Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day - Part II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭andyseadog

thats the fun gone out of the 7'er then :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Nonsense -- repairs, fixes and customisations are part of the game. How many bangernomics don't need work during ownership, no matter how long the NCT?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

dahamsta wrote: »
    Nonsense -- repairs, fixes and customisations are part of the game. How many bangernomics don't need work during ownership, no matter how long the NCT?

Quite a few I'd say.

I suppose there's a few out there wouldn't try running repairs, but unless it was more than the car was worth, I'd always have a go - I did most of the small jobs myself on my own 7 - and that certainly ain't the case with that 7 imho. I'd say if you offered him 800 for it he'd tear the hand off you, and you'd be getting a bargain at that.

I sometimes wonder if people actually think that all used car sellers expect to get every penny of their asking price. The amount of yer-cars-not-worth-that-laaad on Adverts.ie in particular is ridiculous. Most of them ignorant muppets that don't know their arse from their elbow.

(This isn't a reference to the above, simply a related rant.)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

The tax in this country ruins the joys of owning a 740. Buy the car for 1,000 eu, tax it for a year and it now stands you €2,600 before you even sit inside it.

it's just a licence to throw away money. That said if you don't drink/smoke/have kids etc. work away.

• Advertisement

I drink and have kids. ;)

EDIT: To be fair, I mostly drink at home, and I'm selling my 7. But I have zero regrets for the €2.5k+ I spent on tax*. None. It was an absolutely fab car, and I can't wait for my next barge in about 2 years time, assuming business settles down a little.

Driving / car ownership is one of my main hobbies, I have no problem throwing money at it when I can. People throw a lot more at a lot stupider.

* Which isn't to say I don't think it should be cheaper on older used cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Driving / car ownership is one of my main hobbies, I have no problem throwing money at it when I can. People throw a lot more at a lot stupider.

Pretty much exactly my opinion. I don't smoke, drink a negligible amount and have no kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

mickdw wrote: »
    Pretty much exactly my opinion. I don't smoke, drink a negligible amount and have no kids.

Yep exactly, I don't drink much or smoke but smoking 40 cigarettes a week costs about 20 quid. If you were to add two pints to that in the local you're looking at €30 a week. Not doing that would pay the road tax for the year on a 740i.

I know what I'd rather spend the money on...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

i drink and occasionally smoke, i'm sure i could give up and spend that 30 euro a week on the tax, but i'd rather be out, enjoying my youth. Plenty of time to not drink in a few years.

Anywho, a topic for another thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

i drink and occasionally smoke, i'm sure i could give up and spend that 30 euro a week on the tax, but i'd rather be out, enjoying my youth. Plenty of time to not drink in a few years.

Anywho, a topic for another thread.

Very true. Considering you have already ticked the Jaguar off your old man car list you have even more time when you are older. :D

• Advertisement

I'm 40, I've done my big drinking, and sports bore the hole off me. Ye stick with motoring, I'm going driving. :)

..... Adverts.ie in particular is ridiculous. Most of them ignorant muppets that don't know their arse from their elbow.

(This isn't a reference to the above, simply a related rant.)

indeed, I was amazed when they started charging for it, I wouldn't bother even using the free credit.

I have my car up there, can't se the harm and I actually think they've built out one of the better interfaces, but the fee really has decimated used cars on the site. They're going to have to come up with another strategy if they want to continue accepting car ads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭barura

Service history and NCT til next jan. 375.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3382236

View2?id=11785027

And a clio for 200 with tax for a month and test til next year.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3382085

View2-11784266.jpeg

In before people start f'n and blinding about the cars not being 500 euro saloons. :pac:

I drove one of those Colts for a year or two, twas a grand car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭barura

Nothing compared to your 740!

On that note, 1250, years NCT on it, black leather:

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3347627

View2-11614702.jpeg

Bangernomic Limos? http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/3337051

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I have my car up there, can't se the harm and I actually think they've built out one of the better interfaces, but the fee really has decimated used cars on the site. They're going to have to come up with another strategy if they want to continue accepting car ads.

