Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a used car in Ireland guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Lofty0990

Need to purchase second vechile for bogger (farm) situation - just wondering which is most bullet proof van/ commerical if steady driven . In the old days it would have been a jeep or crew cab . Nowadays its most likely berlingo or such like . Many thanks .

P.S.

3 k budget

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

For fieldsbuse or what?

No a good runner ,pref diesel , pull a small trailer etc.

From what ive heard the berlingo 1.9's are heavy enough on diesel.

A lot of farmers etc. use them so its probably your best bet.

Many thanks . BTW what are these yokes like in comparison to the afore mentioned.

tp://www.donedeal.ie/find/commercials/for-sale/Ireland/somers?source=all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 whytisme

Lm,

(I feel like I'm abusing the privilege, but here goes.)

I'm looking at estates.

What do you think about a 2008 Peugeot 307 1.6 (€6,000)? I hear they could give trouble (I suppose they all can):

http://www.adverts.ie/car/peugeot/307-sw/2008-peugeot-307-sw-for-sale/1681241

Alternative I saw is a 2007 Ford Focus LX 1.6 WAGON (€6,950), but it's automatic, so not sure if I'd go with non-standard transmission:

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Ford/Focus/LX-1.6-W/201225208797597/advert?channel=CARS

Whytis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Hyundai...t?channel=CARS

I see how this works now, sorry I opened a new thread...

Can anyone advise on the above car, I feel it's a tad overpriced and I'm simply looking for a motor to act as a runaround and let the lad learn to drive in.

Budget would be around 1200-1500

Tks

Lofty0990 wrote: »
    Many thanks . BTW what are these yokes like in comparison to the afore mentioned.

tp://www.donedeal.ie/find/commercials/for-sale/Ireland/somers?source=all

The 1.8's are a good engine.
    whytisme wrote: »
    Lm,

(I feel like I'm abusing the privilege, but here goes.)

I'm looking at estates.

What do you think about a 2008 Peugeot 307 1.6 (€6,000)? I hear they could give trouble (I suppose they all can):

http://www.adverts.ie/car/peugeot/307-sw/2008-peugeot-307-sw-for-sale/1681241

Alternative I saw is a 2007 Ford Focus LX 1.6 WAGON (€6,950), but it's automatic, so not sure if I'd go with non-standard transmission:

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Ford/Focus/LX-1.6-W/201225208797597/advert?channel=CARS

Whytis.

Surely you would get a higher spec 307 estate for that money? I know it has a para roof but alloys at least? Same for the Focus. If you're looking at 08 and petrol make sure they're not on a dear tax bracket!

Edit: I thought that 307 was 8,000. 6k for a 08 car isn't bad money.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 whytisme

Edit: I thought that 307 was 8,000. 6k for a 08 car isn't bad money.

Yup, it's €6k. It has 88,000 KM (not miles as the ad says). It changed ownership one year ago, which might make me slightly worried :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Typically how long does it take to find the right car ? I'm looking nearly a month now and haven't had any luck at all.

Reasons are the following:

Seller will only deal in a car park. Came across this a few times. Not comfortable with this.

Seller says that the car can't be viewed till tomorrow afternoon but they have already sold it before tomorrow even comes. Would be the fourth time this has happened.

And of the cars I've went to see already they have been absolute ****e. So bad money hasn't even been discussed.

Other reason are the usual overpriced ads on Donedeal. Some people really think that there ''clean'' Fiesta with over 90k, never had a T/B done are still worth over 1500. :rolleyes:

This the norm ?

• Advertisement

See that's the thing.

Good cars are priced as so.

Bad cars are priced as so.

People think "Ohh cars are worth nothing these days" when the reality of it is there's a lot of **** out on the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 JTormey

Hiya. I am looking to buy an estate as we need a bigger car. Something size wise like a soda Octavian estate. Can budget up to 4000 euro at a push. Want something reliable and would like it to be cheap to run and fix if needed.
    We only drive on weekends generally, and may do one big trip each year down to south of France or Cornwall.

Any recommendations?

Just hsaw a Renault megane estate for 4000 but don't know about these cars. Any thoughts? Or recommendations for other cars?

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Renault/Megane/SPORT-TO/29813444337084820/advert?channel=CARS

Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Gman21

Hi I'm taking a look at this 206 van tomorrow anything to look out for in particular. Are 206's reliable. http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/commercials/3633798
    It's 1.9d

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

Gman21 wrote: »
    Hi I'm taking a look at this 206 van tomorrow anything to look out for in particular. Are 206's reliable. http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/commercials/3633798
    It's 1.9d

Such a big engine for a small car not really needed.
    They have a 1.4 diesel be better.

Not a huge fan of peugeot myself but their diesel engines are great

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

See that's the thing.

Good cars are priced as so.

Bad cars are priced as so.

People think "Ohh cars are worth nothing these days" when the reality of it is there's a lot of **** out on the market.

+1 .......so true

Gman21 wrote: »
    It's 1.9d

Did you look at it?

206's are a simple car, anything that goes wrong with them is normally easy fix, and parts are plentiful due to tonnes of them being around.

Not familiar with the 1.9D in those, I'd presume it's some version of the Partner/Berlingo engine.

I'd also assume it's non turbo which would probably be horrendous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Gman21

Ya went for a look at it yesterday. Nice car very clean. I didn't trust the owner one bit though ended up going for another wagon.

Citreon xsara 1.9d hatchback.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭madcabbage

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Newcastlewest

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3886836

Hi limerick man any advice for this car please , going to check out tomorrow but no idea about cars . Thank you before hand.

Both of those cars look decent lads.

The Focus is English so more than likely seen high miles on good roads so as long as cartepl checks out I'd be happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Sorry to bring it back up about the Seat but is the asking price for that car too much? Is there somewhere where I can check the approx value of this car or any car for that matter?

Firstly use the likea of carzone and donedeal ti compare prices.

Then compare the cars them selves, mileage, conditions history etc. etc.

Remember buying from a Dealer is generally better as you'll have some sort of comeback and the car will have been pre inspected and readied for sale in most cases.

Leons are a nice looking, decent car and because of that, good ones seem to be demanding a premium. Look at the car, try sort out a price you're happy with and go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

I cannot decide between a 2008 BMW 320d coupe with 68k on the clock or a 2008 BMW 520d saloon with 92k. They're the same price and both have teh spec I want, and I'm hoping to try them both out on Saturday. I'm leaning towards the coupe but only for the mileage (and I'm hoping that 2 doors won't be a hindrance at any point - I have no kids). But which is going to give me more bang for my buck (ie cost less to run and be less potential trouble down the road)*

* and while you're at it, could you give me the numbers for the lotto - I know this is a dumb question to ask, but in theory?

Same engine similar enough car size i'd imagine the mpg difference wouldn't me more than your driving style.
    After that it's your own choice!

Same engine similar enough car size i'd imagine the mpg difference wouldn't me more than your driving style.
    After that it's your own choice!

Limerick man, is that in reply to my post? The 320d and the 520d are the same engine?

Both of them 150bhp plus diesels (Not sure if they're the exact same engine/turbo) set up i'm sure a google would show this.

Eitherway they're both going to produce similar mpg.

Both of them 150bhp plus diesels (Not sure if they're the exact same engine/turbo) set up i'm sure a google would show this.

Eitherway they're both going to produce similar mpg.

Thanks, you're right (of course), I had assumed the 520 would be more powerful. I think as you say I'll just drive them both and toss a coin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭jprboy

I'm looking at a car which is in very good condition but will shortly need new tyres and a service.

Apart from any other reduction I can haggle, I assume I can at the very least expect the cost of a service and new tyres to be taken off the asking price?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,015 ✭✭✭✭Esel

jprboy wrote: »
    I'm looking at a car which is in very good condition but will shortly need new tyres and a service.

Apart from any other reduction I can haggle, I assume I can at the very least expect the cost of a service and new tyres to be taken off the asking price?
    You can try to use it in bargaining, but the seller could say he/she has already priced the car taking this into account.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 eurochamps

Good post, remember to be wary of the classified advert sites, mentioning no names...............
    always cartell check the car your buying, they have the DVLA data base too.

Advertisement