Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man Pays €60 Motor Tax Fine With 6,000 1c Coins

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Max Power

Just because they don't have to accept over 50 coins does not make it illegal tender so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

I'm sorry I started this bloody thread now!

Naw, this beats going to the pub.....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Would you rather have 6000 1c coin sized ducks, or one duck sized 1c coin.

Wait...what's this thread about again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

7 7 12 wrote: »
    Such nonsense! Where in the constitution is that paragraph, I must have missed it... ..

When did you last read the constitution anyway?
    Just because they don't have to accept over 50 coins does not make it illegal tender so to speak.

The straws. You are grasping at them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

At the end of the day, if I offered €200,000 for a house and the offer was accepted and legally binding - then I produce €200,000 in 5c coins - they legally must accept my payment as the deal has been signed and coins are legal currency for repayment of debit.
    Yea coins are... 40,000 of them as a single payment aren't. It's not that hard to comprehend!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 368 ✭✭Morph the Cat

At the end of the day, if I offered €200,000 for a house and the offer was accepted and legally binding - then I produce €200,000 in 5c coins - they legally must accept my payment as the deal has been signed and coins are legal currency for repayment of debit.

That may be so (even though it's not - but Ill humour you), but everyone would think you're a knob. So work away - do your thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

If a company has invoices due to be paid, especially from government bodies, the banks will allow you leeway. I know this firsthand. And banks don't "call in their overdraft" - an overdraft is a facility - not a loan to be repaid by a certain date. So the specifics you gave don't even make sense. It's all hearsay.

According to ISME state agencies are among the worst offenders when it comes to late payments.
    ISME also published the SME Credit Watch Winter Survey at the seminar. According to Fielding, “the latest figures clearly show the effect that late payments are having on SMEs, caught in a vicious cycle of non-payment from large businesses and Government agencies. The main offenders are, as usual, the state agencies and big business where delays continue to put massive pressure on SMEs.The Government refuses to tackle this issue, as businesses go to the wall and jobs are lost because of totally inadequate legislation.”

• Registered Users Posts: 20,743 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

COYVB wrote: »
    Nobody is under any obligation to take any amount of coins I believe, or any amount of notes for that matter

The subject of legal tender has been done to death over on the Consumer forum many times. You are correct except where a debt has been created.

For instance if you eat a meal in a restaurant and present a €500 note in payment it is legal tender because a debt has been created. If the owner refuses it you can walk out.

But if you go up to the counter in a shop and offer a €100 note or any note or coins for a bar of chocolate the shopkeeper can refuse it and lose the sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭7 7 12

The subject of legal tender has been done to death over on the Consumer forum many times. You are correct except where a debt has been created.

For instance if you eat a meal in a restaurant and present a €500 note in payment it is legal tender because a debt has been created. If the owner refuses it you can walk out.

But if you go up to the counter in a shop and offer a €100 note or any note or coins for a bar of chocolate the shopkeeper can refuse it and lose the sale.

Yes, this is what I'm trying to say for example if you buy a house a debit has been created and to settle they must accept 40,000 5c coins if that's what you produce. (the important part is bolded)

Otherwise if they don't accept your coins then from a legal standpoint you essentially receive the house for free as the debit is written off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 368 ✭✭Morph the Cat

Yes, this is what I'm trying to say for example if you buy a house a debit has been created and to settle they must accept 40,000 5c coins if that's what you produce. (the important part is bolded)

Otherwise if they don't accept your coins then from a legal standpoint you essentially receive the house for free as the debit is written off.

Do it then, and get a free house. Do it 10 times. The important part is bolded - they HAVE to accept it!!!! You seem so smart. How long did you study law for?

F*cking stupid people....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭28064212

If a debt is already created, the person owed the money must accept legal tender. If there is more than 50 coins in one transaction, it is not legal tender

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

I don't think that's the case

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Since when can traffic wardens do you for tax?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

For a good while now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Yup, it's a fixed fine for non-display of tax.

Not sure of the exact date but they have being doing it for a while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Yawns wrote: »
    Yup, it's a fixed fine for non-display of tax.

Say your tax runs out and the disc is in the post, can it be disputed?

You can but you'd be laughed at. If there's no valid tax disc on your windscreen they will fine you. How are they supposed to know it's taxed if there's no valid tax disc on the windscreen. You will be fined for "non-display of a valid tax disc".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Are you sure you didn't get this scheme off a Scooby-Doo cartoon?

Not if you're in a public place. But if you catch a judge on a good day and show you paid the tax, they can let it go. They don't have to tho.

• Advertisement

Yes you just bring the updated disk into local Garda station and the fine is deleted off the system happened my mate a few years ago

Course it did ;)

What's the next topic change going to be?

Not if you're in a public place. But if you catch a judge on a good day and show you paid the tax, they can let it go. They don't have to tho.
    This is another nonsense post on this thread, just because an invalid tax disk not present what's important is the car is taxed or not

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭28064212

There are two separate offences. One is not having tax on your car. This is a serious offence, and your car can be impounded. The other is "non-display of your tax disc". This is an on-the-spot €60 fine

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

This is another nonsense post on this thread, just because an invalid tax disk not present what's important is the car is taxed or not
    Might be important to you but all the Gardai or traffic warden care about is if it's displayed!

Why would one tax their car and then not display it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

What's the next topic change going to be?

Penguins? Everybody loves penguins.

I'll admit it. From the first post I thought you were going to be one of those terrible re-regged trolls, but at least by your 8th post you've shown a more subtle way of trolling. Instead of just throwing it all out there, you're trying one step at a time.

Your rating went from a D- for effort from post #1 to a c+ til now. Keep it up. You gotta show your work tho, not just the answer!

• Advertisement

orestes wrote: »
    Penguins? Everybody loves penguins.

Oh yes that's a good one! What's the best way to cook a penguin?

Advertisement