Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bog defeats Shell drilling machine.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Any update on why the truck jack knifed ?

It's not like the number of incidents of bridge strikes didn't increase ten fold a few years ago. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

seamus wrote: »
    If you didn't have a big camp of foreign crusties threatening to incite violence and vandalism, the Garda presence wouldn't be necessary.

Don't complain about the Gardai, complain about the scumbags - they're the reason the Gardai are there.

In any case, I actually can't see any Gardai in the main image on the site...
    Couldn't agree more, and what are these crusties living on? No doubt SW!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

They can claim back expenses against tax on profits down the line anyway, so either way we pay.

Wouldn't matter if Shel do pay the cops, they are divirted away from other duties

They have a Duty to keep the peace, Shell are wholley lawfully engaging in business, the Gardai are required because of the actions of those illegally attempting to prevent Shell going about their business.
    If you want to balme anyone for the amount of garda man hour used up, blame the Shell to Sea nutcases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Is this is where the truck is stuck?

If so, did the driver take a wrong turn? Seems like a ridiculously small road for such a load to be travelling on.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 262 ✭✭pcworldisajoke

This whole shell situation makes me ashamed to be Irish. Our own cops beating up our own people and working for an international corporation hell bent on destroying the planet for pure profit. Whatever about who is causing what, these people are protesting for something they believe in.

I have no faith in our democratic process, nor our political leaders who were bent and corrupt to let this awful deal happen in the first place- numbered offshore bank accounts nicely filled when this deal was struck im sure. They are traitors and should be done for treason. We're a joke of a nation.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I have no faith in our democratic process,
    so what do you suggest replacing it with ?

also if you don't vote you have no right to complain about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

This whole shell situation makes me ashamed to be Irish. Our own cops beating up our own people and working for an international corporation hell bent on destroying the planet for pure profit. Whatever about who is causing what, these people are protesting for something they believe in.

The Garda are preventing people breaking the law. It doesn't matter what their nationality is, you can't expect the Garda to allow it

Shell are not hell bent on destroying the planet for pure profit. Knowing a few lads who work for them, I can only go on their experiences

The people may be protesting for something they believe in, doesn't make it right though if their actions are illegal
    I have no faith in our democratic process, nor our political leaders who were bent and corrupt to let this awful deal happen in the first place- numbered offshore bank accounts nicely filled when this deal was struck im sure. They are traitors and should be done for treason. We're a joke of a nation.

I too have little faith in our politicians, however can you give any examples in which a Government has achieved much more from a similar field? Given the likelihood of finding gas which would be financially viable to extract, the deal was sound

Seems to me that you don't really know much about the oil and gas industries, but you've heard people say things about it, and fancy yourself as a bit of hippy so jumped on the bandwagon

so what do you suggest replacing it with ?

also if you don't vote you have no right to complain about it.

what kind of a fool infers that I don't vote, because I have no faith in it?

and what kind of a fool infers that I have no right to complain about it if I don't participate?

So I have no right to complain about, let's say, protesters being beaten up because I don't p[articipate in the protests?

Your logic is a mess, seek help.

LiamoSail wrote: »
    The Garda are preventing people breaking the law. It doesn't matter what their nationality is, you can't expect the Garda to allow it

Shell are not hell bent on destroying the planet for pure profit. Knowing a few lads who work for them, I can only go on their experiences

The people may be protesting for something they believe in, doesn't make it right though if their actions are illegal

I too have little faith in our politicians, however can you give any examples in which a Government has achieved much more from a similar field? Given the likelihood of finding gas which would be financially viable to extract, the deal was sound

Seems to me that you don't really know much about the oil and gas industries, but you've heard people say things about it, and fancy yourself as a bit of hippy so jumped on the bandwagon

i dont fancy myself as a bit of a hippy pal. I work in a scion of the industry actually. you're a presumptuous sort aren't you?

oh god, the more I think about it, i'm bailing out before I get sucked in, you people are pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

i dont fancy myself as a bit of a hippy pal. I work in a scion of the industry actually. you're a presumptuous sort aren't you?

oh god, the more I think about it, i'm bailing out before I get sucked in, you people are pathetic.

Run along then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Good to see the art of debate is alive and well

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Bastard foreign companies coming over here, paying into our economy..

yeah because were going to get the majority of the proffits from the gass? we'l get nothing because the cycle of politicians bailing out their cronies will continue and they will need that money.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Sharrow wrote: »

Looks like it sank back out of the bog, then. :rolleyes:

Urban75 and facebook are not sources ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

Hope it sinks to the bottom :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Finaly, a thread about cranes!

God, I love cranes so I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Is this is where the truck is stuck?

If so, did the driver take a wrong turn? Seems like a ridiculously small road for such a load to be travelling on.

That's actually not a bad road compared to some other ones here..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

if you don't vote you have no right to complain about it.

actually yes you do. its not illegal. if i don't vote on something and i want to complain about it later on i can and i will no problem.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

I'm shocked to see that many Gardai up there, in some of the pictures on The Journal web site, pity they're bosses didn't think some peoples lives where that important by properly preventing crime in the likes of Dublin and Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Re: cranes not able to lift more tham 160t :pac::pac::pac:

If you dont trust one, use two ;)

http://www.irishcranehire.com/2009/crane_item.php?crane=7

http://www.irishcranehire.com/2009/crane_item.php?crane=9

Forget those tiddlers, try one of these monsters. One is plenty, especially if that's all you could get close enough to the site.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Considering the machinery value being moved, the chances are that it is practically irreplaceable without losing years, the extreme size, you have to wonder, what numpty was put in charge of planning the route, and did the driver stray off it? If that was the planned route, PPPLPPP lads. Blushes all round.
    Problem is not getting a strong enough crane, I'd say the issue is siting a crane like that - unlikly the road would be wide or strong enough and a pad would need to be built. They need a me, cos if that was my tbm, i'd use the routeplanner and driver as jackstays for the crane and their flutes as flyjibs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

You can see pretty clearly in one of the "road widening" videos that the road collapsed on the turn, there is a broken white centre line with the jagged edge of the torn road two feet away from it.

And the fact that the now parked trailer has sunk so badly into the road shows the quality of the foundation for that particular section.

I think its fair to say its not particularly the route planners fault for that and I can't blame the driver for saying he won't go any further. A jackknifed trailer with that weight and even a small drop could send that truck flying.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Halloran springs

Pottler wrote: »
    Problem is not getting a strong enough crane, I'd say the issue is siting a crane like that - unlikly the road would be wide or strong enough and a pad would need to be built. They need a me, cos if that was my tbm, i'd use the routeplanner and driver as jackstays for the crane and their flutes as flyjibs.

I have no idea what you just said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

I hope Shell put more time and energy into getting the gas onshore safely than they do running a truck down a road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

I have no idea what you just said
    transl: use another road ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

If it were a choice between Shell or Mayo, I wish Mayo would fook off to sea
    Fúck you príck

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,626 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

It just goes to show that many, if not most, of our country local roads are poorly built and will need new foundations and re-laying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Mayo_Boy wrote: »
    Fúck you príck

Banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Just let the council road workers, laden with irish pride sandwiches near the hole in the road. The problem would be sorted in no time :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Forget those tiddlers, try one of these monsters. One is plenty, especially if that's all you could get close enough to the site.

Thing is, how close could one of those monsters actually get?

Without becoming stuck...

Advertisement