Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man Pays €60 Motor Tax Fine With 6,000 1c Coins

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭regress

Story is ridiculous and patently false. There is no obligation now to accept more than 50 coins for a single transaction. Perhaps the journalist who made up the story wasn't aware of that fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

"The Government has approved formal arrangements to reduce the payment period by central Government Departments to their business suppliers from 30 to 15 days."

1) 30 days is standard on all invoices. 15 days is decent of them, TBH.
    2) You still haven't backed up your statement. Nowhere does that article specify that a company went out of business because of the government paying their invoices after 30 days.
    3) Article is from 2009.

Try again.

I know of one civil engineering contractor who went out of business because his cash flow dried up due to late payments from local authorities. The banks called in their overdraft and they were out of business. He received payment from the LA when it was too late. If people are relying on their customers to pay in time and they don't it is obvious that some will go ou of business. The fact that they had to produce a document to instruct government bodies to pay within 15 days should tell you that payments were put on the long finger.

Are you saying long finger tactics are acceptable?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

If I had to stand in a queue behind the ****er I'd most likely want to punch him tho in fairness.

If I was on the other side of the counter, I'd kill him with kindness. Count it all slowly and about halfway through, go for lunch or w/e. Then come back and start again. At the end of it all prob just reject the payment for exceeding too many coins in a single transaction. It'd be even better if no other employee was attending the counter.

Other than that I don't really see the point of it all. Who exactly is he showing who's boss here? The employee gets paid the same regardless of whether they deal with 1 guy with tons of coins or 100 people paying with notes or card. The ticket warden couldn't give a hoots and neither will anyone senior.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Mr. Nice wrote: »
    Touche (fnarr, fnarr) my pedantic friend.

No, no, no, no, no. You can't try to throw that around after you initialised the pedantry yourself. "If he masturbated in the tax office he would be a wanker" indeed. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 368 ✭✭Morph the Cat

So a 1c coin is not legal tender?

He didn't say that though, did he? Try reading slower next time. He said 6000 1c coins isn't legal tender, because nobody has to accept more than 50 coins for repayment of a debt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Madam_X wrote: »
    ............ The people behind the desk? .................

Nazis where only following orders

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    The fact that they had to produce a document to instruct government bodies to pay within 15 days should tell you that payments were put on the long finger.
    I don't think you understand credit or the quote above! Standard practice is 30 days. This was the same with government bodies but it has been dropped to 15 for faster payment. Everyone else still gets 30 days.

Boombastic wrote: »

There we go, the thread can be closed now. Godwin's law in full effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Max Power

Where To wrote: »
    One 1c coin is legal tender, 6000 1c coins isn't.
    Wrong again. He could have 6,000,000,000 1c coins and it's still legal tender. The clerk obviously accepted the 6,000 coins so it's legal tender.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭7 7 12

They had to accept the payment as it's legal tender.

/thread

• Advertisement

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    I know of one civil engineering contractor who went out of business because his cash flow dried up due to late payments from local authorities. The banks called in their overdraft and they were out of business. He received payment from the LA when it was too late.

If a company has invoices due to be paid, especially from government bodies, the banks will allow you leeway. I know this firsthand. And banks don't "call in their overdraft" - an overdraft is a facility - not a loan to be repaid by a certain date. So the specifics you gave don't even make sense. It's all hearsay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Max Power

I'm sorry I started this bloody thread now!

7 7 12 wrote: »
    They had to accept the payment as it's legal tender.

/thread

I love that he re-regged to post that, then ninja edited just to say /thread.

I highly await the next post of his.

Don't worry, it'll be locked any minute now :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

smash wrote: »
    I don't think you understand credit or the quote above! Standard practice is 30 days. This was the same with government bodies but it has been dropped to 15 for faster payment. Everyone else still gets 30 days.

I'm fully aware of credit lines of 30 days. It's a fact that the 30 day limit was exceeded many times by government bodies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Boombastic wrote: »
    Yeh someone else made that intensely dumb "point". Comparing everyone in the public sector to nazis doesn't deserve anything other than being laughed at.
    But fair enough... you and others here wholeheartedly approve of abusing people who deal with the public.

And you'd NEVER accept a public sector job if you were offered one.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Gotham

This has probably been posted already, but in Ireland they can refuse legal tender if you give them more than 50 coins.
    It's not the same in America.

When he gave the coins in, they accepted them. I wouldn't really call that a victory.

It's also pure disgusting that the guy got fined in the first place. I would appeal that asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

They're under no obligation to accept that many coins I believe. Other than banks, places don't have to accept more than 50 coins in one transaction or something.

Correct, however they would also be refusing payment should it go to court.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,811 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    It didn't happen. A picture of coins does not make it reality.

You are probably right. There is no mention of it anywhere else in any media that I can find. There is a long history of similar tales.

http://www.snopes.com/sports/baseball/pennies.asp

If it really happened whoever was behind the counter should have politely asked him to present the coins in bags the way he got them from the bank. Even though there would be no legal obligation to accept more than 50 coins. If he refused just let him stand there.

Yawns wrote: »
    I love that he re-regged to post that, then ninja edited just to say /thread.

I highly await the next post of his.

Who re-regged ? I'm completely new to boards.ie

• Advertisement

Yeh someone else made that intensely dumb "point". Comparing everyone in the public sector to nazis doesn't deserve anything other than being laughed at.
    But fair enough... you and others here wholeheartedly approve of abusing people who deal with the public.
    Even though I agree with you here, will you remind me not to piss you off over the next few days in any threads? :D

Wrong again. He could have 6,000,000,000 1c coins and it's still legal tender. The clerk obviously accepted the 6,000 coins so it's legal tender.

Where to start...

1) Anything over 50 coins does not legally have to be accepted for settlements of a debt.
    "The clerk obviously accepted the 6,000 coins so it's legal tender."
    2) The story is false.
    3) If the clerk accepted the payment, that was their call, and does not thereby make it legal tender.

Derp! So many morons on this thread waffling about "legal tender", without even knowing what it means, and they're also ignorant to other laws that apply or supersede it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Where To wrote: »
    6000 1c coins isn't legal tender any more than 6000 mallard ducks is.

An army of ducks you say? I find this concept intriguing.

€50 fine Sir. Sorry don't pay ma bills mmm-hmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Gotham

Gotham wrote: »
    This has probably been posted already, but in Ireland they can refuse legal tender if you give them more than 50 coins.
    It's not the same in America.

When he gave the coins in, they accepted them. I wouldn't really call that a victory.

It's also pure disgusting that the guy got fined in the first place. I would appeal that asap.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_tender#Republic_of_Ireland

"According to the Economic and Monetary Union Act, 1998 of the Republic of Ireland which replaced the legal tender provisions that had been re-enacted in Irish legislation from previous British enactments, No person, other than the Central Bank of Ireland and such persons as may be designated by the Minister by order, shall be obliged to accept more than 50 coins denominated in euro or in cent in any single transaction."

1) Anything over 50 coins does not legally have to be accepted for settlements of a debt.

Such nonsense! Where in the constitution is that paragraph, I must have missed it... ..

Such nonsense! Where in the constitution is that paragraph, I must have missed it... ..
    Read the post above yours

Page 12. Check it out.

The Economic and Monetary Union Act, 1998

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

They're under no obligation to accept that many coins I believe. Other than banks, places don't have to accept more than 50 coins in one transaction or something.

Nobody is under any obligation to take any amount of coins I believe, or any amount of notes for that matter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

And you'd NEVER accept a public sector job if you were offered one.

A lot of them have no sense of humour;)

• Advertisement

At the end of the day, if I offered €200,000 for a house and the offer was accepted and legally binding - then I produce €200,000 in 5c coins - they legally must accept my payment as the deal has been signed and coins are legal currency for repayment of debit.

Advertisement