Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭ck83

all of a sudden i have a sore leaking boob!:eek: any ideas

also im thinking of introducing formula now as im not expressing enough for a full feed and we have a wedding in a few weeks so i want to make sure there will be milk for her. also one of my freezer bags burst so i lost 7oz :mad:and cant risk this when im not around. so anyone any ideas on what formula i could introduce? she is 20 weeks old now:eek: (feelin guilty but i know its a good decision...)

The nurse in my GP practise recommended Aptamil, said it was the formula that was most similar to b/milk.... My little dude hasn't had a problem with it, but that said, I'm sure every baby is totally different. The small cartons, as already mentioned, might be the way to go for the first few feeds to make sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

bought tons of breastpads as well - and never needed them at all, not a single one! Use them now as makeup remover pads :D

But they won't break the bank, so might as well get a box!

Red Fraggle - we use Aptamil as well - one reason being that it was also available abroad, since I didnt fancy bringin tons of powder with me...I think otherwise, it's all the same...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

ck83 wrote: »
    The nurse in my GP practise recommended Aptamil, said it was the formula that was most similar to b/milk....
    Clearly their marketing budget was money well spent :P
    None of them are anything close to breast milk so it's a case of finding one which suits your baby.

I needed breast pads up to 5 months and found the tommy tippee ones the best. Next time I'd probably buy reusable ones considering how many disposable I went through.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

You'll have to reduce the feeds gradually as you don't want to end up with engorgement or mastitis. It's heartbreaking when you lose your stash like that after all the work that went into it. To be on the safe side, try freezing smaller amounts at a time, there's less waste that way. Formula-wise I don't think it matters, they're all the same. I gave my wee fella Aptamil 1 until just before his 1st birthday. You could try giving ready-made cartons at the beginning to see what suits.

There's no need for guilt, you've fed your baby the very best and we all need our lives (and boobs back) at different stages.

thanks!! im a bit excited about getting my boobs back.;) i might stop the expressing first. no sure how ill do it actually. oh theres tha pang of oh my God the thoughts of stopping i dont want to! feck the brain and heart are hard things to handle!!!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

red fraggle do it slowly and your supply will adjust. I'd say stopping expressing first is good then reduce a feed every two weeks. You'll soon figure out how long it takes your supply to adjust and if it happens quickly you could reduce a feed a week but start with two weeks.

If you're a bit conflicted about stopping you could consider keeping one feed a day for a while longer.

red fraggle do it slowly and your supply will adjust. I'd say stopping expressing first is good then reduce a feed every two weeks. You'll soon figure out how long it takes your supply to adjust and if it happens quickly you could reduce a feed a week but start with two weeks.

If you're a bit conflicted about stopping you could consider keeping one feed a day for a while longer.

thanks for that. im not stopping just yet im just introducing formula for when im not around instead of expressed milk. im thinkin come the end of june i will have to start reducing feeds to be ready for work come end of august.

just wondering i have some expressed milk. would i be better to keep this for when im stopping/finished and give her a bottle a day until its gone or will it make no difference to her? just wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

I haven't commented here in ages!!

Still nursing R, who is almost 8.5 months. It was SO hard at the start, and then at 10 weeks old I copped on and went to a lactation consultant who diagnosed a posterior tongue tie, which we got snipped in Clonmel when he was 14 weeks old. It wasn't affecting R as much as me- he was gaining weight fine etc. I was just so sore I was crying before feeding him knowing there was pain coming! It's been so much easier since we got the tongue tie released. The amount of times PHN's, GP's, midwives checked his mouth and didn't spot it! It's such a pity- even the ones who really want to be supportive just don't have the experience or training when it comes to breastfeeding. :(

I started going to some Cuidiu groups, haven't been to any La Leche League yet. I'd definitely recommend them, even for pregnant mums planning to breastfeed. I kinda wish I'd known in advance that it wouldn't be easy, but that it was all normal! There's so many tips and advice though- I'm still writing notes!!! :D

For anyone planning to breastfeed, I'd recommend youtube for "laid back breastfeeding", breastfeeding lying down, SAFE co-sleeping, Kellymom.com, Dr. Jack Newman, and the list of cuidiu breastfeeding counsellors/ la leche league leader phone numbers printed and ready to call if you have ANY problems!!
    I saw this graph thing the other day comparing the effort of breastfeeding and formula feeding- at the start breastfeeding is WAY higher, but after about 2 weeks it's levelling out, then breastfeeding is just way more convenient.

Multimam compresses were a lifesaver for me too- cracked nipples healed overnight!:p

Congrats liliq, that's great news.

red fraggle it isn't necessary to atop breastfeeding when you go back to work. Feeding 3-4 times in 24 hours is sufficient from a nutritional point of view. It may be a case that your little one feeds more at night at the beginning which is called reverse cycling although my son didn't. He still got 1-2 feeds during the night as usual, 1 in the morning if he was awake before I left for work, 1 as soon as we got home (he'd practically rip my top off and scream until I fed him!) and one at bedtime.

Once they're past 6 months they don't need milk during the day and they adapt very quickly. My son used to have water as his main drink at crèche and still does. He certainly never missed his milk drink or got upset. You could give formula if you want. I decided not to because having got to 7 months I didn't want to start paying for something we didn't need and I didn't want to introduce the daily habit of a bottle. However you can and you may prefer to.

Even at 20 weeks she may figure out quite quickly that she's not getting milk when you're not there but she'll get it when you come home. I'd start with your stash of breast milk and when that's gone use formula if you need to.

• Advertisement

red fraggle it isn't necessary to atop breastfeeding when you go back to work. Feeding 3-4 times in 24 hours is sufficient from a nutritional point of view. It may be a case that your little one feeds more at night at the beginning which is called reverse cycling although my son didn't. He still got 1-2 feeds during the night as usual, 1 in the morning if he was awake before I left for work, 1 as soon as we got home (he'd practically rip my top off and scream until I fed him!) and one at bedtime.

Once they're past 6 months they don't need milk during the day and they adapt very quickly. My son used to have water as his main drink at crèche and still does. He certainly never missed his milk drink or got upset. You could give formula if you want. I decided not to because having got to 7 months I didn't want to start paying for something we didn't need and I didn't want to introduce the daily habit of a bottle. However you can and you may prefer to.

Even at 20 weeks she may figure out quite quickly that she's not getting milk when you're not there but she'll get it when you come home. I'd start with your stash of breast milk and when that's gone use formula if you need to.

ok thanks for that. my worry is i will be leaving at 2.30pm for work and wont be home until 12pm the next morning. if i have to do doubles i wont be home for 2 nights!!:eek::( im hoping to keep a morning and bedtime feed anyway but i suppose time will tell. it will be easy enough to express in work mornin and evening and i think it would be nice to have those feeds with her when i am home.

am i right to presume that they still get alot from the breastfeed even if they are only on one or two a day?

Yes, I believe in the theory that every feed counts so you breastfeed when you can and then give formula for the days you're working. On the days you're working 2.30-12 you could feed 2-3 times before you leave and then she's fine nutritionally. That's the great thing about breastfeeding; you can tailor it to suit yourselves.

The major advantage of keeping up breastfeeding as long as possible is the boost to her immune system. Breast milk isn't a magic potion but it is biologically designed to allow the mother to create and pass on antibodies to her baby to protect her from illnesses as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

i'm starting to drop the 2pm feed as well as the 5 pm feed this week, he's taking 7 oz bottles instead. to me its going fine, just being careful so, i dont get blocked etc.

still have no idea what shifts ill be doing so dont really know what feeds ill be keeping.

Yes, I believe in the theory that every feed counts so you breastfeed when you can and then give formula for the days you're working. On the days you're working 2.30-12 you could feed 2-3 times before you leave and then she's fine nutritionally. That's the great thing about breastfeeding; you can tailor it to suit yourselves.

The major advantage of keeping up breastfeeding as long as possible is the boost to her immune system. Breast milk isn't a magic potion but it is biologically designed to allow the mother to create and pass on antibodies to her baby to protect her from illnesses as much as possible.

thats a good idea i might do that feed as much as we can when im home. i suppose ill only know what will work when i get back to work:rolleyes:

wmppd i will be keeping an eye on how youre doing!! ill be close behind you i think.. is it 7oz of formula your little one takes? the shift work is hard isnt it? how do you think you will cope? will you be away nights aswell? in a way im looking forward to getting back to work to have another focus and maybe get my brain working again!:rolleyes:and in another way im dreading it!!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

I needed breast pads up to 5 months and found the tommy tippee ones the best. Next time I'd probably buy reusable ones considering how many disposable I went through.

I liked the MAM ones.

NextSteps wrote: »
    I liked the MAM ones.

I didn't even know there was such a thing as reusable pads... If only I had, I might have watched my carbon footprint!! I'm still using them @seven months... I'm too afraid not to, but we're weaning, so only a couple more boxes should do the trick! I liked the johnsons ones the best... I didn't like how some of the others were individually wrapped- thought it was a fierce waste of plastic, unless I was popping some in my handbag!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

ck83 wrote: »
    I liked the johnsons ones the best... I didn't like how some of the others were individually wrapped- thought it was a fierce waste of plastic, unless I was popping some in my handbag!

Glad I'm not the only one annoyed by this! I found the J&J ones too bulky, even though I only use them at night. I use the Boots reusables during the day, I think they're more discreet and the netting washbag that comes with them is great for small socks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

I liked the Johnson's ones best too - I needed the bulk!!
    Although apparently the lansinoh ones good too!
    I'd def try reusable next time!!

wmppd i will be keeping an eye on how youre doing!! ill be close behind you i think.. is it 7oz of formula your little one takes? the shift work is hard isnt it? how do you think you will cope? will you be away nights aswell? in a way im looking forward to getting back to work to have another focus and maybe get my brain working again!and in another way im dreading it!!

He's was taking 7oz at 5pm every night last week. That worked fine. You'd forget how long it takes to sit down and feed a baby a bottle. He did have more wind but we got it up alright.

So today, he had a 7oz bottle at 2 pm and 5 pm, the box says 6oz for his age but 4 oz for his weight. So I breastfed him at 11 am so by 6 pm, I had lopsided very full boobs, so I pumped 3 oz. I fed him again at 9pm and he went off to bed for the night.

The last few nights, he's been awake for a few dream feeds, but that could just be a 4 month growth spurt.

His poo is a bit different, very light but a bit thicker, so I offered him a bottle of water but he didnt want it.

Thankfully he'll take a cold bottle, couldnt be bothered with all this warming.

I still have no idea what hours I'll be doing, I will be able to plan better when I do know. Its only 25 hrs per week, but I need to adjust my supply now so I can concentrate on working when I do back.

Before my usual hours could be: 10-3 pm, 12-6pm, off, 3-10pm, 5-10pm,off 1-8pm.

For childcare reasons I'll be asking for shifts like 7pm to 12am, but I have no idea if I'l get them.

can i put my tommee tippee breast pump into the dishwasher and or wash it in milton?

• Advertisement

You can put it in the dish washer, but make sure there is nothing red or green or brown in there or it will stain.

You can use it after its been in milton for 30 mins.

I only ever wash my tommee tippee pump in the dishwasher now- it's gone very orange at this stage from getting put in with tomato pasta sauces etc!
    At least it's only 2 or 3 times a week I'm using it, when i'm in work, so it's not like it gets a chance to bother me that it's a weird colour!

cool thanks! mine looks a little yellow so i want to give it a good wash as i wont be using it very often anymore.

Day 3 of the 2 bottles and he's just lovin it.

He's averaging out at a feed every 3 hours between 8am and 9pm. So 3 boob feeds and 2 bottle feeds.

It might be just me but I think he's getting chubby! His face has cheeks!

I nearly have him trained in naps so that helps, he goes down every 2.5 hours for a half an hour.

I'm OK, just really full, my feeding bra wont close! I've ended up pumping for comfort at 6pm every evening. I think my supply is low in the morning, I just dont seem to have enough for him, so I'm just letting him feed constantly from 8am to 9am.

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Day 3 of the 2 bottles and he's just lovin it.

He's averaging out at a feed every 3 hours between 8am and 9pm. So 3 boob feeds and 2 bottle feeds.

It might be just me but I think he's getting chubby! His face has cheeks!

I nearly have him trained in naps so that helps, he goes down every 2.5 hours for a half an hour.

I'm OK, just really full, my feeding bra wont close! I've ended up pumping for comfort at 6pm every evening. I think my supply is low in the morning, I just dont seem to have enough for him, so I'm just letting him feed constantly from 8am to 9am.

its great to here its going well!!! hope the fullness calms for ya. depending what way she feeds daily i can be very full the next morning!!

congrats on the napping. any tips? how did you manage to get a bit of a routine? e doesnt nap at all only in my arms for 20 mins once a day if im lucky!!

its great to here its going well!!! hope the fullness calms for ya. depending what way she feeds daily i can be very full the next morning!!

congrats on the napping. any tips? how did you manage to get a bit of a routine? e doesnt nap at all only in my arms for 20 mins once a day if im lucky!!

Going great but I cant seem to get my supply up in the morning, now he's waking at 7am starving, he takes 3 boobs then still polishes off a 5oz bottle. Poor man is starving after sleeping since 9pm.

I tried letting him nurse loads in the morning to try improve supply but he made it quite clear he didnt want an empty boob!

So now he's
    7-9 boob feed
    9am small bottle
    12pm boob
    2pm 7oz bottle
    5pm 7oz bottle
    7pm boob
    9pm boob bed

Its only when I thought to write down when I fed him I realised when he feeds.

I did nothing and both my kids put themselves into a routine. I never let either of them cry. If they want to sleep in my arms then so be it. Now at 20 months, you can set the clock by my little girl!

About a week ago, the 4 month old started sleeping in my arms every 2.5 hours, so now 2.5 hours after he woke up I put him in the pram and I wheel it for a few minutes, he sleeps for about 40 mins.

You just have to jump on the signs that they give when they are tired. If they rub their eyes when tired, jump up and put them asleep as soon as they do it, while they are in a good mood.

At night, at 9pm I bring him up to be, turn off all the lights, feed him on my bed, wind him of course, then put him in his crib with the mobile and he goes asleep about 5 mins after the mobile ends. He doesnt cry but he debates with the mobile then debates quieter and quieter until he just goes asleep.

He really is a new man since the cranial thing, he never crys in the car any more, he naps, he will lie down on his mat, he will sit in his bouncer. Before the only thing he'd stay in while I was in the shower was the swing and as soon as I put shampoo in my hair, he'd kick off.

prisioners got more peace than me!!

I'm falling in love with him all over again.

I'm really starting to think there was something 'wrong' with him before. :eek:

Though I have to say 2 things,
    1. he like feeding from bottles better than working for breast milk and
    2. he had a double chin!! already!!

I noticed that as soon as I introduced one bottle of formula, and solids, my supply started to dwindle, and I couldn't get it back up either. No amount of nursing seemed to help... My little one also made it clear he wasn't going to hang around waiting for an empty boob, when there was a much better alternative. Hed cry And cry... I didnt fight it anyhow, because i knew weaning was on the cards anyhow. He's just about weaned now, which is a whole month earlier than I intended. For the last week, I'd only been feeding him first thing in the morning, and was thinking id continue with that for another while, at least until i go back to work. Today, he went to the boob. It seemed empty, he cried, so he got a bottle. I think we're done. If I think about it too much, I'm sure I'll find it upsetting. But there's no point- he made his mind up. I've done my job. I'm very proud of the good start I've given him.

wmpdd3 wrote: »

About a week ago, the 4 month old started sleeping in my arms every 2.5 hours, so now 2.5 hours after he woke up I put him in the pram and I wheel it for a few minutes, he sleeps for about 40 mins.

You just have to jump on the signs that they give when they are tired. If they rub their eyes when tired, jump up and put them asleep as soon as they do it, while they are in a good mood.

At night, at 9pm I bring him up to be, turn off all the lights, feed him on my bed, wind him of course, then put him in his crib with the mobile and he goes asleep about 5 mins after the mobile ends. He doesnt cry but he debates with the mobile then debates quieter and quieter until he just goes asleep.

yeh once shes up 2 hours or so i try get her to sleep in my arms which works sometimes. yesterday i even managed to get her to sleep waited 15mins put her lying on the bed and she woke 15mins ish later!! i didnt know what to do for the 15mins!!! she did this again in the afternoon so ill keep trying this when i can.

as for night time we are pretty ok there. feed in the dark room and off to sleep after, sometimes shes asleep on the boob sometimes not.

ck83 on the topic of weaning. ive been introduving solids and e seems to only do a 20 min feed now if even compared to 40min before. im wondering is she just more efficient at getting it now or is she not gettin enough. its hard to know. but my supply will start to go down soon. congrats on feeding so long and i think ur right not to over think it baby decided to thats the best way!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LilMrsDahamsta

Ladies, any tips on getting the small man not to bite as he feeds? He nearly 10 months now and just getting his 4th front tooth. I guess the cause is teething, but it's still AGONISING! He only feeds while he's asleep these days (i.e. I have to put him to sleep or he's way too difficult to deal with, constantly wriggling and sitting up), so it's not something he's doing consciously.

Thanks in advance!

• Advertisement

OUch... we're starting to get to that stage as well at 8.5 months. I've gotten a few sharp nips that really hurt :(
    I've heard a few suggestions but only for awake babies!- at this stage they're starting to understand "No" etc, so if he does it when awake, unlatch him and tell him "no" and wait a minute before letting him continue.
    Watch him as close as you can and you might pick up on a little tell that he's about to do it so you might be able to intervene before he actually gets you!

Advertisement