Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hurricane Sandy

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

Hysterical reactions again - half of them stocking up on frozen pizza they can't cook if the power goes out - the rest of them will be saying its an illuminati death weapon to sacrifice the population of the east coast to the full moon lizzard goddess.

True enough, when i lived in nyc there was a similar over reaction to a supposed hurricane and it turned out to be nothing more than a normal day in Donegal like storm.

Local economy did very well though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

"Hurricane Sandy"?! What a fooking bent name

"Oooh, it's a bit windy and sandy out. Oohh, best stay home."

Might as well have called it "Hurricane Breezy" or "Hurricane Chilly".

Where are all the "Hurricane Motherfooker"s?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Well to be fair, the hurricane did kill a load of people in the Carribean so they had every right to be a bit wary. Plus I'd say a lot of Americans don't want to take any chances since Katrina. Better safe than sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Hysterical reactions again - half of them stocking up on frozen pizza they can't cook if the power goes out - the rest of them will be saying its an illuminati death weapon to sacrifice the population of the east coast to the full moon lizzard goddess.

Most people have gas barbecues (with tops) so cooking a pizza will take less time than firing up an electric oven etc. But most Americans like the buzz of the queues. We should be quite safe up here but will get 12" to 15" of rain so flooding will be the problem. It is wet now but not overtly so. In case of a long outtage I've stacked wood that will keep the stove going for 3 days @24 hrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,483 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

17 crew took to survival suits and life rafts, conflicting reports of their rescue.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Mitt Romney is advising everyone to follow his tried and tested survival guide and evacuate to their second or third homes for safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,173 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

HMS Bounty Sunk article

http://www.witn.com/home/headlines/Coast-Guard-Rescue-Underway-Now-16-People-In-Lifeboats-Off-NC-Coast-176228331.html

Turns out the ship was used in the Pirates of the Carribbean movies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Paully D wrote: »
    Mitt Romney is advising everyone to follow his tried and tested survival guide and evacuate to their second or third homes for safety.

Obama is advising everyone effected to flee to their real country of birth for safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

I'm in Dublin.
    Few dark clouds, its moderately windy and only isolated patches of rain so far.
    Fingers crossed...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

jester77 wrote: »
    This is a balls. Family wedding next weekend and half the family meant to be coming in from Newark & New York. Looking like they may have to stay back to pick up the pieces, national guard are on standby waiting to help.

They can reroute out of Boston or Atlanta.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Why are people generally so concerned about what's going on USA?

Every year huge storms hit parts of China/S.E. Asia and many other parts of the world too and no one ever talks about them...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

Every year huge storms hit parts of China/S.E. Asia and many other parts of the world too and no one ever talks about them...

Ya but this is murica man

OH but they DO! Probably more than the rest of the world combined in fact, but in Chinese or Mandarin and it's too hard to keep up.

Japan will run English news

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Read the OP man
    Hurricane Sandy hitiing the USA west coast

Subway is closed down.

They don't have Subway in China.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Pilotdude5

In my head I just keep hearing John Travolta saying: Sandy?!

http://pmcmovieline.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/hurricane-sandy1.jpg?w=900

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

They can reroute out of Boston or Atlanta.

Flights are not the problem. If there is flooding and damages to theirs homes and businesses then they will have to remain to clean up and sort it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

HMS Bounty has sunk in the storm with two crew membrs missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ahuminahumina

There's 700 odd Ireland bound passengers stranded in NY
    area airports according to Indo.

There's 700 odd Ireland bound passengers stranded in NY area airports according to Indo.

Too strong a word, they were warning of closures for three days already.

One typically get stranded by unexpected events or underestimated events, Sandy is neither. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,156 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

A lot of irish people, myself included, have family and friends on the east coast of the USA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

friend of mine in NYC has his webcam looking out his window if anyone is interested http://www.justin.tv/doug_sc

he is in an area not in danger so may not see much..

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ahuminahumina

gbee wrote: »

Too strong a word, they were warning of closures for three days already.

One typically get stranded by unexpected events or underestimated events, Sandy is neither. ;)

So why weren't the flights cancelled 3 days ago so?

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭daddydick

I'm in DC and Its a little bit windy and wet...kind of like an Irish winter day...calm before the storm no doubt. No work today or tomorrow though which is great.

Sitting at home looking out the window waiting for this thing....come on Sandy, hurry up I'm getting bored!!

So why weren't the flights cancelled 3 days ago so?

That's a question for the airlines TBH. I'm sure you won't be the only one asking that one.

But they were advising of possible cancellations and for a fact, some were being cancelled last Saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

A tree around the corner from my gaff in Boston has fallen over and destroyed two cars...crazy stuff.

On the plus side, I'm "working" from home with a beer in hand and watching Father Ted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

See attachment

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Lol at some of the comments on twitter: one girl moaning that she is stuck in NY after a holiday and will miss the Nikki Minaj concert.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Hazys wrote: »
    See attachment

One's a Prius,no loss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭deisebibo

have images from Independence Day coming to my mind, finding images of just The Statue of Liberty's arm sticking up out of the water

Advertisement