Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chronicles of a fish: the days of surf and turf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

OMG!!!!! 18 on the dreadmill.....KUDOS woman

Enjoy the swim clinic

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Well done, I ran 16 on the treadmill before and I nearly lost the will to live!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Well done, I ran 16 on the treadmill before and I nearly lost the will to live!

Not something I ever look to do again, but to be honest it was probably better than some of those crazy runs in the heat that have left me feeling nauseated and totally wasted. And I love the feeling of having this run already in the books before the weekend has even begun! :)

Open Water Swim Clinic

I thought this would be a small affair - one where just a handful of locals doing the tri for the first time would sign up to see what all the fuss was about. Wrong! It was packed with all sorts of people of varying degrees of athletic looks, ability and experience. And most of them had traveled from the DC area to attend this swim clinic. The clinic actually was a tri clinic, but you had the option of either doing the entire course with instruction or just the swim section - I opted for just the swim section to practice sighting.

Got there early to check in, then after a 20 minute discussion about panic and dark water and how to breath and sight and start and finish, we all headed down to the lake to swim at our own pace for as long as we wanted for about 90 minutes or so. I spotted a local gal I know who had signed up for this event but is not doing it because she's been ill, however, she wanted to get some OW experience in since she's never swam in OW and she figured today would be a perfect opportunity to do so. She started in the water ahead of me so I watched her for a bit. She would swim several strokes out, then swim several stokes back to shore - out and then back, and I could tell her breathing was a bit stressed. She did this about three or four times when I finally realized that she mentally couldn't get past the obstacles of OW swimming. I went over to her and we had a chat. She knew it was all mental and was ready to give up but really wanted to at least swim to the first buoy. I told her that I would swim with her and we'd go as slow as she wanted, that we'd stop as often as she wanted, and that I'd be right there with her watching her at all times. She agreed to give it a go. Long story short, we did it. It took a good while to get to that first buoy, and we held onto the side of a boat when we got there, but she did it. :) Swimming back to shore seemed to go a bit faster and she was able to stay more relaxed, but I think she was glad to finally get back to shore and have that swim under her belt.

After that warm up, I headed off on my own to swim the course three times at a nice steady pace. I practiced breathing, sighting, getting into a rhythm, going around other swimmers (especially at the buoys) and finishing with a good kick. I'm always reminded in open water how much you need upper body strength and how much a wall in a pool gives you a break. I was definitely fatigued after that swim, but I felt good. I'm very glad I attended this clinic - I think I came away with some good experience and strategy....and it was such a pleasure to meet some super athletes and to have the opportunity to chat with them before, during and after the swim. What a great warmup for next weekend!! :D

Approximately 2700 meters.

Tri Course Bike Ride

Last ride of the course before the big day....and hubby and I were out there plugging away at 6:30 this morning. Gorgeous morning, and a bit cool actually, but perfect conditions for what we had set out to do.

The ride, in a nutshell, was good. I took advantage of places where I could gain time (flats and downhills), and I stayed relaxed in places where I suffer (hills). I forgot to practice drinking while cycling, but I'll just play that by ear on race day anyway. I forgot my Garmin, but hubby had his......

17.35 miles in 1:05:22 for an average pace of 15.94 mph....which is the fastest pace I've been able to maintain on this course. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Some great training going on there Dory. You are SO ready for this triathlon!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Very nice 18 mile session there. I like the idea of breaking up the run. I use five mile markers myself as I can always persuade myself with "comm'n it's only 5 miles". 18 miles on a threadmill will do wonders for the mental toughness.

Intervals

Barely made it out of work today to get this one done over lunch....but I scurried home and wasted no time hopping on the treadie with my cheat sheet of distances and paces. NBC was showing re-plays of the women's water polo (thought of you Griffin ;)) and the women's swimming events -YAY!! I've been so spoiled the past two weeks that I wondered how I was going to get on with this session having to watch politics and world news, so I was totally delighted to see those big gals in high cut bathing suits and bonnets on their heads when I turned on the tv.

