Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seananigans

Lads to the Dublin supporters club run buses down ton matches or the like.

not sure if i'll be able to head form Dubland sunday,but need to explore my options, havent seen a game live since munstyer final 2011 :-(

the curse of emigration.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

mccarthy37 wrote: »
    My big worry for our match against Clare next Sunday is the hiding we took from Clare at under 21 in Ennis last year. WE also lost heavily to Tip in minor. Now we taught we had plenty of talent on these panels at the start of last year. These are the players of the future for Waterford and its very hard to see how they will turn these poor results around as some of them don the senior jersey this year. With all the good work that's being done at school level it doesn't seem to be following through. All through the noughties we moulded a senior team from underage that never achieved much. But still we never won the big prize. Great win for WIT today it might trickle down to the lads for Sunday. Here's hoping for a good match that will hold us all in our seats for the full 70 minutes and banish the memory of last year at the same venue. Best of luck to Dungarvan Colleges for Sunday also in another tough match to call.

I was surprised at how 1 sided the U21 game was in Ennis last year. clare, I expected to be very good but I expected a lot more from Waterford considering they met in back to back Munster finals at minor grade.

Just looked at Clare's team from the Crystal Cup final and there's no doubt about it but that they will be fielding a strong team. Honan will probably start, and I'd say Conlon who wasn't involved that day will come in too as they look to strengthen even more.

We will field the strongest team available to us. I think the backline is pretty certain barring injuries in terms of who will be there for the championship. Personnel between the half foward line and midfield is between 7 at most I reckon. The corner forward spots are where most of the uncertainty lies as there are 6 players battling for two spots. Management will name the strongest team available to them in their opinion for now on Sunday, which may change by the time championship roles round. Maurice Shanahan is the only player out as far as I'm aware. I'm gonna make a prediction that 13 of Sunday's team will start against Clare in the championship, provided all 15 are fit.

With all this in consideration, I reckon it's going to be a good game on Sunday, or at least a good contest.

Don't think Honan will start, I think yesterdays Fitzgibbon QF was his first start of the year.
    Conlon will start, Nicky O Connell is a doubt. Conor McGrath out for most of the league, a big loss up front

Full back line is an area Waterford should be targeting imo. Cian Dillon is out for most of the league so James Mac in at 3, last years U21 full back could make his debut in the corner, David McInerney.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

robopaddy wrote: »
    Fancy tipp to bate the cats this year. Theyll be hurting after last year and they have the players to turn it around. Dont see galway repeating last years exploits. Cork i think are gonners. Staring relegation in the face and could be looking at christy ring status in a couple years. The talent just isnt there anymore and expect a few more hurlers to turn to the big ball in order to get success

Don't you worry about us robopaddy we'll be back sooner rather than later.The hurlers are in Cork they just need a bit of confidence and no better man than JBM to do that.Cork headed for the Christy Ring cup there's too much passion for hurling and a tradition of hurling in Cork for that to happen.As for you're remarks about the big ball i'd say Cads and Aidan Walsh etc won't be long giving up the football if Conor Counihan persists with the sideways basketball game.:D

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Lads to the Dublin supporters club run buses down ton matches or the like.

not sure if i'll be able to head form Dubland sunday,but need to explore my options, havent seen a game live since munstyer final 2011 :-(

the curse of emigration.

I'd say you weren't the only one that emigrated after that match :P
    Hidalgo wrote: »
    Don't think Honan will start, I think yesterdays Fitzgibbon QF was his first start of the year.
    Conlon will start, Nicky O Connell is a doubt. Conor McGrath out for most of the league, a big loss up front

Full back line is an area Waterford should be targeting imo. Cian Dillon is out for most of the league so James Mac in at 3, last years U21 full back could make his debut in the corner, David McInerney.

Maybe, but he came on in the Crystal cup. It is the league like, not the championship so he's only missed a month and had at least two weeks to recover.

Conor McGrath's absence is definitely the big plus for us. Having said that Maurice was very effective last year in the league.

