Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Palestine recognised by the UN General Assembly

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Nodin wrote: »
    ....its blatantly obvious what shift it signals.

Now - you answer a question - what would you rather the Palestinians do, instead of getting increased status on the international stage?

Thats started back in the 70's at least. Not one vote ago

As long as Israel remains ally with the U.S it calls the shots. Increased status for Palestine on the world stage does not supercede this fact

Yes you could. I guess my point was that outside of the US and Canada (and maybe the czechs) no other nations of note voted against the resolution.

Several nations of note didnt support it either.

Germany and the U.K chief among them. They've at least 2 permanent members of the security council members that havent supported it outright

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Why does Palestine need to be a part of the United Nations for ground invasions against it by Israel to be recognised as a war crime?
    Not a war crime necessarily, but the UN, ICJ and international law generally only comes into play when you have a problem between two states.
    As long as Palestine was not recognised as independent, Israel was largely free to bulldoze (literally) over their land without much resistance.

Will this mean a change overnight? Of course not. But it's an important step in the liberation and protection of Palestine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

"U.N actually does have some guts" shocker. Good for the UN, they had to do somthing right eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Just in case anyone's interested (or too lazy to look it up) here are the 41 abstentions

Albania, Andorra, Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Bosnia/Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Cameroon, Colombia, Croatia, Dem. Rep. of Congo, Estonia, Fiji, Germany, Guatemala, Haiti, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Malawi, Monaco, Mongolia, Montenegro, Netherlands, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Poland, Korea, Moldova, Romania, Rwanda, Samoa, San Marino, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Macedonia, Togo, Tonga, UK, Vanuatu

Cheers, was hoping someone would post this.

A few heavyweights in there. Why sit on the fence I wonder? Bah !

I suppose Germany and GB can't really be seen to be voting either way considering the history there.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    Not a war crime necessarily, but the UN, ICJ and international law generally only comes into play when you have a problem between two states.
    As long as Palestine was not recognised as independent, Israel was largely free to bulldoze (literally) over their land without much resistance.

Will this mean a change overnight? Of course not. But it's an important step in the liberation and protection of Palestine.

Perhaps I'm naive but I fail to see why anyone needs U.N intervention or membership to prevent having their land bulldozed by a neighbouring nation

vicwatson wrote: »
    Cheers, was hoping someone would post this.

A few heavyweights in there. Why sit on the fence I wonder? Bah !

I suppose Germany and GB can't really be seen to be voting either way considering the history there.

France voted, so did Spain, Portugal, amongst others

Perhaps not a war crime but not exactly legal either

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Kinda shocked that a lot of the central and eastern european countries voted no, Czech Rep, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania ........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

Several nations of note didnt support it either.

Germany and the U.K chief among them. They've at least 2 permanent of thesecurity council members that havent supported it outright

Well Germany has a certain guilt complex that prevents it from voting against Israel. The U.K was by all accounts wavering between abstaining and voting yes. They had stated they would have voted 'yes' but couldn't get assurances that the PA wouldn't go straight to the ICC. Either way it's hard to portray the vote as anything other than showing strong international support for the PA's position.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Perhaps I'm naive but I fail to see why anyone needs U.N intervention or membership to prevent having their land bulldozed by a neighbouring nation

By being recognized as an actual country, the UN cannot stand by and let them be terrorized by Israel and have their land stolen.

More crucially, if Palestine is not recognized as a country, then Israel is not a "neighboring nation". Palestine remains in Israel and thus, Israel will feel it can do what it likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,066 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

statesaver wrote: »
    Kinda shocked that a lot of the central and eastern european countries voted no, Czech Rep, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania ........

A few dignitaries from each place voted no. It's not really indicative of the population as a whole. I'd hazard a guess and say they were playing it safe knowing that it was sure to pass without them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

As long as Israel remains ally with the U.S it calls the shots. Increased status for Palestine on the world stage does not supercede this fact

...that doesn't address what I asked you.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Important word there being "nation".

Without recognition as a state, an invasion of Palestine is no more serious than the Irish Army invading Cork.

kraggy wrote: »
    By being recognized as an actual country, the UN cannot stand by and let them be terrorized by Israel and have their land stolen.

This is where it begins to get confusing. How can palestine be an "actual country" when its land was stolen?

Isn't this, at least in part, what the whole conflict is about?

By extension how does U.N recognition begin to rectify this whole situation given that a) several resolutions by the very same organisation have been ignored in the past and b) their "opposition", for want of a better term, are backed by one of the u.n' most powerful members?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

A largely symbolic victory that does have some tangible benefits. Its show how morally bankrupt the US and Israeli position really is, and imho a vote against this was approval for the illegal settlement project that has been going on for years.

Without recognition as a state, an invasion of Palestine is no more serious than the Irish Army invading Cork.

As I've said above how can Palestine be a "nation"? Its land has been taken over and occupied by Israel. It isnt, cant be and wont be a "nation" until it get what it wants from Israel. This isnt their fault. This wont happen as long as Israel has the U.S in its corner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

As I've said above how can Palestine be a "nation"? Its land has been taken over and occupied by Israel. It isnt, cant be and wont be a "nation" until it get what it wants from Israel. This isnt their fault. This wont happen as long as Israel has the U.S in its corner.

I imagine what is now being recognised by the UN is the 1967 borders of Palestine i.e ALL of the West Bank and Gaza Strip = Palestine.

Could not believe the aggressive response from the US after the vote results.They should be ashamed of themselves and should not be allowed in any future peace talks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

I'm Happy for Palestinians all over the world, at least they can now go Home

as in, have a home to go to

21/25

uch wrote: »
    I'm Happy for Palestinians all over the world, at least they can now go Home

as in, have a home to go to

The problem is,they cant.Are you aware of all of the Palestinian refugees in Lebanon,Jordan and Syria.Should they want to go to the West Bank or Gaza they would not be left by Israel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

This is where it begins to get confusing. How can palestine be an "actual country" when its land was stolen?

Isn't this, at least in part, what the whole conflict is about?

By extension how does U.N recognition begin to rectify this whole situation given that a) several resolutions by the very same organisation have been ignored in the past and b) their "opposition", for want of a better term, are backed by one of the u.n' most powerful members?

It's simple. Give them ownership and full country-status for the territory they occupy right now, and in the near future, give them back the land on which the Israelis built illegal settlements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I think Israel will have the last laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Bobo78

Could not believe the aggressive response from the US after the vote results.They should be ashamed of themselves and should not be allowed in any future peace talks.

Don't think US is ever in any peace talks just for the peace, they are in more because of the interest that they have than anything else.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

This.

Israel claim that Palestine isn't a state and that the 1967 boarders aren't boarders but armistice lines, and so there was no actual boarder for them to have to respect.

This vote means that the international community has agreed with Palestine that it is a state and exists along 1967 boarders with East Jerusalem as it's capital.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭montreal2011

...suprised at the Canadians.

An explanation from the Montréal Gazette. It seems that the Canadian government were very strongly opposed to the move.
    Why has Canada taken this position?

Those who favoured the move hope it creates a more level playing field for the Palestinians and puts more pressure on Israel following decades of unsuccessful peace negotiations to create a Palestinian state.

Palestinians have refused to meet with Israel as long as the Jewish state continues building on land in the West Bank and East Jerusalem, which it captured during the 1967 war and which most of the world considers Palestinian property.

They also hoped supporting the motion would bolster the position of moderate Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas in the face of increased prominence from the more radical Hamas, which is flying high following this month’s conflict with Israel in Gaza.

But the Harper government believes the initiative will do nothing to advance peace talks between Israel and the Palestinian Authority for the creation of a new Palestinian state.

It worries the move unfairly undermines Israel’s negotiating position by pre-supposing — in the Palestinians’ favour — the results of several important aspects of what are supposed to be direct negotiations between the two sides.

Rather than facilitate future negotiations, the Harper government believes the initiative will harden Israeli and Palestinian resolve to keep pushing their respective positions without compromise.

“The path to peace has historically rested in direct negotiations between the two parties to resolve the outstanding issues and it remains the same today,” Baird told UN members before the vote. “Solutions can only come through the two sides working together.”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭brimal

...suprised at the Canadians.

Actually Canada has a history of being very pro-Israel, this current government included.

I would have been surprised if they didn't vote against.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

dsmythy wrote: »
    ... UK abstained, at least they were planning to anyway.
    They could hardly vote and destroy the last vestige of credibility in their foreign policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

I think Israel will have the last laugh.

I don't this is the start of a very long process and finally the Palestinians are on the right tracks. Abbas has said that he wants to fight the Isreali settlers in a court of law and it's steps like this that will help him. Hopefully Palestinian terrorists will abondon their efforts,show restraint and the Isreali's will then show themselves up as the real bullies they are.

Advertisement