Session was fine...kept the body relaxed even though my breathing was crazy at times. Fortunately for me, by the time I hit the hard sets of this session swimming was on....so I played this game where I would not allow myself to look at the treadmill display showing how far I had gone until that particular race was over. I try not to constantly look at the display because I am always disappointed in how little distance I have traveled, so I make up things like this to keep me from looking. The first event was the 400 IM....perfect!!! The second event was the 4 x 100 free relay....perfect again!!! Then 100 fly followed by 100 breast then 200 free....and so on. You get the picture.

Any way, here's what I did....

1 mile easy at 10 min/mile
    1 mile at 7:04 min/mile, .25 mile recovery
    1 mile at 7:04 min/mile, .5 mile recovery
    .5 mile at 6:40 min/mile, .25 mile recovery
    .5 mile at 6:40 min/mile
    1 mile easy

Total of 6 miles in 54:50.

Swim

After a nice lie down on the hot bricks that make up the deck of the pool (I consider this my hot-brick therapy) and almost falling asleep because the bricks felt so good and the evening was (and still is) so spectacularly lovely, I swam a relaxing 2k in steady but easy fashion.

2 x (400 free, 400 pull, 200 breast)

The nights are getting cooler here, which does make me wonder how much the lake temp will drop by Sunday. Days are still hot in the 90s, so that's in my favor in that regard, and because the water was 81 on Saturday I am hoping it won't drop below 78, thus allowing wetsuits at the tri. I don't plan on wearing a wetsuit even if water temp is below 78, and I'd prefer the playing field to be level and not give an advantage to those in a full-body floatation device.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

18 miles on a treadmill :eek:
    shoot me now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Very best of luck DD in the tri this weekend, tee it up and knock it down the fairway. Also 18miles on the threadmill...wowzers.

Trainer

Tonight was supposed to be the quality swim/bike session that is a killer of a workout, but Mother Nature had other plans in mind when she roused up the angry storm gods and had them unleash their fury all over my training calendar. Boo hiss. I had hoped to get the swim/bike session in tonight, five days out from the tri, but it looks like I'll have to consider getting this session done on Thursday, and because it will only be three days out from the tri I may shorten that Thursday session a wee bit.

But tonight the substitution session was a spin on the trainer while watching political news. This is an election year here in the States so there's lots of juicy spitting and clawing going on - sort of like white collar Olympics. But I digress....20 miles in total....first 15 were at a big gear, last 5 were spinning and grinning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Trainer
    but it looks like I'll have to consider getting this session done on Thursday, and because it will only be three days out from the tri I may shorten that Thursday session a wee bit.

might be worth just swimming Thurs instead, with the running you've been doing you're plenty fit for this tri at the weekend. Little point in doing your best work on Thurs and not on Sunday eh ;)

interested wrote: »
    might be worth just swimming Thurs instead, with the running you've been doing you're plenty fit for this tri at the weekend. Little point in doing your best work on Thurs and not on Sunday eh ;)

You don't have to tell me twice! ;)

Have you an event this weekend yourself?

You don't have to tell me twice! ;)

Have you an event this weekend yourself?

Not really, another Did Nothing Fatal up north here involving a swim and a bike. Really hoping our current weather keeps up so the swim bit is fun. <its stormy>

Not really, another Did Nothing Fatal up north here involving a swim and a bike. Really hoping our current weather keeps up so the swim bit is fun. <its stormy>

You doing the half or whole?

You doing the half or whole?

2/3 of the half, the full starts waaaaaaay too early ;)

2/3 of the half, the full starts waaaaaaay too early ;)

HA!! :) Well, best to you!!!!

When I get to T2 I should still have a couple of minutes on a mate of mine who's doing his first tin man. I intend to be settled on a deck chair at the turnaround awaiting delivery from these guys.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Dominoes+Pizza&ll=54.65654,-5.67529&spn=0.021474,0.066047&sll=54.65654,-5.67529&sspn=0.021474,0.066047&near=Bangor,+North+Down,+UK&geocode=CeAmS_GQbQjqFRz-QQMd5map_ymreGGoRnVhSDGcVopbvQm8iQ&hq=Dominoes+Pizza&t=m&z=15&iwloc=A

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

When I get to T2 I should still have a couple of minutes on a mate of mine who's doing his first tin man. I intend to be settled on a deck chair at the turnaround awaiting delivery from these guys.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Dominoes+Pizza&ll=54.65654,-5.67529&spn=0.021474,0.066047&sll=54.65654,-5.67529&sspn=0.021474,0.066047&near=Bangor,+North+Down,+UK&geocode=CeAmS_GQbQjqFRz-QQMd5map_ymreGGoRnVhSDGcVopbvQm8iQ&hq=Dominoes+Pizza&t=m&z=15&iwloc=A

Delivery from Dominos? Can't imagine who that could be for........

