Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STOVES questions and answers here(see mod note in post 1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Autorotation

No one with anything to add about Inis inset stoves??....

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Brianne

Best thing to do is ask the guy in store if he could possibly contact somebody who he's sold one of these stoves to and ask them if they would mind you going and seeing it in action. Thats what we did before we purchased ours.

Worth trying alright Brianne - thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭tommyh1977

Well purchased a Hamco Glendine Boiler model today, fitting next week, will let ye know how it goes!!

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭ccsolar

No one with anything to add about Inis inset stoves??....
    Hi autorotation
    I have an Inis mor free standing with back boiler, it heats the whole house 12 rads and 300 litre tank of water no problem
    We only light it in the evening and 1 fill of turf/ timber keeps it going all night
    We fitted a Stanley for my neighbour and the Inis is miles ahead on output.
    Hope this helps
    Cc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Sparkinthedart

Brianne wrote: »
    What size is your room , also what size are the rads?

its quite a small room, 3.5mts by 3.6mts the rads are 45" double and two 25" single an a 29" single.

Thank you for your quick reply

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭newtothis2011

I was wondering how the flexi flue is replaced?? I believe they last a long time but Im curious to know if replacing it is a big job??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭woody1

Solid fuel boiler and heating zones

installed solid fuel boiler at the weekend, working away fine , massive heat out of it keeping rads hot,
    its connected to the downstairs zone, and im wondering if i close off some rads downstairs in rooms i dont need heat in then will i get some heat going upstairs or will it always be limited to downstairs,

Sparkinthedart do you have one of those rads in the room where the stove will be going?

ccsolar wrote: »
    Hi autorotation
    I have an Inis mor free standing with back boiler, it heats the whole house 12 rads and 300 litre tank of water no problem
    We only light it in the evening and 1 fill of turf/ timber keeps it going all night
    We fitted a Stanley for my neighbour and the Inis is miles ahead on output.
    Hope this helps
    Cc

Thanks very much for that info. It sounds like the Inis stoves might be a slightly better quality to the Stanleys....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Sparkinthedart

Brianne wrote: »
    Sparkinthedart do you have one of those rads in the room where the stove will be going?

Yea there would be, the double.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 14 The cracken

hi all
    i had a 30kw boiler stove fitted in October last year and the problem is now and again the water in the stove would start to boil and hiss i realized that the pump and rads didn't kick in when this happened. only by turning the thermostat down it would immediately kick in. i've had the installer back and he changed the pump still didn't sort it and then two weeks ago he changed the thermostat since then its been happening more frequently. we originally had the temp set at 50c then he said bring it down to 40c and now hes saying down to 30c.
    if anyone had any idea what the problem could be i would be grateful.
    many thanks in advance

Sparkinthedart have you seen the Stanley Cara boiler inset stove? It should be sufficient. I know it says only 2 to room from it which sounds very little but the fact you have a double rad there you should be ok. Have you got much info from any of the stove shops? The inset we have gives 3 to room but we have a large double rad which we certainly need as the heat from the inset itself would not be sufficient in cold weather. If you could see the Stanley Cara in operation somewhere to give you an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭hernie

hernie wrote: »
    I'm in the market to buy a stove. Originally I was looking at solid fuel/wood stoves and then the sales guy asked us had we considered a gas stove as they have higher efficiency. We already have gas hooked up for the central heating. I was looking at the Valor Dream Homeflame Black

My question is which is cheaper to run? Is a 89% efficient gas stove cheaper to run than a 78% efficient solid fuel stove given that I would have to buy the fuel? Any advice much appreciated.

Anyone any advice/opinion on the above query?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Mr Macphisto

Hi,

I am in the process of adding a sun room to my house, I am going to put a stove into.

The builder has suggested that I can put one in with a back boiler and connect into my excising oil fired central heating.

He said I can connect in through the water/supply return from the oil burner in my back garden, and I would also need a one way valve.

Would this work? and could I have the stove lit and turn off the rads using thermostatic valves if needed.

Also, what spec of stove would I need? and can you recommend any (modern, plain looking ones) the room is 5.6 X 3.8 m and I have 7 double rads and 7 single, and immersion tank.

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭tiny timy

Hi all, installing a wood burning stove in a room as close as possi le to a plasterboard wall. We will be using the single skin flue initally coming off the stove before we have to join the twin flue liner going through the wall. My concern is the heat that the single skin will give off,i have read where the distance a flue like that has to be is 3 times the diameter away from a combustible material. 6 inch flue is what ill have.so my flue has to 18 inches from the wall,which make the stove stick out too far. Im wondering is there a heat shield that i can mount to the back of the flue to deflect the heat away from the wall? We dont want to use twin lined flue the whole way down as it wouldnt look great. Done some google searching and i can only find stuff n Canada to do the job,was hoping for somewhere in Ireland,England at a push.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sonique1

Problems with Stratford EB20 Stove
    Just wondering if anyone can shed any light on the consistent problems we are having with our stove which we installed in Nov 2012, prior to the stove we had an open fire.

there is a consistent smell/fumes from the stove when it is lit for a 2-3 hrs and gets worse as the night goes on. I have tried changing the thermostat values which makes no difference, neither does the air wash vent. We initially were burning a mix of briquettes & wood, the shop we bought it in suggested we burn only briquettes ,as the wood may not be dry enough,which we have done consistently since.
    We have 15 rads, all of which are warm but by no means hot, they are not heating the house. I have an oil fired range which I have to use in the evenings to heat the rooms as the stove does not do the job. The stat is set at 40 degrees.
    There is another major issue in that the chimney breast wall is piping hot and gets warmer as the evening goes on. The wall on the other side of the chimney breast is just as hot,which does not seem normal. both are also still warm the following morning
    I do not have a vent in the room but do have 2 small windows open 24/7 for ventilation & to try and get rid of the smell.
    Just wondering if anyone could shed any light on the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 PaddyJohn

Hi all,

Not related to the previous post, we are thinking of getting a Stratford EB25. This is to heat a large open plan area and 19 rads.

Does anyone have any experience with this stove?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 37 twilo

Came across these stoves yesterday with a 5kw stove selling for 299 and an enamel selling for 425. These prices sound too good to be true. Anyone have any experice with Heritage Stoves?

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭albert kidd

hi twilo.

i bought the doolin inet stove from right price tiles back in october and its a great stove..fires out plenty of heat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

twilo wrote: »
    Came across these stoves yesterday with a 5kw stove selling for 299 and an enamel selling for 425. These prices sound too good to be true. Anyone have any experice with Heritage Stoves?

You will get them for even less on donedeal.ie, most of the stoves on the market come from china, stanley, Henley, Hamco, blacksmith, warrior, olymberyl ec.

In a lot of cases people just change the design of the front panel or doors, put a nice Irish sounding name on them and charge an extra €200 for the same product.

Like the Irish labelled chicken down in dunnes that are battery farmed in thailand, or the supermarkets 100% Irish beef burgers made with horsemeat from Poland.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭sept09baby

Is this the right place for questions on range cookers as well as stoves?

Have moved in to a house with a range that's probably about 100 years old. It's a Wellstood Series G. Can't really find out anything about it online.

It heats the water but not the rads and I'll be using it to heat the kitchen as there's no other heat source there. Any tips of which fuels to use or tips about anything else I should know?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭newtothis2011

Does anyone know how much coal it would take to heat 16 rads, using a 20kw stove, 7.5kw to room and 12.5kw to water???? Im guessing an awful lot???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭gooner99

Looking into installing an insert stove for my mother. Background is she only had an open fire with back boiler that heated the hot water only. She had a few chimney fires that even cracked her chimney breast. She then got so afraid that she only placed a couple of sods of turf in the fire and had no heat. So we got oil fired central heating in for her about 15 years ago and cutoff the back boiler, although the actual boiler is still in the hearth.Since then the open fire is unused. Now with the rise in oil prices I'm thinking that it might be a good idea to install a non boiler insert stove, as it might be too big a job to connect up a back boiler again and I'd imagine the cylinder won't have unused connections for it. Am I right in saying that because she has had chimney fires that have cracked the breast she is best to use a double walled flexi-flue and if so should this be wrapped in insulation or is that not necessary. House was built in 1972. I am looking at the croi beag from boru and burn seasoned logs in it, as it matches her living room needs which I calculated at about 3kw and it's a pretty good price. Anyone experience with this stove and is a self install a good idea or best to get it installed by a proper installer. Last but not least, any idea who stocks these in Donegal?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 d246

