Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Diabetes] General Chat and Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

I think they cost about €140 if you want to buy one but you get them free when you do this course so it may be worth while looking into doing one. Everybody on my course is a type 1 though so I am not sure if they allow type 2's to do it. I dont see why not though if you are on insulin.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I think they cost about €140 if you want to buy one but you get them free when you do this course so it may be worth while looking into doing one. Everybody on my course is a type 1 though so I am not sure if they allow type 2's to do it. I dont see why not though if you are on insulin.

Where did you do the course?

Letterkenny. I am in today for the final day so I will get the name then. We leave all our stuff in there at night so I just dont have anything with the name on it here. It is driving me mad because I know the name but just cant think of it.

The BERGER Programme!

Here is a document that lists the various programes such as BERGER, DESMOND etc. There is a contact email for people looking for info about the BERGER program on page 10.
    I would really advise looking into it, I have only completed the course today but it has given me a new outlook on my diabetes already. According to this I am no longer restricted to certain foods and having to sit and watch family and friends tucking into whatever they want. I can now join them and just adjust my insulin to suit. Time will tell but I am very hopeful and excited about the next few months.

http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/Publications/topics/Diabetes/diabetesstructureded.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

I know it is a different story for Type 1's as most have had it since childhood and missed out on lots of enjoyable things other kids and adults could enjoy but I think a cure for type 2 diabetes would just let all the people who work hard at living as healthy a lifestyle as possible slip back into all their old bad eating habits and ultimately lead them to an earlier grave than diabetes will bring them. As a Type 1.5/LADA diabetic only diagnosed 3 years ago I know that if a sudden cure came about I would drift, slowly at first but fairly soon I would be back on the fresh cream chocolate sundays in Tesco's, supersize portions and all the other crap I used to fill my mouth and stomach with. I hope to live longer with diabetes than I would have if I carried on with my previous lifestyle so I for one hope they dont find a cure.Not an outright cure anyway, maybe ease the effects it has on my body a bit.
    If they can find a cure for childrens Type 1 then go for it, I'm all behind that.
    A am a type 1 who has had it since childhood (well, if the age of 10 counts) - I have never had issues with being too heavy and I eat what I want but just balance it with insulin - yes, life would be easier if I did not have it but there are far worse things (I have survived some of them). I tend to have issues with lows as I try to keep my HbA1c (old terms) below 5.8 in case I become pregnant again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

I'll be doing my Leaving cert next year and all the rest associated with that, and like many of the courses the one I want to do has risen hugely this year and I don't reckon I'll get the points needed now however I heard that Type 1's can apply to the DARE scheme and get in on reduced points, does anyone have experience in doing this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

but I think a cure for type 2 diabetes would just let all the people who work hard at living as healthy a lifestyle as possible slip back into all their old bad eating habits and ultimately lead them to an earlier grave than diabetes will bring them. As a Type 1.5/LADA diabetic only diagnosed 3 years ago I know that if a sudden cure came about I would drift, slowly at first but fairly soon I would be back on the fresh cream chocolate sundays in Tesco's, supersize portions and all the other crap I used to fill my mouth and stomach with. I hope to live longer with diabetes than I would have if I carried on with my previous lifestyle so I for one hope they dont find a cure.Not an outright cure anyway, maybe ease the effects it has on my body a bit.
    According to this I am no longer restricted to certain foods and having to sit and watch family and friends tucking into whatever they want. I can now join them and just adjust my insulin to suit. Time will tell but I am very hopeful and excited about the next few months.
    ...hmm:P

I can not talk, I am eating a chocolate mouse now but I watch my blood sugars and do not eat too much (I can not but that is another issue)

Give me this few days of happiness, I know I still have all the associated risks that come with diabetes but at least I can join in on the odd occasion.
    In defence of my point about a cure for diabetes, in the last two nights I have had a large bag of crisps, an Indian takeaway, nan bread and a bag on Bombay mix. I said I would slip gradually back into bad habits, it has only taken 2 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Immelman

Give me this few days of happiness, I know I still have all the associated risks that come with diabetes but at least I can join in on the odd occasion.
    In defence of my point about a cure for diabetes, in the last two nights I have had a large bag of crisps, an Indian takeaway, nan bread and a bag on Bombay mix. I said I would slip gradually back into bad habits, it has only taken 2 days.

Dose Adjustment For Normal Eating - Apologies to Blackedelweiss. BTW AS A Type 1 recommended no bread or wheat based product due to massive spikes just check out wheat belly. Since Xmas 1 stone down substituted Heineken for Bulmers light ( 5 pint bottle BL equivalent to 1 pint heineken for me personally insulin wise) and removed all bread there is no difference between brown and white oth equally as bad, HB1Ac 6.1 very happy and daily insulin requirements well down. Again apologies to Blackedelweiss not reading post correctly, forum should be split by moderators into type 1 and type 2 forum

Immelman wrote: »

Dose Adjustment For Normal Eating - I am absolutely appalled that you are on this course btw 5 days and you cannot even get the name of the course right

If I had done the Dafne course your pointless post might have meant something. Go back a few posts and see what I am talking about before making stupid points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Immelman wrote: »

