Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Odeon Point Village & iSense

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

There is simply no excuse for inadequate seating gradiants. Noticed this while in London really poor design.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Is there a difference between IMAX and digital besides aspect ratio and resolution? Like won't digital cameras eventually film in 8000p? Besides that one's on film and one's on a memory card :)

Also can someone summarise the different sizes of the biggest screens in Dublin and if they use digital projectors? Ie Isense, cine world 17, savoy 1 etc :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,105 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

You're best reading the wiki article, but even the projection methods are proprietary.

The RED EPIC currently captures 5K images, which to all extents and purposes is more than enough for current use. Arri Alexa is lower, but a plethora of films shot on it - including Hugo and the Avengers - have made it to cinema screens, and I bet you didn't even notice (I sure as hell didn't :p). 4K home viewing is purported to be the 'next big thing', so even then you have leeway as that's the current maximum clarity for cinemas. The biggest benefit at the moment is for editing, where you can effectively crop an image to half its size and still have full HD quality. Plus various technical jargon involving latitude: effectively, when you capture an image in RAW, you can adjust the camera settings in post (ISO, colour etc...) as if you were there in the room, as long as you have the basic image data there (it's not under/over exposed, for example). They're wonderful cameras for those purposes, but for the end viewer it really makes no difference whether its 5K, 4K or even lower (although you can be sure as hell cinematographers give a ****). Yet.

You'll find pretty much every cinema in Dublin is digital now - Cineworld fired all their traditional projectionists a year or so ago, to take the most prominent example. In fact, you'll be almost harder pressed to find cinemas that still use 35 or 70mm projectors. For technical and financial reasons, it makes perfect sense, even if it is a shame that only the likes of IFI or Screen are left with old school projectors.

Biggest? You're probably still looking at Cineworld 17 and Savoy 1.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Re the Red, on Dragon Tattoo it looked like Fincher was only using about 60 or 70 percent of the digital negative. This meant he could completely re-frame or even stabilise a shot in post-production. For example, if there was a pan or a tilt that he felt was too slow he could make it faster. Pretty cool!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,105 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I was talking to one editor who was able to cut an entire character out of a film by re-framing and cropping the RAW image from a RED One (and, obviously, using optimal angles)! There's some serious leeway in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

I went to see Cabin in the Woods in the Odeon, and overall I had an okay experience. The showing was around 3ish and it wasin screen 2. For one ticket to a 3D film, nachos (which were absolutely horrible), and a medium drink I spent close to €20, which I thought was a bit much. The screen itself was a good size, seats were comfortable and the sound quality was perfect from what I could tell. For me though, the Point Village is very out of the way so I doubt I'll become a regular but I would love to check out the iSense screen - I'll just be avoiding the food.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Raekwon wrote: »

Also as mentioned before, the design of the cinema is poor and the seats are not laid out at a steep enough angle so peoples head will block the bottom of the screen even from the very back of the premier seats. There was also a narrow window on the door to the regular seats on the left hand side of the cinema that let light in and was very distracting.........especially when people came late or went to the toilet. I found this ridiculous as most cinemas have dark hallways into the cinema so that no light can get into the cinema from the bright lobbies.

I also went to Screen 1 (row J seat 13 prem) as the ODEON is close to me..my 1st time at a cinema in years, and it will be my last for a longtime. Peoples heads blocking the screen, felt screen very small unable to see subs ..bloody walkway to jacks in the middle of the room. I will be sticking to viewing my films at home on my nice Samsung 3D TV with surround sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Just because you had a bad experience in one cinema doesn't mean they're all the same. Your loss really.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

DominoDub wrote: »
    I also went to Screen 1 (row J seat 13 prem) as the ODEON is close to me..my 1st time at a cinema in years, and it will be my last for a longtime. Peoples heads blocking the screen, felt screen very small unable to see subs ..bloody walkway to jacks in the middle of the room. I will be sticking to viewing my films at home on my nice Samsung 3D TV with surround sound.
    This is an acknowledged problem with the Odeon, specific to that cinema. Cineworld on Parnelll st doesn't have that issue at all. In fact the only thing Odeon's iSense has going for it is the sound system, everything else about it is either average or (in the case of seating) below average.

Try cineworld next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 WildBillH

I really like the Odeon cinema but if it wants to survive a recession in what is essentially a ghost town part of the city, they're going to need to offer much better value. The fact that they don't even do proper loyalty cards a la Cineworld (~€20 pass for the month) in favour of their 'spend €1,000 and get a free ticket' card is another reason why I'll be going less often than I'd like to. Why not just make entry as cheap as possible? You'll still make your 1000% markup on popcorn and Coke from me!
    It's much better value than that. You get 10 points for every €1 spent so every €100 to €120 gets you a free ticket or large combo. So if you're buying food as well it's more like every 5 trips to the cinema you get a free ticket. But that's not why I like it. It gets you 25% off on tuesdays and 15% of tickets booked online all week. With UCI rebranding it can be used in a few cinemas around Dublin. Anyway, I got the €9.99 card which gets you double points for a month and comes loaded with 1000 points. Got up to 3000 points in no time. And it can be used to earn points in the Costa up there. But as far as I know you can't redeem points in Costa. Once shops start opening up around there and it's worth hanging around it'll be better because, at least then if you're going to be around there anyway, if you want a coffee or some food you can go there and earn points. And there's competitions and promotions.

They do desperately need to open up shops around there though. As it stands if I'm in the city shopping and decide to see a film Cineworld is the easier option, if there was a bit more to do up around that end I'd probably find myself there more often.

Cineworld tickets are actually slightly more expensive (very slightly, less than €1 difference). So it's not really overpriced either, it's about in line with most other cinemas.

• Advertisement

I attended the Tom Petty concert at the O2 during the week and decided to take a look at the Odeon while i was there. I think I'll give them a try for either Spider-man or TDKR. The place did look empty though with no one queuing.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 maulikdesai1

Anyone seen Spiderman 3D yet in iSense? whats the feedback?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Not in iSense but I saw it at the BFI Imax in LOndon last night. All looked and sounded fantastic. I even enjoyed the movie although my expectations were low!

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

Im planning on seeing this in isense tonight. Which are the isense cinemas, are they the point village, blanchardstown and liffey valley?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Im planning on seeing this in isense tonight. Which are the isense cinemas, are they the point village, blanchardstown and liffey valley?
    Just the point and blanch, its an odeon thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭jony_dols

The Isense screen was a small bit of disappointment when I saw Prometheus at the Odeon, but the fact that squeeze hot extra butter on the popcorn (unlike Cineworld's & The Savoy's overly-salty & cold servings) nearly makes the visit worthwhile!

FYI, after then seeing Prometheus in 4D in Bangkok, no cinema in Ireland will unfortunately cut the mustard!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 maulikdesai1

jony_dols wrote: »
    FYI, after then seeing Prometheus in 4D in Bangkok, no cinema in Ireland will unfortunately cut the mustard!

Wow! Prometheus in 4D. how was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

What's the 4th dimension? A scratch n sniff card or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

What's the 4th dimension? A scratch n sniff card or something?
    Time actually, you can reverse the fact that you went to see Prometheus. So no time is wasted by watching the 4d version. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭jony_dols

Corkfeen wrote: »
    Time actually, you can reverse the fact that you went to see Prometheus. So no time is wasted by watching the 4d version. :pac:

4Dx is far less of a gimmick than standalone 3D; the seats slowly tilt when flying in on panoramic vistas, you can feel the wind beating against your face during the Scotland/ Silica storm scenes & the sensation of the Wormsnake whizzing past your ear. Not to mention the seats literally kick the crap of you when the Engineer goes bat**** and starts throwing everyone about. And to top it all off, it's all being shown on a massive IMAX 3D screen.

It managed to turn the 3-star disappointment that was Prometheus into a 5 star immersive experience.
    Pity there ain't no cinemas kitted out for 4Dx in Europe yet, because other blockbusters such as TDKR could really benefit from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 Klept0

I saw it on Sunday in iSense, quite enjoyed it! The sound quality in iSense impresses me more so than the image quality though :o

Klept0 wrote: »
    I saw it on Sunday in iSense, quite enjoyed it! The sound quality in iSense impresses me more so than the image quality though :o

That is disappointing. I am planning on seeing TDKR as my first experience of iSense.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭beglee

They arent showing TDKR in isense at the point odeon until the 22nd July as they are showing Spiderman instead all this week :confused:

Surely they would get more business for the dark knight, its one of the most hotly anticipated movies of the year!

EDIT: so im a retard, it aint out until the 20th, oops hahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Went again :( Don't know why? €18 (including a medium popcorn) it was 2pm. No one in the showing really and they were still asking did I want a standard seat or a premium one, I got a standard and sat in a premium one.

Though I enjoyed Spiderman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭christ on a bike!

Hi All

I have a ticket booked in row B for the next night - Given the size of the screen would it be difficult to watch a movie so close up? I know that it usually is, just would like to hear someones opinion...

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Klept0

If it's something fast paced then you might be in for a rough time, hunger games style shakey cam up that close is a nightmare from my experience :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭techdiver

Hi,

Can you guys help me out here.

I've read mixed reviews about isense in The Point Village. I've also read about the restricted view because of the bottom of the screen being obstructed. If you were to go to see TDKR in isense in The Point Village where are the best seats?

I've read that if your in the back row you can see the top of people's heads at the bottom of the screen. Is this the case? How could they make the mistake in designing the seating gradient.

Just back from seeing TDNR for the second time and first time at the iSense. Overall a good experience but not great. The gradient of the seating is poorly designed so if anyone tall is sitting in front of you your in trouble. Also the bottom 3-4 feet of the screen is redundant as a result. Sound and picture quality was excellent. Popcorn is a rip off.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    I've read that if your in the back row you can see the top of people's heads at the bottom of the screen. Is this the case? How could they make the mistake in designing the seating gradient.

It wasn't a mistake, they purposely did it to fit in more seats. It's annoying and is actually a deal-breaker. I had to manouvre my head to read subtitles :mad: (and missed out on some as well) It's hard to justify choosing that over, say, Savoy 1 when the price is cheaper (Savoy : €8.60 peak adult, Odeon : €10:50) and more central, same size or bigger screen. The sound system is v impressive in the Odeon but ya gotta contend with less seats & someone's head in your way.

Anyway give it a go to check out a new cinema but it's a bit of a hard sell.

Advertisement