Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any racing rigs/setups around?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭katana1

Thanks..I will have to put a few euro to the side to get one-Wife thinks I'm nuts playing these sim games at my age--gettin' " the boys never grow up B.S." LOL.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

katana1 wrote: »
    Thanks..I will have to put a few euro to the side to get one-Wife thinks I'm nuts playing these sim games at my age--gettin' " the boys never grow up B.S." LOL.:D
    Does she still play with make up? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭c0rn3y

katana1 thanks man, I cannot take the credit for the idea of using PVC thought. It was a guy called SIMUL8R that came up with the idea and then I found this LINK that gives you loads of details. You can see that I changed the design a bit to fit my needs and I used smaller PVC tubing (could not find anything else).

When I get home I will post some links to different places where you can find cheap bucket seats that are replicas and not FIA approved, but who cares? Hehe it is not like you will crash and burn when sitting on you sim (I hope hehe).

Thanks for that link. I am going to try this and if I get it right I am going to save a lot of space in the room.i have a logitech momo--not a bad wheel but if your turning a lot of corners the motors lock up to one side.The G27 is the one I want but they are still big money.I rang a local car scrap dealer and he hasn't any decent seats but he said there is a written off civic coming in next week and it has recaro seats..He reckons around fifty euro if i take it out myself,.
    I should be able to do the tubing as I worked as a metal fabricator as an a apprentice and about 4 years after --then it was building machines in a r&d section of an American company.
    Again Thanks and sorry for rabbiting on. :)

ScumLord wrote: »
    Does she still play with make up? :pac:

Lol-- yes and still has those bloody "cuddly bears" that do my head in every time I go into the bedroom.I'd love to give them to my dog :D

• Advertisement

Hey katana1 I know that overclockers have the G27 for 199 pounds + shipping and that is pretty good I have to say. Here is one for 140€ on adverts.ie. Loads of good deals if you look around =)

OOO so I don't forget about the seats as well. HERE you can find ok prices on replica seats. I have nothing to do with any of the companies just trying to get more people into sim racing =)

I have a cheap ARC welder at home if that could help you make a rig. Should maybe get together a couple of us and make some rigs and sell, I have LOADS of ideas =)

Thanks for the links,The down side for me is I'm out for a long while on the sick as I did a bit of damage to my back and neck (Discs).I'm fairly laid up at present and down a lot of money as not working.
    I'm just after buying an ASUS GTX550Ti card and a secondhand Q9550 processor.(I know the new gen are better but I didn't want to change MB and have to install new OS).I have almost everything tool related that a workshop would have (Aldi & lidl are great ).
    I am also looking at a desk and racing rig combo --That's why I only modified my desk a bit and kept the chair separate.
    It's great to meet people that are also into this--I met a few online , I was on LFS--" AKM" racing team .But agreed to be an admin' I didn't like so I gradually parted company with them.I hated having to kick people for messing as you would meet them on other LFS servers and a lot of them would ruin your race on purpose.
    I'm Rabbiting on again:o.
    Do you have any sketches of your ideas?
    If so I would love to see them.

BTW-just put a bid on the link for the G27 on ad's .ie. But I think it may be sold --fingers crossed its still there.

Hehe most of my ideas are on sketchup and I am not sure if I have shared them, will take a look tonight.

Back and disc issues, sounds bad man brrrrr.

Yeah I got most of my stuff from Adli and Lidl as well hehe.

Hey all,

Thought it would be good to share some of my Google Sketchup stuff. Would be cool to start sharing stuff and ideas we have.

Anyways here is a LINK to my stuff in the 3D warehouse.

Don't laugh to much hehe, I am still learning how to use Sketchup.

ScumLord wrote: »
    You could try http://www.partfinder.ie/ I'm sure there are a few boy racer cars in the scrapyards.

How do you manage with the swivel office chair? I can't use one for driving I keep pushing myself away from the desk and have to use a normal kitchen table chair.
    I took the castors off and made lugs so the chair sits in these and they are in turn screwed onto a 30inch diameter piece of 3/4 inch painted ply.

• Advertisement

I have been looking for a while for a bucket seat that I could afford.I tried all add sites and most sellers wouldn't sell one.I asked a few guys in Dublin if they would wrap seats for courier but none were willing.By luck I found an add for a car in bandon and I bought a new bucket seat (As car packed up) with rails for 50 euro.Its a "RACTIVE" probably not the most expensive but its comfy to sit on.
    I tried a couple of G27's on eBay but was outbid.I have to put away another few euro over a few weeks.
    Next is the making of the rig--To be honest I am looking forward to it.....If only the crappy weather cleared.
    I would love us all to meet on say LFS sometime on an empty server for a bit of a craic????LFS is a one off 35 euro for life.
    Haven't been on for nearly a year but most are super serious about the racing.

I would easy be up for a night on LFS even though I have not tried it in ages =)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

katana1 wrote: »
    I have been looking for a while for a bucket seat that I could afford.I tried all add sites and most sellers wouldn't sell one.I asked a few guys in Dublin if they would wrap seats for courier but none were willing.By luck I found an add for a car in bandon and I bought a new bucket seat (As car packed up) with rails for 50 euro.Its a "RACTIVE" probably not the most expensive but its comfy to sit on.
    I tried a couple of G27's on eBay but was outbid.I have to put away another few euro over a few weeks.
    Next is the making of the rig--To be honest I am looking forward to it.....If only the crappy weather cleared.
    I would love us all to meet on say LFS sometime on an empty server for a bit of a craic????LFS is a one off 35 euro for life.
    Haven't been on for nearly a year but most are super serious about the racing.

CEX in dublin city center has a g27 for 200 notes used...

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Squidwert

You can get a new one from logitech cheaper than that. just tell them your other logitech wheel has broke and what discount can you get.

Yeah I head the best thing to say is that your FFB is broken and that it started spinning really fast while you where driving and really hurt your hands.

Pdfile wrote: »
    CEX in dublin city center has a g27 for 200 notes used...
    Hi,
    I finally got a bucket from donedeal(Had to go to Bandon). Its an unused "RACTIVE" and cost 50 euro.I have my momo wheel apart as there was a bit of play in it ,my (now)sweet wife saw this and with my sons help they have got me a G27 as a suprise . (Still awaiting delivery).I got an old railing from the council guys and it was made from 40 mm box section --it also has 25 mm flat and the rail is 10mm square bar. I will cut this up (Although its galvanised-and will be hell to weld) and try make a rig . If anyone is interested I will put up pic's as I go along.If this works I can post the drawings and sketches to anyone that's interested.
    I have no set up at moment as the momo is still apart (but I can fix it) and I need some materials from old set up.
    I am held up with weather as I need the shed for ride on mower.
    this is annoying as I just got F12010 from amazon for £3.98 +P&P which came to under a tenner.A lot less than steam.(They still have them for that price).
    Back to the wheel --they got it on Komplett.ie for E-233 with P&P included.I think thats the cheapest at moment.
    Hope fully I will get aroud 30 euro for momo (I am not selling it unless its perfect)on ads or donedeal.That will cover paint for rig.
    Again thanks for reply and apologies for rabbiting on a bit.:)

katana1, post pictures as you build man, always great fun to look at building logs =)

Anybody know where I can find box section steel for a good price? I have been looking a bit but as I am not from here I don't really have any idea where to go. I find loads of places online but most show you what they have but no prices. Would be nice to be able to calculate how much it is going to cost before I actually go there to buy some hehe.

I think this is what I will make, not that super cool to look at and seat area is not completed yet but I am getting there hehe. I need my rig to work both as a rig and as a desk. Kinda makes my options very limited. You can see both with desk deck and with wheel deck below. I am hoping to get my self a triple monitor setup but if I can't I have made sure that I can have a large screen there as well. The rig should be very adjustable (I hope).

Please tell me what you think of the rig and the design and any ideas you may have. I can take hard criticism so don't be shy =)

back.jpg

front.jpg

side.jpg

front-keyboard.jpg

side-keyboard.jpg

top-keyboard.jpg

side32.jpg

And sorry for soooo many pictures =)

@katana1 Post pic's it is always good to see what other peeps are designing

and c0rn3y awesome design
    I+APPROVE+_483f6f2626078a508e07324c5408a602.jpg

Squidwert: you have built some rigs now I guess. You think that it will work with that design? Im still not sure about the seat area yet and need somewhere to mount my keyboard when I have the "wheel deck" mounted, a gear shift mount and a custom hand break (when ever I make one).

I have cut and welded the box section for the base and used part of the rail for seat support.I will weld some flat bar to the 10mm square where the seat goes and have lugs on them to bolt the seat on.
    This is what I have so far.The only curse wasthat the railings had galvanise on them so I was poisened when welding.I decided to take it all off the surface as the paint wouldn't take to it well.I will post more when I can get a bit done between showers.
    I dont think its going to be as good as the one in your sketches (which are sweet) but limited talent here lol.

• Advertisement

This is the Bucket seat I got ---seat is excellent ,the rails that are on it need a lick of paint as there off his old seat.I had to go to Bandon but they were big money everywhere for a clean one.Also no sellers were willing to wrap for courier and no one would sell me just the one .I was lucky to find this guy.

c0rn3y wrote: »
    Squidwert: you have built some rigs now I guess. You think that it will work with that design? Im still not sure about the seat area yet and need somewhere to mount my keyboard when I have the "wheel deck" mounted, a gear shift mount and a custom hand break (when ever I make one).

It's a great looking rig thou what i would change is the wheel mount holes. the one's i marked with the 1 would not be needed they are probably better where the 2 is so you can move the wheel mount up and down aswell as at the angle. It looks good but you mite need a way of adjusting the angle of the pedals and you mite need to fit a foot plate. Its all trail and error anyways you can only see things that are wrong when you have done them. I would be very happy with what you are making. Keep up the good work and post some pis's ;)
    lol this one mite give you a few idea's (mite be a little bit over done)
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=167656

rigk.jpg

katana1: Hey I wouldn't say you have limited talent man, your welds are looking good and clean. The bit that you have done a close up on in the second picture that looks to be behind the seat area, what is that for? Just curious =)

Squidwert: I really like the idea you had there on the "number 2", if I put holes down that way I could still adjust the angle. I was thinking that a quick release from a bike wheel would work instead of bolts. Would make it very easy and fast to remove the "wheel deck" when needed. I have been think A LOT about the pedal area and it seems to me that it would be better to have something like your CTS pedals where I adjust the pedals the way I want them and it does not effect the rig its self. And that rig on bit-tech is just insane to be honest. The details on his CNC stuff makes me want to marry him (don't tell my wife hehe).

Now I just have to find Box Section somewhere close to Dublin 15. And somewhere I can get a seat rail for my Sparco seat =)

Hi , The bit behind the seat area is wider than frame which is around 530mm --These angles brought it out another 100mm or so on each side for two reasons....The first was stability as I saw that online frames are usually a bit wider.
    The second is I want to put speakers behind and had to be wider than seat.I will use some of the 10mm square and try make a holder out of something.

I suppose I went to the trouble of all the angles for to look a bit better than just a straight piece with end caps.
    The Idea of the quick release fron bike wheel is a very good one.I may even have a couple somewhere as I raced a years ago.

As regards the box section -- put up an add in local shops etc, Ask the council lads.I used the 40mm as it was on the railing but if you type "Racing sim " into google images you'll see ones made of 25mm box that look real nice.Even if you get smaller lengths --Box is easy to join if you have a pice of angle iron and a couple of clamps.BTW I am "Borrowing " a couple of ideas from the drawings --if thats ok?
    Hope this helps and sorry for going' on a bit.:o

katana1: Use anything from my drawings that you find is good to use, no need for asking at all hehe. Yeah good idea about putting up a ad in the local shop, think that is what I will do for sure. Maybe even put a wanted ad in adverts.ie.

Ahh makes more sens now about the angles at the back there and it does add a bit for "flare" to the rig hehe, that is missing from my drawings. You use to race? Same here about 20 years ago (brr that made me feel old hehe).

Re the racing --about 24 years ago for me.I'm an oldie lol.( but your as young as the missus lets you feel)
    I was just looking at what steel I have left myself and I wont have enough. Time for to go looking again as I need about 4 meters to finish.Or else re think the plan.
    That's if the rain ever stops.
    If I get any decent progress I will Put up a pic'.

squidwert--Thanks for the drawing --I am struggling a bit with what I'm going to do about having the choice of angles with pedals and wheel.Thats a good idea.

For steel just go to an local industrial estate to find an engineering company they would have would have lots of steel in full lengths and off cuts.

Good idea there Squidwert, I am going to check today =)

Got my self a new job yesterday as well so now I should have a bit more money to spend on my racing stuff I hope hehe.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

This thread deserves to be made a sticky, consider it done.
    Its great to see new life around here :)

Off Topic somewhat , My G25 shifter paddles are fcuked, they engage but get stuck and dont disengage so shifting through gears doesnt work, it just gets stuck in gear and i have to push them in the opposite direction after eash shift to manually disengage, this means for every 5 shifts up i have to push the same paddle forward 5 times too, soo annoying and totally unplayable, ive took it apart and tried everything but no joy.
    F1 sims are a no go for me now,ofcourse i can use the gear shifter but its nowhere near as effective as paddles.
    Its not an issue with slower cars as i normally play with whatever configuration the realife config is.

• Advertisement

My m8 had this happen and replaced the microswitches on his wheel. I think it was something like this that he used.

Advertisement