Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE1: Creedon's Cities - except Waterford!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

hardybuck wrote: »
    Personally I feel that the history of Waterford is unrivaled and should have been recognised in this show. It is Ireland's oldest city, and a whole show in itself could have been spent discussing the various periods in time.

Indeed. Great points. Sadly, our "national broadcaster" seems to care little for history....or just getting content right.

S28382 wrote: »
    Kilkenny isnt in the south east!
    :D:D

More condescending posts but nobody seems to be able to answer the questions I asked.

I don't see where I suggested the programme should be called that or where that even fits into my post.

Another question, if it's all so unfair and (as has been suggested) Waterford doesn't get the same chances as the other cities, what are you, as an outraged native, doing about it?

Lodging complaints with he relevant people - the best place to start. The only condescension being practiced is that of RTE towards Waterford City and its citizens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

7upfree wrote: »
    Rubbish.Waterford is bigger than (and then some) the combination of those towns you mention. You don't ask - you don't get. Until Waterford people get their heads around this nothing will change. If complaints have to be lodged - then do it!

I know its bigger than the towns i mentioned if you read my post you would of seen that i said it was bigger but it still doesnt make Waterford a city.

I know its bigger than the towns i mentioned if you read my post you would of seen that i said it was bigger but it still doesnt make Waterford a city.

According to you. Knock yourself out.....:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭bullpost

I think that we have a great history but unfortunately we are a bit behind places like Galway and Kilkenny in marketing ourselves in this way.
    This is down to the fact that unlike those two we had a big industrial base and therefore there was not the need to go for the tourist market .
    This has all changed now and I believe we will catch up and probably over time pass out some of other tourist centres because we have something that cant be manufactured.
    Indeed. Great points. Sadly, our "national broadcaster" seems to care little for history....or just getting content right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

A lot of people care about this issue, some bordering on obsession. I asked the question of someone earlier in the thread and I'll ask again now. Apart from posting in this thread, a lot, what else are you doing to right this wrong?

"a little less conversation and a little more action baby"

According to you. Knock yourself out.....:rolleyes:

What? how old are you .....im guessing 10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Kilkenny isnt in the south east! and im not missing the point at all, people are getting all hot and bothered over the fact that we got left out of a programme on RTE i mean its not like Creedons cities is going to set the world alight or change anything in Waterford, yes we have historical significance, the Waterford glass, beautiful scenery but one thing we dont have is a city plain and simple.

If the law was changed to make us call an apple an orange would it actually be an apple noooo it would still be an orange and all them laws are ancient laws in them times a plce like Waterford if anyway decent in size was classed as a city but in these modern times its just not a city.

This will come as news to about 23,000 people.

mike65 wrote: »
    This will come as news to about 23,000 people.

Haha it sure will, well its not the sunny south east, thats Waterford and Wexford:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭membersonly

Rubbish.Waterford is bigger than (and then some) the combination of those towns you mention. You don't ask - you don't get. Until Waterford people get their heads around this nothing will change. If complaints have to be lodged - then do it!

Just to clarify, you're saying that Waterford is much bigger than Wexford town, Kilkenny City, and Tipp town combined?

Just to clarify, you're saying that Waterford is much bigger than Wexford town, Kilkenny City, and Tipp town combined?

Nope

Nope

They said it was bigger than the combination of those towns though?

They said it was bigger than the combination of those towns though?

Sorry my bad i didnt really see what i replied to, yes it was said but not by me which when i actually red your post over i realised it wasnt directed at me.....i really should be paying attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Nope

I think the question was for 7upfree.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

I wonder if every Television licence holder in Waterford didn't pay their licence fees would they notice us then.

And now the melodrama has tipped over the edge.

A lot of people care about this issue, some bordering on obsession. I asked the question of someone earlier in the thread and I'll ask again now. Apart from posting in this thread, a lot, what else are you doing to right this wrong?

"a little less conversation and a little more action baby"

A lot more that you apparently....

What? how old are you .....im guessing 10.

A year older than yourself then.

There are some 20,000 plus homes in Waterford City alone.

The entire County of Kilkenny has only 29,000.

Wexford is smaller. Tipp town smaller again.

http://www.cso.ie/en/media/csoie/census/documents/Prelim%20complete.pdf

• Advertisement

Haha it sure will, well its not the sunny south east, thats Waterford and Wexford:D

FYI, the South East is classed as Waterford, Wexford, Kilkenny, and Carlow.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

FYI, the South East is classed as Waterford, Wexford, Kilkenny, and Carlow.....

And don't forget South Tipperary.

A lot more that you apparently....

Tell us what you've done so. I obviously have done nothing about it cause I don't think it's as issue. You however are scarily obsessed with it.

There are some 20,000 plus homes in Waterford City alone.

The entire County of Kilkenny has only 29,000.

Wexford is smaller. Tipp town smaller again.

http://www.cso.ie/en/media/csoie/census/documents/Prelim%20complete.pdf

Have you ever been outside of Waterford? (serious question)

Tell us what you've done so. I obviously have done nothing about it cause I don't think it's as issue. You however are scarily obsessed with it.

If "scarily obsessed" means worrying about our City's profile then guilty as charged. I've written to RTE; I've highlighted on boards.ie; I've written to the City Council.

Tell me : what have YOU done?

Have you ever been outside of Waterford? (serious question)

And your point is?

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    And don't forget South Tipperary.

Indeed. Apologies.:o

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I think it might be best that people who don't believe in what some are campaigning or call for just leave the topic alone tbh. Some people see it as an issue, others don't. Is there any need to poke fun at someones beliefs? If you don't agree, fine, but don't go laughing and mocking them.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OMARS_COMING_

Waterford obviously isn't a city.Its not a bad place but theres no way it is a city.

If Waterford is a city then you can call any respectably sized town in Ireland a city!

• Advertisement

If "scarily obsessed" means worrying about our City's profile then guilty as charged. I've written to RTE; I've highlighted on boards.ie; I've written to the City Council.

Tell me : what have YOU done?

Are you a bit slow? I've already told you I have no intention of doing anything about it because I don't see it as an issue. You are the one who is up in arms about it but all you can be bothered to do is bitch about it on this forum (Oh and maybe you should reprint those letters you sent to RTE and the City Council because I'm pretty certain that you did neither of those things.) People are getting bored of you at this stage.

And Sully, are you, as a mod, telling people to not post in a thread, just because they don't agree with it's subject matter?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement