Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭gg2

I joined yesterday... Huge shock when I stepped on the scale- didn't think I had so much to loose! Today was good- done the "curry in a hurry" for dinner and it was surprisingly tasty... will deffo experiment more with flavours the next time I cook it.

emma mc what is the chick pea dahl??

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭emma_mc123

gg2 wrote: »

well, I haven't tried it yet
    when I cook dahl, it's lentils cooked in curry spices etc

so I'm assuming it's the same with chickpeas instead of or as well as lentils

the slimming world UK peeps keep posting a recipe which involved a pack of savoury rice cooked, add a tin of chickpea dahl, 4 beaten eggs
    bake it all in a loaf tin and it makes a curry rice loaf

will experiment over the weekend :-o

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Mharper

I joined yesterday... Huge shock when I stepped on the scale- didn't think I had so much to loose! Today was good- done the "curry in a hurry" for dinner and it was surprisingly tasty... will deffo experiment more with flavours the next time I cook it.

Hi,

I also joined yesterday and got such a shock when I stepped on the scales! The hard work starts now for me but I am determined to lose the weight. What is the curry in a hurry recipe?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Dair

the hot salads sound nice...only 1/2lb pound off last night so a little disappointed. However its still better than 1/2lb up so am staing positive. last few weeks have been tough, im still on plan but not loosing, i now im exercising more but i thought id be seeing in on the scales this week. i had a great week food wise so i was disappointed. Im going to try a red day today and maybe again next week to see if i can boost the losses again

Any tips emma, you seem to be doing great??
    emma_mc123 wrote: »
    lost 2.5 last night and won slimmer of the week

delighted :-D

experimenting with hot & spicy salads lately
    cook the meat/quorn in different spices (sometimes a taco mix - 5 syns for entire pack)
    serve hot meat on bed of spinach, tomatoes, whatever salad you like

feels more substantial than a cold salad, and I'm not quite a soup eater so this is good for me

although I have made a nice chicken and sweetcorn soup using creamed corn that I bought up north last week

plan to make the curry loaf as well. Bought some chickpea dahl as well up north, and got some savoury rice in my slimmer of the week prize :)

nothing special or amazing

the biggest thing for me is preparation
    I always eat better on days that I prepare a proper breakfast the night before, eggs, fish etc
    the protein fills me much more than porridge etc ever can, and I always feel less bloated without the starchy-ness

I was really struggling for a while, up 2lbs, down 2lbs, up a pound etc
    so I just sat down and talked to my consultant. she didn't give me any secret tips, but just getting my struggles out there and knowing that someone in group knew them made it easier. that was on the week of my last gain, 3 weeks later, I've lost 5.5lbs :-D

keep up the exercise, it really helps

• Advertisement

Mharper wrote: »

Hi,

I also joined yesterday and got such a shock when I stepped on the scales! The hard work starts now for me but I am determined to lose the weight. What is the curry in a hurry recipe?

It sounds horrible but don't let it put u off! Tin of mushy peas, tin of beans, tin of chopped tomato and curry powder heated in a pot and blend to make it saucy!

Chick pea loaf sounds yummy!!

Dair don't let it get u down! If u only lost 1/2 a lb a week between now and xmas you'll have half a stone off!
    The excercise could take a couple of weeks to show on the scales too.

We'll do it together lads!!

It sounds horrible but don't let it put u off! Tin of mushy peas, tin of beans, tin of chopped tomato and curry powder heated in a pot and blend to make it saucy!

oh I made that curry, had to really force myself to try it
    but it's super yummy
    I have loads of spices in the cupboard so used a great mix

my boyfriend also tried it and loved it (didn't tell him til after he tried it!)

Thannks gg,
    need to get organised and have more food i tried a red day yesterday, going great until i got delayed at work and never made butcher, swopped to a green day and syned my ham so hoping and your right 1/2lb is heading in the right direction so i really cant complain but sometimes its so hard to keep positive.

Dair don't let it get u down! If u only lost 1/2 a lb a week between now and xmas you'll have half a stone off!

oh I made that curry, had to really force myself to try it
    but it's super yummy
    I have loads of spices in the cupboard so used a great mix

my boyfriend also tried it and loved it (didn't tell him til after he tried it!)

thanks for your reply! What curry powder do you use?

Mharper wrote: »
    thanks for your reply! What curry powder do you use?

I bought a tikka mix from tesco, to be honest it was a bit bland. So I added some cayenne chilli pepper, garam masala and cumin afterwards

just mix until you get the flavour you like :)

• Advertisement

I bought a tikka mix from tesco, to be honest it was a bit bland. So I added some cayenne chilli pepper, garam masala and cumin afterwards

just mix until you get the flavour you like :)

That's great thanks so much

1st weigh in tomorrow. Sickened because even though I followed everything to the book I have a feeling I haven't lost a thing- you know when you just know?

1st weigh in tomorrow. Sickened because even though I followed everything to the book I have a feeling I haven't lost a thing- you know when you just know?

Stay positive and best of luck :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭boxercreations

How did WI go?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭boxercreations

I call that mushy pea curry and it's lovely - I blend mine if doing SW chips and want curry sauce otherwise I stirfry onions, mushrooms, peppers & butternut squash then add the rest to make a filling veg curry.
    Instead of rice I've started using cauliflower rice - a really easy way to make up your superfree food (great with chilli too) and tastes different to boiled cauliflower - more nutty?!?

I call that mushy pea curry and it's lovely - I blend mine if doing SW chips and want curry sauce otherwise I stirfry onions, mushrooms, peppers & butternut squash then add the rest to make a filling veg curry.
    Instead of rice I've started using cauliflower rice - a really easy way to make up your superfree food (great with chilli too) and tastes different to boiled cauliflower - more nutty?!?

how do you do the cauliflower rice? it's something I've wanted to try for a while now!

never heard of cauliflour rice, sounds yum!! have you a reciepe and instructions please?? weigh in tomorrow fingers crossed ive had a pretty good week, off swimming later to keep it going!!

Weigh in tonight, lost 1.5lbs :-D
    only 1lb away from getting my one stone award, so motivated to keep going!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Twenty10

To make the cauliflower rice you grate the raw cauliflower with the side on the grater that produces bits the size of rice granules. Put the grated cauliflower in a microwavable container with the lid on it, don't add any water to it as the cauliflower has enough in it and microwave for 4 mins (based on a 850W microwave). Its then ready to eat, and its a pretty good substitute for rice.

How did WI go?

2 lbs off. Trying not to get disheartened, its better than nothing but its just that I was so so good and you always hear of people losing big amounts on their first week. Leader reckons I wasn't using enough syns each day- I saved them up all week to get an Indian on Saturday.
    Going to start using 6-7 per day now. Its just I've lost my craving for chocolate so don't want to use them on that or any sweets/crisps. Anyone any healthy alternatives? Don't really want to go down the carbs route either as I don't think that would work well for me.

• Advertisement

Good woman!

2 lbs off. Trying not to get disheartened, its better than nothing but its just that I was so so good and you always hear of people losing big amounts on their first week. Leader reckons I wasn't using enough syns each day- I saved them up all week to get an Indian on Saturday.
    Going to start using 6-7 per day now. Its just I've lost my craving for chocolate so don't want to use them on that or any sweets/crisps. Anyone any healthy alternatives? Don't really want to go down the carbs route either as I don't think that would work well for me.

I don't eat a lot of carbs either, as I know they don't really agree with me
    which is why the cauliflower rice sounds great

don't be disheartened, I've never lost more than 3lbs in a week, and those are the weeks I've been angelic. you really are advised not to save your syns for one day in the week though :-/

a lot of the girls use the hot chocolate options sachets for their chocolate cravings, only 1-2 syns i think

the passed 4 or 5 weeks, I've been losing consistently, really happy. And I've managed to have a chocolate snack every now and then. Allowing yourself is key to not going mad an binging

hope this helps!

Deffo won't safe them up like that again! Live and learn!

Don't be too hard on yourself

in most cases you are changing a lifelong habit

slimming world do have a flexible syns thing. meaning you can really boost your syns intake for special occasions, i.e. weddings, birthdays etc.
    you are unlikely to loose that week, but it means you won't fall off completely into bad habits
    does that make sense?

also, regarding the chocolate cravings. When I really want them, I tend to get the hifi light bars, or alpen light bars for my Healthy Extra B choice
    2 bars for your days healthy extra. flavours such as chocolate fudge, rocky road, double chocolate etc
    when you use it at a healthy extra, you don't need to syn them ;-)

Well done a loss is a loss! The next time you are in the supermarket pick up 2lb of butter, when you feel the weight of that you will be proud of your loss this week :)

Dont worry sometimes second week is better!!!
    I try and keep away from chocolate and crisps unless i have a craving and save my syns for normal food like butter(low fat), ketucp(low salt and sugar), proper mayo, a little gravey, sometims proper sugar, and then i dont feel like im on a strict diet, sometimes i take extra milk or a piece of cheese!! Obviously not all on the same day but a little every day.These are my favourite indulgences but you prob have your own!!
    Also if you like icecream solero's are nice for 5 syns. Also you prob didnt use your whole week syns on saturday. i usually end up eating out once at the weekend and going for drinks (way more than supposed to) so i nearly always have a flexi day on saturday. I try to be good fri and sun then to make up for it. It works ok, im losing slowly which is not great but im not changing my social life which is great:) Finding a happy balence for you is important.

It will show next week keep the faith!!:)

Is it nice?? Should i try it??
    Twenty10 wrote: »
    To make the cauliflower rice you grate the raw cauliflower with the side on the grater that produces bits the size of rice granules. Put the grated cauliflower in a microwavable container with the lid on it, don't add any water to it as the cauliflower has enough in it and microwave for 4 mins (based on a 850W microwave). Its then ready to eat, and its a pretty good substitute for rice.

Go Emma...your fab!!

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭ditzyfairy

going soon for WI and not sure how I did according to scales at home im down 1lb but its not very accurate, id be delighted if i was down

• Advertisement

ditzyfairy wrote: »
    going soon for WI and not sure how I did according to scales at home im down 1lb but its not very accurate, id be delighted if i was down

Good luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement