Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Funding of Sinn Fein?

Options
  • 25-05-2012 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭

Sinn Fein are very proud to state that none of their elected TD's receive more of their wages than average industrial wage with the difference between the salary they're paid by the Irish taxpayer and that average going to the party's own coffers.

Given that a TD's salary is over 90k, whilst average industrial wage is around 35k. Surely the after tax difference between those salaries contravenes the political donation limits for an individual?

If there's an exemption in place, fair enough, just curious to know if it's legal?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

If it wasnt legal you can be sure the likes of McDowell would have done something

• Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'd be surprised if he hadn't but still curious as to what makes it legal...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Based on the 2009 figures, each SF TD donated €6,000 a head to the party.

It came up in a lengthy thread around about the Presidential Election and McGuinness' promise to only take the average industrial wage. As is the way with these things, it went off on many tangents so the substantive issue was far, far away by the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭golfball37

It goes into the individual consitutuencies of the elected TD's not the party coffers, making it legal.

Thats the official line anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

One thing is certain, their TD's do not get the average industrial wage off the state and are saving us nothing. They also claim more in expenses than most of the other parties.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

One thing is certain, their TD's do not get the average industrial wage off the state and are saving us nothing. They also claim more in expenses than most of the other parties.
    And not just in Dublin, but in Stormont too and Westminster, a parliament they refuse to even sit in.
    The ultimate Cute Hoor movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

The average expenses claim for a SF TD is €40-45k a year IIRC

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Lockstep wrote: »

That is a staggering amount - basically means that the "average industrial wage" line is just all spin.

Or perhaps it could have something to do with the fact that every SF TD has a full time constituency office... same isnt true for other parties.

If the expenses are not spent on things they shouldn't be, for personal gain etc I don't see the problem. That said I think the amount TDs are able to claim should be capped at around 30k.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Or perhaps it could have something to do with the fact that every SF TD has a full time constituency office... same isnt true for other parties.

I cannot really think of any TD who does not have a full time constituency office. I would imagine that not having a full time constituency office would very much be an exception for TD's these days.

• Advertisement

I cannot really think of any TD who does not have a full time constituency office. I would imagine that not having a full time constituency office would very much be an exception for TD's these days.
    Really? Really?

Must not have thought very hard then.

Really? Really?

Must not have thought very hard then.

Yes, really. Most TD's that come to my mind have a fully staffed office (well one secretary at least) open each day of the week. Considering there is a specific allowance for constituency office matters that does not necessarily surprise me.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

If the expenses are not spent on things they shouldn't be, for personal gain etc I don't see the problem. That said I think the amount TDs are able to claim should be capped at around 30k.

I would have thought SF could have used some of the rebates from TD's towards constituency offices rather than claim expenses. Seems odd, taking the average industrial wage, giving the rest to the party for party costs and in addition claiming high expenses from the state. The state doesn't save anything at all.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    I would have thought SF could have used some of the rebates from TD's towards constituency offices rather than claim expenses. Seems odd, taking the average industrial wage, giving the rest to the party for party costs and in addition claiming high expenses from the state. The state doesn't save anything at all.
    No one ever claimed the the state saves anything. The issue with the average wage is that SF tds don't live the ivory tower lifestyles some other TDs do...

When SF supporters "boast" about the TDs taking the average wage it is in reference to that fact, that the TDs are in touch with ordinary citizens not a claim that the state is saving money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭German pointer

What is the average expense for the TD's from other parties?

And being from Limerick I remember that Willie O Dea got into trouble a few years ago when he was asked about the €250,000 of tax payers money (IIRC) it cost to run his office in Limerick every year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

It's more about them making a point that they aren't in politics for the money, unlike all the FF ministers riding off into the sunset last year with their big fat golden handshakes and pension pots.

also having the consituency and party funded this way makes them less likely to resort to corruption and taking backhanders from lobbyists.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

No one ever claimed the the state saves anything. The issue with the average wage is that SF tds don't live the ivory tower lifestyles some other TDs do...

When SF supporters "boast" about the TDs taking the average wage it is in reference to that fact, that the TDs are in touch with ordinary citizens not a claim that the state is saving money.

they are still living off the Northern bank robbery,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

You've evidence of that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

18 posts before it got mentioned, must be new record

What is the average expense for the TD's from other parties?

And being from Limerick I remember that Willie O Dea got into trouble a few years ago when he was asked about the €250,000 of tax payers money (IIRC) it cost to run his office in Limerick every year
    Average expenses per year
    FG: €36412
    Lab: €28756
    FF: €45219
    SF: €45153
    ULA: €35144
    Ind: €37805

Source

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭German pointer

Source

So they are not the highest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

Well whatever they do with it, they don't spend it on ink anyway!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭Laminations

BULLSH1T

So they are not the highest

No they're not but I don't think anyone in this thread claimed they were.
    That said, claiming €45k a year in expenses is pretty excessive in my view, especially when it's a party that claims to only take the average industrial wage. Coming 2nd place to Fianna Fáil (and only being €60 a year behind them) isn't very noteworthy in my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

It's more about them making a point that they aren't in politics for the money, unlike all the FF ministers riding off into the sunset last year with their big fat golden handshakes and pension pots.

also having the consituency and party funded this way makes them less likely to resort to corruption and taking backhanders from lobbyists.

SF have never taken donations from dubious sources? I'd find that hard to believe.

Every Irish politician is in politics for the money. The very nature of what it takes to go far in Irish politics dictates this necessity; the only difference between them is some are terrible while others are clearly fraudulent.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

It's more about them making a point that they aren't in politics for the money...
    Their party certainly seems to be.

Source

Sinn Fine Fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

Nodin wrote: »
    You've evidence of that?

not a bit of evidence, I'm not a copper, plenty been said to their face before by many. Let them sue for slander\libel :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

not a bit of evidence,..........

Thanks for your honesty.

• Advertisement

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    SF have never taken donations from dubious sources? I'd find that hard to believe.

Indeed - it is laughable when shinners hark on about the apparent fact that SF is not aligned to 'big business' and 'high flyers' in regards the fundraising it recieves.

That notion is totally blown out of the water when one examines their overseas fundraising activities - where corporate donations alongside donations from very wealthy individuals have raked in over a million euro for the party within the last three years alone.

EDIT: Oh and, if you think the Galway tent era was bad, then you should experience first hand the lavish behind-closed-doors dinner receptions that SF put on in America to aid their fundraising.

Advertisement