Dose Adjustment For Normal Eating - Apologies to Blackedelweiss. BTW AS A Type 1 recommended no bread or wheat based product due to massive spikes just check out wheat belly. Since Xmas 1 stone down substituted Heineken for Bulmers light ( 5 pint bottle BL equivalent to 1 pint heineken for me personally insulin wise) and removed all bread there is no difference between brown and white oth equally as bad, HB1Ac 6.1 very happy and daily insulin requirements well down. Again apologies to Blackedelweiss not reading post correctly, forum should be split by moderators into type 1 and type 2 forum

The users of the forum don't want the forum split

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

I'll be doing my Leaving cert next year and all the rest associated with that, and like many of the courses the one I want to do has risen hugely this year and I don't reckon I'll get the points needed now however I heard that Type 1's can apply to the DARE scheme and get in on reduced points, does anyone have experience in doing this?

I've no experience of it but there is some reference to diabetes on the website here: http://www.accesscollege.ie/dare/TopTipsCommonMistakes.php
    As far as I know though, DARE applications get done before the main CAO ones so it might be too late for this year.
    Edited to say, i see you're doing the leaving next years so you should be fine with deadlines.

I'm really shocked actually, diabetes is not a disability and as a diabetic, I object to it being listed under this scheme!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

BC wrote: »
    I've no experience of it but there is some reference to diabetes on the website here: http://www.accesscollege.ie/dare/TopTipsCommonMistakes.php
    As far as I know though, DARE applications get done before the main CAO ones so it might be too late for this year.
    Edited to say, i see you're doing the leaving next years so you should be fine with deadlines.

I'm really shocked actually, diabetes is not a disability and as a diabetic, I object to it being listed under this scheme!

Oh I agree really but I'm taking advantage of this if it's available, every little helps and all that ;)

BC wrote: »

I am not sure exactly why diabetes is on that scheme but I would think that maybe it is not because as diabetics we have a disability and this hampers our life and makes everything more difficulty like most of the illnesses on that list do.
    I would say it refers to the disruptions to class, homework and study time brought on by hypos in a Type 1 diabetic. I have just finished 5 years in college and was diagnosed after 3 years. I did find that I was struggling with the effects of diabetes at times, sitting in class wondering if the strange feeling is a hypo or just a strange feeling when I should have been listening to the lecturer. Then if it did become a hypo having to take something for it or if I dident remember to bring anything with me for some reason trying to work out where to get something, whether to wait till the class is over or just get up and walk out without explaining to the lecturer where I am going. I also found that if a hypo snuck up on me while studying for exams it completely knocked the studying on the head for at least an hour, it was pointless trying to concentrate after having one.
    I can imaging that a relatively newly diagnosed diabetic or even someone diagnosed before their teens could struggle trying to deal with all the associated pressures of secondary school and having diabetes. Purely for time lost in classroom concentration and studying hours I would say that maybe diabetics should come under this scheme.
    I would draw the line if they were giving out parking passes etc but I think this is fair enough.

As an update to this post and my earlier response and also to respond to the thanks to this post by immelman who now seems to be out to insult me for some reason I will list my food consumption since last Thursday when I got my new meter.

Thursday: Indian take away, rice, nan bread, tesco indian snack selection, bombay mix.
    Friday: Dinner, large bag of crisps.
    Saturday: Indian take away no.2, rice, samosa, nan bread, more bombay mix.
    Sunday: Pizza, Chocolate cake, birthday cake, madeira sponge cake, custard, fudge, large bad of Doritos.

My breakfasts and lunches have been alright but it the dinner time and late night snacks that have gone mental. Some of it was experimenting with the meter and different foods to see if my blood would come in on target, which it did but some of it was just pure gluttony (Sunday) but I did pay for all that with wildly erratic but mostly high readings all night. That is partly down to being in work and not being able to take my insulin while throwing back cakes.

I have proved my own point to myself without even thinking about it until this post came up. If I were cured of my diabetes I would be straight back to my old habits and would probably die of heart disease or some other gluttony associated illness.

Diabetes is my friend, an annoying, domineering one at times but without him I'd be fcuked! If I could just kick the stupid fags completely I would be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭beachbabe

Hope some of you can help. I had borderline gestational diabetes during my 1st pregnancy and was on a diabetic diet as a precaution. I am pregnant again and have to go see the dietician next week, I am sure they will reccomend the diet again.
    I found some nice recipies online last time, but would like reccomendations for a cookbook. I have a 2 yr old and work full time so quick easy recipies would be ideal. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭graflynn

beachbabe wrote: »
    Hope some of you can help. I had borderline gestational diabetes during my 1st pregnancy and was on a diabetic diet as a precaution. I am pregnant again and have to go see the dietician next week, I am sure they will reccomend the diet again.
    I found some nice recipies online last time, but would like reccomendations for a cookbook. I have a 2 yr old and work full time so quick easy recipies would be ideal. Thanks.

Hi Beachbabe, I've had T1 for almost 20 years and have always been disappointed in the diabetic cookbooks. I just eat low-fat, low salt, high fibre and control the carbohydrate portions of what ever I fancy.

