Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai carrying Guns

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

MEMBER12 wrote: »
    Yeah members working alone on nights in dangerous areas. Or working alone in very busy city centre areas, I'm tired of waiting for assistance and and the first to arrive are from a different station. Don't get me wrong I'm always glad to get the help but there is just not enough of us. If we are barely able to back each other up how are we to look after others? And then if you are attacked you still stand alone in court.Oh the joy of this job.

Basically there's issues with back up response times and the numbers of officers on the ground (because of cutbacks or for what ever other reason) and rather than fix those problems you want to add on the costs of equipment and on-going training for the full force to be armed?

That's mad Ted!

480905 wrote: »
    A tuppence... Give any person willing to risk their lives in the line of duty the best possible means to defend themselves. Let the politicians walk the streets in their shoes before they decide on a matter that has life or death consequences.

A tuppence... Give any person willing to risk their lives in as they go about their daily life the best possible means to defend themselves.

I have risked my life before and will likely do so again -- can I have a gun too?

audidiesel wrote: »
    realise that its probably getting to the stage where it may start to be a necessity.

What exactly do you mean by it's "probably getting to the stage" -- can you back that statement up with crime stats showing massive rises in crimes where guns would be useful to beat cops?

the regional support units are absolutely fantastic and one of the best things the job has done. but with the very high training and equipment costs they have, we simply wont have enough of them throughout the country.

I would guess that it would cost less to bring in extra support units and have more ERU on standby than it would cost arming and training ever member of the force.

im not going to try and dissuade anyone here about gardai carrying guns or not. thats not my job. but i would counter that by saying that the gardai should probably be allowed make the ultimate decision themselves. after all its us that are the ones putting our lives on the line.

I have great respect for anybody working as a police officer, but with all due respect, any police officer is there to enforce the law using the means acceptable to government and the people. Such a massive change in our policing is a political matter.
    i do feel we should have the right to choose ourselves and not put our lives in danger simply to satisfy someone elses ideology

Does that go for anybody or just police officers?

Armed units always turn up, it can just take awhile, leaving the unarmed member without any support till then.

Same argument can be used to say "allow members of the public to be armed."

Turner wrote: »
    Exactly, but this poster is only talking about human rights activists. Not about a persons human rights or their importance.

Generally people who work for a living and pay taxes do not like people who have nothing better to do and who go out of their way to complain, make complaints to get others into bother, and also people who protest.

Especially when these people should be out working and minding their own business and getting on with their lives.

Actually there can be often public and legal support for such people -- such as those who attacked US army aircraft or contracted at Shannon.

Equally are loads of people were very annoyed with those who looked for the right of women to vote or those who stil look for equal rights of people with different skin colour or sexual preference.

source wrote: »
    The argument that criminals will arm themselves if Gardai are armed is a flawed one, as criminals currently have more firepower than Gardai do. Criminals in this country have access to handguns, rocket launchers, grenades, assault rifles, sub machine guns, pipe bombs........ Yet Gardai go out every day to face these criminals with a small can of pepper spray, a 16in baton, and a poor quality protective vest. It is a ridiculous situation that Gardai find themselves in.

You're listing off all the weapons the criminals have access to but only the basic ones AGS have access to. The force has access to assault rifles, sub machine guns, hand guns, flash bangs, sniper rifles, tasers, flashbangs, etc and support from the army who have even more guns if needed.

How many times has a member been confronted by a rocket launcher or a grenade?

The defence forces seem to deal with pipe bombs quite well and what that has to do with arming everybody on the force is a mystery given hand guns don't work very well against IEDs.

Also any need for a larger can of pepper spray or better baton or better quality protective vest or more widly available tasers seem like they maybe should be a priority over getting guns.

I am not going to comment further on this case as it is going way off topic. I only commented on it, as I felt you have left out a number of important facts in order to have the case fit your ideas on arming Gardai.

It's not off topic, it's at the core of how, when, and who is armed and how they are allowed to use force or how they abuse the force they get.

Zambia wrote: »
    Do you not see the utter contradiction in your post.

You agree Frontline police need a armed response capable of quick deployment. You think the Frontline troops should not be armed.

The armed response units are employed from the same frontline police.

There's no contradiction.

The key difference is the armed response units are more highly trained and equipped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

monument wrote: »

The key difference is the armed response units are more highly trained and equipped.

If the RSU is attending to one task where does that leave the other operational units?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭pah

Im sure you will be told there are not enough incidents occuring that may require an armed response in two places in one district at the same time :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

If the RSU is attending to one task where does that leave the other operational units?

You train and keep enough people to reasonably cover possible demand.

pah wrote: »
    Im sure you will be told there are not enough incidents occuring that may require an armed response in two places in one district at the same time :rolleyes:

No :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

war_child wrote: »
    I have to say with all honesty i dread the idea of all guards being armed ....most cant deal with the small amount of beat power they have and on occasion cant resist from givin someone a good kickin just coz they didnt get laid lastnight ...arming guards is NOT an option ...and i would strongly protest against this if it ever arose in Ireland ..
    After the Civil war in this Country, Yes Ireland had a civil War, The Gardai predecessor the RIC and Irish Republican Police, Dublin Metropolitan Police had arms. Many RIC barracks had plenty of Guns to kill or injury anybody. That where Michael Collins and Co got most of their guns in the war of independence.
    http://www.policehistory.com/issues.html
    CIVIC GUARDS

The Irish War of Independence from 1919 was ended by a truce on 11 July 1921 and talks between the British and Irish Republication delegation culminated in the Anglo-Irish Treaty which was signed on 6 December 1921 and ratified by Dail Eireann on 7 January 1922. Agreement was also reached in January 1922 by the British and the newly formed Provisional Government to disband the Royal Irish Constabulary, and on Thursday 9 February 1922 a meeting was held at the Gresham Hotel, Dublin to establish a police force to replace the RIC. The Civic Guard was so formed on 22 February 1922 and renamed the Garda Síochána on 8 August 1923. The Civic Guards were initially armed and trained at the Royal Dublin Society Showgrounds, Ballsbridge, Dublin and transferred from there to Kildare Military Barracks on 25 April 1922. Following a mutiny in Kildare the first commissioner, Michael Staines, T.D. tendered his resignation on 18 August and he was succeeded as by General Eoin O'Duffy on 10 September. Dublin Castle and nearby Ship Street Barracks was taken over by the Civic Guards on 17 August 1922. It was here that 19 year old Charles Eastwood, Civic Guard 1017 was accidentally shot dead by a colleague, Leo Herde, Civic Guard 1498 on 20 September. It was decided that the Civic Guards would henceforth be an unarmed police force. On 28 October 1922, the Civil War claimed the first life of a Garda when Garda Henry Phelan was shot dead in Mullinahone, Co. Tipperary when he was mistaken for his brother, a former member of the RIC. In the same month the Gardai moved to Collinstown, Co. Dublin and then to the Phoenix Park RIC Depot which was vacated on 17 December 1922.
    Michael Staines TD 1922
    The Garda Síochána will succeed not by force of arms or numbers, but on their moral authority as servants of the people.
    Me personally, I would not respect a guard if he or she has a gun. A gun is used to overpower innocent people and cause serious harm. Now they are certain situations I allow arms in response to restore peace. i.e Terrorist or criminal gangs are shooting at them or the public, then that is the only on certain occasions, I will allow certain very Highly train members to have arms when the threat to public safety arrives and arms put away on peaceful times, otherwise they become in contempt to the people or Ireland to which they are meant to serve.

It would not surprise me if they had arms some of them would have shot peaceful protesters over time. Thankfully in the early days of our State origins they saw the light and force the Civic Guards to patrol without Arms in a hostile environment after the Irish civil war when weapons where plentiful as spuds and did under tough times restored the peace for the good of all.

There is a long history especially in America and other nations where trigger happy Peace officers serious injure innocence people or kill innocence people. Have threatened with arms provided by the state force their arms on the people they are meant to serve for very minor offences. They bring the force of Peace officers into disrepute.
    Garda Síochána na hÉireann is usually rendered as the "Guard of the Peace of Ireland" or the "Guardians of the Peace (of Ireland)".
    The first Garda Síochána Code was published in 1928 covering every possible regulation which were very strictly enforced. Formal and informal station inspections by senior officers were carried out very frequently and often feared.
    It was unfortunate that the Gardai did not keep the high standards set out in the early days, that now we have the Garda ombudsman due to the indiscipline of members or the gardai and their superiors in failing to keep those high standards. The repeated court cases against gardai and Courts Cases fall due to Garda indiscipline or poor knowledge of the Law. It is justification for not allowing gardai to be armed with dangerous weapons and I put Tasers in that category. I have videos and news reports of certain Gardai lose their temperament and beat the hell out of individuals with batons and breaching their duty to keep the peace.

I would recommend anyone learn from our own history

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0318/garda.html
    Mr Feeney has also strongly criticised the Garda Ombudsman Commission's attempt to change the legislation to allow gardaí investigate minor complaints against gardaí.

However, a spokesman for the Commission said this evening that while it has to investigate all allegations of potential criminality against gardaí, it often becomes apparent very quickly that if the offence is of a minor nature, it does not require the full mechanism of an independent investigation.
    He demean minor offences of the gardai which allow indiscipline to Prospers and allowing gardai to arm endangers themselves further and arms gangs will shot sooner rather than later in which gardai can get themselves ready for a confrontation properly and with proper backup in a safer environment for the public.

If I was the Commissioner of the Gardai or Minister of Justice and put into law or the Irish Constitution:
    I would force every member of the Gardai to repeat the words in Irish or English every time they come on duty.
    "I as a member of the Garda Síochána is under oath, on the authority of the people of Ireland to keep the peace and to serve them for the common good and to uphold and protect their rights and safety. We the gardai are their servants"
    Michael Staines TD 1922
    The Garda Síochána will succeed not by force of arms or numbers, but on their moral authority as servants of the people.
    This quote by Michael Staines above is still relevant today as it was less than a 90 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,624 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

People obviously think Gardai are going to turn into murderers if they get their hands on a firearm..while I have my concerns over arming the guards which I explained a few pages ago..it's not because I think the Gardai will abuse the power. I think a part of the problem here is that people in Ireland just aren't used to firearms..most have probably never even seen one in reality and TV shows have given them an irrational fear of them, someone said to me a while ago..'What if the guard was walking down the road and the gun just went off?':pac: People clearly think firearms just go off on their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,887 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Are you a member of AGS? Is that your attitude in the course of your work?

It was a throwaway comment, and one which i don't bring to work with me. They just rile me up when they get off harder sentences and get all these "perks" when they should be learning a lesson. I'm not completely against human rights activists, but i believe that they should concentrate their efforts on more worthwhile endeavors, rather than sticking up for the criminal who possibly raped someone.

On topic, i think people who believe that Gardai would turn into gun toting maniacs if they were armed are not thinking it through fully. There is a rigorous training course to become an armed member as it is, and it would be even more rigorous should the need to arm all members arise. The circumstances in which you can utilise a firearm currently are very strict and are not open to interpretation. There's no maybes, or ifs, it's black and white. And member who doesn't stick to this strict set of guidelines risks their job and possibly a criminal conviction, and with the Ombudsman it would make members less inclined to utilise a firearm unless they were 150% sure it was warranted.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭0325422

limklad wrote: »
    I have to say with all honesty i dread the idea of all guards being armed ....most cant deal with the small amount of beat power they have and on occasion cant resist from givin someone a good kickin just coz they didnt get laid lastnight ...arming guards is NOT an option ...and i would strongly protest against this if it ever arose in Ireland ..
    After the Civil war in this Country, Yes Ireland had a civil War, The Gardai predecessor the RIC and Irish Republican Police, Dublin Metropolitan Police had arms. Many RIC barracks had plenty of Guns to kill or injury anybody. That where Michael Collins and Co got most of their guns in the war of independence.
    CIVIC GUARDS

The Irish War of Independence from 1919 was ended by a truce on 11 July 1921 and talks between the British and Irish Republication delegation culminated in the Anglo-Irish Treaty which was signed on 6 December 1921 and ratified by Dail Eireann on 7 January 1922. Agreement was also reached in January 1922 by the British and the newly formed Provisional Government to disband the Royal Irish Constabulary, and on Thursday 9 February 1922 a meeting was held at the Gresham Hotel, Dublin to establish a police force to replace the RIC. The Civic Guard was so formed on 22 February 1922 and renamed the Garda Síochána on 8 August 1923. The Civic Guards were initially armed and trained at the Royal Dublin Society Showgrounds, Ballsbridge, Dublin and transferred from there to Kildare Military Barracks on 25 April 1922. Following a mutiny in Kildare the first commissioner, Michael Staines, T.D. tendered his resignation on 18 August and he was succeeded as by General Eoin O'Duffy on 10 September. Dublin Castle and nearby Ship Street Barracks was taken over by the Civic Guards on 17 August 1922. It was here that 19 year old Charles Eastwood, Civic Guard 1017 was accidentally shot dead by a colleague, Leo Herde, Civic Guard 1498 on 20 September. It was decided that the Civic Guards would henceforth be an unarmed police force. On 28 October 1922, the Civil War claimed the first life of a Garda when Garda Henry Phelan was shot dead in Mullinahone, Co. Tipperary when he was mistaken for his brother, a former member of the RIC. In the same month the Gardai moved to Collinstown, Co. Dublin and then to the Phoenix Park RIC Depot which was vacated on 17 December 1922.
    Michael Staines TD 1922
    Me personally, I would not respect a guard if he or she has a gun. A gun is used to overpower innocent people and cause serious harm. Now they are certain situations I allow arms in response to restore peace. i.e Terrorist or criminal gangs are shooting at them or the public, then that is the only on certain occasions, I will allow certain very Highly train members to have arms when the threat to public safety arrives and arms put away on peaceful times, otherwise they become in contempt to the people or Ireland to which they are meant to serve.

It would not surprise me if they had arms some of them would have shot peaceful protesters over time. Thankfully in the early days of our State origins they saw the light and force the Civic Guards to patrol without Arms in a hostile environment after the Irish civil war when weapons where plentiful as spuds and did under tough times restored the peace for the good al all.

There is a long history especially in America and other nations where trigger happy Peace officers serious injure innocence people or kill innocence people. Have threatened with arms provided by the state force their arms on the people they are meant to serve for very minor offences. They bring the force of Peace officers into disrepute.
    Garda Síochána na hÉireann is usually rendered as the "Guard of the Peace of Ireland" or the "Guardians of the Peace (of Ireland)".
    The first Garda Síochána Code was published in 1928 covering every possible regulation which were very strictly enforced. Formal and informal station inspections by senior officers were carried out very frequently and often feared.
    It was unfortunate that the Gardai did not keep the high standards set out in the early days, that now we have the Garda ombudsman due to the indiscipline of members or the gardai and their superiors in failing to keep those high standards. The repeated court cases against gardai and Courts Cases fall due to Garda indiscipline or poor knowledge of the Law. It is justification for not allowing gardai to be disarmed.

I would recommend anyone learn from our own history

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0318/garda.html
    Mr Feeney has also strongly criticised the Garda Ombudsman Commission's attempt to change the legislation to allow gardaí investigate minor complaints against gardaí.

However, a spokesman for the Commission said this evening that while it has to investigate all allegations of potential criminality against gardaí, it often becomes apparent very quickly that if the offence is of a minor nature, it does not require the full mechanism of an independent investigation.
    He demean minor offences of the gardai which allow indiscipline to Prospers and allowing gardai to arm endangers themselves further and arms gangs will shot sooner rather than later in which gardai can get themselves ready for a confrontation properly and with proper backup in a safer environment for the public.

If I was the Commissioner of the Gardai or Minister of Justice and put into law or the Irish Constitution:
    I would force every member of the Gardai to repeat the words in Irish or English every time they come on duty.
    "I as a member of the Garda Síochána is under oath, on the authority of the people of Ireland to keep the peace and to serve them for the common good and to uphold and protect their rights and safety. We the gardai are their servants"
    Michael Staines TD 1922
    This quote by Michael Staines above is still relevant today as it was less than a 90 years ago.

Another "are you here under oath" merchant.. Excellent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

You train and keep enough people to reasonably cover possible demand.

Ok so if a member encounters a threat that requires a firearm what is an acceptable response time to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

Ok so if a member encounters a threat that requires a firearm what is an acceptable response time to you?

The only acceptable response time is, the time it takes to draw and get a sight picture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

0325422 wrote: »
    Another "are you here under oath" merchant.. Excellent
    What a demeaning comment from you and supported by goldie fish in which he thanks your comment, which degrades the honour of the Gardai and degrades the work of most honourable Members of the Gardai who swear by their Oath who stay within the confines of the law and fight and keep our street and homes safe as much as they can. Comments like this allow and approve of corrupt Gardai to get away with criminal activities such as thuggery and assaults, just because they are in a bad mood or believe they can do what they like that they have to power to. Having a bad mood does not give me the right to beat a Garda or any member of the public. How proud of you seeing bad tempered Gardai breaching the rights of safely of others, just because they or you do not like the person they are beating. I do not like everybody, but it does not gives me the right to abuse others or degrade them or you. I and you and everybody in this world have the power with our bodies to beat, humiliate, degrade abuse anyone, It does not gives us the right to do so, that why we have laws, to put in consequences when people abuses others.

Over the decades up to 1982, and became a criminal offence in 1996, where corporal punishment in schools where teacher beat kids for not able to learn or was in a bad mood and was able to do so legally up to then. Those corrupt teachers believe it was for the "Common good" and had no problem in fooling others to comply or to approve of their bad behaviour, that they were better and knows best because they knew "education", they believe they "know best" attitude allow them to get away with gross assaults and other abuses, believed that they were better than the common community and smarter than the helpless and defend less kids they beat, leaving heavy bruises and certain Gardai who approve of that bad behaviour also believe it was the kids own fault for been beaten, that the kids deserve to be beaten and deserved to be verbally and emotional abused.

Nobody deserve to be abused.
    Absolute power corrupts
    Just because thuggery is big in certain parts of our Society does not give the Gardai or any honour bound profession the Rights to behave like Thugs.

You do seem by your comment that morality what is truly good for the common good is an big issue for you.

No wonder our society is in such a bad state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

Police officers the world over call the shifts they work, tours of duty. It's got nothing to do with adopting an aggressive military mentality.

It's a part of the jobs lexicon. All large organisations develop their own form of language, which to means nothing (or something very different) to outsiders. Yes some of the policing vocabulary is taken from the military, most of it is taken from legislation, and the rest is local slang.

In Limerick a meal break is called "the grub", in Dublin it's called "Refs" or "refreshments". A drunk driver is a 49, a Garda is a mule or polisman, and there are others like long numbers, compol and pulse. Oh and yes shifts are called tours.

Most of what I've said above will be foreign to some members of this board, and to others the meanings of the words will be as clear as day.

So lets not try to make out like I'm advocating aggressive tactics, just because you don't know the lingo.

Be careful or you'll have to "crease a half sheet"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭.243

Be careful or you'll have to "crease a half sheet"
    and crease that half again just to be sure !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

limklad wrote: »
    What a demeaning comment from you and supported by goldie fish in which he thanks your comment, which degrades the honour of the Gardai and degrades the work of most honourable Members of the Gardai who swear by their Oath who stay within the confines of the law and fight and keep our street and homes safe as much as they can. Comments like this allow and approve of corrupt Gardai to get away with criminal activities such as thuggery and assaults, just because they are in a bad mood or believe they can do what they like that they have to power to. Having a bad mood does not give me the right to beat a Garda or any member of the public. How proud of you seeing bad tempered Gardai breaching the rights of safely of others, just because they or you do not like the person they are beating. I do not like everybody, but it does not gives me the right to abuse others or degrade them or you. I and you and everybody in this world have the power with our bodies to beat, humiliate, degrade abuse anyone, It does not gives us the right to do so, that why we have laws, to put in consequences when people abuses others.

Over the decades up to 1982, and became a criminal offence in 1996, where corporal punishment in schools where teacher beat kids for not able to learn or was in a bad mood and was able to do so legally up to then. Those corrupt teachers believe it was for the "Common good" and had no problem in fooling others to comply or to approve of their bad behaviour, that they were better and knows best because they knew "education", they believe they "know best" attitude allow them to get away with gross assaults and other abuses, believed that they were better than the common community and smarter than the helpless and defend less kids they beat, leaving heavy bruises and certain Gardai who approve of that bad behaviour also believe it was the kids own fault for been beaten, that the kids deserve to be beaten and deserved to be verbally and emotional abused.

Nobody deserve to be abused.

Just because thuggery is big in certain parts of our Society does not give the Gardai or any honour bound profession the Rights to behave like Thugs.

You do seem by your comment that morality what is truly good for the common good is an big issue for you.

No wonder our society is in such a bad state.

Society is in the state it is in because nobody has any respect for authority, not because authority has no respect for the rights of the individual to do whatever the hell they feel like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Society is in the state it is in because nobody has any respect for authority, not because authority has no respect for the rights of the individual to do whatever the hell they feel like.

We're a bit off the gun issue here, but who or what is that authority, and what might motivate people to have respect for them or it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

A change in values. Moving away from the mé féin culture encouraged from an early age.

Just to clarify, who are the authorities you are thinking of?

With regard to the "mé féin culture" who do you feel is encouraging it?

We're a bit off the gun issue here, but who or what is that authority, and what might motivate people to have respect for them or it?

I think alot of ordinary people in this country became total assholes during the celtic tiger, alot of kids got everything they wanted when they wanted it and grew up with a dickhead attitude, "No" was not a word they were used to or indeed also many of their greedy parents during that period were the same. Many had a huge sense of entitlement and anyone in "Authority" like the police who are "authorised" with policing the state or teachers who taught them and had to deal with these pricks were the probelm and didnt deserve respect when they checked these people. I'm a policeman and I treat everyone equally but if you want me to respect you then treat me, others, their property and the laws of the land with respect and you'll get it back. When you dont you get what is appropiate in the circumstances and if you dont like it you can contact the ombudsman or Joe Joe Duffy or whoever you like. If you could spend a couple of nights in the rear of a patrol car in any town in Ireland watching the work of Gardai you would soon change your tune!

I think alot of ordinary people in this country became total assholes during the celtic tiger, alot of kids got everything they wanted when they wanted it and grew up with a dickhead attitude, "No" was not a word they were used to or indeed also many of their greedy parents during that period were the same. Many had a huge sense of entitlement and anyone in "Authority" like the police who are "authorised" with policing the state or teachers who taught them and had to deal with these pricks were the probelm and didnt deserve respect when they checked these people.

I guess that's some of the corrosive individualism that President Higgins has talked about. Personally I don't think the sense of entitlement is confined to the children of the Celtic Tiger. I also believe that accountability and authority have to go together.

I'm a policeman and I treat everyone equally but if you want me to respect you then treat me, others, their property and the laws of the land with respect and you'll get it back. When you dont you get what is appropiate in the circumstances and if you dont like it you can contact the ombudsman or Joe Joe Duffy or whoever you like. If you could spend a couple of nights in the rear of a patrol car in any town in Ireland watching the work of Gardai you would soon change your tune!

I presume the "you" there is the general you?

This not being about the guns issue it's probably best left for another thread, but my own view is that the necessary respect is a bit unevenly distributed as well as being generally thin on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭pah

• Advertisement

I guess that's some of the corrosive individualism that President Higgins has talked about. Personally I don't think the sense of entitlement is confined to the children of the Celtic Tiger. I also believe that accountability and authority have to go together.

I presume the "you" there is the general you?

This not being about the guns issue it's probably best left for another thread, but my own view is that the necessary respect is a bit unevenly distributed as well as being generally thin on the ground.

No

No

Whose tune are you referring to then, and what tune is it exactly?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Do you not see the utter contradiction in your post.

You agree Frontline police need a armed response capable of quick deployment. You think the Frontline troops should not be armed.

The armed response units are employed from the same frontline police.

That, and you have that perennial problem with a 'reaction force' concept. As they say over here, when seconds count, backup is only minutes away.

Or, to take a different adage, a good enough solution now is better than the perfect solution several minutes in the future.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭misterdarkness

Random wrote: »
    i wonder if we armed all the gardai, would we have cops that act like the american ones do on shows like "cops"?

i remember watching a road wars episode where 2 of the uk (unarmed) cops went to the states to go around with some american cops for a few weeks. the 2 uk lads chased down and detained an armed suspect while the american cops arrived later (they couldnt keep up or react quick enough?), guns drawn, wondernig wtf the uk lads were up to.

there seems to be a bit of a "hands on" approach to some policing by unarmed forces while if you look at the americans (for example) its all guns drawn escalating minor things into big messes in a hurry. at the end of the day the cop seems to either shoot or have to holster his weapon and chase anyway.

i think it would be a good idea to arm all the gardai, provided they (most of them anyway!) continue to use a bit of the common sense approach and dont turn into those american (the ones protrayed on the reality tv shows anyway) cops that are just too gun happy or taser happy for no good reason.

maybe for another thread but give the gardai the equipment and the manpower they need and stop paying over inflated pensions to politions who are still ****in working.

I agree. I'm a guard and I would vote now to be armed. I work on my own a lot in very rural area and have had damn hairy situations in the past.

To be fair to american police everyone and their granny has a gun over there and there is a real chance with any call of being shot at so I see why they are quick to have hands on gun.

But we need to look at other European models like German France or even the north . You don't hear of police shootings often there. Its security for us and reassurance for public that the police can deal with any situstion. As it stand I've had stolen cars driven at me from lads trying yo get away from burglaries. Would they try and drive over me if there was a cross hair on their body? Obviously human instint takes over and they surrender before it turns lethal

Good man yourself. Good luck with that

.243 wrote: »
    and crease that half again just to be sure !!!

Cos if you don't you get blocked

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭MEMBER12

Just checking the news today, was an unarmed Garda shot at in Portmarnock? Reports are saying two shots were fired. Really how long will we allow this to go on. It is time to have a referendum on this. Let's put it to a vote. I believe it is time to arm the Gardai. I believe it is time to follow best practice around the world, I would vote to follow the Canadian system. Let's have this vote before a Garda gets shot. How many dead Gardai should it take before we demand a fully resourced police FORCE?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Just checking the news today, was an unarmed Garda shot at in Portmarnock? Reports are saying two shots were fired. Really how long will we allow this to go on. It is time to have a referendum on this. Let's put it to a vote. I believe it is time to arm the Gardai. I believe it is time to follow best practice around the world, I would vote to follow the Canadian system. Let's have this vote before a Garda gets shot. How many dead Gardai should it take before we demand a fully resourced police FORCE?

It doesn't require a change in constitution, no referendum necessary. It just requires the government to get off their ass and change policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

You'd probably be surprised if you knew how often unarmed Gardaí get shot at.

And i can't see any major changes coming any time soon, not unless something really bad happens that shows a weakness in the organisation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Shots were fired at a Guard recently when an unarmed member intervened in a robbery in Portmarknock.

There's an example.

Advertisement