Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Germans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Wurzelbert

interesting thread…being german, i really wish people would bother getting into german history - and thus basically the core of european history - a little more, and not only the last two world wars but the last 1200 years or so since germany began to emerge as a nation…that would help people understand today’s europe (eu, euro and all) and also the 20th century's turmoil better than having been brought up with a limited and tailored version of history written by those who won the war(s) ever could…what most people in the western world perceive as german/european history ist really just a conglomeration of facts, half-truths and lies…and that’s what to this day is shaping people's perception of germany…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

Wurzelbert wrote: »
    interesting thread…being german, i really wish people would bother getting into german history - and thus basically the core of european history - a little more, and not only the last two world wars but the last 1200 years or so since germany began to emerge as a nation…that would help people understand today’s europe (eu, euro and all) and also the 20th century's turmoil better than having been brought up with a limited and tailored version of history written by those who won the war(s) ever could…what most people in the western world perceive as german/european history ist really just a conglomeration of facts, half-truths and lies…and that’s what to this day is shaping people's perception of germany…

you did help to beat the french at waterloo......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

A grand bunch of lads. Seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

They have laws over four hundred years old for beer purity

Any country with laws for top class beer is a great country and has their priorities right

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reinheitsgebot

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

I think our view of Germans i sometimes shaped by those who come top live here. The Aussteiger does this image few favours. I for one find it weird when such Germans refuse to speak German, even with their fellow countrymen. very often the Aussteiger seem to have a chip on their shoulder against their own country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

you did help to beat the french at waterloo......

The German state didn't exist at the time. It was Von Blucher and the Prussians at Waterloo.

Nodin wrote: »
    The German state didn't exist at the time. It was Von Blucher and the Prussians at Waterloo.

i am well aware of that......but as the germans existed in roman times.....i guessed they were german.....

of course bismark united all the german states.......except austria....not officially anyway...

that's just the sort of limited knowledge of history i meant in my previous post here...while the german state of today was founded in 1949, the german nation as such has been arond much longer...ever wondered why the 3rd reich was called the 3rd? take some history lessons...

that's just the sort of limited knowledge of history i meant in my previous post here......

Prussia was a seperate kingdom in 1815. Prussia didn't become part of a greater Germany until 180/71 and unification

One of my teamleaders is German

Hates the Turks, absolutely hates them!

Bit of a guess but they are about 2000km apart I reckon,
    Hardly neighbours with a long history :confused:

Not sure why, we were a bit surprised

• Advertisement

i am well aware of that......but as the germans existed in roman times.....i guessed they were german.....

of course bismark united all the german states.......except austria....not officially anyway...

They were a Germanic state, but they were not the sole representative unit of the German peoples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

i dont like germs

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Hates the Turks, absolutely hates them!Bit of a guess but they are about 2000km apart I reckon,Hardly neighbours with a long history :confused:Not sure why, we were a bit surprised

Could have something with the estimated 3.75 million odd Turks and people of Turkish origin in Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 monkyslap

People seem to have a very negative view of the Germans.
    I've often heard Irish people call them boring. But anyone who's lived there will tell you this is far from the truth.
    They tend to be quite good at their jobs and take it seriously, but as soon as they're finished work they become very active. They'll be doing activities right through the week after work. Not just lounging around the house watching TV.
    Also, the women seem to be able to have plenty of one night stands and not get called whores, which is a delight, perhaps.
    They also have great diets.
    Even their beer has very strict brewing laws. You won't find the mad chemicals you find in most beers in any German beer.
    Anyway, I just think they're a great bunch of lads (and lassies).
    What are boardies experiences and opinions of ze Germans?

As a German myself, i think we are the most boring people on ze planet. i must also apologise for our disgracefull acts during the war. now i shall put my head in sand while being whipped on ze bottom by little people.

anyone ever wonderd how come the imperial regalia of the medieval german empire (the “1st reich”) are nowadays in vienna? from reading several posts here, most users clearly have no clue of german history…read up on it, folks…even if only on wikipedia as a starting point…and do not stop there....

that's just the sort of limited knowledge of history i meant in my previous post here...while the german state of today was founded in 1949, the german nation as such has been arond much longer...ever wondered why the 3rd reich was called the 3rd? take some history lessons...

I thought the German state of today was founded in 1990? auch Ossis sind Deutschen.

They were a Germanic state, but they were not the sole representative unit of the German peoples.

wow!....such knowledge......

go back to bed.......

Hates the Turks, absolutely hates them!

Bit of a guess but they are about 2000km apart I reckon,
    Hardly neighbours with a long history :confused:

Not sure why, we were a bit surprised

the Turks are like the travelling community. some decent but some less so. the Turks who go to Germany are not exactly the cream of the crop and many can barely read and write Turkish, let alone German. honour killings are not popular in germany.

prinz wrote: »
    Could have something with the estimated 3.75 million odd Turks and people of Turkish origin in Germany.

and the way they behave, though I do think Turks in Germany are more integrated than in places such as Austria.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Ah sure their not too bad

• Advertisement

Jester252 wrote: »
    Ah sure their not too bad

live and let live. take them as they are. there is nothing worse than meeting a group of people and having preconceived notions about them, whether it be the arrogant Besser Wisser west Germans, the exact-to-minute North Germans, the lazy East Germans or the the conservative southerners.

Reminds me of 2007 when the German Ambassador insulted our fine nation :mad:
    In his 15-minute speech the ambassador said:

Ireland was a "coarse place".

Junior ministers here earned more than the German Chancellor.

Some 20pc of the population were public servants.

Our "chaotic" hospital waiting lists would not be tolerated anywhere else.
    Wage demands were too high.

Our immigration policy was wrong and we had learned nothing from Germany or the Nordic countries.

He also cited the doctors' rejection of €200,000 a year posts on the basis that this sum was "Mickey Mouse" money and referred to the former dominant position of the Catholic Church within the country.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/reprimand-for-german-envoy-over-his-coarse-irish-speech-1081773.html

Cheek of him!

Reminds me of 2007 when the German Ambassador insulted our fine nation :mad:

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/reprimand-for-german-envoy-over-his-coarse-irish-speech-1081773.html

Cheek of him!

bloody kraut. why shouldn't we get a new car every year and getting paid 250k is peanuts. who wants to buy a house to live in when it can be part of a property portfolio?

wow!....such knowledge......

go back to bed.......

I'm sorry to rain on your little parade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I've never met a German I didn't like. Great sense of humour.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

People seem to have a very negative view of the Germans.
    I've often heard Irish people call them boring. But anyone who's lived there will tell you this is far from the truth.
    They tend to be quite good at their jobs and take it seriously, but as soon as they're finished work they become very active. They'll be doing activities right through the week after work. Not just lounging around the house watching TV.
    Also, the women seem to be able to have plenty of one night stands and not get called whores, which is a delight, perhaps.
    They also have great diets.
    Even their beer has very strict brewing laws. You won't find the mad chemicals you find in most beers in any German beer.
    Anyway, I just think they're a great bunch of lads (and lassies).
    What are boardies experiences and opinions of ze Germans?

What people? I never hear people complain about the Germans:confused: Its not like they occupied us for 800 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I have nothing against the German people in any way, shape or form.
    I hate the current German government with a firey passion words can't describe.

Very much the same opinion I hold for nations like Israel and the US. I don't really understand why people hate on the entire German nation because of Merkel & co - most Germans I know don't like their current government either. Would you want the Irish people to be judged on the standards of Bertie & co?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Ze fraulines are into ze kinky Scheize.

Stinicker wrote: »
    Ze fraulines are into ze kinky Scheize.

its amazing how much Euro Trash and THE Sun influences our view of Germans.

• Advertisement

Fuinseog wrote: »
    I thought the German state of today was founded in 1990? auch Ossis sind Deutschen.

nope…in 1990 east germany (the gdr) joined the federal republic of germany which was founded in 1949…not like a new state was founded in 1990…i reckon you were kidding anyway…

Advertisement