Most of you blood sugar rises come from carbohydrate and if you could do some research into a system of carbohydrate counting that would work for you that would help you some, I think.

Sorry I couldn't help with the cookbook!

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭ManAboutCouch

Hi All,

I feel like a bit of an imposter here as I don't have diabetes myself, but my son was diagnosed with Type 1 in January when he was 4. He's 5 now and has just started school.

His blood glucose numbers have been consistently inconsistent. Even the consultants in Crumlin are a bit puzzled. One day he'll be 4.5 before dinner and the next he'll be 18, with no major changes in diet, insulin intake or exercise. I think he's still in the 'honeymoon' period so is producing some insulin himself, I'm not sure how much longer this will last, but it's probably having an impact.

That said, we're paying very close attention to his carb intake now, everything he eats gets weighed to the nearest gram and the carb content calculated so that he gets pretty much the same amount at the same time each day, and that seems to have calmed the swings down a bit. Starting school is throwing a bit of a spanner in the works though, as his mealtimes are changing.

His most recent HbA1c was 6.5, I think he was 8.5 in January, so that's quite good, apparently. We're injecting him twice a day at the moment, but hope to get a pump at some point, I've heard that these are usually a godsend, for parents as much as for the diabetic themselves.

Anyway, hello to you all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Hi All,

I feel like a bit of an imposter here as I don't have diabetes myself, but my son was diagnosed with Type 1 in January when he was 4. He's 5 now and has just started school.

His blood glucose numbers have been consistently inconsistent. Even the consultants in Crumlin are a bit puzzled. One day he'll be 4.5 before dinner and the next he'll be 18, with no major changes in diet, insulin intake or exercise. I think he's still in the 'honeymoon' period so is producing some insulin himself, I'm not sure how much longer this will last, but it's probably having an impact.

That said, we're paying very close attention to his carb intake now, everything he eats gets weighed to the nearest gram and the carb content calculated so that he gets pretty much the same amount at the same time each day, and that seems to have calmed the swings down a bit. Starting school is throwing a bit of a spanner in the works though, as his mealtimes are changing.

His most recent HbA1c was 6.5, I think he was 8.5 in January, so that's quite good, apparently. We're injecting him twice a day at the moment, but hope to get a pump at some point, I've heard that these are usually a godsend, for parents as much as for the diabetic themselves.

Hey MAC - sorry your son had to join the club, but delighted you found us. How's it been going?

Hi All,

I was a lot older than your son when I was diagnosed at the ripe old age of 10 but I had a honeymoon period for about a year and then was on regular amounts of insulin, the lenght of this period can vary person to person.

I find the fact that I have had it most of my life makes it easier (I am 38 now). I have never wanted the pump, the pens are great for me. Best wishes.

My diabetic nurse told me that they are trying to make pumps mandatory for all newly diagnosed kids now.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭ElBarco

My diabetic nurse told me that they are trying to make pumps mandatory for all newly diagnosed kids now.

I had heard that there was a new agreement that any t1 5 and under would qualify for a pump automatically. Can't say I disagree with it. "Mandatory" might be a bit strong though.

I have been offered to go down the pump route several times but as I have had it since I was 10 I would feel that I could never get away from it, though I suppose that you never do but it is like breathing at this stage for me. Myabe it would be better for young children but I am not sure how other children would react and children can be very cruel.

If they combined it with a continous smart glucose monitor I would consider it...

tbh wrote: »
    Hey MAC - sorry your son had to join the club, but delighted you found us. How's it been going?

Thanks. It's been ok. Some stressful moments, and the management takes up a fair bit of time and is the main topic of conversation these days (not to my son, I hasten to add - we're trying to keep things as 'normal' as possible for him)

I know it will get easier with time and as he gets older, so that's the light at the end of the tunnel, along with the fact that the rest of the family are eating a bit healthier as a result.

I think there is a 'target' to get a certain percentage of young children onto pumps within 18 months of diagnosis.

We were told that our son wouldn't really be a candidate for a pump for another 6-9 months (perhaps until the 'honeymoon' is over?) but that might change. I know they're pretty expensive, and the HSE is, of course, strapped for cash.

CathyMoran wrote: »
    ..If they combined it with a continous smart glucose monitor I would consider it...

We had a continuous blood glucose monitor for a few days and it was a real eye opener - watching the graph move up and down in response to food, insulin, exercise etc.

I think the 'closed-loop' of insulin pump + continuous monitor is the holy grail all right, but my understanding is that the technology is quite there yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Just reading New Scientist yesterday and the were talking about new research which indicates Alzheimers could be caused by a type of diabetes which affects the brain. Its like type 2 diabetes but just affecting the brain cells:eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭graflynn

We had a continuous blood glucose monitor for a few days and it was a real eye opener - watching the graph move up and down in response to food, insulin, exercise etc.

I think the 'closed-loop' of insulin pump + continuous monitor is the holy grail all right, but my understanding is that the technology is quite there yet.

The "closed-loop" system is known as the Artificial Pancreas. Clinical trials have happened outside of the hospital setting. Check out http://www.jdrf.org.uk/ for more information.

Advertisement