Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Funding of Sinn Fein?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Indeed - it is laughable when shinners hark on about the apparent fact that SF is not aligned to 'big business' and 'high flyers' in regards the fundraising it recieves.

That notion is totally blown out of the water when one examines their overseas fundraising activities - where corporate donations alongside donations from very wealthy individuals have raked in over a million euro for the party within the last three years alone.
    Why are those donations made? To curry favour like the donations to your party were for?

Or were they from Irish Americans attempting to further the republican cause?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Why are those donations made? To curry favour like the donations to your party were for?

Or were they from Irish Americans attempting to further the republican cause?

Influential business figures attempting to aid their activities in Northern Ireland and beyond no doubt.

Have you ever been at a SF dinner fundraiser? I guess the foot soliders rarely get to see the high flying activities that your prominent party figures get up to when they are abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭golfball37

Influential business figures attempting to aid their activities in Northern Ireland and beyond no doubt.

Have you ever been at a SF dinner fundraiser? I guess the foot soliders rarely get to see the high flying activities that your prominent party figures get up to when they are abroad.

I daresay despite your keyboard bravado that you haven't been present at one either.

The Galway tent and its legacy has far more serious implications for this country than any fund raiser held by any party 3000 miles away. It should never be trivialised.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

golfball37 wrote: »
    I daresay despite your keyboard bravado that you haven't been present at one either.

The Galway tent and its legacy has far more serious implications for this country than any fund raiser held by any party 3000 miles away. It should never be trivialised.

The Galway tent itself, whilst setting a terrible image, was trivial compared to the behind the scenes fund-raising that occurred with dinners and so on. I will be the first to put my hands up and say that such activities were unethical and I am glad that they have been banned within FF - although such activities still occur within all other political parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

When SF supporters "boast" about the TDs taking the average wage it is in reference to that fact, that the TDs are in touch with ordinary citizens not a claim that the state is saving money.

35k salary and everything paid for by 45k worth of (un-vouched) expenses, how exactly is that in touch with ordinary citizens?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Stuck Cone

I thought it was mostly fuel laundering?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Stuck Cone wrote: »
    I thought it was mostly fuel laundering?

SF laundering fuel? I'd love to see your links for that.
    35k salary and everything paid for by 45k worth of (un-vouched) expenses, how exactly is that in touch with ordinary citizens?

... and the expenses arent used to run constituency offices or anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

maccored wrote: »
    SF laundering fuel? I'd love to see your links for that
    Not everything involves "links" and it doesn't take a dunce to realise what the poster meant either.
    Fire away and explain where their money goes then. Don't forget it comes from no less than three taxpayer bases (Rep.Ireland, Northern Ireland and Great Britain).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

The SF constituency office experience must be amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

djpbarry wrote: »
    The SF constituency office experience must be amazing.

Not amazing, just numerous. Even at the start of the last decade when PSF were a lot smaller in terms of elected officials, they had numerous office's dotted around the country.

• Advertisement
Advertisement