Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Republic and Northern Ireland will eventually be reunited, predicts Enda Kenny

Options
  • 13-10-2012 4:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭

From TheJournal.ie, 13th October 2012.
    by Gavan Reilly

TAOISEACH ENDA KENNY has predicted that the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland will eventually form a unified single state – though he does not anticipate it happening in the near future.

Speaking at a question-and-answer session in Cleveland, where he is promoting investment in Ireland, Kenny said he believed a unification of the two countries would happen ‘one day’.

This would require a referendum to be approved in both countries, under the terms of the Good Friday Agreement, and was not likely to happen in the near future.

Cleveland.com says he told guests: “The priority is keeping peace on the streets.”

Was Enda just playing lip-service to Americans, some of whom spent millions of dollars funding groups whose raison d'être was the reunification of Ireland? Or does he genuinely want Northern Ireland to be merged with the rest of the island?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Looks like he forgot to mention the most likely reunification scenario - the ROI rejoining the UK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

smcgiff wrote: »
    Looks like he forgot to mention the most likely reunification scenario - the ROI rejoining the UK

Not a chance. Unionism in the south is virtually non-existent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

It will happen eventually i think. But its a really long time away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I'm a Republican, and obviously this is something I aspire to see. I acknowledge however that it won't happen in the very near future. I do think it's inevitable at some point however. The economics of both states will need to improve, and cross-border co-operation will need to increase more and more, until it's united in most matters - all but in name.

I remember a Unionist poster posting on here a while back, stating that the southern state was built up to be a boogey man for him until he moved to Dublin - which eventually wiped out any negative notions he had. I think many Unionists have an unfair perception of the south, and don't understand that the majority of people have zero ill-will towards them. Unfortunately, knuckle-draggers are often see as the epitome of 'Irishness'.

More cross-community work, more respect of each other's culture and views... More cross-border operations, bodies, etc...

I wonder how long it will take for Kieth to come in under a fake name to tell us all it will never happen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I believe it will happen but it's difficult to predict when. One thing is for sure - it will have to come with a big economic dividend for the north and that is at least a generation away.

After Hours >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Yet to explain why it is more likely.

Presumably because you have no evidence...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

woodoo wrote: »
    I wonder how long it will take for Kieth to come in under a fake name to tell us all it will never happen.

Won't happen in my life time, and you spell my name Keith, not Kieth.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Given enough time an

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

thebman wrote: »
    Yet to explain why it is more likely.

Presumably because you have no evidence...

Seriously?

I agree there is little active unionism in the ROI, but there is far from enough Nationalism in NI to support reunification with the south. There is strategic voting by catholics for the SDLP and SF to better their community, but they'd run a mile if there was a vote on whether to unite with the ROI politically. Economically the ROI is in a very bad condition. NI's economy is very much supported by GB, and the vast majority in the north will not upset the apple cart.

I presume everyone interested enough in this thread are aware of the polls in the north re constitutional preferences.

Enda is a politician - he said something he thought would be popular.

I don't think the island of ireland is likely to join the uk, but north south union is even less likely. The partition of ireland is coming up to its first century - it's bedded in.

• Advertisement

What would be the point, in the end? So that the whole island can now air their complaints to the same place?

I would imagine that if the question of reunification were to come up in the future that Northern Irish people might consider themselves to be more "Northern Irish" than "Irish" and vie for independence themselves. Northern Irish nationalists, wouldn't that be a good one :)

I agree there is little active unionism in the ROI, but there is far from enough Nationalism in NI to support reunification with the south. There is strategic voting by catholics for the SDLP and SF to better their community, but they'd run a mile if there was a vote on whether to unite with the ROI politically. Economically the ROI is in a very bad condition. NI's economy is very much supported by GB, and the vast majority in the north will not upset the apple cart.

I completely understand the northern nationalists not being interested in a united Ireland at the min. We have nothing to offer them. But i think that will change someday.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,348 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Was Enda just playing lip-service to Americans, some of whom spent millions of dollars funding groups whose raison d'être was the reunification of Ireland? Or does he genuinely want Northern Ireland to be merged with the rest of the island?

Nothing story is nothing. I think most people recognise that at some stage in the (long-distant) future, Ireland will probably be re-united in some way or another. My reading of this is that Enda shares this belief, but it wasn't him saying he wanted this/etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

I live in the Republic but if I was living in the North and from a Nationalist background I would seriously have to consider my voting options if there was to be a referendum on reunification.

The Republic is going to have to pay dearly for the foreseeable future because of mismanagement of the economy so would I as a Northerner want to impose a huge financial burden on myself?

I'm not sure if it would be an easy choice to make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Always knew that Enda was a unionist.............and good night!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭househero

figures
    chughes wrote: »
    I live in the Republic but if I was living in the North and from a Nationalist background I would seriously have to consider my voting options if there was to be a referendum on reunification.

The Republic is going to have to pay dearly for the foreseeable future because of mismanagement of the economy so would I as a Northerner want to impose a huge financial burden on myself?

I'm not sure if it would be an easy choice to make.

hahahahhaHahah

Your kidding right. The UK has been bankrupt since the 50s, joker.

UK national debt 143% of GDP including all financial sector intervention (e.g. Royal Bank of Scotland, Lloyds, just like Ireland's bailout of its crap banks), the Net debt was £2311.6 billion (147.3 per cent of GDP. This is known as the unadjusted measure of public sector net debt.)

Ireland's unadjusted measure of national debt is 104% (104.8% to be exact)

Please compare apples to apples.

We need the UK gov to seriously invest in the north to boost their pay to match the rich south with large infrastructure investment, like when Hong Kong was given back. There is oil off the coast of Ireland (north) we will not let the English government 'Scotland us' and steal our oil.

The north being reunited will appear much more realistic on the back of Scotland reclaiming their independence. We will be reunited in our lifetimes. Giving the northerners more money will solve a lot of their social issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭poeticseraphim

I would not be in favour of it....we cannot offer the north what the UK can. And the rep for me is the 26 counties. And the nationalists actually want to remain i the UK by a majority. People prefer a status quo over uncertainty. It is never going to happen.

Kenny is an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,348 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Kenny is an idiot.

As far as I can tell Kenny was stating what he believes will happen at some stage, not his preference...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

history is a series of unrelated events........that have very strong affects on each other..

maybe such an event will take place, and england will dissolve the union......

i believe that the uk (england) will be out of the eu within eight years........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

I think ultimately we will see reunification, but not until we reach a point when nobody cares.
    Of course most people don't really care now and the difference in standard of living / lifestyle between Ireland and the UK is pretty minimal, so it might not be that far away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

Gurgle wrote: »
    I think ultimately we will see reunification, but not until we reach a point when nobody cares.
    Of course most people don't really care now and the difference in standard of living / lifestyle between Ireland and the UK is pretty minimal, so it might not be that far away.

well, in england at this present time.....nobody cares.

all this talk about standards of living etc......will not even enter into the equasion........

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭burgermasters

Seriously?

I presume everyone interested enough in this thread are aware of the polls in the north re constitutional preferences.

Enda is a politician - he said something he thought would be popular.

I don't think the island of ireland is likely to join the uk, but north south union is even less likely. The partition of ireland is coming up to its first century - it's bedded in.
    It may happen sooner than we all think? NI is an economic burden to GB and always has been! they were drained of cash sending troops all through the troubles because from the 50's on it became mandatory to be sent for a tour of duty in the north for british soldiers, England do not want the north or the hassle that comes with it but they wont be seen just handing it over because according to them we are terrorists and murderers witch is sad tbh but none the less the queen visiting and all that i think is the start of it, relations are on the rise between our two nations and when a lot more trust is built up? thats when it will happen;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

In your dreams.

Not a chance. Unionism in the south is virtually non-existent.

