Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

bcmf wrote: »
    I have a BBB shimano bb tool that should fit most cups except Campy

Internal or external BB?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

ext
    colm_gti wrote: »

Internal or external BB?

bcmf wrote: »
    ext

Ah poop, it's an internal BB and track chainset I've opted for, cheers anyway dude, much appreciated :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Disappointed to have missed this conference and this presentation.....

Beer after exercise: Yes or no?

".....sixteen healthy young male volunteers, moderate consumers of beer, performed, at 35ºC, two exhausting and dehydrating exercise bouts (60 min running in a treadmill) three weeks apart. After exercise, the subjects rehydrate for 2h, in one occasion only with water and, in the other, first with beer (660 ml) followed by water."

Trinity or DCU need to do a larger study to investigate this further. UCD can't, they've no bar:pac:

"Immediately before and after exercise, and after rehydration, a number of variables that could be influenced by exercise, hydration or alcohol were measured. These variables include: body composition, extended blood and urine analysis, plasma volume, markers of muscle damage and inflammation, immunologic parameters, and psychokinetic assessment (including measurements of coordination, attention, stimuli discrimination, perception-reaction time, and visual field).

In none of these parameters we found neither a specific nor a negative effect that could be attributed to the intake of beer compared to the intake of just water. In conclusion, at least in healthy, young adults, beer in moderate amounts is as effective as water for rehydration and recovery after exercise."

lghr0173+homer-simpson-duff-beer-the-simpsons-poster.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Hungrycol wrote: »
    It's up to us cyclist to give out to those cyclists breaking red people.

Didn't have the heart today. Just sighed and confined myself to the notion that we're all doomed to be RLJ's in the eyes of all other road users.

• Advertisement

Just put the first paint chip on my new frame and it hasn't even left the house yet :-/

67FEC2FA-67C0-49A8-A003-3735CEE7B543-31706-000016FBDE7C4536.jpg

At least it's out of the way now I won't be so anal about where I park it when I start commuting...the search begins for a closely matching nail polish....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,124 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

colm_gti wrote: »
    the search begins for a closely matching nail polish....
    I've heard of people colour coordinating their kit, but matching your fingernails with your bike is a bit much :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭flying11

this gave me a good laugh when i was flicking through done deal :D
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/bicycles/4090871

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

can anyone link me to a tube for a 700c hybrid bike on CRC? I think their mobile website is crippled as I can't find half the items I find online till I find an outside link for it if you get me.

cheap and cheerful is fine, with the standard head thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,009 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    can anyone link me to a tube for a 700c hybrid bike on CRC? I think their mobile website is crippled as I can't find half the items I find online till I find an outside link for it if you get me.

cheap and cheerful is fine, with the standard head thanks!

Road tubes are here:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Categories.aspx?CategoryID=2482&SortBy=Price

You haven't said what tyre width or valve type. "Standard head" depends on your perspective. The skinny high pressure ones are called "Presta", the ones on cars and MTBs are called "Schraeder".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Lumen wrote: »
    Road tubes are here:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Categories.aspx?CategoryID=2482&SortBy=Price

You haven't said what tyre width or valve type. "Standard head" depends on your perspective. The skinny high pressure ones are called "Presta", the ones on cars and MTBs are called "Schraeder".
    thanks. its shrader I'm looking for. the tire says 700-35C. I can only see 650c. will that work?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    thanks. its shrader I'm looking for. the tire says 700-35C. I can only see 650c. will that work?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=26727

700 x 28-47 will be suitable

• Registered Users Posts: 24,954 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Involved in an accident with a car last night between Rush and Lusk. Car driver coming towards me made a sudden right turn and I T-boned it. Spent half the night in Beaumont Hospital. Very sore this morning.

A big thank you those motorists who stopped, called emergency services and offered their contact details as witnesses and to the Paramedics, Garda and Beaumont Staff for their help and advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

Sorry to hear this - take it easy, rest up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Giving out to cyclists breaking red is less effective, imho, than simply stopping at red lights yourself; as more people do this it becomes the normative behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Giving out to cyclists breaking red is less effective, imho, than simply stopping at red lights yourself; as more people do this it becomes the normative behaviour.

Some muppet did all that (breaking reds, as I sat patiently at each light then caught up with him again) by the American Embassy today, went through every red, even the one opposite Roly's which is pretty darn dangerous.

He was riding a Trek, in baggies. Fookin' Freds, where's Anto Walsh when he is really needed???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Fookin' Freds, where's Anto Walsh when he is really needed???
    Floggin wheels on boards.ie ironically enough ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Personally I favour both approaches. People who break red lights seem to be oblivious to anything and anyone around them - if they can willfully ignore the fact that their own actions often place themselves in the path of other cyclists and cars, or put them on a collision course with pedestrians, then I reckon they are unlikely to be swayed in their attitude by the fact that other people stop at red.

Pointing out to them the ignorance and danger of their actions can offer an unwelcome insight into their character though. I've had abuse and threats hurled at me in response, on occasion - there clearly are some people out there with a serious grudge against the world. Offering a hug rarely helps either, I've found, it seems to make some of them a bit cross.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

On way out of Tallaght towards town the other night and I passed by two lads RLJing and with no lights, one nearly got his rear wheel smashed off at the junction after rolling into crossing traffic. On the way past, nice and politely I said, careful there your lights aren't on. One, sheepishly replied, oh thanks, knowing he had no lights. The other replied "So WHAT!!!" followed a few seconds later by "I DON'T EVEN HAVE ANY LIGHTS" but i was already a good bit away.

He caught me as he ran another light and screamed that my lights were broken, giggling to himself. I passed him again, saying thanks for the warning, smiling and pulled away effortlessly. We then came to the junction beside Esso at the entrance into Rathmines, where in a move of desperation, to end his life, he sped through a red light screaming, "COME ON GREEN LIGHT", not sure why, luckily a car stalled and he was not run over. I caught him again, as him and his friend kept winding back and forth across the street in an effort to block both cars, buses and other cyclists alike. At this point, I just continued on, the kid wants to die, its his choice, I just don't want to be the one to beat him to death, his own stupidity should take care of that for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

doozerie wrote: »
    Offering a hug rarely helps either, I've found, it seems to make some of them a bit cross.

Don't let that put you off, they just don't realise they need a hug. HUG THEM ALL!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

CramCycle wrote: »
    and pulled away effortlessly..

Yea right! I'd say you were burning up but trying to all cool and the gang!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Involved in an accident with a car last night between Rush and Lusk. Car driver coming towards me made a sudden right turn and I T-boned it. Spent half the night in Beaumont Hospital. Very sore this morning.

A big thank you those motorists who stopped, called emergency services and offered their contact details as witnesses and to the Paramedics, Garda and Beaumont Staff for their help and advice.

Get well soon and I hope the injuries are not too bad :)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,308 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

And the mascot for the next World Championships is

mascotte-2-512x500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

^^ that nose will only get bigger and bigger and bigger (unfortunately) :(

.....meanwhile in Ireland somewhere:
    sorry..............ooooops...............yikes.............just tryin to.................em..........

23919_3899821290213_508581181_n.jpg

Bloody hell. What happened there?

Was there three tractors and another went down the middle?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

F friend linked me to this video, some good bits in it.

5:00-8:30:testing cheap coil locks, abus/kryptonite chains and D locks, quite shocking.

9:00-13:00 : police setting up stings to catch a thiefs.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Gone-in-60-secs-theft-video-2012.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

^^ that nose will only get bigger and bigger and bigger (unfortunately) :(

.....meanwhile in Ireland somewhere:

23919_3899821290213_508581181_n.jpg

A game of '' CHICKEN '' ... perhaps.......and obviously enough neither of the 3 were..!!!!

got a new headlamp. Hurry up royal mail. I wan't my stuff now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

im looking at buying some campagnolo bib tights, but all my bikes have shimano/sram. will they be compatible?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Plastik

IMG_0385.jpg

Ready to kick some ass at the Marathon tomorrow.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement