Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Physics...Before/After**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

mathstalk wrote: »
    Where exactly in the tables is the charge of the proton? I couldn't find it anywhere. I think I might have had the old tables. It wasn't even on the page telling us the masses of the electron etc.

Electon has a charge of -1. Proton has a charge of +1. So I think you have to go by the assumption that the charge of proton is the same as charge of the electron and it's 1.6x10^-19 C.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Cathalog

Cathalog wrote: »
    Rainbow:
    Rain
    Sun
    Something else

Q8: you didn't use enough significant figures :( It was close to 0. You were supposed to use the log tables to find the charge on the proton.

Where exactly in the tables is the charge of the proton? I couldn't find it anywhere. I think I might have had the old tables. It wasn't even on the page telling us the masses of the electron etc.

Same as the charge on an electron.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

That was a nice enough paper! Tough modern physics question, took about 10 years to do all the table flicking!

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Liveforrugby

finality wrote: »
    I think it's equal to the charge on the electron isn't it?

Am i missing something here... charge on a proton is +1 charge on an electron is -1? Am I over simplfying something?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Tankosaur

Am i missing something here... charge on a proton is +1 charge on an electron is -1? Am I over simplfying something?

They have the same quantity of charge just opposite values of that charge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭mathstalk

subz3r0 wrote: »
    You draw the normal line on the thing to help you. In either case, the symbol theta was drawn on the angle they want you to find.

I know that but what side of the block are they talking about when they say parallel? Parallel to this side:

z3WqD.png

Or to this side:

NHife.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭mcpaddington

Just looking for a confirmation on question 1. So were we supposed to draw the line on the test itself?

Cathalog wrote: »

Ah that's what I used! Brilliant!
    Just looking for a confirmation on question 1. So were we supposed to draw the line on the test itself?

The question doesn't specify. It's badly phrased. Don't worry, you'll get marks for what you did.

A few questions about Question 5.

a) Cork and Sligo. Did ye get 288.75 km?

g) Person smokes bla bla bla. Is the answer convection currents in the air and draught bringing the smoke into the building?

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Liveforrugby

I better leave before I find out I made even more mistakes..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Epsi

This annoyed me as well. Didn't know the value for it and had about 1 minute left at the end , So wrote down the opposite charge of the Electron (I know this is incorrect) plugged it all in and got a ridiculous answer. Thought I'd make a stab at it with barely any time left.

Thank heavens , So I wasn't crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭mcpaddington

g) Person smokes bla bla bla. Is the answer convection currents in the air and draught bringing the smoke into the building?

That's what I got anyway.

May I ask what people answered for the question on diffraction of x-rays? I said that they will be diffracted but not to the same extent as light as their wavelenghts are very different.

Also I did every question on the paper..... am I the only one?

I know that but what side of the block are they talking about when they say parallel? Parallel to this side:

z3WqD.png

Or to this side:

NHife.png

Ah I getcha. I also contemplated putting down 90 degrees for angle theta.
    But if you look at it they want the critical angle of the block in the question.

I think the marking scheme will allow both answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Yes. That's in terms of the charge on the electron. like charge on electron is -1(1.6x10^-19) so proton is the same as that but positive

The question doesn't specify. It's badly phrased. Don't worry, you'll get marks for what you did.

Yes it does.
    Draw the appropriate graph on this examination paper.

You draw the line of best fit on the thing itself, shove it in your booklet and voila.

Yea I got that value of distance but you had to say north as it asked for displacement.

For the smoke I said the smoke is warm so it is lens dense and therefore it rises above the cold air through the building. Strange question I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

I also said that the smoke would diffuse out to cover a large area

Ah I getcha. I also contemplated putting down 90 degrees for angle theta.
    But if you look at it they want the critical angle of the block in the question.

I think the marking scheme will allow both answers.

I guessed that's what they wanted too, but it's annoying when they try to make it sound cryptic and end up making communicative errors in the process.

Ah that's what I used! Brilliant!

It said to draw your own graph

Edit: it did not apparently...

I did it anyway. My value of g was 9.86 so it doesn't matter really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭c28omzk7ihsxv0

That could have gone worse....

It cold have gone better too...

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

Tankosaur wrote: »
    May I ask what people answered for the question on diffraction of x-rays? I said that they will be diffracted but not to the same extent as light as their wavelenghts are very different.

Also I did every question on the paper..... am I the only one?

I asked my teacher about the x-ray one. Supposedly x-rays won't be diffracted as their wavelength is too short, or something like that :P

As I said a couple of posts back, it was a mistake on behalf of the SEC, and you get the full 15 marks for just finding the acceleration.

It said to draw your own graph

It clearly didn't .. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Epsi

Yea I got that value of distance but you had to say north as it asked for displacement.

For the smoke I said the smoke is warm so it is lens dense and therefore it rises above the cold air through the building. Strange question I thought.

I said the smoke would diffuse into the build , then gave the definition of diffusion. I remember that definition from biology though , and couldn't remember if it was a definition on the physics course.

finality wrote: »
    I also said that the smoke would diffuse out to cover a large area

I said the air pressure inside the building is smaller than outside, so the smoke, along with air, would get "sucked" into the building. Both answers seem correct, but sadly from my observation of past marking schemes, they'll probably only accept one. Which one? Who knows.
    iLaura wrote: »
    I asked my teacher about the x-ray one. Supposedly x-rays won't be diffracted as their wavelength is too short, or something like that

I said that they would get diffracted, but to a lesser extent.

It clearly didn't .. ?

I know, I was wrong. I edited it instantly, I misread what they were on about.

iLaura wrote: »
    I asked my teacher about the x-ray one. Supposedly x-rays won't be diffracted as their wavelength is too short, or something like that :P

It will be diffracted but very, very little.

Light can be diffracted by a grating, x rays are diffracted by the distance between atoms in graphite crystal structures.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ECM2012

In the nuclear physics question, if you multiplied the mass of an electron by the mass numbers of 3H and 2H without using the values in the log tables, would you say that's ok? I was going to use the values in the tables but they were the same but with loads of decimel places.. Didnt think it made a huge difference at the time but I'm doubting myself now

I said the air pressure inside the building is smaller than outside, so the smoke, along with air, would get "sucked" into the building. Both answers seem correct, but sadly from my observation of past marking schemes, they'll probably only accept one. Which one? Who knows.

I said that they would get diffracted, but to a lesser extent.

Air pressure is the same everywhere at the same altitude, otherwise our ears would pop everytime we walked in and out of buildings.

• Advertisement

ECM2012 wrote: »
    In the nuclear physics question, if you multiplied the mass of an electron by the mass numbers of 3H and 2H without using the values in the log tables, would you say that's ok?

No, because electrons don't come in to this question at all. They said nuclei.

You will still be given marks for the formula and substituting in and for the unit :)

Advertisement