Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12 weeks in Jail for offensive web posts about poor April Jones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

There are jokes that are an incitement to hatred and contempt, though.

Are they? I haven't seen the 'joke' but I can't imagine how a sex/child joke would incite hatred or contempt. It's just a tasteless joke from a moron.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

El Weirdo wrote: »

I don't particularly find knock-knock jokes funny, should I call plod if someone posts one on my Facebook page?

Of course you can, but it is hardly going to be a serious issue is it now. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭HeyThereDeliah

dave1982 wrote: »
    Shocked to see the Mods of Boards.ie coming out to defend this clown.

If anyone was to stay impartial I'd think it would be ye.

A young girls has been abducted and jokes are being made about a sexual nature of a 5 year old and ye think its OK?

I'm glad this asshole paid a price excessive but tough tittie for him.

About time people know hiding behind your keyboard don't work.

You are missing the point completely no one agrees with the joke but sending someone to prison for trying to be funny is OTT, what next someone on boards gets arrested for posting something offensive.
    Lets close down the Internet because if this is the way it's going we are all in trouble.
    As for the mods not being impartial why would they need to be everyone is entitled to their opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

You are missing the point completely no one agrees with the joke but sending someone to prison for trying to be funny is OTT, what next someone on boards gets arrested for posting something offensive.
    Lets close down the Internet because if this is the way it's going we are all in trouble.
    As for the mods not being impartial why would they need to be everyone is entitled to their opinion.
    Now thats OTT.

Boards itself has it's own designated forum for off colour humour for a reason, it's content may offend others. I agree sending him away was a bit heavy handed, but it seems to me he's being made an example of. If it makes fücking clowns like him think again, so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

So far so utterly predictable...

The mob get all violently riled up about a violent crime directed at a young girl and in their moral outrage start demanding that the death penalty be re-introduced, threaten death and physical violence on those who make jokes about the incident, and outline exactly how they would torture the main suspect tin the disappearance to death...and all out of their boundless compassion for little April. :rolleyes:*

(* I really hate using these guys, but sometimes the utter brainless stupidity of such a large part of the population becomes so apparent that its the best way to sum up one's feelings
    ** I'm talking about the wider online reaction, not that on this thread))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Shocked to see the Mods of Boards.ie coming out to defend this clown.

If anyone was to stay impartial I'd think it would be ye.

A young girls has been abducted and jokes are being made about a sexual nature of a 5 year old and ye think its OK?

I'm glad this asshole paid a price excessive but tough tittie for him.

About time people know hiding behind your keyboard don't work.

Imagine a parallel universe where someone on Boards made a post saying Mark Bridger should be tortured by police to get information even though he had not been found guilty of any crime.

Now imagine that poster got a knock on the door the next day from the Police and found himself arrested and charged for encouraging human rights abuse.

Pretty retarded Universe, yeah? Well it would be still less retarded than this one as calling for torture of a member of public should be more worthy of arrest than a sick joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Abi wrote:
    I agree sending him away was a bit heavy handed, but it seems to me he's being made an example of. If it makes fücking clowns like him think again, so be it.

I guess I'm just opposed to the idea of using a case like this to make an "example" for others.

It's all well and good when it's some random guy you'll never meet. What if it was your boyfriend, brother, friend, that was brought to court, sent to jail for three months, criminal record for life? Employment prospects ruined, subject to god knows what kind of abuse from the public when they get out ...

Can you honestly say that no one close to you has ever made a distasteful offensive joke? (Either on Facebook or elsewhere.) Would you honestly be OK with the idea of them being jailed for it?

Abi wrote: »
    I agree sending him away was a bit heavy handed, but it seems to me he's being made an example of. If it makes fücking clowns like him think again, so be it.

Darn tootin'! Let that be a lesson to others. Conform! or be punished!

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I think it was the sexually explicit 'jokes' rather than the 'hide and seek' jokes that got him banned.

A line exists. He crossed it.

efb wrote: »
    I think it was the sexually explicit 'jokes' rather than the 'hide and seek' jokes that got him banned.

A line exists. He crossed it.

I agree he crossed the line with the joke considering the nature of the crime but the punishment is OTT.
    He was made an example of to please the public and make the police look good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

I think it would have been better if he had been spoken to by police and locking him up was way over the top. he's obviously an idiot but I'd worry about the abuse he may get from the hate mob public. Collective insanity.

I agree he crossed the line with the joke considering the nature of the crime but the punishment is OTT.

In your opinion. What he published was an offence- he was punished accordingly

In your opinion. What he published was an offence- he was punished accordingly

It is my opinion yes.

What about all the jokes about fat people, gay people maddie jokes etc are all these the same crime ?
    Should anyone who makes a poor joke be punished ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Can you honestly say that no one close to you has ever made a distasteful offensive joke? (Either on Facebook or elsewhere.)
    I can honestly say I'm stuck for an example from anyone I know tbh. If I made a crack like that in RL, I doubt anyone would talk to me. Hiding behind a screen and being a sick bell end has to have its repercussions.

Would you honestly be OK with the idea of them being jailed for it?
    I said by my own admission I felt it was heavy handed. I believe he should have been made an example of, just not with such severity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

As sick and offensive as the joke may have been it was just that though. A joke. An idiotic attempt of being funny with a sick and tasteless joke. It is very worrying if jailing people for that is now on the table. I wonder what would happen if there was a mass posting of similar jokes in protest on Facebook. As disturbing as that sounds it could highlight how ridiculous and dangerous it is to set a precedent of arresting and jailing people over jokes of a sick nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

As sick and offensive as the joke may have been it was just that though. A joke. An idiotic attempt of being funny with a sick and tasteless joke. It is very worrying if jailing people for that is now on the table. I wonder what would happen if there was a mass posting of similar jokes in protest on Facebook. As disturbing as that sounds it could highlight how ridiculous and dangerous it is to set a precedent of arresting and jailing people over jokes of a sick nature.

i agree with you, there was a guy who posted some really sick stuff about tom daleys (gb olympic diver) dad who passed away from cancer and he got cautioned by the police over it, i don't think posting offensive stuff on facebook warrants a jail sentence, no matter how short but a word from the police to kop on should suffice imo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Of course you can, but it is hardly going to be a serious issue is it now. :rolleyes:
    So how is this case any different?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

El Weirdo summed it up perfectly for me. Sick and tasteless- yes, worthy of jailtime- absolutely not!

I think people will come to this conclusion if they step back and look at it without letting their emotions run away with themselves.

I haven't - there was nothing sexually explicit about the tweets on Ton Daley's dad- there wasn't.

People need to understand they don't have a carte blanche to write whatever they want on the Internet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Jesus what will happen to sites like sickipedia if people are getting jailed for jokes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Why? What fucking business is it of the Police that he makes bad jokes?

Surely the very subject of this thread is an example of some of the more pressing matters they should be attending to.
    I think it's more to do with protecting the angry royaled up mob aka normal people emotional upset over the missing/dead? girl, seeking an outlet for their anger, in the heat of the moment actions, after which they would regret, & another incident is the last thing the police would need at this time diverting from the investigation. (sky-reality-news would luv-it)

A jail term is way OTT, over reactionay, a night in the cell and caution with a Facebook retraction/apolpgy, but a criminal record for a silly distasteful joke.
    -
    I realise at times having a humour element to a dreadfull event is the only way of excepting to hear/converse about it, as you don't want to be dragged down by full facts. ie telling a joke about a priest in a bar is acceptable maybe frowned upon but with a smile, bringing up the straight subject of clerical abuse in a bar is a conversation stopper.

http://news.sky.com/story/994920/april-jones-man-jailed-for-offensive-web-posts

A man has been jailed for 12 weeks for making grossly offensive
    comments on his Facebook page about missing youngster April Jones.

Matthew Woods, 19, from Chorley, Lancashire, made a number of derogatory
    posts about April and missing Madeline McCann after getting the idea from
    Sickipedia - a website that "trades in sick jokes".

He also wrote comments of a sexually explicit nature about the five-year-old,
    who went missing last week from near her home in Machynlleth, mid Wales.

Chorley Magistrates' Court heard members of the public were so upset about
    his postings that they reported them to the police.

A "vigilante mob" of around 50 people later descended upon his home
    address in Eaves Lane and the defendant was arrested on Saturday night at a
    separate address for his own safety.

We condemn fanatical Muslims for reacting in a violent manner when they hear something they don't like, yet when someone posts an offensive joke on his own Facebook page, a violent mob descend on his house to cause him harm. And then, rather than deal with the people who sought to harm him, we imprison him for the crime of making comments that cause us offence. Muslim extremists would admire those principles alright...

People need to understand they don't have a carte blanche to write whatever they want on the Internet.

We don't? Why not? Because it might hurt your feelings?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Good

I have no idea what the joke was and don't agree with it but neither do I agree with taking people to court over posts on Internet sites.
    I think a talking to from the police would be enough.

It shouldn't even take up police time.

It's never too soon for jokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

hardCopy wrote: »
    Good

I have no idea what the joke was and don't agree with it but neither do I agree with taking people to court over posts on Internet sites.
    I think a talking to from the police would be enough.

It shouldn't even take up police time.

It's never too soon for jokes.

Nice

And you would mind if your little girl was missing and some twat decides to post a highly offensive sexually explicit 'joke' about her? Come off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

What would you think about somebody posting sexually explicit or violent things that they would like to do to the suspect? Should they be locked up?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I think people get very precious about certain subjects. I bet most of us here have in our time laughed at a joke that was in bad taste. Its not like he posted the joke on the main Find April FB page, it was his own page and presumably no one connected to April would have ever known about it only for someone reporting him. Making a big deal of it just makes it worse.

lukesmom wrote: »
    Nice

And you would mind if your little girl was missing and some twat decides to post a highly offensive sexually explicit 'joke' about her? Come off it.

Of course he'd mind (unless he really is evil...). The point he is making (I think) is that there are people who are going to make insensitive jokes and timing doesn't even come into for them. Having the police deal with such "crimes" (cause the jail sentence implies bad jokes are crime now) is a waste of their time. Also, the jail sentence is way OTT and only serves to justify the mob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Crazy stuff.
    Billy Connolly made a joke about the guy beheaded in Iraq and got rebuked for it, but stayed free from prison and a criminal record. Jimmy Carr frequently flirts with the boundaries of taste yet remains free. But a young lad, who maybe should have known better, is in jail???
    Scary stuff, the futile desire to control the internet is bringing the fascists out of the woodwork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Shinaynay

For me , this has everything to do with the high profile nature of the case- same goes for Tom Daley.
    Off topic, but I remember reading about an Irish Olympian whose phone got nicked and there was about 4 guards assigned to finding it!! For fcuksake!!

Advertisement