Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Darlings going crazy on bus

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

....ages of these maggots ? I'm guessing teenage virgin boys excited at the prospect of seeing a freshly shorn sheep. One girl on the bus and they would have attempted mildly good behaviour.

Other than that it was overpaid bankers on the escape from the missus equally excited by the prospect of sheep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

MadsL wrote: »
    Why?

Bringing education outside the classroom, and for the p1ss up:pac:

although as far as I understand it wasn't the school which organised it

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Boombastic wrote: »
    Bringing education outside the classroom, and for the p1ss up:pac:

although as far as I understand it wasn't the school which organised it

Then where was the education? How to f**k s**t up 101?

I'm assuming this was transition year, but between 'trips' and 'videos' it seems ignored by schools as a waiting period until "little darlings" are mature enough to do the Leaving. Where was the eduction in spending 4 hours on a bus? Dumping ground more like.

Having this class be volunteer stewards at the Ploughing Championship with a bit of responsibility would have been far more educational.

Then where was the education? How to f**k s**t up 101?

I'm assuming this was transition year, but between 'trips' and 'videos' it seems ignored by schools as a waiting period until "little darlings" are mature enough to do the Leaving. Where was the eduction in spending 4 hours on a bus? Dumping ground more like.

Having this class be volunteer stewards at the Ploughing Championship with a bit of responsibility would have been far more educational.

I didn't plan it:mad:

But you're right they should have been doing something more productive and with adult supervision

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Sorry, let me get this straight. Instead of getting an education, teenagers are allowed out on a day's drinking unsupervised and parents and the school are fine with this?

Wtf?

The more I learn about transition year, the more I can't help thinking it is a colossal waste of time.

Who said the school or TY has anything to do with this? Who said the school is fine with this?

The parents allowed their kids to attend the ploughing. That's all that link says.

• Advertisement

Who said the school or TY has anything to do with this? Who said the school is fine with this?

The parents allowed their kids to attend the ploughing. That's all that link says.

I'd happily take a bet that this is TY.

I'd happily take a bet that this is TY.

And if it is, what has this got to do with the school? This was not a school trip.

Ploughing match 25-27 September
    Tuesday - Thursday

Regardless of they year they should have been in school and the parents should have more cop on

Ploughing match 25-27 September
    Tuesday - Thursday

Regardless of they year they should have been in school and the parents should have more cop on

I completely agree - but the implication that it's the school's fault is ridiculous, based on the information available.

And if it is, what has this got to do with the school? This was not a school trip.

Wasn't it in school hours? On a Wednesday?
    edit: Do you not think the school would have a duty of care to ensure that it was a properly organised event.
    Hey Principal, can we have a day off for a p1ss up on Wednesday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

How can you have a ploughing match?

I completely agree - but the implication that it's the school's fault is ridiculous, based on the information available.

Stop the bus! Where did I say it was the schools fault?

@phasers - straightness and consistency of the depth of the drill

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

@phasers - straightness and consistency of the depth of the drill
    Sounds riveting

(That may or may not be a pun)

Wasn't it in school hours? On a Wednesday?
    edit: Do you not think the school would have a duty of care to ensure that it was a properly organised event.
    Hey Principal, can we have a day off for a p1ss up on Wednesday?

Who said the school gave them a day off? The link makes no reference to the school having any involvement.

I was speaking about MadsL's comments.

Who said the school gave them a day off? The link makes no reference to the school having any involvement.

Are you saying they were all mitching? Seriously. Of course the school knew about the trip.

Are you saying they were all mitching? Seriously. Of course the school knew about the trip.

It is not "mitching" if their parents give them permission.

Whether the school knew or not is irrelevant if the parents gave permission and it was not a school trip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

phasers wrote: »
    Sounds riveting

(That may or may not be a pun)
    Rotavating. Different thing altogether.

It is not "mitching" if their parents give them permission.

Whether the school knew or not is irrelevant if the parents gave permission and it was not a school trip.

Parents have a legal obligation to inform the school if their child will be absent.
    Responsibilities and duties of parents
    Under the Education Welfare Act 2000 parents must inform the school if their children will be absent from school on a school day and the reason for the absence, for example, illness. It is best to do this in writing
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/primary_and_post_primary_education/attendance_and_discipline_in_schools/school_attendance.html

Of course the school sanctioned this.

Parents have a legal obligation to inform the school if their child will be absent.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/primary_and_post_primary_education/attendance_and_discipline_in_schools/school_attendance.html

Of course the school sanctioned this.

Just because parents have a legal obligation does not mean they do it. Most parents send in a note after the event to explain the absence.

There is no "of course" about it. You are making assumptions. I find it much more likely that some parents simply decided to allow their kids have a day off to attend the ploughing. It happens every day that parents allow kids off for all sorts of events. Bringing kids to the ploughing and allowing older teens to attend the ploughing is very common in certain parts. You may not agree with it but does happen and it is nothing to do with the school.

Just because parents have a legal obligation does not mean they do it. Most parents send in a note after the event to explain the absence.

There is no "of course" about it. You are making assumptions. I find it much more likely that some parents simply decided to allow their kids have a day off to attend the ploughing. It happens every day that parents allow kids off for all sorts of events. Bringing kids to the ploughing and allowing older teens to attend the ploughing is very common in certain parts. You may not agree with it but does happen and it is nothing to do with the school.

Surely the school would have noticed if 40+ students didn't turn up to class and thought to themselves, something is afoot, we might just call some of the parents to see what is going on

• Advertisement

A large contingent of pupils will be absent on a given day and the school is not told of the plans? Sure.

You seem very keen to defend the school.

Surely the school would have noticed if 40+ students didn't turn up to class and thought to themselves, something is afoot, we might just call some of the parents to see what is going on

And if they phoned and were told the kids were at the ploughing, then what? Parents can and do allow their kids to miss school all the time. The school can do nothing unless it reaches a certain number of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Bobsammy

It's quite possible they did. But at that stage the kids are already gone. Very little the school can do.

A large contingent of pupils will be absent on a given day and the school is not told of the plans? Sure.

You seem very keen to defend the school.

You seem very keen to blame the school.

Even if the school is told of the plans, what do you think they can do? Parents are the primary educators of their children and they are entitled to make such decisions.

I think it was said that the parents should be held accountable from the first post, no need for all the teachers to be getting defensive.

I think it was said that the parents should be held accountable from the first post, no need for all the teachers to be getting defensive.

Disagreeing and discussing the issue is not "getting defensive".

There have been other posts than the OPs - can we not engage with those posters too?

There have been other posts than the OPs - can we not engage with those posters too?

:rolleyes:

What would you disagree with about what I have said?

In summary

1. It is likely the school were informed in advance as to the trip
    2. There is a duty on the school to ensure the trip was supervised
    3. If it goes badly then the school has a measure of responsibility for allowing pupils out of school without adequate supervision.

What would you disagree with about what I have said?

In summary

1. It is likely the school were informed in advance as to the trip
    2. There is a duty on the school to ensure the trip was supervised
    3. If it goes badly then the school has a measure of responsibility for allowing pupils out of school without adequate supervision.

Yes, I disagree.

1. I think it is unlikely the school were informed in advance.
    2. There is not a duty of care to ensure supervision of a trip organised by parents, independently of the school.
    3. The school has not, according to the given information, allowed pupils out of school.

If the trip is organised by the school and the students were unsupervised then the principal should lose their job.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Maggie 2

I Am Kong! wrote: »
    Whoever told the driver he had to collect the scumbags needs to grow a pair and his superiors should sack him.
    He didn't. It was another bus company.

Advertisement