Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chronicles of a fish: the days of surf and turf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    You following the Olympic swimming? What happened your boys in the 4 x 100? Too many changes from the semis?

Huh??? :eek:
    I am following the swimming like mad.....but, but.....we are on a time delay over here in the States......wasn't going to peek at results so I could watch it unfold.....but now I guess I know. I suppose it was the Aussies who beat us. How did Phelps look? I hated that he didn't even get a podium finish in the 400 IM.....and while I think Lochte is the real deal, he's too much of a showboater for my liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭griffin100

You're in for a treat, and a big big surprise :)

griffin100 wrote: »
    You're in for a treat, and a big big surprise :)

This doesn't sound good. Gulp.

Where's the grill now, Lochte??
    Maybe this will humble him a little. He's a little too big for his britches. But...the French????

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Dory Dory wrote: »
    You following the Olympic swimming? What happened your boys in the 4 x 100? Too many changes from the semis?

Huh??? :eek:
    I am following the swimming like mad.....but, but.....we are on a time delay over here in the States......wasn't going to peek at results so I could watch it unfold.....but now I guess I know. I suppose it was the Aussies who beat us. How did Phelps look? I hated that he didn't even get a podium finish in the 400 IM.....and while I think Lochte is the real deal, he's too much of a showboater for my liking.

Oppsie - no more spoilers from me so!

• Advertisement

Oppsie - no more spoilers from me so!

No worries. ;)

Intervals

Lunchtime Olympic Intervals!!!! Woo hoo!!! God I love the Olympics - if you aren't moved by them in some fashion you probably don't have a pulse. I was even getting emotional watching dressage today. <**sniff, sniff**>

Session as follows:
    1 mile easy
    6 x (.5 mile at 6:44 pace with 90 second recovery)
    1 mile easy

Total of 5.75 miles in 50:56 for an average pace of 8:52 min/mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Hey DD, some great training for you at the moment, when is the Tri? You are in great shape for it.
    We're also glued to the Olympics in our house, inspirational stuff:)

Marthastew wrote: »
    Hey DD, some great training for you at the moment, when is the Tri? You are in great shape for it.
    We're also glued to the Olympics in our house, inspirational stuff:)

Hey!! The tri is on Sunday, August 19th. Never having done an entire tri myself (done several as the swimmer in relays), I'm excited and uncertain all at the same time. Not sure how to pace the swim in particular.....and have no clue about transitions.....but I think if I approach this as a huge learning experience I'll have a blast. :)

And speaking of some solid training - you're flying and on target for all of your various events! :D

Swim

I knew I wanted to do something snappy tonight, so I settled on the meat of this session being three sets of 5 x 40 yards off on a minute. I also decided to partition these sets with 400 yards of pulling.

It was short but sweet....and I have rediscovered my love for sprinting in the water. Body high, kick huge, stroke fast. I was a sprinter back in the day, and tonight's session reminded me of the fleeting intensity and thrill of the quick stuff. I came in on 28s and 29s in the first set (remember, 40 yards with one turn but with no swim cap)....28/27/27/28/26 in the second set.....and 26/27/26/27/26 (that last 26 was almost a 25) in the third set.

2,400 yards as follows:
    400 free
    5 x 40 free
    400 pull
    5 x 40 free
    400 pull
    5x 40 free
    400 pull
    200 breast

• Advertisement

Swim-Bike Session

This is a tough session. The first time I did this I did 4 sets of 400 free, but this time I did 2 sets of 400 free and 2 sets of 200 free. This change was made in part due to the Olympics coming on and me not wanting to miss any of the prime time coverage.....and in part because I really couldn't stomach doing two more timed 400s. :o

Got the bike setup on the deck, zipped up the tri suit, and dove in the pool. Did a brief warmup, then off on my first timed 400...that was followed by slipping on socks and shoes and hopping on the bike and spinning at a low resistance/high cadence for 5k...and then a recovery 200 in the pool...and so on.....

I was surprised how even my two 400s and my two 200s were, especially since I altered effort/technique slightly between them. 400s came in at 5:32 (2:45 at each 200), and 200s came in at 2:38 each. Certainly not as fast as I used to be, but for where I am in life (translation: old) I am happy enough with with these times.

Session as follows:
    200 warmup
    2 x (400 free, 5k bike, 200 recovery breast)
    2 x (200 free, 5k bike, 200 recovery breast)

Swim total - 2,200 yards
    Bike total - 20k

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Swim-Bike Session

This is a tough session. The first time I did this I did 4 sets of 400 free, but this time I did 2 sets of 400 free and 2 sets of 200 free. This change was made in part due to the Olympics coming on and me not wanting to miss any of the prime time coverage.....and in part because I really couldn't stomach doing two more timed 400s. :o

Got the bike setup on the deck, zipped up the tri suit, and dove in the pool. Did a brief warmup, then off on my first timed 400...that was followed by slipping on socks and shoes and hopping on the bike and spinning at a low resistance/high cadence for 5k...and then a recovery 200 in the pool...and so on.....

I was surprised how even my two 400s and my two 200s were, especially since I altered effort/technique slightly between them. 400s came in at 5:32 (2:45 at each 200), and 200s came in at 2:38 each. Certainly not as fast as I used to be, but for where I am in life (translation: old) I am happy enough with with these times.

Session as follows:
    200 warmup
    2 x (400 free, 5k bike, 200 recovery breast)
    2 x (200 free, 5k bike, 200 recovery breast)

Swim total - 2,200 yards
    Bike total - 20k

quality bit of work, wet socks second time around must have been just wonderful too ;)

interested wrote: »
    quality bit of work, wet socks second time around must have been just wonderful too ;)

Killer session - thanks for letting me steal it from you. ;)
    The socks and sloshing shoes only get better and better with each set....to the point that the centrifugal force of the foot revolution makes for great splattering fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Killer session - thanks for letting me steal it from you. ;)
    The socks and sloshing shoes only get better and better with each set....to the point that the centrifugal force of the foot revolution makes for great splattering fun!

no worries, but don't go having too much fun ! its not about fun ! ... hang on .. sorry

What I was getting at is that if you're gonna wear socks they're often easier to get on after you come off the bike and before the run instead of when you're straight out of a lake.
    For the swim/bike sessions you're doing I wouldn't bother with the socks ... but then, look where barefootin' got me ;)

Also, practice your fly finishes over and over again please. I was 'enraged' last night. Still a living legend, but why Michael, why ??? ;)

interested wrote: »
    no worries, but don't go having too much fun ! its not about fun ! ... hang on .. sorry

What I was getting at is that if you're gonna wear socks they're often easier to get on after you come off the bike and before the run instead of when you're straight out of a lake.
    For the swim/bike sessions you're doing I wouldn't bother with the socks ... but then, look where barefootin' got me ;)

Also, practice your fly finishes over and over again please. I was 'enraged' last night. Still a living legend, but why Michael, why ??? ;)

Ohhhh.....:o.....the sock thing. Well, when I finally graduate to big-girl cycling and learn to clip in I will heed your advice (and I guess I can heed it for this training session too), but because I will be wearing my runners for the bike section of the tri, I'll be putting my socks on at T1.

Michael.....I know, I know. So uncharacteristic....such lethal potential at the wall and he forgot to bring it (his turns weren't up to par either). Still total class, and as you say, a living legend. :)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I thought the crying south african and his dad was lovely to see. I look at stuff like that as the technical side is lost on me.

Oryx wrote: »
    I thought the crying south african and his dad was lovely to see. I look at stuff like that as the technical side is lost on me.

The tears would have been lovelier in a different (non-Phelps) event. ;)

Hey....where did the Confession Box and SBR Challenge go??? I seem to be having difficulty finding them. Did triathlon finally get its own cushy space in this forum??

Found it.....
    What's a cp??

Found it.....
    What's a cp??
    Your control panel. Its in the dropdown under your name up there^^^ It shows all your threads with new posts.

If you subscribe to a forum (an option above the threads in the forum) they will appear along with the most recent threads in your cp, and in the dropdown of your My Forums tab beside your name up there^^^

• Advertisement

Your control panel. Its in the dropdown under your name up there^^^ It shows all your threads with new posts.

If you subscribe to a forum (an option above the threads in the forum) they will appear along with the most recent threads in your cp, and in the dropdown of your My Forums tab beside your name up there^^^

Oh. I see it. I hate change. :(

Tempo

Sneaky tempo on the treadie while catching some of the Olympics - men's beach volleyball and swimming prelims. I never really got to the point where I was enjoying this session, but it's done and I guess that's what matters.

1 mile easy
    6 miles at 8 min/mile
    1 mile easy

8 miles total in 1:07:50 for an average pace of 8:29 min/mile.

Swim tonight. I think I'll go for the gold. (SBR reference) ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Tempo

Sneaky tempo on the treadie while catching some of the Olympics - men's beach volleyball and swimming prelims. I never really got to the point where I was enjoying this session,

Might I humbly suggest that the ladies beach volleyball sessions are more enjoyable?

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Might I humbly suggest that the ladies beach volleyball sessions are more enjoyable?

I'm more the hot male V-shaped body dripping wet in a skin tight speedo Lycra kinda gal. :D

I'm more the hot male; V-shaped body dripping wet in a skin tight speedo Lycra, kinda gal.

The power of punctuation:)

Random thought: what long-term goals do you have for your Mara/Tri training?

I'm more the hot male; V-shaped body dripping wet in a skin tight speedo Lycra, kinda gal.

The power of punctuation:)

Random thought: what long-term goals do you have for your Mara/Tri training?

Wow.....maybe I could watch you while I workout! ;)

Longterm goals.....maybe I could watch you while I workout! :D

Seriously.....longterm goals? Honest answer, not sure. Well....I will be signing up for Boston in September and hope to get in - I am in second wave to sign up, so no guarantee there. With tris.....I'll know more in 2 1/2 weeks. Would like to explore cycling more and learn to clip in. Will be heading to the bike shop after the tri. :)

Wow.....maybe I could watch you while I workout! ;)

Longterm goals.....maybe I could watch you while I workout! :D

Eh... that would be moi getting hot by watching toi, oh V-shaped body dripping wet in a skin tight speedo Lycra, gal. Perhaps my wordplay is lost, or more likely my brain is just mush. Too much stimulation from beach volleyball...:p
    Seriously.....longterm goals? Honest answer, not sure. Well....I will be signing up for Boston in September and hope to get in - I am in second wave to sign up, so no guarantee there. With tris.....I'll know more in 2 1/2 weeks. Would like to explore cycling more and learn to clip in. Will be heading to the bike shop after the tri. :)

(I know you won't do this) Get the clips, 5 mins practice is all it takes, you'll see a huge benefit in your race. Sure whats the worst thing that can happen? You fall, and break a collarbone? At least you'll look the part:D

Eh... that would be moi getting hot by watching toi, oh V-shaped body dripping wet in a skin tight speedo Lycra, gal. Perhaps my wordplay is lost, or more likely my brain is just mush. Too much stimulation from beach volleyball...:p

(I know you won't do this) Get the clips, 5 mins practice is all it takes, you'll see a huge benefit in your race. Sure whats the worst thing that can happen? You fall, and break a collarbone? At least you'll look the part:D

Crap! I hate when I miss a good wordplay!!!! ;)

Was so tempted to get the clip ins - but because a tri already has so many moving parts that I'm not familiar with, I will let that go this one time. But I do have a supercool trisuit I'll be wearing!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭griffin100

My wife texted me in work today to tell me my 6 year old son would not move from watching women's beach volleybal :)

Me - I've found a new appreciation of women's water polo. Tough sport played by Amazonian like women in high cut bathing suits - what more could you want? (eh does that make me sound like a perv? :))

• Advertisement

griffin100 wrote: »
    My wife texted me in work today to tell me my 6 year old son would not move from watching women's beach volleybal :)

Me - I've found a new appreciation of women's water polo. Tough sport played by Amazonian like women in high cut bathing suits - what more could you want? (eh does that make me sound like a perv? :))

What I'm getting from this is that you're into large, aggressive women. ;)

Advertisement