Agreed, bad form displaying adsense ads in paid for ads too.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

barura wrote: »
    Nothing compared to your 740!

On that note, 1250, years NCT on it, black leather:

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3347627

View2-11614702.jpeg

Bangernomic Limos? http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/3337051

he needs waaaaay better pics for me to pay attention to it.

btw, not many 740i left on donedeal! did someone finaly discovered these bargains or they all go to uk?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

166man wrote: »
    Yep exactly, I don't drink much or smoke but smoking 40 cigarettes a week costs about 20 quid. If you were to add two pints to that in the local you're looking at €30 a week. Not doing that would pay the road tax for the year on a 740i.

I know what I'd rather spend the money on...:D

€30 on fags and booze a week has sfa to do with paying €1200 a year on tax for a car worth €1000.
    If you are tight enough to cut expenditure to the tune of €30 a week, on whatever (not just booze of fags), don't you think that its too much money to pay on tax?
    TBH, I'm tired of the "if I give up fags and booze" argument. Its money you wont enjoy - tax.
    At least you can enjoy fags and booze (for some) and big engined cars (in other countries) but the tax here is just beyond daft. Its retarded. And, the catch 22 is that if I could afford the tax, i would have a newer, nicer car so the whole bangernomics argument is finely balanced on a financial edge when it comes to a 740 or the likes.
    Unfortunately, tax is a real off putting aspect, whether you drink, smoke, hill walk, climb rocks, run marathons or smoke crack.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3384057

Seicento for buttons. 6 months tax, 1 years NCT. Absolute Bargain!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

That is the absolutely best example of bangernomics ever witnessed ever in the history of the universe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Wow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

Fantastic find .....:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Jimdagym wrote: »
    That is the absolutely best example of bangernomics ever witnessed ever in the history of the universe.

If you don't mind using your knees as the crumple zone :p

..all joking aside...ideal first car for someone.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

I love his ad, "i have no space need gone" with a picture of a massive driveway.

And a car that you could fit in a shoebox.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

cadaliac wrote: »
    €30 on fags and booze a week has sfa to do with paying €1200 a year on tax for a car worth €1000.

If you are tight enough to cut expenditure to the tune of €30 a week, on whatever (not just booze of fags), don't you think that its too much money to pay on tax?
    TBH, I'm tired of the "if I give up fags and booze" argument. Its money you wont enjoy - tax.
    At least you can enjoy fags and booze (for some) and big engined cars (in other countries) but the tax here is just beyond daft. Its retarded. And, the catch 22 is that if I could afford the tax, i would have a newer, nicer car so the whole bangernomics argument is finely balanced on a financial edge when it comes to a 740 or the likes.
    Unfortunately, tax is a real off putting aspect, whether you drink, smoke, hill walk, climb rocks, run marathons or smoke crack.

Well it does actually because I'd have no problem cutting a few pints out of my week in order to have a car I have been dreaming about for years. I don't need alchohol in order to have a laugh but each to their own. :)

The tax rate might be crazy in this country and you're right it is money you won't enjoy, but as a huge car fan it's money that enables you to enjoy a really special car, that is a 740 or Alfa V6.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Well it does actually because I'd have no problem cutting a few pints out of my week in order to have a car I have been dreaming about for years. I don't need alchohol in order to have a laugh but each to their own. :)

The tax rate might be crazy in this country and you're right it is money you won't enjoy, but as a huge car fan it's money that enables you to enjoy a really special car, that is a 740 or Alfa V6.

I think the point cadilac is making is that go ahead and make cutbacks for the car you want, but to do it merely to tax the car you want is joyless.

The tax on a €1200 ish 740i is looney relative to the car's value, €1600+/annum, most folks willing to spend €1600+ on tax would need to earn €3000 to pay that €1600. All well and good saying the car is priced accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

granted..but you'd want to be racking up the mileage to get your monies worth.

I done 5000mls in the mr2 last year and it sickens me handing over 660 for this.:mad: Its a total inept system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Insurance is still over €3500 on that for me with AXA :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement