Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any racing rigs/setups around?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭c0rn3y

Smaller updates on the sketchup rig.
    Getting a bit out of hand and somehow I think some of the parts will be hard
    to source but that is not stopping me from designing what I want hehe.

I have redone the pedal area. Now I can have all kinds of settings for the
    pedals. I can angle them, lower & higher them and move them front and back.

Feedback as always is very welcome. Maybe we can get together a community rig =)

frame.jpg

frame_floor.jpg

frame_floor_pedals.jpg

full.jpg

pedals_back.jpg

pedals_side.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭katana1

c0rn3y wrote: »
    Good idea there Squidwert, I am going to check today =)

Got my self a new job yesterday as well so now I should have a bit more money to spend on my racing stuff I hope hehe.

Congratulations on the new job:).
    Thanks for new drawings --some more idead for me to "borrow".
    I asked at two small engineering places in my town for some box section around 25-50 mm and both basically told me where to go as they can use off cuts for brackets.
    They are both known for being tight bas****s anyway.
    So I will go out further and try other places.
    I'm sorry now that I didn't make from MDF as its cheap and easy to work with and also it would be done by now.
    I just wish for a few dry days lol.

Thanks katana1, feels very good to start working with stuff that I like (web dev).

Anyways I wanted to see what my design would look like using aluminium extrusion (profile) that you can find so many people using. I think that I will make my rig out of this stuff instead of steel. Some pics below. And as always ant ideas are more than welcome.

frame.png

frame_wheeldeck.png

frame_pedals.png

pedals1.png

pedals2.png

frame_wheeldeck_screens.png

What do you people think, aluminium or steel?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Squidwert

Looks great. but the only thing with that 80/20 stuff that you'll be using is the price. even the brackets are quite pricey thou it would be very easy to adjust.

I used these guys when i bought some a while back

http://www.flomax.ie/category.asp?Category_Id=18

Squidwert wrote: »
    Looks great. but the only thing with that 80/20 stuff that you'll be using is the price. even the brackets are quite pricey thou it would be very easy to adjust.

I used these guys when i bought some a while back

http://www.flomax.ie/category.asp?Category_Id=18[/QUOTE]

I agree that aluminum is very expensive but --It looks better and my rig is going to be heavy when (if) its finished.
    I would go for aluminum if I had money.

On another note and I don't want to hijack your topic.:o
    If anyone who has a G27 could give me the dimensions of the pedal plate and the length and depth of the wheel.Mine was ordered last Friday week but there was a problem with packaging and it was sent back to Komplet.I am hoping to get it early next week but if I had dimensions I could do a bit more work on rig.
    Thanks if you can help.:)

• Advertisement

Hey katana1, its not hijacking hehe. It is the hole point of this post. To talk about racing rigs and anything that has to do with them =)

You can find all you need here about the measurements of the G25/G27 wheel and pedals.

I was looking at different places to get the aluminium extrusion and it does seem to cost a lot. I asked a man that works for KJN Ireland and I was told 16€ per meter of 45x45 profile and 5€ for every bracket. Would mean around 200€ just for the brackets. I know I found a site a while back in Poland I think that sold it WAY cheaper, I just have to find that site again. Looking at the UK version of the KJN site I would be able to get everything for half the price compared to the quote I was given. Think I will ask why =)

Hey katana1, its not hijacking hehe. It is the hole point of this post. To talk about racing rigs and anything that has to do with them =)

You can find all you need here about the measurements of the G25/G27 wheel and pedals.

I was looking at different places to get the aluminium extrusion and it does seem to cost a lot. I asked a man that works for KJN Ireland and I was told 16€ per meter of 45x45 profile and 5€ for every bracket. Would mean around 200€ just for the brackets. I know I found a site a while back in Poland I think that sold it WAY cheaper, I just have to find that site again. Looking at the UK version of the KJN site I would be able to get everything for half the price compared to the quote I was given. Think I will ask why =)

I take it you can weld. 30mm box is very cheap and is a good size to work with.
    I needed 6foot of it and Miko Metals in cork charged me E3.95 so I would say a length is cheap enough.
    Its mild steel.....I had a look around at aluminum and its big money everywhere.
    If you gave miko metals a cut list and made your own brackets for alum' box it might be within your budget.I think they deliver nationwide.
    Got the dimensions so I can do another bit at weekend (wife's birthday today:D).
    Thanks for the link.:)

I am slowly getting there with my rig.I started the table part at the weekend (in my tiny shed):o.This is it so far.....Hopefully next ones will be it finished....If ever:rolleyes:....I was wrong to use galvanised box,even if it was free. It was a nightmare trying to get it off and kept blowing back from inside when I was trying to weld it.:mad:.I'm kicking myself that I didn't buy new steel....BTW my cameras date and time are all wrong.

Hey katana1, MORE PICTURES!!!! hehe.

I found some 20x20mm box section the other day and thinking I maybe should use that but it looks so small hehe =)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

That aluminium stuff isn't that as ridged, it also suffers from the problem of coming apart much easier, the softer aluminium doesn't hold the brackets as well.

• Advertisement

Well I'm 90% finished. I just have to finish bracket for gearshift.Also a few paint touch ups etc.Thanks for all the ideas guys. I know that it's homemade but I'm really looking forward to hooking it up next weekend.
    Well thanks to this thread and your ideas-- I finally made something.:)

About the 20mm box. If you have a good lot of it you could do something like the frames on older ducati bikes --it would make it good and strong. If you are welding it make sure you brace it all over as 20mm box would go all over the place with heat.Stagger weld it is best..I learned the hard way when I tried to make my front gates :o

Awesome Great stuff :)

That is looking really nice man. Good stuff!!

Now all we need is a Lan Party to show off all the rigs hehe. Comon it would be cool, no idea how people would get the rigs there hehe.

Good tips about the 20x20 box section. Thanks for that one =)

Thanks lads. BTW --I took advice and rang a couple of engineering places --Got a bit of aluminum plate from one and a few pieces of stainless plate (cut into flat bar when I got home) but Got enough to finish.
    I worked at a bracket for the shifter tonight and at last I'm finished --just to connect everything up at weekend ...And try put my little shed back together.:)..
    Last photo and thanks again for all the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Brad768

For the boys with PVC rigs, where did you get your piping and joints from. Also if you don't mind me asking, how much it will set me back?

I have a PVC rig. I got all my pipes and fittings from a plumber in Swords. Cant remember the name but I will check for you. All the pipes, fittings and glue set me back about 100-120€ and then you have get a seat as well.

I am planing to build a new rig and will be selling my pvc rig without the seat soonish if that would be anything you would like =)

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭pben

Hi

Here's my wheel stand cost €28 worth of wood from B&Q, used on the Xbox360 with Forza

pben wrote: »
    Hi

Here's my wheel stand cost €28 worth of wood from B&Q, used on the Xbox360 with Forza
    Well done --It looks cool and really sturdy ,Thats some good woodworking.
    happy Racing .:)

I have a PVC rig. I got all my pipes and fittings from a plumber in Swords. Cant remember the name but I will check for you. All the pipes, fittings and glue set me back about 100-120€ and then you have get a seat as well.
    How much did the PVC pipe cost? I would have expected the pipes and other bits to be around €20 -€40.

I was thinking the same that it would be cheap but its the t connectors that kill the price, there is so many of them. And I didnt really shop around anything.

• Advertisement

I was thinking the same that it would be cheap but its the t connectors that kill the price, there is so many of them. And I didnt really shop around anything.
    I suppose, at €2-3 it accounts for half your cost. I'm sure you could get them cheaper from the right plumber supplier, you'd really need to have a plumber friend so he could get you them at the bulk price.

I did have a hard time finding any plumber that had 2 inch PVC, in the end I had to buy 1,5 inch and it just is not as good. It is still really nice but it would have been just that little bit better with 2 inch PVC if you know what I mean =)

Server: Kotten
    Password: rf2

TS Server: 83.254.93.155

All up and running now =)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 350 ✭✭CRM Ireland

I was on the GTPlanet forums too and I started building a wooden rig in the last few days. Ive still got a fair bit to do, but Im hindered by the fact I have not found a seat yet. Ive also looked at all the second hand sites and not found one at the price I would like. I will be patient for a little while longer, after that I will just get any seat as I really want to complete this and start racing!

tools.jpgmetalbracejoint.jpgpedalsfacingsrotated.jpgdewaltcuttingwood.jpg
    endofdaytwo.jpg

I painted most of it tonight, but I didnt take any photos as it was late when I finished and it was still wet. I will get the seat and then get everything finished before I give it a second coat and that will be me having built the first thing ever in my life! I had no idea how to use the tools in my garage, I just rent the place from a builder who emigrated to Australia. Luckily YouTube can teach a lot!

So far the entire build hasnt cost me 1c because all parts were in the garage, but Ive ran out of bolts/screws and I need to buy a chair. Its not going to cost me all that much though.

Hi, I cannot find in profile --what part of country you are from. PM me with approx location and I will try and find a seat. When I was looking for myself ,I found a good few but a lot were too far from me.I got a decent one in Bandon Cork .
    BTW- some nice craftsmanship with the rig.

@CRM Ireland: I am liking what you have done so far. That rigs reminds me a bit of Cillicokes steel frame rig. What kind of seat you looking for? Adverts.ie has many seats. There is loads of seats there for 20-40€ and some ok bucket seats for around 100€.

Here is a couple:
    http://www.adverts.ie/car-parts-accessories/bucket-seat/1424229

http://www.adverts.ie/car-parts-accessories/cobra-bucket-seats/1452172

http://www.adverts.ie/car-parts-accessories/bucket-seat/1301141

I live in Clogherhead, just slightly further north than Drogheda, Co. Louth.

@c0rn3y I actually saw every single one of those seats last night. I was up until nearly 5am looking at Adverts, DoneDeal, BuyandSell, Gumtree and Ebay.

The grey FK seat has no rails. I really need to be able to slide the seat back and forth. Im 6'3 so if I set it in position for myself, no-one else would be able to reach the pedals!

There were a few lovely seats I saw, and I even spoke to some of the sellers, but they were not willing to split. They were far too expensive to buy as a pair. I will keep looking though, Im positive I will find one this week.

Thanks for the advice and compliments.

Ive cut out a small section for the gear selector to fit in. I will paint and attach the other piece of wood to clamp the gear selector to. Its not actually screwed in here, its just wedged in a bit.

This is the first coat of paint Ive applied and Im concerned its not tough enough. You can see the damage I done to the first coat when I used the jigsaw to cut out the grooves. Its darkened the paint quite a bit.

gearselectorcutout.jpg

awesome stuff CRM Ireland keep posting pic's

• Advertisement

Still haven't got around to building a new rig. Think its down to the fact that I am not sure what I want. Done so many different designs in sketchup and I finally think that I have it. I want to make my own sequential gear shifter, H shifter, handbrake and pedals and have been saving for this a good while (Squidwert I am coming for those parts hehe). Anyways here are some of the first drafts of the new design (based a bit on cillicoke's rig), please say if there is anything that should be changed or so.. honesty is good =)

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Advertisement