Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bog defeats Shell drilling machine.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

JupiterKid wrote: »
    It just goes to show that many, if not most, of our country local roads are poorly built and will need new foundations and re-laying.
    Indeed. We are feckin inundated with 160 ton tunneling machines round here, Kildare co.co need to up their game. So, are we gonna update them all now, or just the most used ones? They can't fix the potholes genius, they're hardly going to dig them all up and start from scratch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Thing is, how close could one of those monsters actually get?

Without becoming stuck...

Emmm...Doesn't Mayo have a coast? Why does it need to come by land at all?

Now, whose going to pay for fixing the roads?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,230 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Doom wrote: »
    I'm shocked to see that many Gardai up there, in some of the pictures on The Journal web site, pity they're bosses didn't think some peoples lives where that important by properly preventing crime in the likes of Dublin and Limerick

You're actually saying that the Gardai should be out catching criminals? You should tell a garda that next time you meet one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Forget those tiddlers, try one of these monsters. One is plenty, especially if that's all you could get close enough to the site.

Its a 96 tn crane with a 202 tn counter weight, send that to get the thing out and all of Mayo will ****ing sink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Boombastic wrote: »
    Emmm...Doesn't Mayo have a coast? Why does it need to come by land at all?

The rescue crane will need a long reach so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    The rescue crane will need a long reach so.

:D I only copped after I posted that you were on about the crane, I was on about transporting the drill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

You have a point then: why wasn't the original load transported by sea?

Personally I have no idea of the set-up in Rossport, so I don't know what would be feasible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

If these trucks are blocking a public road then surely the Gardai will have to give them a ticket no?

Aren't they obliged to uphold the law of the land?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 262 ✭✭pcworldisajoke

Cienciano wrote: »
    You're actually saying that the Gardai should be out catching criminals? You should tell a garda that next time you meet one.

he has a great point.

The amount of crime in Dublin is unreal. Two freinds of mine were assalted recently and robbed- serious assaults like. One didnt go to the hospital cos it was a saturday night- he had to fight for 2 weeks to get someone to take a statement. The other had to go down and do a survey of cctv possible captures, when he heard nothing for 2 weeks, and they said they didnt know if there was any CCTV in the area. half the guards don't care anymore (really dont care, and who can blame them - i know one, and he has given up) and half of them are snowed under.

I live near Phibsboro in cabra, and i swear to christ, there's burglaries every day. Drug deals openly happening on the hump over the road into cabra. Scum of the earth cycling down ulster street and the windy roads up there on bikes trying to snatch purses and phones out of people's hands.

Listen to Joe ( for all his faults, he performs a service) on liveline this week, and listen to the amount of crime that is happening in this country. lsiten to the rural garda stations that are being shut. And now witness the amount of garda resources we are giving to an oil company that has proven itself to be an environmental satan, and purely driven by greed and profit - currently en route to destroy the arctic, and already admitting it cant meet the EPA standards, and spill response standards, and yet is still pushing ahead. And then pause....

To all you fools with your contrarian bullsh*t attitudes, and drillbabydrill muppetry, you haven't a clue. Our nation, is a corrupt cesspool. This whole shell situation wouldn't need policing if we had only got a fair deal. Any other country in the world would have had the BALLS to change this deal, to hell with the implications; none would have blamed us.

'Dear world, we're upping our percentage of the Shell deal because it's ours, and the previous deal means the Irish people don't get anything for whatever reason. If a country standing up for what is fair, and demonstrating the intelligence to broker a fair deal is not what you're looking for, then f*ck off somewhere else"

I guarantee not ONE company would decide to not invest here if we changed the deal and made it fair.

We're a f*cking joke of a nation, im ashamed to be Irish, and every politician in this country that sits idly by and doesnt attempt to redress thsi situation is traitorous treasonous scum- and i'll gladly say that to their faces.

Ashamed to be Irish I am, with the sick, and deprived in this country, and we haven't the balls to take a piece of what's ours. Ashamed to be Irish. joke of a nation. Scumlot of politicians looking after each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

irish-stew wrote: »
    Could she just not drill her self out?

:pac:

no, no drill up stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

later12 wrote: »
    It's possible that they are paid by Shell I think. I know the Gardai who work inside the gates at concerts are paid by concert organisers.

I don't have a great amount of sympathy with the Shell to Sea protesters, but I must admit I did enjoy this story. Something about the idea of mother nature being on the side of the underdog, perhaps.

It's a bit like England and football clubs, the clubs pay for police presence that shouldn't really be necessary.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

@pcworldisajoke

Been like that since the inception of the state and its time for reform.

'Dear world, we're upping our percentage of the Shell deal because it's ours, and the previous deal means the Irish people don't get anything for whatever reason. If a country standing up for what is fair, and demonstrating the intelligence to broker a fair deal is not what you're looking for, then f*ck off somewhere else"

I guarantee not ONE company would decide to not invest here if we changed the deal and made it fair.

You personally guarantee it?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Wouldn't matter if Shel do pay the cops, they are divirted away from other duties
    I'm guessing this happened due to the nutters @ S2S.

K-9 wrote: »

don't be daft. That goes for the two muppets that thanked you for that post more than you. I mean, what kind of a f*cking gobsh*te says thanks for something so meaningless (probably the same kind of muppet that says thanks to shell for bribing some Irish politicians and stealing our natural resources). I pity the fools.

don't be daft. That goes for the two muppets that thanked you for that post more than you. I mean, what kind of a f*cking gobsh*te says thanks for something so meaningless (probably the same kind of muppet that says thanks to shell for bribing some Irish politicians and stealing our natural resources). I pity the fools.

So what do you base us taking over our resources on?

Shell to Sea, Kinsale and an Independent newspapers company?

I mean why would you trust O'Reilly, the multi-national company with a track record of exaggerating Irelands resources? Why believe O'Reilly now, who Shell to Sea railed against for their agenda before??

Why would Shell to Sea swallow O'Reilly's agenda? O'Reilly needs hyped up values of Irish resources. Independent Newspapers provide the hyped up values and Shell to Sea and others swallow them.

If I was a conspiracy theorist, my mind would be racing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Can I be Waldorf?

I like him more than Statler.

Oh, almost forgot.
    I support any company that creates jobs and investment.

Why would Shell to Sea swallow O'Reilly's agenda? O'Reilly needs hyped up values of Irish resources. Independent Newspapers provide the hyped up values and Shell to Sea and others swallow them.

If I was a conspiracy theorist, my mind would be racing!

I don't really care about o Reilly dude.

it's black and white;

They're our resources, Shell should get a fair amount for investing in the field and we should get a fair amount also. As it is, we get nothing, and it's simply corruption and political inaction due to various motives, that we haven't renegotiated this deal.

Take all the rest of the boll0x out of it, and you're left with that concise notion. Fair is fair. And it's not like we don't need the money.

I really couldn't see any right thinking international commentator (ft, the economist etc.) omitting the simple fact that we were getting nothing from this deal from a strangely struck agreement many years ago. Some might even say it's about time we stood up for ourselves. Either way, no international investor and jobs bringer would look down on what would be an intelligent and forward thinking move for the country, whether they say so publicly or not. Everyone knows how shell are raping us. We're a laughing stock behind boardroom doors i reckon. Old paddy, what a fool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Sharrow wrote: »

That was a grand film,

So, do we watch it again and then call him or call him first ?

Ah sure, we'll watch it again :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

hardly 'in' the bog. here's a crappy photo of it as of 9pm tonight - best i could do hanging out the window of the car as we passed with an IRMS security guy waving the camera away...

7695062770_7c7837ca2a_z.jpg

and as i understand the plan was for the crane that arrived at around 6pm today to lift the front section of the trailer, so the cab could be freed and moved forward/out of the road. the crane would then pull the trailer forward and round the corner, they'd re-attach the cab and be on their merry way down to the aughoose site. the whole 'rescue' is now technically 'contracted' out to roadbridge - roebridge - rowbridge? someone else can google how to spell that :rolleyes:

only problem is the crane arrived on scene unaccompanied by any lead vehicles or anything so a protester was able to block the road with his van and another one climbed on top of the crane. they then sent a teleporter out from the terminal site to try and get up to the roof of the crane cab and get yer man down. but... not learning from past mistakes.... this was also sent down the road unaccompanied... we were stuck behind it on the way home. the gardai were out in front, standing round.... and... well, just watching while a protester casually walked up to it and climbed on top of it. that was around 10pm and he didn't look as if he had any intention of coming down. :P

7695168884_f406c33fa0_z.jpg

the security guys around the trucks are much happier today - this canteen trailer arrived last night

7695190726_0fc4798c8e.jpg

these guys didn't seem to like the rain though :D

7695190508_614856f63e.jpg

edit - gaaaah!!! how do i embed the images now that the little insert image thingy is gone - i used these tags [IMG][/IMG]...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Where To wrote: »
    I support any company that creates jobs and investment.

Any company? Regardless of what they produce or how they produce it?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

F*ck Shell. Absolutely despise this vile "company" in every possible way, and a lot of it has nothing to do with S2S (I despised them long before any of thie Corrib crap started). Anything which makes life difficult for them is to be celebrated in my view.

I'm not normally one to adopt "The enemy of my enemy is my friend" but I'll make a rare exception for shell. Hope they rot.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/2726278/Huntingdon-protesters-target-Shell.html

We can debate about the ethics of animal testing all you like, but one thing I'm sure everyone will agree with is that if animals must be tested, they should be treated humanely whilst in captivity and held in sanitary conditions. The behavior of that Huntington place is beyond vile, and anyone who pours money into such a company is morally bankrupt.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

I don't really care about o Reilly dude.

it's black and white;

They're our resources, Shell should get a fair amount for investing in the field and we should get a fair amount also. As it is, we get nothing, and it's simply corruption and political inaction due to various motives, that we haven't renegotiated this deal.

Take all the rest of the boll0x out of it, and you're left with that concise notion. Fair is fair. And it's not like we don't need the money.

I really couldn't see any right thinking international commentator (ft, the economist etc.) omitting the simple fact that we were getting nothing from this deal from a strangely struck agreement many years ago. Some might even say it's about time we stood up for ourselves. Either way, no international investor and jobs bringer would look down on what would be an intelligent and forward thinking move for the country, whether they say so publicly or not. Everyone knows how shell are raping us. We're a laughing stock behind boardroom doors i reckon. Old paddy, what a fool.

What choice do we have? Look at what happens to countries who evict foreign multinationals and harvest their own national resources:

Iraq
    Iran
    Libya
    Venezuela
    Bolivia
    Guatamala

They are either attacked, destroyed and occupied or that threat is constantly looming. Think it wouldn't happen?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

What choice do we have? Look at what happens to countries who evict foreign multinationals and harvest their own national resources:

Iraq
    Iran
    Libya
    Venezuela
    Bolivia
    Guatamala

They are either attacked, destroyed and occupied or that threat is constantly looming. Think it wouldn't happen?

Erm - you're forgetting Norway who adopted this model 40 years ago when they began extracting their huge North Sea oil reserves with great success.

Iraq
    Iran
    Libya
    Venezuela
    Bolivia
    Guatamala

we wouldnt be evicting anyone, we'd be renegotiating a fair deal.

And Chavez is doing pretty well fair play to him in Venezuela. The US won't use nukes on him, and the military he has built up means theyll think more than twice about f*cking with him.

As i said though,im just talking about our politicians growing some balls and doing what , internationally, will be only be viewed as reasonable, despite the public face some bought and sold politicians and media in other countries may put on it publicly.

Nobody, anywhere could realistically have a valid argument about us demanding a better deal.

But it wont happen, and im afraid the only reason I can think of that our current crop wont do anything about it, is because a) theyve been bought and sold and had a nice lump put in an offshore numbered account, or B) because they dont want to jeopardise the juicy consulting positions they might get after they help the rape of the country and the people- similar to what bertie got with the Swiss consortium after silencing the Coillte resources reports and taking them out of the Freedom of information act's remit.

We live in a disgusting fetid cesspool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

And Chavez is doing pretty well fair play to him in Venezuela.

We live in a disgusting fetid cesspool.

We're not keeping you here if it's so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Iraq
    Iran
    Libya
    Venezuela
    Bolivia
    Guatamala

What happened here in Ireland happened in Norway and Russia. Shell made deals for areas which they claimed had no viability. A few years later thanks to 'technological advanced' the areas Shell bought turned out to be fields of natural resources.

Both the governments of Norway and Russia then stepped in and told them they had to renegotiate, else they would be booted from the country. Neither Norway nor Russia have yet to be invaded.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭dissed doc

I dislike the thought of private enterprise paying the Gardaí to do security even more than I would dislike the bill coming out of the taxpayer's pocket. Do they have their full garda super powers when engaged privately or do they become common or garden security?

What's the problem?

Public security policing is a mess as everyone knows, so it's private sector efficiency that we are now getting.

Advertisement