True, but by Joe, they make a hell of a lot of noise on threads like this.

househero wrote: »
    figures

hahahahhaHahah

Your kidding right. The UK has been bankrupt since the 50s, joker.

UK national debt 143% of GDP including all financial sector intervention (e.g. Royal Bank of Scotland, Lloyds, just like Ireland's bailout of its crap banks), the Net debt was £2311.6 billion (147.3 per cent of GDP. This is known as the unadjusted measure of public sector net debt.)

Ireland's unadjusted measure of national debt is 104% (104.8% to be exact)

Please compare apples to apples.

We need the UK gov to seriously invest in the north to boost their pay to match the rich south with large infrastructure investment, like when Hong Kong was given back. There is oil off the coast of Ireland (north) we will not let the English government 'Scotland us' and steal our oil.

The north being reunited will appear much more realistic on the back of Scotland reclaiming their independence. We will be reunited in our lifetimes. Giving the northerners more money will solve a lot of their social issues.

Jesus, Nordies would believe in any auld guff

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Why did the OP get a yellow card:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

newmug wrote: »
    Why did the OP get a yellow card:confused:

.....because originally they'd just added the article and made no comment themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

I would not be in favour of it....we cannot offer the north what the UK can. And the rep for me is the 26 counties. And the nationalists actually want to remain i the UK by a majority. People prefer a status quo over uncertainty. It is never going to happen.

Kenny is an idiot.

That's the dumbest thing I ever heard. 100 per cent of nationalists want a united Ireland. If someone is in favour of the union with Britain then they are not a nationalist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

That's the dumbest thing I ever heard. 100 per cent of nationalists want a united Ireland. If someone is in favour of the union with Britain then they are not a nationalist.

If I believe that 100 per cent of nationalists want a united Ireland and would vote tomorrow for a united Ireland, then I would have to believe that only about 20% of the population, North and South, are nationalists.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

People seem to be under the impression that reunification is a short-term goal. It's never a short-term thing, and shouldn't be thought of as a short-term thing. Economic issues are never long-term, so they are ultimately irrelevant. The economics of Ireland and Britain will strengthen again in time.

Reunification is a long-term goal, and would require support from both Ireland and indeed Britain to make it function, with some compromises to certain issues (Such as maintaining the ability to hold a British passport for Unionists). I don't really think being part of the Commonwealth (as often as it is suggested as a compromise) is actually something Unionists give a toss about in any meaningful way.

I could see the process working as follows.

Ireland would have two devolved parliaments. One in the north (potentially including the other 3 counties of Ulster - and one in the south.) This would ensure that Unionists would still have a say at local/regional issues, and wouldn't feel overwhelmed by the other 'side'. They could still ensure their culture and so forth is preserved and receives fair funding regionally. A national Government could have it's parliament in a generally neutral town or city. It wouldn't necessarily have to be in Dublin. The national parliament would manage issues of national security, economic issues, trade, public relations, defence, etc... All the other local/regional issues could be ironed out in the devolved parliaments.

The transition would have to be supported by Britain. Perhaps a 10 year transitional period, where both Britain and Ireland engage in dual-governance of the north and work very strongly together. Open dialogue during this period would be critically important.

So what sort of compromises could we expect to make?

Ireland and Britain could engage in a loosely-affiliated political union (Think EU-lite). Such a union might focus on trade, education, sporting games, cultural ties, and perhaps the economic stability of both nations. Common defence might also be part of the solution, but Ireland would absolutely need to maintain a neutral position with respect to war. Ireland would not be part of the UK, it would be it's own individual nation. Inter-governmental affairs would be worked out a much more efficient and fair way than the EU, but ultimately - a sort of EU-lite model as I previously mentioned could be the foundation for the political affiliation. (Notice I said affiliation, rather than union. That's critically important in order for it to work)

What would this do for Unionists? It would give them the assurance that they still maintain their cultural links with Britain, but also strengthen their links with the Irish nation.

Such a plan would need to be given seriously thought, and the specifics down to the finest detail would need to be ironed out.

Advertisement