We are building a new house and my husband is keen to put in a solid fuel stove with a back boiler. It would be in the open plan kitchen/living/dining. My question is about the practicalities of constantly having to refill the stove and also the problem with dirt/dust/ash in this living area. We have a small stove in our current sitting room in which we burn turf and wood every day. The heat from it is fantastic but it constantly needs refilling and I hate the dirt and dust that is involved. Is there a more practical / cleaner option for a stove? Obviously a larger stove would fit more fuel and need less refilling but are there any other options? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭btb

@gooner99, flexiflue needs to be backfilled with vermiculate. This acts as insulator and prevents flue gasses cooling too rapidely. Comes in a bag and you just pour down between flexi and origional flue.

@d246 all solid fuels have the drawback of ash and dust. The only other alternative is a log/ pellet boiler in an external shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,587 ✭✭✭giveitholly

i'm installing a stove in my kitchen and was wondering what size i need to cover my needs. I've 8 double radiators(2x 120cm by 50cm, 2x 110cm by 40 cm, 130cm by 50cm, 70cm by 50cm, 100cm by 50cm, 120cm by 40cm). i also want hot water as well, I was looking at The Carraig Mor 20 k.w. Boru stove. Would this output be enough and if it was what other makes or models would people recommend

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭stephen_k

i'm installing a stove in my kitchen and was wondering what size i need to cover my needs. I've 8 double radiators(2x 120cm by 50cm, 2x 110cm by 40 cm, 130cm by 50cm, 70cm by 50cm, 100cm by 50cm, 120cm by 40cm). i also want hot water as well, I was looking at The Carraig Mor 20 k.w. Boru stove. Would this output be enough and if it was what other makes or models would people recommend

Hi giveitholly,

The Carraig Mor 20kw (According to their liturature) will give 4kw to the room and 16kw to the boiler... You haven't given details of the size of your hot water cylinder, but assuming that you have a standard size (which requires 2.6kw) this would leave 13.6kw to the radiators, a 120x50 double rad takes approx. 2kw to heat it, looking at the radiator count you have this would give an approx. requirement of 15kw...

It depends on what your expectations of this stove are, If you want a stove to heat the main living areas in your home and give you a tank of hot water, (acting as a supplement to your existing central heating) then this stove will perform adequately, if however you want it to replace your central heating I feel it may be under powered... HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 5,587 ✭✭✭giveitholly

stephen_k wrote: »
    Hi giveitholly,

The Carraig Mor 20kw (According to their liturature) will give 4kw to the room and 16kw to the boiler... You haven't given details of the size of your hot water cylinder, but assuming that you have a standard size (which requires 2.6kw) this would leave 13.4kw to the radiators, a 120x50 double rad takes approx. 2kw to heat it, looking at the radiator count you have this would give an approx. requirement of 15kw...

It depends on what your expectations of this stove are, If you want a stove to heat the main living areas in your home and give you a tank of hot water, (acting as a supplement to your existing central heating) then this stove will perform adequately, if however you want it to replace your central heating I feel it may be under powered... HTH

thanks for the reply stephen_k i want the stove to replace my central heating system(which is oil). The next stove is the carraig mor 30 k.w. which is very big. Is there any stove in between that you would recommend that might suit my needs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭stephen_k

thanks for the reply stephen_k i want the stove to replace my central heating system(which is oil). The next stove is the carraig mor 30 k.w. which is very big. Is there any stove in between that you would recommend that might suit my needs

Hi giveitholly,

We have 21kw stoves which jump in size to 30kw as well... I had a quick look, at other stoves manufacturers that we don't do, but I couldn't see one with a boiler output of around 17kw with 5/6kw to the room... You seem to be falling between two stones I'm afraid... However bear in mind that a 30kw will only give 30kw maximum output, if you have a smaller fire in it, you will get less output, so with use you might find the 30kw will give you the results you require...

Advertisement