• Advertisement

Brilliant!!! :D;)

Treadmill Tempo

Sneaky lunchtime trot on the treadie - wasn't too bad of a session but I am always surprised at how much effort these tempos take. Simple session, no cheat sheet requried, so without any further ado, here it is....

4 miles tempo at 7:48 min/mile

6 miles total in 51 minutes for an average pace of 8:30 min/mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Very, very best of luck on Sunday DD
    I'm predicting a podium place for you as you've put in some amazing training.
    Enjoy every minute of it!

I'll be taking part in an endurance event myself on Sunday... I'm heading off into the wilderness to go camping with some pals and all our kids:D... If you get a chance text me when you're tucking into your celebratory drink?

Marthastew wrote: »
    Very, very best of luck on Sunday DD
    I'm predicting a podium place for you as you've put in some amazing training.
    Enjoy every minute of it!

I'll be taking part in an endurance event myself on Sunday... I'm heading off into the wilderness to go camping with some pals and all our kids:D... If you get a chance text me when you're tucking into your celebratory drink?

Thanks Marthastew!! The podium finish may be a bit out of my grasp this year due to the bike (significant improvements in that regard are already on my to-do list ;)), but we'll see. I just want to complete the race without any crashes or blown tires - I'll be very happy to get my first tri under my belt and learn from the mistakes I'm bound to make.

Have fun on your wilderness adventure, and I will be sure to send you a text after I know my final result. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Best of luck at the weekend DD
    Have a blast!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

good luck with the tri dory, you'll do great

Thanks Emer and Trig. I'm excited and clueless all at the same time. This maiden tri voyage will be a huge learning experience for me. :)

Swim

A bit of tragedy tonight - :eek: - my favorite pair of pink goggles busted in two tonight as I was putting them on. Crap! The plastic on the goggles broke right at the nose piece, so there's no fixing that. Double crap! Thank goodness I am not planning on wearing these on Sunday, but they were my backup pair for the race. !!!!! I certainly have other pairs of goggles, but I really don't like any of them for various and assorted reasons so I will hope and pray I don't have any issues like BTH did at one of his races. :mad: But, all is not lost where the pink goggles are concerned - like the card carrying organ donor, I will harvest any working parts for future tragedies in hopes of breathing life back into any fallen goggles. :)

Swim tonight was lovely. A steady 2,000 yard swim followed by a nice 200 yard breast stoke to stretch out the legs from the earlier-in-the-day run for a total 2,200 yards.

Horrible dream last night - dreamt that I was at the triathlon and the weather was horrid - rain, crazy wind and a tornado we could see just to the west of us. I also forgot my number belt so I had to borrow one from Oryx (yes, Oryx you were there) but I made sure the number belt I borrowed was black so it would go well with my trisuit :o....and then I discovered I had forgotten to fill up my water bottles. The dream never made it to the start of the race, so I haven't a clue how it ends.....

Cool and rainy the last few days so temps are dropping like crazy here, so goes the lake. I'm going with the idea that a cooler lake will make me swim faster. ;) The event is almost totally full - 750 athletes on Saturday (totally full), and 690 athletes on Sunday. 60 spots remain for Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Horrible dream last night - dreamt that I was at the triathlon and the weather was horrid - rain, crazy wind and a tornado we could see just to the west of us. I also forgot my number belt so I had to borrow one from Oryx (yes, Oryx you were there) but I made sure the number belt I borrowed was black so it would go well with my trisuit :o....and then I discovered I had forgotten to fill up my water bottles. The dream never made it to the start of the race, so I haven't a clue how it ends.....
    That's a really good sign, your brain is sorting what is needed for the race prep, and permuting what can go wrong. Better in your dreams than on race day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Good to see you are finally doing a tri to make use of all those crazy S/B/R stats!

The very best of luck and enjoy it - you only do your first one once:)

Advertisement