Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

So is it a good idea to skip first station? Avoid the traffic!

Yep, I'm going to skip it anyway, it will be mayhem I'd say!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

So is it a good idea to skip first station? Avoid the traffic!

You probably wont even need water after 3 miles, unless you need to drink whilst running 10k at pmp...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

blockic wrote: »
    Yep, I'm going to skip it anyway, it will be mayhem I'd say!

Yeah the first one was absolute mayhem last year, especially as they only had one table on one side of the Road :eek:
    As you say, you probably don't need to drink after 3 miles but I always like to take a bottle when they are on offer and have a sip at least.
    There'll be plenty of people grabbing bottles in the early stages and passing them around after taking a sip. Grab one if it is convenient...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Missed a weekend & miscounted the number of weekends i had left before taper. As a result maxed out 17.5m Distance wise weekend before last. Was debating doing 20 miles today but decided it would probably not be a good idea at 2 weeks to do.

Did 15miles & felt fine. Let the 2 week taper commence...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

I find I need water at the start of a race and within the 1st couple of miles, the nerves make my mouth dry up. Be aware of that, maybe sip from a bottle while on the start line.
    Apart from that ever 2nd station is fine.

I'm also going to bring electrolyte tabs ( halved) to pop in the odd bottle as I'm going around .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 steviebrazil86

Hi guys I'm doing the marathon for the first time in weeks, I lost 2 very close friends in March so I'm running it in their name and for charity. I had terrible problems with my IT band over the last few months and my training really went out the window over the last 6 weeks. The most I've ran is 15m (August), I ran 10 yesterday with no pain or tightness. I'm really starting to freak out about the task in hand though have you any advice for just getting through the day? I don't care about a decent time I just want to finish. I'm tempted to go and do 16-18m on the weekend but I'm afraid I'll get injured and I know it's not what you're supposed to do but it's more for a psychological boost...a lot have sponsored me now and I feel I can't pull out at this stage. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Foam roller for the IT band, no more long runs, pace yourself from the very start - walk / run can be very successful - and enjoy the day.

FWIW I was in your situation in May and finished successfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

Taper madness is kicking in. Had a dream last night that it was the morning of the race and I was trying to find the pacers table but I couldnt. I was then walking around Stephens Green carrying a round table looking for the pacers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 peggysue2

dazza21ie wrote: »
    We were supposed to cross train???

I'm glad I've seen this, it's made we question whether to continue with the cross training I have been doing during the programme. I normally do fitness classes in the evenings during the weekdays and my runs early in the morning and have been able to maintain this throughout the program except for the two weeks of highest mileage when I cut back to 4 classes. I've focussed on strength based classes to compliment the cardio from running so mainly kettlebells, aerial hoop, pump, yoga and some spinning. From reading the thread though I reckon I should should cut back next week to rest up as much as possible. Has anyone else been doing any cross training during the program?:confused:

I have to say like a few other people I've started dreaming about the morning of the marathon, including me forgetting to bring my number :( I also get butterflies when someone mentions how little time is left between now and the big day, I suppose it always seemed so far off and now its only 13 days away :eek:

On a positive note thanks to Elvery's I have my new 2170's (and a credit for the difference between the Kayano's and the 2170's yay!) - I've worn them on two long runs, several shorter runs and in classes and they are so comfy and so far (touch wood) my new Forerunner 110 is working well and it has been great to leave the iphone at home.

I'm looking out the window and hoping that we get as beautiful a morning as it is here in Dubln this morning on the big day ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

peggysue2 wrote: »
    I'm glad I've seen this, it's made we question whether to continue with the cross training I have been doing during the programme. I normally do fitness classes in the evenings during the weekdays and my runs early in the morning and have been able to maintain this throughout the program except for the two weeks of highest mileage when I cut back to 4 classes. I've focussed on strength based classes to compliment the cardio from running so mainly kettlebells, aerial hoop, pump, yoga and some spinning. From reading the thread though I reckon I should should cut back next week to rest up as much as possible. Has anyone else been doing any cross training during the program?:confused:

I have to say like a few other people I've started dreaming about the morning of the marathon, including me forgetting to bring my number :( I also get butterflies when someone mentions how little time is left between now and the big day, I suppose it always seemed so far off and now its only 13 days away :eek:

On a positive note thanks to Elvery's I have my new 2170's (and a credit for the difference between the Kayano's and the 2170's yay!) - I've worn them on two long runs, several shorter runs and in classes and they are so comfy and so far (touch wood) my new Forerunner 110 is working well and it has been great to leave the iphone at home.

I'm looking out the window and hoping that we get as beautiful a morning as it is here in Dubln this morning on the big day ;)

You've done well to keep those classes up and to fit them in with your day. Its amazing what a decent pair of shoes can do...I had an injury from wearing the wrong shoes for most of the training but since I got the new ones, the injury is gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Fearg72

I'm not an experienced runner (first marathon) but I have done maybe 30 triathlons over the last 4 years. In my experience, the critical thing over the last few days before the race is not so much the carb loading (makes me feel heavy and sluggish) but the hydration.

I make sure to sip water and/or sports drinks almost constantly for the 3 days before an event. Although I stop sipping so much on the actual morning of the race, so that last toilet stop is maybe 30 minutes before the race to empty the bladder. Full bladder can be uncomfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 La Di Da

Fearg72 wrote: »
    I'm not an experienced runner (first marathon) but I have done maybe 30 triathlons over the last 4 years. In my experience, the critical thing over the last few days before the race is not so much the carb loading (makes me feel heavy and sluggish) but the hydration.

I make sure to sip water and/or sports drinks almost constantly for the 3 days before an event. Although I stop sipping so much on the actual morning of the race, so that last toilet stop is maybe 30 minutes before the race to empty the bladder. Full bladder can be uncomfortable.

Interesting. I was advised last week at a sports massage to drink 2 litres of water per day between now and 29 October. Not sure if this is OTT, but I'm trying to stick to it nonetheless. Some useful taper nutrition/hydration tips on the Runner Academy podcast "Mastering the Taper": http://runneracademy.com/running-podcast/

La Di Da wrote: »
    Interesting. I was advised last week at a sports massage to drink 2 litres of water per day between now and 29 October. Not sure if this is OTT, but I'm trying to stick to it nonetheless. Some useful taper nutrition/hydration tips on the Runner Academy podcast "Mastering the Taper": http://runneracademy.com/running-podcast/

Well going by what is recommended for a healthy lifestyle, the experts say anybody, not just runners should be drinking 3 litres of water a day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

La Di Da wrote: »

I think it is standard advice that all people (runners or not) should drink about 2 litres of water every day. I know I certainly do.

I think this is where a lot of people go wrong as I can never understand why some folk drink so much during their runs. It must be because they start the runs dehydrated and are actually using the water while running to fully hydrate themselves. If you start a run fully hydrated (but not overhydrated) you will find that you don't need to drink that much during the run at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 lrak

lrak wrote: »

Well my 3rd one is still working, hopefully your present and replacement will be fine !😉

Just back from my 10k , which went well but unfortunately my 3rd Garmin forerunner 110 has stopped working, I must be a jinx:) Think at this stage it is time to upgrade to a model which works!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 peggysue2

lrak wrote: »
    Just back from my 10k , which went well but unfortunately my 3rd Garmin forerunner 110 has stopped working, I must be a jinx:) Think at this stage it is time to upgrade to a model which works!
    Better check my husband kept the receipt just in case ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

13 Days to DCM:D:D

Just popping on to say hi and good luck for the rest of your taper. I’m lucky enough to be one of the 4.15 pacers so I’m looking forward to spending a few hours with some of you on the 29th. You may have read the rumour started by digger that the 4.15 pacers were chosen for their beauty, wit and wisdom and while I can’t promise to possess any of those qualities I do promise those who stick with us an enjoyable journey to that Finish Line (well, as enjoyable as a marathon can possibly be:))
    Very, very best of luck to those of you who are concerned about injuries (Kit3, how did you get on with the physio?)

My first marathon was DCM four years ago and unfortunately for me I hadn’t yet discovered the joys of boards; consequently I made every mistake in the book; trained at all the wrong paces and then on the day I started way too fast (I had never even heard of pacers:o), blew up at mile 18 and practically crawled to the Finish Line from there:o However, even with all those mistakes I still made it to the Finish line (I was even smiling:D). So, while you may be starting to get stressed at this point you have no reason to be; you are all in the very fortunate position of having trained properly and you know what to do (and what not to do) on the day:)
    I know you are sick of hearing it but the best bit of advice….
    Relax and enjoy it, you only ever get one First Marathon:)

And BTW, I also have three kids;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Marthastew wrote: »
    13 Days to DCM:D:D

Just popping on to say hi and good luck for the rest of your taper. I’m lucky enough to be one of the 4.15 pacers so I’m looking forward to spending a few hours with some of you on the 29th. You may have read the rumour started by digger that the 4.15 pacers were chosen for their beauty, wit and wisdom and while I can’t promise to possess any of those qualities I do promise those who stick with us an enjoyable journey to that Finish Line (well, as enjoyable as a marathon can possibly be:))
    Very, very best of luck to those of you who are concerned about injuries (Kit3, how did you get on with the physio?)

And BTW, I also have three kids;)

Hi Martha, got on better than I expected today - thought I was definately out going in there. Turns out my pelvis was a bit out of line again and he thinks this is putting pressure on the ankle. Said it was a good sign that it hadn't been as bad this time and that I had got a mile further. He re-aligned everything again and has sent me off to do 15 miles tomorrow, taking neurofen after 5 miles. I then have to drop into him afterwards and he will see if it has slipped again. He thinks its probably down to a small weakness in my behind :rolleyes: that can be worked on but there is no point in starting yet with the marathon so close - gives me some hope that I'll make it although at this stage it will be just to enjoy it and not to push for any time. Takes the pressure off really - at this stage I'd be really happy to be at the start line and if I get there I intend to enjoy every minute of it. Fiingers crossed.

Anyone doing their last SSR ;) in Phoenix Park on Saturday?

I might head up if a few novices here were going to be doing it. Would be nice to put some faces to names on here before the race.

I might head up if a few novices here were going to be doing it. Would be nice to put some faces to names on here before the race.

Yeah, I would be up for that as well.
    What pace are ya going at?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭FiiFii

Scary when you say last... :eek:
    Good idea to know peoples faces before the big day (never know who you'll pass / need to carry you at mile 21.... he he)

I'm thinking of heading over - Reckon my LSR pace is your crawl pace though Blockic ;) Be doing 11-12 min miles if anyone similar or you faster runners fancy company while warming up for your first mile or two..

FiiFii wrote: »
    Scary when you say last... :eek:
    Good idea to know peoples faces before the big day (never know who you'll pass / need to carry you at mile 21.... he he)

I'm thinking of heading over - Reckon my LSR pace is your crawl pace though Blockic ;) Be doing 11-12 min miles if anyone similar or you faster runners fancy company while warming up for your first mile or two..

Doesnt bother me what pace I do this weekend, sure the hard work is done!:)

It would be good if we could get a few together. Anyone else interested?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Carol15

Hi All, training was going well till half marathon where an ITB started acting up. Since then Ive hadplenty of physio and some good runs but midweek miles are down on HHN2 plan. I should have done 12 miles last weekend and wondering whether to attempt tomorrow or replace with an 8-10miler instead rather than risking ITB so close. Thanks C

Carol15 wrote: »
    Hi All, training was going well till half marathon where an ITB started acting up. Since then Ive hadplenty of physio and some good runs but midweek miles are down on HHN2 plan. I should have done 12 miles last weekend and wondering whether to attempt tomorrow or replace with an 8-10miler instead rather than risking ITB so close. Thanks C

Have your LSR miles been down from HHN2 plan since ITB issue?

If not, I would say stick to HHN2 plan and forget about the 12m missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Quiet round here the last couple of days isn't it!

Had another marathon dream last night! Finished in 3.55 and was delighted! Felt so happy in my dream, but the main emotion was relief that it was over, think that’s a sign that I just want to get it done and dusted at this stage. Then in the dream, I went drinking with my brother and had to be carried home absolutely twisted after 3-4 drinks :D Then One Direction appeared for some reason and things got a bit weird from there on :confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

The work is done and you're all set, as far as I know nobody who reached the startline in the last two years from the Novice thread failed to finish.

You've all done fantastic training and it's been very enjoyable to watch you all go from lamenting having to face a 10 miler to calling it an MSR. ;) I was to be pacing 4 hours and was looking forward to meeting a few of ye but alas I won't make the startline on this occasion.

The after race session is in McGrattans, there's seating, hot food and it's the closest pub to the finish. See ya'll there and best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭docrock

Just a few questions in relation to the finishing area & McGrattans pub which someone may be able to answer.I know the area well but obviously as being a first timer I dont know what is going to happen after the finish line (on the assumption that I make it there:eek: gulp) & where family can or cannot go to meet you.

Does anyone know how close family can get to the finishing area ie after the finishing line??? I was watching a few videos on youtube (getting paranoid now:D) & everyone seems to be directed down lanes where they get their medal etc,I'd imagine they then go to the tents to reclaim their bags & maybe put on some dry clothes etc so what happens from there ie non runners/family must be restricted to some point???Secondly is McGrattans outside the dead zone:eek: so family can get in as well & are they ok with kids going in. I'd like to meet up for a pint or two after & put faces on the names but I dont think the missus would be too happy if I was inside on the lash & she was walking up & down baggot st with the kids:eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

docrock wrote: »
    I dont think the missus would be too happy if I was inside on the lash & she was walking up & down baggot st with the kids:eek::eek:

try the ole:
    I fainted, and they were out of brandy, so they suggested a guinness cause its high in iron?
    excuse!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

docrock wrote: »
    Just a few questions in relation to the finishing area & McGrattans pub which someone may be able to answer.I know the area well but obviously as being a first timer I dont know what is going to happen after the finish line (on the assumption that I make it there:eek: gulp) & where family can or cannot go to meet you.

There's a map of the finish area in your race pack that you'll get at the Expo.
    The whole area is around Merrion Square. The marathon finishes by running down Nassau Street to the square, and the finish line is about level with the start of the park railings. North side of the park is the finishing area, you get your medal, top, and bag, there's the first aid tent and massage tent.
    East side of the park has some of the bag collection and a place to take photos.
    South side has more bag collection and toilets
    Those three sides are closed to spectators, it's just runners and stewards in there.
    West side of the square (museum/gallery/govt buildings) is open to spectators, so they can see the end of the race. There's a fence (with a very narrow exit!) to go through from the runners area to the spectators.
    McGrattans is in the public area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭docrock

folan wrote: »
    try the ole:
    I fainted, and they were out of brandy, so they suggested a guinness cause its high in iron?
    excuse!

LOL:D:D, the only iron that I'd be getting thrown in my direction at that stage would be the one you plug in:eek:

Advertisement