Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Make money by not paying your fines

Options
  • 22-10-2012 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭

Basically, a friend of my brother didn't pay a €2,500 fine and after all the threatening letters from solicitors he ended up in court, did a few hours in the Midlands and walked out with €1.40 from the daily prisoner wage thing.

The logic of our jusitice system amazes me.

So the moral of the story ladies and gents, don't pay your fines and save and make money. :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

That was the worst story I have ever read

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

donvito99 wrote: »

I'm sorry I didn't throw in some imaginary unicorns and blue elephants to excite you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭HeyThereDeliah

Are you guaranteed to walk out after a few hours or do some people serve all the sentence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Was that €1.40 before or after tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭lisaj

What about the criminal record and credit rating?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

lisaj wrote: »
    What about the criminal record and credit rating?

They're just make believy things, like talking donkeys and witches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭im invisible

donvito99 wrote: »
    still a better love story than twilight
    I'm sorry I didn't throw in some imaginary unicorns and blue elephants to excite you.
    needs more dragons

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Basically, a friend of my brother didn't pay a €2,500 fine and after all the threatening letters from solicitors he ended up in court, did a few hours in the Midlands and walked out with €1.40 from the daily prisoner wage thing, and a criminal record

Fixed your post there.

If you or he are over the moon, well for you. I wouldn't be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

http://www.thejournal.ie/legal-fines-pay-in-instalments-645535-Oct2012/

"The new rules, announced by justice minister Alan Shatter this afternoon, will give people 12 months to pay fines in instalments, with an added premium of 10 per cent – the first time that such an option has been offered.

However, the rules will also allow for the possibility that anyone who does not pay a fine can be brought back to court, which will be able to order that the fine be deducted from the person’s earnings."

You copped on a little late.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

sdeire wrote: »
    Fixed your post there.

From what the OP writes, it sounds like this guy didn't pay a civil judgment, refused to comply with a court order, and was imprisoned for that. If so, there wouldn't be any criminal record.

I assume that the OP's reference to a €2,500 fine should be a reference to a civil judgment instead.

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, anybody.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

From what the OP writes, it sounds like this guy didn't pay a civil judgment, refused to comply with a court order, and was imprisoned for that. If so, there wouldn't be any criminal record.

I assume that the OP's reference to a €2,500 fine should be a reference to a civil judgment instead.

If that's the case then he still owes it.

MagicSean wrote: »
    If that's the case then he still owes it.

Sdeire asserted that the guy also has a criminal record, which appears not to be the case.

Also, the article to which you linked appears to refer to enforcement of criminal fines. Will it also apply to civil judgments? (Not a rhetorical question, I genuinely do not know).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Prisoners get a wage?!! Is this for real? :confused::mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 196 ✭✭shed head

anniehoo wrote: »

yes, it doesn't make sense for them leaving the slammer and mugging the nearest target!

anniehoo wrote: »

Yes, that's where some of the tax from your hard earned wages go. Straight to criminals that do feck all.

shed head wrote: »
    yes, it doesn't make sense for them leaving the slammer and mugging the nearest target!

They still leave practically broke because they spend it on shopping each week.

They still leave practically broke because they spend it on shopping each week.

Ya, they spend it in the prison shop. There's not much left after the price of a pack of fags.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

So they get paid while they do their time??
    I don't care that it's only pennies, that makes me sick. The whole point is that they're removed from society etc,not saving up for their week's shopping when they leave or whatever. It's not my problem that they've may have to start from scratch.

In a few years scum bags who got suspended sentences will sue the state because they were denied the generous prison wages.

I wonder is it pensionable income...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

Did he not have someone to collect his scratcher for him while he was inside ?

juan.kerr wrote: »
    I wonder is it pensionable income...

And sure, if it's pensionable, maybe they can retire somewhere sunny and enjoy the Irish pension benefits without the attendant weather.pacman.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Basically, a friend of my brother didn't pay a €2,500 fine and after all the threatening letters from solicitors he ended up in court, did a few hours in the Midlands and walked out with €1.40 from the daily prisoner wage thing.

So the moral of the story ladies and gents, don't pay your fines and save and make money. :cool:

So your brothers friend doesn't have a job and has refused to pay a fine?? Sounds like a gent.

So your brothers friend doesn't have a job and has refused to pay a fine?? Sounds like a gent.

Since when was this thread about praising the person in question?

And sure, if it's pensionable, maybe they can retire somewhere sunny and enjoy the Irish pension benefits without the attendant weather.pacman.gif

You're not wrong, my friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

i know of a guy who made a nice profit in a similar way
    right chancer but-he went down for non-payment .while in the cell his bed collapsed.he injured his back and got about 15k compo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

There is no imprisonment for non payment of a civil judgement. The only way there might be imprisonment is if there was a civil judgement and there was an instalment proces begun against him and he didn't co-operate with it and pay an instalment. In that case there would be imprisonment for contempt and he would not be let out after a few hours. It was much more likely to have been a 2.5k criminal fine. There is no effect on the criminal record. The imposition of the fine will have been preceded by a conviction. The imprisonment is in lieu of the fine and so makes no difference. His record will always read "convicted of x at y court and fined z".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

There is no imprisonment for non payment of a civil judgement. The only way there might be imprisonment is if there was a civil judgement and there was an instalment proces begun against him and he didn't co-operate with it and pay an instalment. In that case there would be imprisonment for contempt and he would not be let out after a few hours. It was much more likely to have been a 2.5k criminal fine. There is no effect on the criminal record. The imposition of the fine will have been preceded by a conviction. The imprisonment is in lieu of the fine and so makes no difference. His record will always read "convicted of x at y court and fined z".
    ok, suppose a guy owes the bank say, 6K. he's unemployed now and wont/ cant pay.

he doesnt go to court when eventually summoned. judge rules in favour of the bank in absentia . guy still refuse to pay.

what happens next?

ok, I'll give an answer from my understanding. According to Section 28 of the 1926 Act as amended by Section 6 of the 1940 Act a person can be sent to prison for 'willful neglect' to pay a debt after a court order - it doesnt distinguish between ability to pay and wilingness to pay. 35 people were incarcerated last year for non payment of debt.

The New Personal Solvency Bill doesnt seem to address that issue, but it might. (law soc recoms community service) but the bank , well, they aint happy.

What you describe as 'civil' most certainly becomes 'criminal' or as close as makes little difference - ie in terms of consequence.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

If you threw in some genuine unicorns that would really be something !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

Out of interest the fine he received what was it in relation to ?

Advertisement