Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Theres a British man, Rob Cooke, who moved to Canada a few ago with his wife Louise, and their siberian huskies. He has been entering various races over there, and qualified last winter for the Yukon Quest, a 1000 mile sled dog race. he's in the middle of running the Quest now, with his team of sibes, and is about to leave the Central checkpoint to go over Eagle Summit, a rather large hill. this is a video from 2 years ago, with Sebastian Schneulle and his dogs working together to get up it. I'm going to bed now with my hot water bottle, while Rob lives my dream and tackles Eagle. Fair play to him and his amazing dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Does anyone have any recommendations of any good, heavy duty balls? Every time we get henry a new ball he has it torn to pieces in about two minutes. We've tried squeaky balls, tennis balls, any kind we can find but he always manages to chew through them in an amazingly quick time. We got two "indestructible balls" today, he destroyed his then stole Jake's and wrecked that too in about 5 minutes!

166708_4238268804795_230127589_n.jpg

I'm not even going to get started on the bed he's gone through, that's all sorted now though thankfully we've started crate training him so he has that and some blankets, nothing to chew!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Kongs are the only ones that Lexi hasnt managed to destroy. I know they arent round but might be an option?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Apart from the heavy duty rubber balls (which seem to be the ones chomped into in your pic!) I dont know of any stronger tennis ball types........but the Egg Ball is great fun, its a hard plastic egg shaped ball thats very difficult for the dog to actually grab hold of so they push/chase it around - now to me it seems a bit frustrating but the woofs seem highly entertained and its pretty indestructible. Zooplus have them:
    http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_toys_dog_training/intelligence_games/146815

• Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭tk123

TillyGirl wrote: »
    Kongs are the only ones that Lexi hasnt managed to destroy. I know they arent round but might be an option?!

Kong make roundy balls - they do them normal/red and also in extreme/black ;) I got one so we could play ball without having to worry about the other dogs wrecking the ball and it's lasted fine. The only thing with the black one apart from it being a bit hard to find at times is that it's quite heavy since it's made out of the extreme rubber - if a dog got a bang of it they'd be seeing stars flying around their head lol :pac:

@ISDW - all i could think of when I read Yukon Quest is Snow Buddies with the retriever and husky puppies lol :pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

We had one for millie, sort of like this.

We were the same as you, trying to find something that lasted longer than a tennis ball (her favorite toy :)). However everything we came across was way too heavy duty. I mean, it would hurt your toe if she dropped it on your foot. The one we found (from aldi I think) was really light weight, had two holes either side and was completely hollow. It bounced really high and she loved it to pieces.

I know it's not a ball but this(minus the rope they have attached) is the best purchase we have made. We have had it for ages and she still hasn't been able to tear it apart.
    maggiepip wrote: »
    Egg Ball is great fun, its a hard plastic egg shaped ball thats very difficult for the dog to actually grab hold of so they push/chase it around - now to me it seems a bit frustrating but the woofs seem highly entertained

Reminds me of when I gave Millie an old basketball I had found. She couldn't get a grip of the ball so she just ended up chasing it around the yard barking at it. Same goes for the Frisbee I gave her. When it flipped over to the side with no edges, all you would heard from outside would be a bark, a growl and the scrape of the plastic on the concrete.

Orbee balls thou expensive are brilliant as well - my friends dog got hold of ours a few times and it was grand. You need to make sure you're getting a size appropriate ball too btw - there's no point in getting and extra tough one if its too small - the dog will be able to chomp down on it! The orbee ones have a lovely minty smell too lol! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

We bought indestructible balls and harley had no interest in them. So now I go to heatons and I buy a fivers worth at a time. At 50 cent each, that lasts us for a while.

I was thinking of getting one of the kong ones, we have a normal kong which hasn't been destroyed yet, I thought the ones I got today were pretty much the same material, apparently not! For a jack russell he's one hell of a chewer, Jake was never really into that type of destroying stuff. The pity is he loves playing fetch but the balls don't seem to last long enough to get a chance to play any more.

I might give that egg one a go and try and pick up a kong ball. It's becoming a bit of a challenge between me and my mum to see if we can find one he won't chew!

Just found this on reddit. Beautiful coat. So unusual.

irAIHUm.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

My dogs just showed their love for me by rolling in fox poo :(

So after 3 washes, they have just been released from the torture chamber (downstairs bathroom) and are rampaging through the house shaking and trying to rub off the awful stink of doggy shampoo (orange blossom and something, smells lovely to me) and I foiled their cunning plan by closing the bedroom doors(usually head straight for my bed:() so they are sulking and giving me The Look!
    I meanwhile am tired, soaked and stinky!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

mymo wrote: »

So after 3 washes, they have just been released from the torture chamber (downstairs bathroom) and are rampaging through the house shaking and trying to rub off the awful stink of doggy shampoo (orange blossom and something, smells lovely to me) and I foiled their cunning plan by closing the bedroom doors(usually head straight for my bed:() so they are sulking and giving me The Look!

I have the tiniest little puppy here at the minute, a cavalier/chi cross. I'm not a small dog person by any means but this one is a little sweetheart. Anyhow, we were all out in the garden this morning when the puppy started doing the 'roll of shame' - ie the rubbing the neck roll over into something horrible. When I went over to investigate assuming it was poo of some variety I was expecting the worst.
    Turns out it was a dead worm, she was keeping things to scale:D

Mine once found a dead fish...several days old
    They knew they made a mistake, wouldn't even walk near each other on the way home! :D

Bloody fox poo, think I can still smell it!

Oh Jake used to have a massive thing for rolling in dead fish on the beach.

Henry just rolls in everything, he's obsessed with rubbing himself against the evergreen trees in our back garden lately. He also has a rash at the moment so has to have baths in extra stinky shampoo three times a week. It's not easy! He's escaped several times and isn't used to his feet being wet so slides everywhere for a while!

Tomato ketchup is brilliant for getting rid of the smell. :)

Thanks, must get some.
    It was my imagination, they smell fine now dry.

Mouse the kitten sat the other side of the shower screen watching everything, and jumping at the glass to catch splashes, would have loved to video it. She chased them about and licked Oliver dry when done, my daughter thinks she has species confusion!
    She plays fetch too, she's more of a dog than the dogs!

We have had to stop leaving cushions on the back of the couch, because the boys steal them to sleep on. So I started putting them into the blanket box before going to bed (the cushions, not the boys ;) )

I got up this morning to find paw prints all over the top of the blanket box where someone tried to get into it to get the cushions out. Now it's not like they're sleeping on the floor, they have 2 couches to choose from, 2 crates which are always open, and a big cushion on the floor.

Lord Harley and Lord Phoe however need my nice clean textured cushions for their distinguished arses. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

Had to buy new trainers, Lola ate em all including a pair of jeans.

This is the first night ever I'm wishing I didn't have to go to work. Feeling very lazy and snug on the couch with my boys.

Must. Move.

It's not that cold out, right? :o

ISDW does that ketchup thing really work? How do you use it?

I think its a chemical reaction between the ketchup and the poo. Just squirt it on, wearing rubber gloves, rub it in well and then rinse it out.

How ironic, there is an ad on my screen across from this for Heinz tomato ketchup - big brother is watching us.

• Advertisement

We went on a long walk today, both boys are snoring their heads off at the moment.

Phoe fell into the river while we were climbing across on a fallen tree (it's not deep) he landed on his back so his head totally submerged. I was very proud, he hopped back up and clambered across again :) brave little fella.

K was breaking his heart laughing at the poor little thing.

Then on the way back across, K decided to try jump it......... and fell in.

karmalogo.png

One of Bailey's friends snapped at him today - my friend was giving treats to some of the dogs and Bailey walked by - she (the dog not my friend lol) went ballistic at him but a strange thing happened that's never happened before - he growled and barked back at her and put her in her place!! I was shocked and being honest a little but proud that he stood up for himself and he came to my side when I called of him. A gripe of mine - the other dog and her brother don't wear collars and are never on lead...oh and they're both intact with her still running around the park when she's in heat! :mad:

tk123 wrote: »
    A gripe of mine - the other dog and her brother don't wear collars and are never on lead...oh and they're both intact with her still running around the park when she's in heat! :mad:

Did you ever pass that onto their owner?

Never got why some people never used collars or only used them sometimes. If ever you need to get hold of your dog it's handy to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

gavmcg92 wrote: »

Never got why some people never used collars or only used them sometimes. If ever you need to get hold of your dog it's handy to have.
    A guy who walks his dog in the same park as me doesn't have a collar on the dog either... So he grabs the dog by the ear instead. :(

gavmcg92 wrote: »

Tbh I've never had an opportunity to slip it into conversation or the fact that his dog should be spayed. He was standing around laughing last time she was in heat when some of the dogs were showing an interest in her. A friend of his actually held her up into my guys face to try and get a reaction out of him last time.....?!?!?

I want to know how come I saw a photo of AndreaC with Lee Sharpe earlier on today :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Brought Sandy with us today to Renville Park, the other 3 were left home. When we came home I let them all out the back and one of the other dog's got into a fight with Sandy, why is this do you think. Strange smell's?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

3 year today since we got Ozzie. He's such a happy dog, he makes me laugh all the time. Couldn't be without him.

ISDW wrote: »
    I want to know how come I saw a photo of AndreaC with Lee Sharpe earlier on today :D

Where was this?
    You mean some of you are real people????:p

• Advertisement

Where was this?
    You mean some of you are real people????:p

Lol. I have actually met andrea, so can confirm she is a real person, I'll ask her to come in and tell us how and where she met him, they looked good together :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement