Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wheelchair user refused entry to Dublin Nightclub.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

If he was refused entry because of the stairs, than the bouncers did their jobs here. Not the bouncers fault the business doesn't have suffucient access arrangements. The business should have ramps for equal access, however think about how many nightclubs in Dublin actually have these facilities?? Never been to Madison but I wouldn't be boycotting them because of this unless you're also going to boycott Coppers, D2 etc. etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    What was he planning on doing if he did get in?

Huh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Steve O

P_1 wrote: »
    Interesting question.

On the one hand it is discriminating against people who can't climb stairs due to disability and/or other reasons

On the other hand installing disabled access to this place would more than likely cripple the business, leaving people out of jobs.

Which argument should take precedence?

They're renting the building, the business would have nothing to do with the facilities.

Every LL or building owner should have facilities for wheelchair access in buildings used to serve the public.

It is utterly unacceptable to get refused from any business premise purely for being in a wheelchair.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Just gone on their Facebook page and their is a public apology and a statement that the doorman has been dismissed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

I've been refused entry to various clubs for wearing the wrong colour shoes, being too drunk (despite being sober), because I was wearing a hat, because I looked too young (despite having ID), and several times for no apparent reason.

What nightclub bouncers do is discriminate and someone in a wheelchair going about a place full of drunks isnt a good idea. He should have done whatever everyone else does when turned away. Just call the bouncer a fat cúnt and go somewhere else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I would have assumed they have some sort of lift access, how do staff get inventory into the establishment safely if they don't have a lift for access?

I think it's also the law that any public premises has to have disabled access, or maybe that's just government buildings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

Based on appearance he's the kinda lad you'd usher in, and then go out of your way to accomodate so I don't know what this place's issue was but fire hazard shouldn't be one?!

I'm sure he'd have traded off that minor risk considering having made the effort to get there... Madison squares, cramped club or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,340 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

marcsignal wrote: »
    Don't know what the excuse is, but suffice to say, he's not a happy man.

No idea who the two bints are, sorry.
    Well if you don't kmow the reason then maybe you shouldn't be starting this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Don't know what the excuse is, but suffice to say, he's not a happy man.

Was he not banned for bottling someone a few weeks ago? (see how that works?)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Mushy wrote: »
    Was it not because of the stairs?

If not, its disgusting and should be taken to the cleaners.
    dan1895 wrote: »
    There still should be a ramp or lift in place in this day and age

Not really as feasible as you think in Dublin. A lot of the buildings are old and couldn't handle a lift.

That said, there is no lift in the place I work, Wheelchair users still get in in any way they want because bouncers will lift them and their wheelchairs if needs be. Where I work is full of stairs, and yet we'll still make it happen. Why can Madison not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

I really don't get facebook witch hunts. Last time I checked that one single post had 16,000 likes in 3 hours.

This all coming from one man posting his side of the arguement on a business' public page.

Anything the Business says now will be rubbished regardless of the circumstances. The Staff are the ones who will suffer the most out of all of this.

If this man wanted to be taken serious he should have taken legal advice on the issue on Monday morning and leave facebook witch hunts to the Justin Bieber fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

ScumLord wrote: »
    I would have assumed they have some sort of lift access, how do staff get inventory into the establishment safely if they don't have a lift for access?

I think it's also the law that any public premises has to have disabled access, or maybe that's just government buildings?

They carry it down the stairs.

From my knowledge of the building I can't see where a lift could go which leaves 3 options:

1 - They install a stair lift
    2 - The staff carry the punter concerned down the stairs
    3 - The staff explain that sadly the facilities aren't there for the punter concerned to enter the premises safely

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

Was he not banned for bottling someone a few weeks ago? (see how that works?)

effectively saying "wasn't he banned" is the more to this?

Is this the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭MoneyMilo

It is clear from their apology that they do have the facilities to accommodate people in wheelchairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

ScumLord wrote: »

There are plenty of pubs with no lift, a nightclub wouldn't be so different.

The lorry workers can get the kegs to the basement and the staff can leave the empties outside.
    Used to lose 2 stone every summer with the lifting stock up and down the stairs

Sorting out the mineral bottles in the yard on a summers day is a terrible job, the wasps come to join you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭con1421

Who the hell are those hot chicks in the pic? :-p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

I really don't get facebook witch hunts. Last time I checked that one single post had 16,000 likes in 3 hours.

This all coming from one man posting his side of the arguement on a business' public page.

Anything the Business says now will be rubbished regardless of the circumstances. The Staff are the ones who will suffer the most out of all of this.

If this man wanted to be taken serious he should have taken legal advice on the issue on Monday morning and leave facebook witch hunts to the Justin Bieber fans.

Its what people do now, instead of contacting the companies and complaining they hit social media to whip up an angry mob.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

fullstop wrote: »
    Well if you don't kmow the reason then maybe you shouldn't be starting this thread.

He had a good enough reason to post in on FB himself, the quote in the OP were his own words, and they have now posted a full apology on their FB page. I think they know their position.

Anyway, result :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Steve O

con1421 wrote: »
    Who the hell are those hot chicks in the pic? :-p

That's just insensitive.

effectively saying "wasn't he banned" is the more to this?

Is this the case.

No, my point was there could be a number of reasons to be refused entry and it's only fair that the OP found out what reason was actually given before starting a thread to run down a business.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

Did they actually state that the reason they refused him admission is because he's in a wheelchair? Not that I'm doubting it.. but I'd be reluctant to react angrily to it based on just one person's account.

You've basically just described the entire internet in ten words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

That venue is downstairs

Call me cynical, but even from the language used in the OP, I truly have a sneaking suspicion that Graham and his friend knew this and wanted to make a point.

I have a friend in a wheelchair and I get around on crutches myself and we've never had any issues getting into any nightclub/bar, etc.

Only once have I ever been knocked over on my back by a guy who was drunk and fell back himself by accident, but that's the risk you take.

My friend I DO worry about her flipping backwards in the wheelchair and doing herself a serious injury, so I could understand if door staff were to refuse either or both of us entry for our own safety.

I'm all for equality, rights, etc for disabled people, but I'd sooner be more mindful of the practical considerations.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

In fairness to the business, they seem to have dealt with it quickly and without reservation. That has to be applauded in a day and age where denial or a wall of silence is usually the first port of call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Still no answer as to what reason was given for refusing him entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Madam_X wrote: »
    Still no answer as to what reason was given for refusing him entry.

Reading the OP and the apology from management, it would appear the reason that he was not allowed access was that he is a wheel chair user.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

He had a good enough reason to post in on FB himself, the quote in the OP were his own words, and they have now posted a full apology on their FB page. I think they know their position.

They know their position alright. They have been backed into a corner by baseless claims on facebook.

It has generated 20,000 likes in 4 hours. By morning at that rate it will have 80,000 likes. Thats a lot of bad publicity.

I have seen a similar complaint on the facebook page of the company where I work but a different department. I knew the full story and the one which was posted to the page couldn't have been much different. On investigation into the post it got 40 likes, every like was a friend of the person who posted it.

That hows this mob frenzy mentality gets started.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

We got to hear one person's side of the story. A witch hunt was started against the venue. Their FB page bombarded with abusive comments forcing them to do the only thing possible not to make the situation any worse...accept blame and apologise. And now a man has been fired without even a chance to give his side of the story. Congrats OP if this is what you consider a result.

Well I know my dad was wheelchair reliant due to losing a leg and he never had that issue, not in high Wycombe anyhow. Where he'd moved to and even owned a pub there in that condition.

Personally I think you should make concessions, more for such than deny entitlements more.

-but If the place is indeed cramped then fcuk it. I dunno that place

Reading the OP and the apology from management, it would appear the reason that he was not allowed access was that he is a wheel chair user.

Or that a security guard/bouncer didn't follow proper guidelines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

he cant get in
    because their is a downstairs to get into the club
    staff are not letting him in not because hes in a wheelchair
    because it could be too dangerous
    imagin he fell out of the chair down the stairs? the club would have to close , because they would get their ass handed to them in court because they let him in

its nothing to do with him been in a wheelchair
    if their was a lift down to the club well then he would get in
    his friends can of course argue the point saying they will help him up and down the stairs but that fact is , their not insured to do that in the club , so the owners of the club would not have a leg to stand on in court (excuse the pun)

although i do think the staff handled the situation terrible, bouncers arnt exactly the nicest when it comes to arguing at the front doors haha , and not too mention be embarressing for the fella like that
    he should take them to court anyway because it would be a win win from him :/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement