Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTA Map of Frequent Services

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Right so I've done a quick audit of the frequencies of routes. If the map is to be a proper "frequent services" as it is generally understood in the industry, then they need to restrict it to services that are also frequent in between the morning and evening peaks. There are a fair few DB routes which don't fit that criteria, which are nonetheless included on the map: 11, 14, 17a, 18, 29a, 40d, 41, 77a, 120, 122, 140, 150, 151. Now, I'm not suggesting that all of these be taken from the map. But a few of them are pushing it in the "frequent services" category. Obviously the 41 and its associated routes should be included, as well as the 140 and 77a, even though they don't strictly strictly adhere to the all-day frequency criteria.

The 11, 14, and 18 shouldn't be on the map. I'm not familiar with the 17a, but I'd wonder about it. The 120, 122, 150, and 151 all serve strategic routes, but again are they frequent enough to justify inclusion on the map? This isn't a "strategic routes" map. It's a "frequent routes" map. There's no "shame" as such in having a few areas that aren't served by very frequent bus routes. Even on the current map, there are gaps around parts of South Tallaght / Firhouse, as well as in Blackrock around Newpark.

If we've learnt anything from the Leapcard fiasco, it's that people need to be convinced to get behind this. There's no point in plastering these maps over bus stops, only to have people waiting 20-30 minutes for the 11 bus. They'll lose faith. Having a credible map means that people will use it. Also, there's no point in showing "Dublin Public Transport - Frequent Services" in big flashy writing, only to have an asterisk and "(only during peak hours)" tacked on the bottom. Let's be honest, and not pretend to have an awesome, comprehensive, every-15-minutes-all-day network.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,258 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Idle hands and all that.

Two versions of the main map attached

Greyed out version for marking up for comments and bus only version for easier reading.

Hansfield train station isn't open yet, but is shown.

Kishoge train station isn't open yet, but isn't shown.

Coolmine Station -> Coolmine

Ashington is east of Ashtown station

Should North Bull Island be marked as a park?

Possibly emphasise where routes end, e.g. DART at Malahide, by bolding and extending commuter arrow further.

Move the 151 icon at Docklands station closer to the bus stop, i.e. put it south of the road.

Drumcondra station should have a commuter icon.

Make the coast more geographically accurate, e.g. the railway should be right next to the coast from Booterstown to Dún Laoghaire.

Physically separate Cherrywood and Shankill more. Shankill is south of Cherrywood.

Tara Street Station is not on Tara Street. Tara Street has no bus stops.

Route 79a operates beyond Park West & Cherry Orchard Station.

Does the 77a actually serve Citywest Campus Luas stop? Note that the Luas stop is away from the office area.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 rusty1052

Hi Guys - It's not a bad first start for the transport guys but I do agree that the idea of the routes shown as the most frequent is slightly misleading.

Having completed my own Frequent Transport map, in which I used average all day Mon-Fri frequency of service according to timetable to determine single services (not combined like the 25a/b/c) that conform to a 15 minute of less frequency. You end up with 15 of service routes plus the luas.

Anyway some of you maybe interested, I started to make a map over 18 months ago at this stage, based on the idea of a frequency based map. You can view it / download it at: cbroderick.me/pages/dublin_complete_map

It's no where near finished, and very much out of date by now given the amalgamation / discontinuation of certain routes. Very hard to maintain, mainly due to the fact it is entirely drawn on illustrator, so if anyone has any better ideas of how to do this i'd love to hear it! It was probably 60% there at the time.
    C

Advertisement