Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

ThisRegard wrote: »
    When my wife was pregnant and we went for the usual check ups in the hospital, TV3 was left on in the waiting room all day. And as our appointment was usually first thing in the morning we had to sit through that crap. It was more depressing than just sitting around looking at a blank wall.

My dentist ditched the waiting-room TV in response to customer preference...

Oh, and if I'm in a waiting room with a TV I'll usually switch it off (given half a chance).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Was undergoing a minor procedure in Mount Carmel a few years ago and was half doped waiting to go, but Sky News was on in the hospital room I, and two or three others, were in. There was no remote and I couldn't get out of bed to knock the tv off. Imagine lying there listening to the same bull**** news stories over and over for 4 or 5 hours, despite asking for it to be switched off several times after going through a 24 fast with your procedure delayed by a further few hours, and the best most desirable thing in the world to you at that time being a Mars bar.

I think the other patients were in with mental health issues as they seemed to be enthralled with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I tell ye, it made us feel like we were the best couple in the world after a couple of episodes of that. I think couples counselling should involved a marathon session of Kyle and at the end each person will think, hang on a minute, my bird/bloke is actually not that bad at all.

Problem solved.

If they come out at the end still not sure of whether their other half is actually a bird or a bloke, then I think further counselling of some form might be required. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Lads..for any of you Star Trek fans...

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/f05...L&CJID=2617611

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Repeat after me.......

480230_432966350078273_1147906659_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭le petit braquet

Commemorative glove for Roche's "triple crown in 87" - can only find one :(

[picture.php?albumid=2249&pictureid=13969

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

Thought I was going to puke 3 times during a spin today....haven't puked during exercise since my last pre-season of rugby training! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

colm_gti wrote: »
    Thought I was going to puke 3 times during a spin today....

Don't worry, you'll get there. Just try harder next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Good week this week. Did 50km with two climbs of Howth in 1:39:55 - a full five (count 'em) seconds inside my long term target and 3 mins faster than ever before. Today I finally managed to get from my house over howth and back in under an hour (59:14) for the first time. yaaaaay for me!

New long term targets now under construction......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭marketty

Went out for my first spin in 4 months yesterday (been out of the country and missed the 'summer' ). Was enjoying trying out the €200 worth of new gear I'd just got delivered from wiggle, while at the same time thinking I should have bought that feckin garmin while I was at it. Noticed that my trusty cateye seemed to be on the blink, most likely the battery, and was fiddling with it on the move when it popped off the bars hit the front wheel and disappeared over a high hedge.
    Suppose that settles it so, garmin time!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭usheeeen

marketty wrote: »
    was fiddling with it on the move when it popped off the bars hit the front wheel and disappeared over a high hedge.
    Suppose that settles it so, garmin time!

You sure you didn't throw it?
    Anyway, my offtopic tidbit is that my dad sold a golfing gps watch to michele ferrari this week.

Helmet Sensor Contacts Emergency Contact

"ICEdot have recently collaborated with SenseTech LLC to develop an innovative helmet-mounted impact sensor. The plain, yellow slim device that resembles a sticker, is mounted to a riders helmet and uses motion and impact sensors to detect if the rider has had an accident and fallen. It will then alert their nominated emergency contact."

......obviously if you smash your phone in the impact you're goosed!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

I've decided all commuter cyclists must be eradicated. The fact that this includes me is unfortunate, but unavoidable.

This morning I encountered "woman who cycles into 5yr old school children", "man surprised by car going through green light", "man who swerves in front of others", and my personal favourite, "man who is just popping onto the footpath to get past this light/corner, and then will hop back down without expecting anyone else to be on the road".

Each breaking a red light (or avoiding it). But I'm sure they'd say they were doing it safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

buffalo wrote: »
    I've decided all commuter cyclists must be eradicated. The fact that this includes me is unfortunate, but unavoidable.
    And I encountered the man to do the job.
    The nice bus driver who insisted on edging into the advanced stop line area that was so bemused by me pointing at his mirror centimetres from my head.
    His response : look you not allowed in driving here this road for driving.

buffalo wrote:
    I've decided all commuter cyclists must be eradicated.

I second this (guy who broke a red light at his T junction without even bothering to look and pulled right out in front of me, guy on the bike this morning overtaking a stopped LUAS towards oncoming traffic with a child in his rear childseat, guy a few days ago who weaved around lollipop lady who was doing her job and trying to stop traffic while kids were crossing, woman who cycled directly across LUAS tracks in front of a moving LUAS on her side of the road and then just stopped directly in front of me on my side, I'm thinking of ye amongst others).

However, I'd go one step further and eradicate *all* commuters. It seems like the only way to stop people like the driver who while waiting at a red light at a large crossroads decided that he couldn't wait any longer and drove straight through two sets of green pedestrian lights (skimming past a couple of cyclists that were breaking red lights on the intersecting road and weaving between crossing pedestrians, funnily enough), the woman this morning who tried to turn right across me at another crossroads and when I caught her attention she simply continued to drive straight at me but turned her head to look elsewhere and missed me by no more than a couple of feet, the pedestrians on Westland Row this who insisted on walking on the cycle lane straight towards me and expected me to pull out and magically create a space in moving traffic to clear a path for them.

It has been an annoying week. I am very annoyed. I'm packing my angry face for the commute home later.

Bit of forebearance and patience.......

just like the swallows, the bears and the squirrels, yon POBSOs will hibernate for the winter. You can already see their numbers declining.

Squeaky mountain bikes will be thrown into sheds, GAA shirts and shorts returned to the bottom of the wardrobe and the crinkle of hi-viz will not be heard for much longer.

at least until next spring!

Jawgap wrote:
    Bit of forebearance and patience.......

My forebearance and patience are wearing their Doc Martens today, boots that are not made for walking, or diplomacy.

l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

Doozerie and buffalo - the Batman and Robin of the cycling criminal underworld. You guys paint a grim picture of the daily commute. I must be cycling in the wrong places.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

thought the same yesterday woman on here time trial bike and cervelo kit along the canal at the crossroads of rathmines, outraged when another fan and cyclist went thru the crossing on the yellow light, but light was red for her.

• Advertisement

@oflahero, In fairness my commute is usually okay. I certainly regularly see ignorant behaviour but usually it either doesn't directly impinge on me or doesn't end up with anyone else being hurt - that doesn't excuse the behaviour, but incidents like those don't linger in the mind as much. I just happen to have either witnessed or been subjected to some particularly ignorant incidents in quick succession recently and stuff gets annoying very quickly in those circsumstances.

'Tis enough to make a person dust off the all-in-one lycra suit and the silly hat with the bat ears! My lycra suit has a chamois incidentally, 'cos I'm Practical Batman, not Kinky Eyesore Batman.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

doozerie wrote: »
    @oflahero, In fairness my commute is usually okay. I certainly regularly see ignorant behaviour but usually it either doesn't directly impinge on me or doesn't end up with anyone else being hurt - that doesn't excuse the behaviour, but incidents like those don't linger in the mind as much. I just happen to have either witnessed or been subjected to some particularly ignorant incidents in quick succession recently and stuff gets annoying very quickly in those circsumstances.

'Tis enough to make a person dust off the all-in-one lycra suit and the silly hat with the bat ears! My lycra suit has a chamois incidentally, 'cos I'm Practical Batman, not Kinky Eyesore Batman.

id also point out for every incident of poor cycling theirs a few of poor driving, no matter the method of transport someone is taking risks on their commute somewhere

manafana wrote:
    id also point out for every incident of poor cycling theirs a few of poor driving, no matter the method of transport someone is taking risks on their commute somewhere

I thought I'd made that very point by broadening buffalo's plea out to the eradication of *all* commuters. (Note to self: sometimes I'm just too subtle, must try to be more extreme :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭-K2-

manafana wrote: »

...which easily doubled in frequency on the 3rd September when compared to the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

oflahero wrote: »
    Doozerie and buffalo - the Batman and Robin of the cycling criminal underworld. You guys paint a grim picture of the daily commute. I must be cycling in the wrong places.

It'd be fine if my cape didn't keep getting caught in my wheel, preventing me from dishing out vigilante justice.

The tights are good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,023 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

buffalo wrote: »
    It'd be fine if my cape didn't keep getting caught in my wheel, preventing me from dishing out vigilante justice.

No capes!

Capes get a bad press. Even Edna Mode, in her cape hatred, happily overlooked the fact that Mr Incredible and family wore their underpants outside their "trousers". 'Tis like dismissing someone else's gaudy cycling jersey while un-selfconsciously standing around in red cycling shorts. ...or worse still, white cycling shorts on a wet day :eek:

So, give capes a break, and focus instead on the proudly flaunted underpants! ...hmm, but maybe in a less creepy manner than that suggests.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,961 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

More and more motorcycles being allowed into the bicyle park in Drury Street. Four there this morning including that large Aprilla which is always in the way. :(

At least that Rav 4 seems to be gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

First world problems are funny to read.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

On the subject of communting.
    I have started to commute at least once a week for the next few weeks*.
    I came across my first commuter race the other day.
    I decided to take the long way home and was tottering up a long incline when I was seamlessy passed by a guy in full cycleways kit.
    'Bloody A1's' I thought.
    Too tired too chase but still happily tipping away I caught a fella in runners and with a little bit of headwind I stayed a decent distance behind but enough to get a little bit of shelter.
    When he realised someone was behind him he went full gas and caught the cyleways lad.
    The cycleways lad went his own way but the runners guy stayed at full pelt. He went thru lights but I caught back up with him.This seemed to irritate him immensly and he went even faster and he caught another guy in runners then went his own way.
    I went past the second guy in runners and was happily tapping away when suddenly runners No.2 came flying past me.
    Yippee , thinks me, more shelter.Its great to have a string of domestiques to help me home.
    He then slowed and I went past again.Repeat this once more till he was gone.
    Tapping away happily came across another one about 10km from home.
    He sat in my wheel all the way ,which wasnt a prob, but decided that for the last 3km or so before my turn but the road is crappy so decided to put the hammer down (God bless those few kms at the back of the airport on a sat morn) and dropped him till I slowed up for my turn when he came pelting past.
    Is commuting always as much fun?
    And if any of the runners guys are reading this ...... BUY SOME PROER EFFFING SHOES AND PEDALS

*Considering my commute involves me falling outta bed @ 4.15 to be on the bike for 4.45 to be on work for 5.45 to be ready for work for 6 and spend the next 8-10 hrs on my feet then cycle the 30kms back home once or twice a week is plenty*

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement