Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Diabetes] General Chat and Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Redmal wrote: »
    Are there any other type 1's who have been prescribed glucophage? Since having my baby my blood sugar has been really difficult to control. I didn't want to take more insulin as it is harder to lose the weight the more insulin you take so that's why I was prescribed the glucophage. I've been on it about 2 months now and haven't really noticed a difference, although I do have my own issues that probably don't help. I was wondering if any other type 1's have taken it and what difference, if any, they noticed. The reason I ask is that I'm wondering whether it's worth me staying on it or should I just bite the bullet and go for more insulin.

Edit: Not looking for advice on the insulin bit, just what experiences other people have had on this medication. Apparently it's a fairly new thing to give type 1's type 2 medication.

Its also possibly not the best thing but as with all things on the internet, it really depends on the individual. Personally, I would have believed metformin to Type 1s was a bad idea particularly with the risk of DKA.

Several other things could be highly beneficial but without being to personal, there is no good way to point you in the right direction. My two pushes are, the obvious. First change in diet (possibly the hardest of the two, I eat terribly). Secondly, exercise. I don't mean, walk more (although this is good), but if you are already in reasonable shape, some short, high intensity training could help spike your insulin sensitivity. They will also make your blood sugars appear temporarily high, as your body takes glucose out of storage but continued spikes to your insulin sensitivity have been shown to increase your general insulin sensitivity overall.

I should warn you though, if you go down the route of high intensity exercise, avoid the glucophage. Similar to the DKA reasoning (referring to lactate acidosis this time).

The other thing is, maybe you are not taking enough insulin, some people need more than others, big changes to your lifestyle could affect this need eg your baby.

Quick google for metformin and type 1s, second hit on google: http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/26/5/1655.1.full

A few other papers further down, say it had limited bot nonetheless beneficial effects but if you look at HbA1c and body composition, not a' huge difference IMO, that said the paper I reference hasn't a huge population.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Paddy1951

Caros wrote: »
    Hi guys, I've been type 2 diabetic for the last few years and on glucophage and diamicron. My last hba1c's were 12.4 (!) in January, and my gp said she'd refer me to see an endicrinologist about going on insulin - still waiting. Blood sugar levels are all over the place, 17.2 at 9.30p.m. last night, 11.4 this a.m. I feel at this stage if I eat a lettuce leaf my bloods are going up.
    I don't have medical insurance or a medical card, but I do have a long term illness card. Can anyone tell me if I go privately to see the endicrinologist would it get me in quicker?

Hi caros havE the same high readings I'm on insulin

On insulin now was on diamacrom for yrs got all itch. If you make
    Private appointment you ask for urgent appointment .and you will be seen will cost you 80 t0 100 euro but better than waiting for clinic. You can still go to clinic appointments when called and you have things under control best of luck paddy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Paddy1951 wrote: »
    Hi caros havE the same high readings I'm on insulin

Hiya Paddy - if you're wondering why your last post didn't show up its because you hit report instead of reply - it happens more often than you'd think! I can paste the text into the thread for you if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

HbA1c back yesterday, 60 (or 7.64%) in the old money, not goiing the right up one point, I expected it to be much worse in fairness! I just find it impossible to keep fit and active and balance being in 6th year! :(

• Advertisement

Hi caros only new to this was on diamacrom for few yrs got all itch on my legs so was put on insulin still have high readings As I have not kept to the strict fiats that are required but I find when I keep good control I can go low down to 3or 2 .5 , but I am diabetic for 15 yrs did drink bit to heavy for yrs I know lots about diabetas your question. I would advise you make private ap..and ask for early as possible and you will get seen will cost 80 to 100 euro but will be worth it still be on the clinic list and go when called , you will get stabilised and diet and bit of exercise will sort you out I know people gone blind and people with two legs amputated its very serious disease if not controlled if looked after Live normal life no problem taking insulin do not feel needle, Best of luck in future let me know how you get on paddy

tba thank you for your offer of help. Only starting so making mistakes paddyhospital.[/QUOTE]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Paddy1951 wrote: »
    tba thank you for your offer of help. Only starting so making mistakes paddyhospital.

No problem Paddy, happy to help - PM me if you need anything, and welcome to the club.

Back from the consultant he was lovely as always :) he suggested getting an insulin pump, I know some people on here have one I'd like to hear your experiences with them? What are the practicalities such as swimming or going on holidays?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Different pumps are different waterproof ratings so that will obviously effect the swimming. The Animas 2020 pump I have is rated at something like 3 meters depth for 24 hours and has been used by a team of type ones swimming the English Channel to France supported by Animas, so they are clearly confident of it's abilities. I've been swimming, badly, with the pump in the sea and it has survived perfectly fine. You do need to keep an eye on the canula staying stuck to you after being in the water for a long time though.

I did take the pump off when getting in a hotub though due to the heat and the insulin, but then got an infection as hottubs are not the best place to go with a needle stuck into you so effectively an open wound. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Got my daughters hba1c today she was 58 or 7.4% that's the best she has been in 6 years. Her last few were up in 10s and 11s. She was 10.8 back in October.

She got knocked off the pump list due to bad control.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

cynder wrote: »
    Got my daughters hba1c today she was 58 or 7.4% that's the best she has been in 6 years. Her last few were up in 10s and 11s. She was 10.8 back in October.

She got knocked off the pump list due to bad control.

There doesn't seem to be any consistency with the requirements for getting a pump. Some people get them because of having bad control on MDI and not being able to find a more workable solution, some people only get them when they can show that they can improve on MDI and control things better.

Keep pushing for trying to get the pump if you think it might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Munstermissy

I asked about getting the pump at one of my clinic appointments and was told that the consultant over the clinic does not put anybody forward for them as he believes diet should control my levels, etc. I'm hovering around the 7 mark for the last couple of HBA1C.

Is it the consultants decision alone regarding pumps?? I'm happy enough with injections but wouldn't mind an option to possibly look into the pump.

I asked about getting the pump at one of my clinic appointments and was told that the consultant over the clinic does not put anybody forward for them as he believes diet should control my levels, etc. I'm hovering around the 7 mark for the last couple of HBA1C.

Is it the consultants decision alone regarding pumps?? I'm happy enough with injections but wouldn't mind an option to possibly look into the pump.

I'd say it's more down to the accountants than the consultants.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,796 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I dont know anything about your personal situation but I was being treated as a type 1 for 2 years and by the end I could not walk up the stairs without doing the last few steps on my knees, work was even harder as I often had to do 12 hour shifts and had to drag my lead like feet around all day. I eventually got put onto insulin and my life has changed so much, I feel like a normal human being again that can go a whole day without feeling completely exhausted. Worth enquiring about anyway.

Exact same as me. However diet is the key. I let things slide in 2012. Now I eat fish (salmon etc), veg, beans etc. Cut out red meat and bread and soft drinks. I am coming in between 6 and 8, unknown for me.Go out for a walk when I can.

Had a eye test in late 2011 it was ok, now going for another one next month. Get any problems stopped before they get worse, if there are any.

Hi black diabetic.i am on insulin for 5yrs .was taking tablets for few yrs diamacrom glucopage body came out in rash and all itch did not look after myself really new man on insulin looking after it better now hope I am not to late I would have been easy to temptation to sweets buskers etc so I think in my mind now. Suger out, as I would go into shop ,I think it helps. I wish you best of luck. Paddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭purplestar1986

CramCycle wrote: »
    I suffer from physical pain when my bloods are running high, back pain and joint ache, but there could be several reasons for constant physical pain, alot of it not diabetes related. I wouldn't use the net for a diagnosis. What are her BG levels like? Have they done an insulin sensitivity test? C peptide levels (they have to have done this).

Thats shocking, they must have some idea?

Oddly enough, I hear several Diabetics (type 1) with low Iron, I may have even glanced a paper on it recently, must investigate. I had low iron a year before I was diagnosed and my mother was anaemic before and during pregnancy.

Sorry I forgot I wrote this :o her levels are good most of the time. Some times she'll go a week or more without taking insulin and her sugars will be fine then other times she would be taking her insulin and her sugars would be through the roof, how does that work?

Her doctor has actually said her sugar levels look like she doesn't even have diabetes!

As for insulin sensitivity test and C peptide levels - I don't know, the last consultant she saw had absolutely no interest in her, complete waste of time.

She was 30 when diagnosed, is over weight but the constant pain and tiredness makes it very hard for her to do anything but she soldiers on regardless. She has said about the feeling of her feet and hands being heavy, very weak, sore muscles in her arms.

Just wish they'd try other tests or something, it's very frustrating

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

I dunno, always nice to hope but we always hear about this new 'break-through' that will eliminate MDI for ever and never see anything about it again, I'll believe it when I'm asking for it off my pharmacist!

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

ebbsy wrote: »
    Had a eye test in late 2011.

The only thing in the world that scares me (apart from having my feet tickled by the chiropodist):eek:.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

Today 28 years ago I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 10 - there are worse things that I have had since though it does affect my day to day life - am lucky that I got it young as a lot of it is like breathing.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Dick Dastardly

CathyMoran wrote: »
    Today 28 years ago I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 10 - there are worse things that I have had since though it does affect my day to day life - am lucky that I got it young as a lot of it is like breathing.

Not sure Happy Anniversary is the right phrase but maybe "Go mbeirfidh tu beo ag an am seo aris" is a bit more suitable!

I don't know the exact date but I'm something similar. Type 1 at aged 9 after getting mumps - 31 years ago this Easter. Stuck in Harcourt st hospital for 6 weeks when I got it. I'd agree lucky (if u know what i mean!) to get it at the age I did, but lucky to have great parents too who never allowed it to influence what I chose to do - it just was something to get on with and never acceptable as an excuse for anything.. Moved to care in Vincent's later on and owe a lot to prof tj McKenna who looked after me for a long time and the nurses there too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

Not sure Happy Anniversary is the right phrase but maybe "Go mbeirfidh tu beo ag an am seo aris" is a bit more suitable!

I don't know the exact date but I'm something similar. Type 1 at aged 9 after getting mumps - 31 years ago this Easter. Stuck in Harcourt st hospital for 6 weeks when I got it. I'd agree lucky (if u know what i mean!) to get it at the age I did, but lucky to have great parents too who never allowed it to influence what I chose to do - it just was something to get on with and never acceptable as an excuse for anything.. Moved to care in Vincent's later on and owe a lot to prof tj McKenna who looked after me for a long time and the nurses there too.
    I was ill with chicken pox at the same time! I attended the Mater for a while and then attended a different doctor to you at St Vincents.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

i'll be 3 years on the 7th of april diagnosed with type 2 :D to be honest it was a relief. :D at least it was an excuse to get my weight down.

Just cross posting a link to a thread on the Athletics/ Running forum incase anyone else wants to chime in with tips or suggestions:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056891096

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭1967

Last time i had my bloods done my gp said that next time i get my test results that he would consider taking me off Victoza to see how i go my test results since i was originally diagnosed over five years ago have not been higher than 5.5 he thinks it is worth trying to see how i get on,has this happened to anyone else with Victoza or Byetta

• Advertisement

Hi everyone I'm doing the HPAT exam tomorrow, to get into medicine in University. I'm just curious does anyone have any advice for T1 diabetes and sitting exams (or any potentially stressful situation!) Would my BG be likely to go higher or lower? Should I preemptively lower my morning insulin dose tomorrow?

I really want to avoid a hypo at all costs in the exam, because it would really affect the result and it certainly wouldn't be taken into account in the results! At the same time also, it's an exam that's designed to be very tight for time so I wouldn't have time to be running to the toilet every few seconds if I were to leave my BG go particularly high!

Advertisement