Our two corner forwards will be young and inexperienced. Reckon it will be Brian O'Sullivan and Jake Dillon (who has yet to start a competitive game for Waterford so I think Shane Walsh will be pivotal for us, though I guess that was always going to be the case with Mullane gone.

• Advertisement

It was worse than that again, I framed a trip home around the tall ships and the match.

In hindsight,wished i'd swopped weekends and gone to see 50 feckin cent

Maybe, but he came on in the Crystal cup. It is the league like, not the championship so he's only missed a month and had at least two weeks to recover.

Conor McGrath's absence is definitely the big plus for us. Having said that Maurice was very effective last year in the league.

Our two corner forwards will be young and inexperienced. Reckon it will be Brian O'Sullivan and Jake Dillon (who has yet to start a competitive game for Waterford so I think Shane Walsh will be pivotal for us, though I guess that was always going to be the case with Mullane gone.

Shane Walsh will really have to carry the inside line, which I think he's capable of. It'll be interesting to see how Jake Dillon gets on, always thought he was impressive under age.

If Honan isn't fit enough to last the full game, I think he could be more dangerous if sprung from the bench in the last quarter of an hour if the game has opened up and he has space to gallop

(is Eamon Murphy on the senior panel, he came on for UL in the Fitzgibbon QF yesterday

Shane Walsh will really have to carry the inside line, which I think he's capable of. It'll be interesting to see how Jake Dillon gets on, always thought he was impressive under age.

If Honan isn't fit enough to last the full game, I think he could be more dangerous if sprung from the bench in the last quarter of an hour if the game has opened up and he has space to gallop

(is Eamon Murphy on the senior panel, he came on for UL in the Fitzgibbon QF yesterday

Yeah he's well capable alright.

True enough I guess, always good to have an impact sub.

He wasn't on the original panel, scored 4 points against Waterford in the crystal cup when we lost to UL though. Haven't seen any mention of him though from subsequent challenge games though. He's a player that has great pace and could do damage but would need a lot of coaching, even just watching him last year for the intermediates he ran into the corner way too often. Wasn't too surprised he wasn't starting for UL, and to be honest if your not starting on the college team your not good enough to be featuring for a County team, though maybe he should be on the panel.

There's two good articles here although the second one has nothing to do with Waterford i decided to link it anyway because it was very well put together.

http://www.livegaelic.com/features/waterford-hurling-a-season-preview-for-2013/

http://www.livegaelic.com/features/cork-hurling-the-jbm-era-so-far/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Deise Hurler

Black Suir wrote: »
    Ken was there in '96. He had a great game against Clare in Bansha. It was the night that Waterford had a Sub keeper ready to go on. He was warming up for much of the second half but never went on. These were the days I think you could only use three subs, and I dont think any selector would think of changing a keeper during a game unless they had to. There must be something wrong with the keeper that night. I think he was from Mount Sion/Roanmore or Passage. However he did not come off. Whether it was the case he would not come off or the selectors were taking a gamble on him and only had the sub keeper warm up as a just in case.

Team in 96 had trevor flynn and brendan landers as goalies. Trevor Flynn played with Mount Sion at the time and later on he transferred to Roanmore. Eoin Murphy and James Murray would have also been on that team as well as Ken of course.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

is der any chance of eoin murphy coming back? wat a player he was. still going strong scored abt 20 points for WIT der yesterday

is der any chance of eoin murphy coming back? wat a player he was. still going strong scored abt 20 points for WIT der yesterday

That lad is a Kilkenny hurler, and he scored 8, with 6 from frees.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

From Hoganstand. Clare with a few injury probs ahead of Sunday
    Clare have an injury crisis on their hands as the national hurling league looms.

The Banner County open their Division 1A campaign against manager Davy Fitzgerald's former charges Waterford at Ennis this weekend and will be without five key men.

Former captain Brian O'Connell, Cian Dillon, Nicky O'Connell, Conor McGrath and Darach Honan will all miss out on the game, which is a dress rehearsal for this summer's Munster SHC meeting of the same two teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭glick6

Well. Bring on some decent competitive hurling. Cannot wait for Sunday and I hope we get a decent crowd travelling.

I have heard about a couple of injuries that will probably affect Sunday.

Eamonn Murphy is on the panel, yes, for those asking.

The team that I would like to see on Sunday, having been to most of the inter county and college games so far would be...

O'Keefe
    Daniels
    Lawlor
    Connors
    Nagle
    Brick
    Darragh Fives
    O'Sullivan
    Moran
    Brian O'Halloran
    Seamus
    Pauric Mahony
    Brian O'Sullivan
    Martin O'Neill
    Jake Dillon

I think from 1-9 very, very strong. In the front we have players who will want to prove a point for numerous different reasons. Watch for the big man going in full forward at some stage. Been very good at full forward on a couple of the challenge games.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

I was surprised at how 1 sided the U21 game was in Ennis last year. clare, I expected to be very good but I expected a lot more from Waterford considering they met in back to back Munster finals at minor grade.

The main reason why there was a gulf in performance between the two sides last year at U21 is due to the two different policies the county board of either county chose when selecting management for this grade. The management team that oversaw the two Clare minor teams that won munster in 2010 and 2011 were appointed as the management team for the U21 in 2012. The progress the management made with these players when they were minor was continued at U21.

However in Waterford the county board would not do this as they usually fall out with the minor management every year no matter who is there and so the same management is never appointed at U21. End result is a whole new management team is appointed at U21 who never oversaw the development of players from underage and so no commitment or loyalty between the players or management team exist. The waterford county board have repeated the same mistake again this year and I think we should consider given ye a walkover to save us the embarrassment of another humiliating defeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

glick6 wrote: »
    Well. Bring on some decent competitive hurling. Cannot wait for Sunday and I hope we get a decent crowd travelling.

I have heard about a couple of injuries that will probably affect Sunday.

Eamonn Murphy is on the panel, yes, for those asking.

The team that I would like to see on Sunday, having been to most of the inter county and college games so far would be...

O'Keefe
    Daniels
    Lawlor
    Connors
    Nagle
    Brick
    Darragh Fives
    O'Sullivan
    Moran
    Brian O'Halloran
    Seamus
    Pauric Mahony
    Brian O'Sullivan
    Martin O'Neill
    Jake Dillon

I think from 1-9 very, very strong. In the front we have players who will want to prove a point for numerous different reasons. Watch for the big man going in full forward at some stage. Been very good at full forward on a couple of the challenge games.

Any word on Waterford's injuries?

Do we get the teasmsheet tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

Do we get the teasmsheet tonight?
    It's being announced around 8.30PM according to @waterfordgaa

solarith wrote: »
    It's being announced around 8.30PM according to @waterfordgaa

Just up

WD v CE - O'Keeffe,S. Fives,Lawlor,Connors,Nagle,Walsh, Moran, S. OSullivan,Twomey,Halloran,S Prendergast,Dillon,O’Brien,Mahony,B OSullivan

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

Just up

WD v CE - O'Keeffe,S. Fives,Lawlor,Connors,Nagle,Walsh, Moran, S. OSullivan,Twomey,Halloran,S Prendergast,Dillon,O’Brien,Mahony,B OSullivan

Decent team. Few new lads getting a chance this year with S Fives, D Twomey, B Halloran, J Dillon on the starting team and the welcome return of B O'Sullivan. I hope it goes well for them. Clare are an up and coming team with some exceptional young hurlers like Tony Kelly, John Conlon and others which will make it an interesting contest. Any word on the injury list, are players such as D Fives, S Daniels, M O'Neill, R Foley, S Walsh and a few others fit to play.

• Advertisement

alllcounty wrote: »
    Decent team. Few new lads getting a chance this year with S Fives, D Twomey, B Halloran, J Dillon on the starting team and the welcome return of B O'Sullivan. I hope it goes well for them. Clare are an up and coming team with some exceptional young hurlers like Tony Kelly, John Conlon and others which will make it an interesting contest. Any word on the injury list, are players such as D Fives, S Daniels, M O'Neill, R Foley, S Walsh and a few others fit to play.

I think Darragh Fives and Daniels will play some part. Martin O Neill started for WIT, but came off. Not sure if hes injured or just dropped. Dunno anything about the other two to be honest.

I know i shouldn't expect anythin, I know that i should write off the year,but if theres one thing i know about the Déise , we don't give up, we don't play the odds, we don't quit when people say we should and we ony lose when people say we shouldnt.

This year can end badly , but who would have thought in 08 after losing to wexford we would be in an AI ?

Im going in as a blind fool ,and i hope if we win or lose,we do so with heart and style

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

alllcounty wrote: »

The main reason why there was a gulf in performance between the two sides last year at U21 is due to the two different policies the county board of either county chose when selecting management for this grade. The management team that oversaw the two Clare minor teams that won munster in 2010 and 2011 were appointed as the management team for the U21 in 2012. The progress the management made with these players when they were minor was continued at U21.

However in Waterford the county board would not do this as they usually fall out with the minor management every year no matter who is there and so the same management is never appointed at U21. End result is a whole new management team is appointed at U21 who never oversaw the development of players from underage and so no commitment or loyalty between the players or management team exist. The waterford county board have repeated the same mistake again this year and I think we should consider given ye a walkover to save us the embarrassment of another humiliating defeat.
    yea blame the co board for that loss.. or evven better still the good old divisional boards
    burn em to the ground i say

Best of luck tomorrow lad's.It's up to the younger forwards to step up to the plate now starting tomorrow afternoon.Oh and Robopaddy it's only the league and all that but Cork didn't exactly look like Christy Ring cup material tonight!:D:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

Best of luck tomorrow lad's.It's up to the younger forwards to step up to the plate now starting tomorrow afternoon.Oh and Robopaddy it's only the league and all that but Cork didn't exactly look like Christy Ring cup material tonight!:D:pac:

Listened to the match on Tipp FM tonight sounded very one sided. Great win all the same JMB's mushroom's are coming into harvest. Hope we don't get that kind of hiding tomorrow. Again well done Horgan sounded great.

mccarthy37 wrote: »
    Listened to the match on Tipp FM tonight sounded very one sided. Great win all the same JMB's mushroom's are coming into harvest. Hope we don't get that kind of hiding tomorrow. Again well done Horgan sounded great.

Im taking nothing for granted Tipp were a disgrace tonight but at least all this talk of infighting in the Cork camp has been put to rest.I think there's a good performance in Waterford tomorrow and i've been hearing a lot of promising things about young Jake Dillon.Waterford are very strong from positions 1-9.If some of the forwards step up to the plate this year then Waterford will surprise teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

Im taking nothing for granted Tipp were a disgrace tonight but at least all this talk of infighting in the Cork camp has been put to rest.I think there's a good performance in Waterford tomorrow and i've been hearing a lot of promising things about young Jake Dillon.Waterford are very strong from positions 1-9.If some of the forwards step up to the plate this year then Waterford will surprise teams.

If our local priest sees me at mass tomorrow he'll have a great laugh of me, he's a Cork man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Best of luck to the seniors tomorrow, just have a feeling we might get a result, please god we will. If we even put in a good performance and the younger lads show what they can do, I won't be too disappointed. It's gonna torture me not being able to even listen to this game but hopefully someone can stick up a report after the game and I'll get an idea of how we did.

Also the very best of luck to Dungarvan colleges in the Harty final, hopefully they do the business too. If we get one win from those two games tomorrow, it won't be too bad.

Up the Deise

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭shoddy14

Just heard that the U-21 football team wont train this year and will be picked on player form over the last few years. This is an absolute disgrace and embarrassment, Players were only contacted this week and asked about their availability for championship in 3 weeks time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

...lol?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement