Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy SII I9100 SGS2 Modding Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭north south east west

Thats pretty good might give one of them a go. Do you find it takes a while for the battery to "settle" after you install a new rom or am I just imagining things?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Thats pretty good might give one of them a go. Do you find it takes a while for the battery to "settle" after you install a new rom or am I just imagining things?
    That's an understatement! I believe the battery stats on my phone is bipolar/mental and doesn't know what it wants to be! :pac:

Example:
    IRN5c.png
    Notice how it drops, then starts going back up with no charging!
    I think this happened when I flashed Siyah on the new ROM, still weird though.

Anyway, here's yesterdays battery stats after no charge, not bad, nearly 16 hours, 22% remaining
    J3N0J.png

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Anyone else having problems with using Sky Go. App gets to the loading screen and does nothing. Tried reinstalling the app and no joy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Dempsey wrote: »
    Anyone else having problems with using Sky Go. App gets to the loading screen and does nothing. Tried reinstalling the app and no joy!
    is your phone rooted?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

is your phone rooted?

Crap wrong thread. Where is the Galaxy SII thread gone to? Cant find it anywhere :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭techdiver

Top Dog wrote: »
    Anyone successfully updated to the latest 3.1.3 version of Ressurection Remix?

I've tried 3 times now but each time I get stuck in a boot-loop. Getting fed up now and considering abandoning RR for something else.

I installed 3.1.3, but found it very buggy and was crashing regularly and draining the battery quite quickly.

I rolled back to 3.1.2.

Question: Is anyone on Three running RR 3.1.2?

Ever since I installed 3.1.2 I cannot get data when I loose 3g and switch to vodafone. No EDGE etc is picked up.

I have the LPX modem installed, I wonder is that the issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭pedatron

techdiver wrote: »
    I installed 3.1.3, but found it very buggy and was crashing regularly and draining the battery quite quickly.

I rolled back to 3.1.2.

Question: Is anyone on Three running RR 3.1.2?

Ever since I installed 3.1.2 I cannot get data when I loose 3g and switch to vodafone. No EDGE etc is picked up.

I have the LPX modem installed, I wonder is that the issue?

Latest RR is very broken. I'd avoid until next update. It was unusable on my emobile sgs2

On Chameleon v3.0 with Siyah kernel at the moment. Decent rom; feels less fast then CM 10.1 but a small bit more solid if that makes sense. Battery life is ok but not great. Only getting twelve hours of light to moderate use. Used to get 36 or so when on stock ICS. Anyone know any JB roms/kernel that have good battery life?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

can i get vanilla Android 4.2 Jelly Bean for SGS2?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Testament1

I picked up a 2nd hand S2 the other day as I was totally sick of the HTC Wildfire that I replaced my lost Galaxy with (great to be back using an S2 again :D). Anyways the phone was locked to Vodafone so i rooted it and unlocked it using Helrozs Sim Unlock app. The phone is currently running 2.3 but when I tried to do an OTA update using my Telstra sim card the phone downloaded the update but failed to install it. Would this be because its a Vodafone handset ya? Also its a GT-I9100T if that makes any difference...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭pedatron

irishgeo wrote: »
    can i get vanilla Android 4.2 Jelly Bean for SGS2?

This'll do the job Irish!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2076650

Based on Nexus 4.2 JB

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

On Chameleon v3.0 with Siyah kernel at the moment. Decent rom; feels less fast then CM 10.1 but a small bit more solid if that makes sense. Battery life is ok but not great. Only getting twelve hours of light to moderate use. Used to get 36 or so when on stock ICS. Anyone know any JB roms/kernel that have good battery life?
    I think the Chameleon dev is waiting for the next Samsung stock release before moving on 3.0

I'm using Siyah v6 beta4 which had to be modified to work with Chameleon, you can get it from this post
    The others I see mentioned in the thread are Dorimanx and Jeboo (but one guy says Jeboo causes a heat-up problem, can't comment on it)

BopNiblets wrote: »
    I think the Chameleon dev is waiting for the next Samsung stock release before moving on 3.0

I'm using Siyah v6 beta4 which had to be modified to work with Chameleon, you can get it from this post
    The others I see mentioned in the thread are Dorimanx and Jeboo (but one guy says Jeboo causes a heat-up problem, can't comment on it)

Using Jeboo myself now find battery life better then Siyah and its much smoother. Doesnt have all the various options that Siyah has like dual boot and bln but I prefer it.

Anyone have any recommendations for a good modem to flash? Does your modem choice depend on your network? Any other advice on flashing a modem would be helpful never done it before; is it something worth doing? I have no problem at the moment with signal or call quality but heard it can improve battery life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

If you don't have any problems I would say leave well enough alone. The advice you will get anywhere is to try a few different modems and see which works best for you. I only really notice when modems are bad, rather than good, and it's over a year since I last bothered changing it.
    The only way that I imagine it can improve your battery life is by improving your signal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

I'm looking for a 3D model of S2 case. Google wasn't very helpful... any ideas where to look for it?

I want to make it compatible with car holder that I have.

(hint: 3D printing :))

Zagato wrote: »
    If you don't have any problems I would say leave well enough alone. The advice you will get anywhere is to try a few different modems and see which works best for you. I only really notice when modems are bad, rather than good, and it's over a year since I last bothered changing it.
    The only way that I imagine it can improve your battery life is by improving your signal

Thanks.........think I will leave it. Have changed kernel again to Dorimanx and seems to have improved battery a good bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Have a S2 which is rooted, it has Gingerbread running iirc, never updated it.

Basically I had a problem that the screen would freeze (if you hit the power button, the top button would be highlighted blue as if it was being held down). It would happen the odd time at night before charging or while charging, done a factory reset and it was grand for 2 months until the other day. Same thing has happened again BUT factory reset, leaving the battery out for 2 days, etc... hasn't worked. Would upgrading to Jelly Bean or ICS make a difference or any other suggestions?

If my explanation isn't great on the frozen screen, I can posted some pictures tomorrow to make it clearer if needs be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Have a S2 which is rooted, it has Gingerbread running iirc, never updated it.

Basically I had a problem that the screen would freeze (if you hit the power button, the top button would be highlighted blue as if it was being held down). It would happen the odd time at night before charging or while charging, done a factory reset and it was grand for 2 months until the other day. Same thing has happened again BUT factory reset, leaving the battery out for 2 days, etc... hasn't worked. Would upgrading to Jelly Bean or ICS make a difference or any other suggestions?

If my explanation isn't great on the frozen screen, I can posted some pictures tomorrow to make it clearer if needs be.

It's highly probable that you're experiencing a software issue but I would recommend upgrading to ICS at a minimum regardless of whether you're having issues or not. You can do this officially too, rather than by rooting the phone as this way you can see whether the new version of Android fixes the problem. If not, you can always consider rooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭dave_t

pedatron wrote: »
    This'll do the job Irish!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2076650

Based on Nexus 4.2 JB

Has anyone tried this? Is it any good? Using the leaked 4.1.2 at the moment but I am tempted to root and install this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

dave_t wrote: »
    Has anyone tried this? Is it any good? Using the leaked 4.1.2 at the moment but I am tempted to root and install this.

Supernexus is one of the best Roms around

its well worth a look as it does away with Samsung's bloat and gives you a pure Android experience

kingtiger wrote: »
    Supernexus is one of the best Roms around

its well worth a look as it does away with Samsung's bloat and gives you a pure Android experience

whats the battery life like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

irishgeo wrote: »
    whats the battery life like?

I used the previous version of supernexus with Siyah kernel and the battery like was great,

used it heavily for work mail\calls from 8am and watching 40 mins of video each way on the bus to work, going to bed at 11pm, I usually had about 20% left

I have an S3 now so my wife uses my old S2 with the latest version of supernexus installed

she is a light user the odd browse\whats app\call, so she charges the phone every 2nd day

kingtiger wrote: »

I used the previous version of supernexus with Siyah kernel and the battery like was great,

used it heavily for work mail\calls from 8am and watching 40 mins of video each way on the bus to work, going to bed at 11pm, I usually had about 20% left

I have an S3 now so my wife uses my old S2 with the latest version of supernexus installed

she is a light user the odd browse\whats app\call, so she charges the phone every 2nd day
    Ill give it a go after the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭battser

Just updated to ICS using the XDA latest 4.0.4. Did not root the phone just updated. Few issues so far which I am sure have happened before when I first upgrade the OS. But one I haven't seen is the inability to take a screenshot on the S2 now. Power and home just won't work for me.

Anyone see anything like this before?

SuprSi wrote: »
    It's highly probable that you're experiencing a software issue but I would recommend upgrading to ICS at a minimum regardless of whether you're having issues or not. You can do this officially too, rather than by rooting the phone as this way you can see whether the new version of Android fixes the problem. If not, you can always consider rooting.

How can I officially do it? Kies won't let me update, I tried that before, is there another official way? If not do you have a link for a stable ICS? Don't trust myself to download one.:(

How can I officially do it? Kies won't let me update, I tried that before, is there another official way? If not do you have a link for a stable ICS? Don't trust myself to download one.:(

Why won't Kies allow you to do it? Anyway, this is the guide I followed when I originally installed ICS...

http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/mobile-phones/how-to-install-ice-cream-sandwich-on-your-samsung-galaxy-s2-50006766/

After upgrading I found my phone shutting down quite a bit, like almost once a day though I'm not sure whether this was my phone or the upgrade itself. That's what made me root the phone and install CM10. The rebooting has stopped now too :)

SuprSi wrote: »
    Why won't Kies allow you to do it? Anyway, this is the guide I followed when I originally installed ICS...

http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/mobile-phones/how-to-install-ice-cream-sandwich-on-your-samsung-galaxy-s2-50006766/

After upgrading I found my phone shutting down quite a bit, like almost once a day though I'm not sure whether this was my phone or the upgrade itself. That's what made me root the phone and install CM10. The rebooting has stopped now too :)

It says it's not supported, I remember when I tried it a while back googling it and it turning up something about where the phone is "from" and where I'm using it, or something along them lines. I'll try it again tonight after work and update properly on what error I get.

It says it's not supported, I remember when I tried it a while back googling it and it turning up something about where the phone is "from" and where I'm using it, or something along them lines. I'll try it again tonight after work and update properly on what error I get.

Updated my S2 to Jelly Bean, BUT I can't actually go through the set up language, etc... as the touch screen still refuses to work, the buttons work, the screen turns when I move the phone on it's side, etc...

Any ideas?

• Advertisement

Updated my S2 to Jelly Bean, BUT I can't actually go through the set up language, etc... as the touch screen still refuses to work, the buttons work, the screen turns when I move the phone on it's side, etc...

Any ideas?

That's weird - does the touch screen work when you're asked to enter your PIN code, or does the setup happen before this?

Advertisement