Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Leap" into the unknown: The feedback thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,350 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You will of course, still be able to top-up by €5-€25 'manually'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

Have to say the leap card is a life saver for me. I work in city west and use it to get in and out of the city center for meetings. Very handy. Only slight crib is that the travel history is relatively recent - although I contacted the leap card customer care and got an excel spreadsheet of all transactions. Got to get the oul expenses claim in!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Surveyor11 wrote: »
    Have to say the leap card is a life saver for me. I work in city west and use it to get in and out of the city center for meetings. Very handy. Only slight crib is that the travel history is relatively recent - although I contacted the leap card customer care and got an excel spreadsheet of all transactions. Got to get the oul expenses claim in!

Is this the real Mick Wallace TD ??????? WoW :eek:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

I dont use the leap card but I was surprised to see adverts on a bus the other morning saying dont forget to tag off. I didnt think you needed to do that on buses?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,615 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

These apparently were incorrectly placed there by an external contractor in error - they were supposed to have been removed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

lxflyer wrote: »
    These apparently were incorrectly placed there by an external contractor in error - they were supposed to have been removed.

Thanks, They must have missed a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,800 ✭✭✭Polar101

Victor wrote: »
    You will of course, still be able to top-up by €5-€25 'manually'.

Yes, but it still auto top-ups when the balance falls below €10. I'd probably use this feature only if the balance limit was €5 and the auto top-up amount was €10. That would work for me even if it had the 'one auto top-up every 5 days' restriction.

liger wrote: »
    I dont use the leap card but I was surprised to see adverts on a bus the other morning saying dont forget to tag off. I didnt think you needed to do that on buses?
    If you see any of them, take the bus number (typically something like AV123) or registration and report it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Polar101 wrote: »
    Yes, but it still auto top-ups when the balance falls below €10. I'd probably use this feature only if the balance limit was €5 and the auto top-up amount was €10. That would work for me even if it had the 'one auto top-up every 5 days' restriction.

Yeah, as it is there it practically makes your 5euro deposit a 15euro deposit...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Dropped below 10 at 6 this evening, automatically topped up when I got the bus 5 minutes ago

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭ThreeLineWhip

Am I right in saying that the exact details of each journey are not recorded?

I can only see the tag on and off times and the fare charged, I don't see any locations recorded.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,269 ✭✭✭markpb

I can only see the tag on and off times and the fare charged, I don't see any locations recorded.

AFAIK no locations are recorded because the great people in the DPC decided it would be a breach of data protection if the transport operators disclosed personal travel details to an outside authority (HP/NTA). It's a pity because one of the great benefits of smartcards as transit tickets is the amount of data it gives planners about travel patterns in a city.

Edit: it's probably still possible for individual operators to gather location data but it's less useful.

Date, time and place (or stage and bus in the case of a buses) and a few other details are recorded on the card for the last 5 journeys.

All the details are recorded by the transport operator.

Leap Card is provided with the information to adjust your card history and separately can access anonymised information for transport planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Dropped below 10 at 6 this evening, automatically topped up when I got the bus 5 minutes ago

Can someone explain how this works?

I thought the buses only updated at midnight or something when in the garage. If Leinster Dub was able to pick up a top up a few hours later on a bus then why is there not an option to pick up a top up from the bus instead of from Payzone outlet?

Confused:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

It is an auto-top-up. It works a completely different way from a web top-up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Seaswimmer wrote: »

I thought the buses only updated at midnight or something when in the garage. If Leinster Dub was able to pick up a top up a few hours later on a bus then why is there not an option to pick up a top up from the bus instead of from Payzone outlet?

He didn't "pick up topup" on the bus, in the traditional sense of online topup.

There's testing going on for another topup solution called "auto topup," or "autoload," depending on who you talk to about it.

Basically the card is set up, so that once the credit falls below a certain value, it will topup by a value that has been set by the user.

So, the card will auto topup for him on DUblin Bus/Luas/Irish Rail, once the balance on the card goes below 10euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Seaswimmer wrote: »

I would imagine that the bus validators are able to recognise the cards which have auto top-up set up and when those cards drop below the minimum they will top up automatically because the machine takes it as given that the direct debit is in place to pay for the top-up. This cant be done with the normal web top-up as it requires some communication with the ticket machine that there has been a payment online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

I dont know how that'd work though. What happens if a Direct Debit is rejected?

MarkMc wrote: »
    If your DD fails your card could be updated the next time you use it at a connected point such as luas and Irish rail validators or payzone outlet.

MarkMc wrote: »

Their T&C's state the following under section 3.4
    (k) If an Auto Top-Up instruction for a Leap Card is rejected by a Leap Card customer’s financial institution, the Authority reserves the right to do any or all of the following without advance notification:

i.Cancel the Leap Card.

ii.Suspend the use of the Leap Card for such period as may be determined by the Authority.

iii.Recover from the Leap Card customer the amount of any rejected transaction plus all costs incurred (including legal costs on a full indemnity basis) by the Authority for the recovery of any such amounts.

iv.Withdraw the Auto Top-Up facility from the Leap Card customer.

v.Disqualify the Leap Card customer from applying for any new Auto Top-Up facility for such length of time as may be determined to be appropriate by the Authority.

vi.Deduct or set-off any monies owing to the Authority from the remaining value and any Deposit in respect of the Leap Card.

• Advertisement

Auto top up will be a thieves charter.

There will be a window where the system can be abused.

Their T&C's state the following under section 3.4
    (k) If an Auto Top-Up instruction for a Leap Card is rejected by a Leap Card customer’s financial institution, the Authority reserves the right to do any or all of the following without advance notification:

i.Cancel the Leap Card.

ii.Suspend the use of the Leap Card for such period as may be determined by the Authority.

iii.Recover from the Leap Card customer the amount of any rejected transaction plus all costs incurred (including legal costs on a full indemnity basis) by the Authority for the recovery of any such amounts.

iv.Withdraw the Auto Top-Up facility from the Leap Card customer.

v.Disqualify the Leap Card customer from applying for any new Auto Top-Up facility for such length of time as may be determined to be appropriate by the Authority.

vi.Deduct or set-off any monies owing to the Authority from the remaining value and any Deposit in respect of the Leap Card.
    Auto top up will be a thieves charter.

There will be a window where the system can be abused.
    How can they cancel your card or change your auto top-up details on the card if you only use it on Dublin buses and never use it in any other validators?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

foggy_lad wrote: »
    How can they cancel your card or change your auto top-up details on the card if you only use it on Dublin buses and never use it in any other validators?

There is a hot list stored on every single terminal on all operators

You would have a good 4 to 6 days of travel before a failed DD would show up.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I'm on the trial and it seems to work well. It really should have been in place since day one. Much more useful then "web top-up".

However the big issue with it is the cost of it. It basically means your card will always have a minimum of €45 on it:

- €5 deposit
    - €10 that triggers top-up
    - €30 minimum auto top-up

I believe this is far too much for a card that is supposed for infrequent public transport users.

bk wrote: »
    However the big issue with it is the cost of it. It basically means your card will always have a minimum of €45 on it

Don't you mean it'll fluctuate between €15.01 and €45? :)

I agree though, the €30 minimum put me off applying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

It should be €10 minimum auto top-up, which is triggered when you fall below €5. Considering that there is an additional €5 deposit, that's €10, and no trip will ever cost more than that.

€30 minimum is ridiculous. Never mind the fact that it'd for infrequent users, a lot of people live more or less paycheck-to-paycheck, and €30 in one go is kind of a big deal, especially when you can't necessarily guarantee exactly when your credit will drop below the €10 mark.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,612 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

No chance it's going to €10 I'd say, In London it's £20, although the bus fares are much lower for single trips, so €20-25 would sound about right.

Aard wrote: »
    It should be €10 minimum auto top-up, which is triggered when you fall below €5. Considering that there is an additional €5 deposit, that's €10, and no trip will ever cost more than that.

You can only dip into the deposit once per top. If you have -1c on the card (ie 4.99 left), you can't make any more journeys.

FWIW I think the €10 minimum balance is fine but the €30 minimum topup is too high. On the other hand, they probably don't want people triggering topups all the time because they would (once again) hit the memory limit on the DB TVMs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭n0brain3r

Hi guys sorry to butt in but I was wondering about a refund I received from Veolia.

Basically I couldn't tag off after a cancelled Luas service and I wasn't sure what would happen so I called Leap who put me onto Veolia to query it. They said they'd look into it and a few weeks later the cheque arrived for 90c! Surely this should of been refunded to the card confused.png

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement