Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A dublin orange parade?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭junder

junder wrote: »
    Why would the Dublin and Wicklow lodge go up to Dundalk to parade when they are from Dublin?

Oh i'm sure some of the religious brethern from the North would only be too eager to attend.

Really? And you would know this how?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Some of them told me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

So Irish citizens are not allowed to parade on thier own capital city?

But you're the Dublin and Wicklow lodge. Why wouldn't Wicklow town be an entirely suitable place to march, and it would allay the fears you say your members have about marching in Dublin.

Some of them told me.

Sure they did. Well so far most of you have confirmed our suspicions that dispite saying that unionist culture will be welcome in a united Ireland, so far we have 3 pages that say different and as a unionist / loyalist I can tell you that the loyal orders are a fundamentally important part of my culture as will be born out next week when 100,000s of people across northern Ireland, Scotland and yes even England will be out watching or taking part in the 12th (in which no effigys will be burnt)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Not British no?

They are subversives who want this state destroyed by way of implementing British rule, the Special Branch should infiltrate them to make sure the public are protected.

• Advertisement

AltAccount wrote: »

But you're the Dublin and Wicklow lodge. Why wouldn't Wicklow town be an entirely suitable place to march, and it would allay the fears you say your members have about marching in Dublin.

I'm not in the Dublin and Wicklow lodge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

MOD NOTE:

Folks, can we take it easy on the smart-arse one-liner comments? Thanks.

gurramok wrote: »

Not British no?

They are subversives who want this state destroyed by way of implementing British rule, the Special Branch should infiltrate them to make sure the public are protected.

British? You tell me they are after born and reared in the republic of ireland. Moreover if they do indentify with being British, so what? Republicans keep telling us we are irish, is this now not the case? And subversive in what way exactly? If this was the case surly you government would have proscribed the Dublin lodge?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

Apologies, because you've mentioned this specific lodge, and no other, four times (five including this post, as some wiseass will probably point out) I presumed you were speaking as a member.

Getting away from this silly gaffe of mine, they're the Dublin and Wicklow lodge. Why wouldn't Wicklow town be an entirely suitable place to march, and it would allay the fears you say their members have about marching in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

Please be aware that it was compulsory to bring up children of mixed marriages as Catholic in the Republic until relatively recently. That is not a valid position.

Not true. Father RC, mother COI, brought up COI.

Personally, I have no issue with a march in Dublin and members of the OO are welcome from Dublin, Wicklow, Belfast, Portadown, Liverpool or wherever. If people have a problem with it, they should hold their own peaceful protest against it.

• Advertisement

AltAccount wrote: »

Apologies, because you've mentioned this specific lodge, and no other, four times (five including this post, as some wiseass will probably point out) I presumed you were speaking as a member.

Getting away from this silly gaffe of mine, they're the Dublin and Wicklow lodge. Why wouldn't Wicklow town be an entirely suitable place to march, and it would allay the fears you say their members have about marching in Dublin.

To make a point that this is a local lodge in Dublin wanting to walk in thier capital city and not the Belfast 12th walking O'connel street. Moreover orange parades do take Place in villages in the republic, but is this the only way the orange order is allowed to parade in the republic. I am sure the Dublin and Wicklow lodge would quite happly parade innwicklow town if they are allowed, but it begs the question would they be allowed to parade in Wicklow town? And why should parading in Wicklow preclude them parading in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭doopa

COYW wrote: »

Personally, I have no issue with a march in Dublin and members of the OO are welcome from Dublin, Wicklow, Belfast, Portadown, Liverpool or wherever. If people have a problem with it, they should hold their own peaceful protest against it.

I believe it was a maternal thing in response to the first point.

What is the aim of the march?

It does seem to massively conflagrate the idea the unionism==protestantism. There aren't any unionists in the republic any more (obivously there are protestants). An Orange March in the republic could only be a celebration of Protestantism, but would lose any of the political camoflague afforded it in the North, and so could only be judged on the merits of its religous beliefs which are quite frankly from a couple of centuries ago. Something I'm personally not a massive fan of having 'celebrated'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

the cost of cleaning up should have our government refuse this riot provoking march

To make a point that this is a local lodge in Dublin wanting to walk in thier capital city and not the Belfast 12th walking O'connel street. Moreover orange parades do take Place in villages in the republic, but is this the only way the orange order is allowed to parade in the republic. I am sure the Dublin and Wicklow lodge would quite happly parade innwicklow town if they are allowed, but it begs the question would they be allowed to parade in Wicklow town? And why should parading in Wicklow preclude them parading in Dublin

So are we moving the goalposts - to should the OO be allowed to march in the centre of Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭chalkitdown

COYW wrote: »
    Interesting, not the policy in Munster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

British? You tell me they are after born and reared in the republic of ireland. Moreover if they do indentify with being British, so what? Republicans keep telling us we are irish, is this now not the case? And subversive in what way exactly? If this was the case surly you government would have proscribed the Dublin lodge?

Make up your mind, are they British or Irish?

They are a religious hate group who are anti-gay, anti-Catholic and anti-secular. You follow these beliefs?

As I said, they are undermining the Irish state by wanting it abolished and absorbed into the UK.

An irish perspective on the speech, (although being the independent I can already envisage the replys)

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/an...y-3158344.html

A slightly more mature response. Sadly not shared by most of the posters on this thread. We as unionist are told to move on but it seems what's good for the goose is not good for the gander as it seems many republicans can't move on from negative stereotypes of the past.

gurramok wrote: »

Make up your mind, are they British or Irish?

They are a religious hate group who are anti-gay, anti-Catholic and anti-secular. You follow these beliefs?

As I said, they are undermining the Irish state by wanting it abolished and absorbed into the UK.

Why do I need to make up my mind for them. They are what they perceive themselves to be. They are however born in the republic and carry Irish passports so regardless of what they may perceive themselves as being, they are citzens of the Irish republic.

More context please, is that the same 'Nelson'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

MOD NOTE:

junder, we've been over this: please don't cut and paste entire articles. You should be able to edit your own articles in-thread - it is not our job to do this for you, and normally these kinds of posts are infracted and/or deleted.

• Advertisement

An irish perspective on the speech, (although being the independent I can already envisage the replys)

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/an...y-3158344.html

A slightly more mature response. Sadly not shared by most of the posters on this thread. We as unionist are told to move on but it seems what's good for the goose is not good for the gander as it seems many republicans can't move on from negative stereotypes of the past.

The article doesn't say very much - aside from noting that old white men from one country are pretty similar to old white men from another country. The only desenting voice being an uppity woman! The OO's rationale for existing in the Irish Republic is not clear from that article or the speech. What is the purpose of the OO in the south of Ireland? Is protestantism (and specifically not unionism) under threat in the Republic? If so, is the OO with all its baggage the best organisation to speak for all Protestants in the Republic - or would say, I dunno, a parliament and a set of equality laws be able to protect them from discrimination?

What was forward-looking in his address? The commentary in that article is very light on criticism - it implies that others have historically criticised the order but makes no judgement on the correctness of those criticisms. Has the OO moved on in any way? Is it still an organisation that excludes people on the basis of gender or sexuality? What examples can you point to that show movement in terms of the OO's practises? What have the OO changed in the last 20 (never mind 100) years - honestly don't know myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭poeticseraphim

Interesting, not the policy in Munster.

By who's authority is this policy enforced? It's not the govt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

I wouldn't like to see an orange march in our capital city. I see the OO as a racist anti-Irish anti-catholic bigoted organisation. Aside from that they are far too fond of marching. One Dublin Parade would soon turn into 20 and the people of Dublin really could do without that sort of disruption.

The OO seem to particularly enjoy marching into areas that are contentious and with a whiff of trouble in the air. They then rely on the forces of the state to keep then safe no matter how much it costs. We need our police for more important things.

By who's authority is this policy enforced? It's not the govt.

I don't have any names. The republican ideals that were originally fought for were never represented after Dev got to power. The Irish National school system was supposed to be non sectarian and inclusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Please be aware that it was compulsory to bring up children of mixed marriages as Catholic in the Republic until relatively recently. That is not a valid position.

In fairness that was a Church policy, don't know if it still exists.

Wasn't there an Orange Order move to expel the UUP leader for attending the funeral of Ronan Kerr, the PSNI officer?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »

Wasn't there an Orange Order move to expel the UUP leader for attending the funeral of Ronan Kerr, the PSNI officer?

Church policy, Orange order policy, what's the difference really?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

K-9 wrote: »

No, not a move to expel. Just an inquiry.

woodoo wrote: »
    I wouldn't like to see an orange march in our capital city. I see the OO as a racist anti-Irish anti-catholic bigoted organisation. Aside from that they are far too fond of marching. One Dublin Parade would soon turn into 20 and the people of Dublin really could do without that sort of disruption.

The OO seem to particularly enjoy marching into areas that are contentious and with a whiff of trouble in the air. They then rely on the forces of the state to keep then safe no matter how much it costs. We need our police for more important things.

Racist? There are black members and Ghana exclusively black lodges, are they anti Irish, anti catholic bigots?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

the cost of cleaning up should have our government refuse this riot provoking march

Who do you think would riot? Not the Orange Lodge members. Riot provoking eh? Would this be similar to a man hitting a woman then saying she made me do it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Church policy, Orange order policy, what's the difference really?

Both are wrong, one seems more recent and was looking to punish a member for attending a Catholic funeral. I've a problem with sectarian policies. I'd have the same problem with the Freemasons looking to march!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement