Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert '11/'12 Off-Topic 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Siobhnk

Patchy~ wrote: »
    440ish as far as I remember (I should really know this haha), its languages in UCD, but I can do pretty much the exact same thing through arts, and I'm even considering just doing arts (which is 355ish) so I'm not limited to languages in case I develop an interest in other things over summer. I can definitely get it without HL maths but I've had a dream of getting over 500 points since 5th year, and to not get 500 I'd have to drop at least 30 points from my mocks, which'd be pretty embarrassing :o

I'm in the same position except I probably dont need the points. But can you imagine the horror of opening the exam, and not being able to do loads of it :eek: And then hoping P2 will save you...but it only makes it worse? Not even trying to scare you, this is just a recurrent thought of mine, its absolutely terrifying ;_;

MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:I'm so scared :( Ok I think I'll drop now, I want to actually be able to go to college next year :/ I had enough points from the mocks, and I failed maths so I couldn't count it. But then MY EGO will be broken :/ I do ordinary French as well you see :( I'd still have my 6 honours though... Ah there's so many thoughts going around in my head :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

If you're not confident you'll pass HL Maths, then it's better to be safe than sorry and go down to Ordinary.

Or work your arse off for the next few weeks in HL Maths and garner a pass.

I dropped down to ordinary early this year and it's the best thing I've done, it frees up a lot of stress because I think HL Maths is pretty tough. So I'm down to 6 honours and 1 ordinary.

Patchy... Look how easy this sounds!!! In comparison to HL :/http://www.rte.ie/exams/mathsnotes/ordinarypaper.pdf

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

Siobhnk wrote: »
    MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:I'm so scared :( Ok I think I'll drop now, I want to actually be able to go to college next year :/ I had enough points from the mocks, and I failed maths so I couldn't count it. But then MY EGO will be broken :/ I do ordinary French as well you see :( I'd still have my 6 honours though... Ah there's so many thoughts going around in my head :(
    Ugh thats exactly what I'm thinking!! But which would break your ego more - missing out on college, or pass maths, which you'd probably do well in? If I didnt count maths in my mocks (i.e. counted my next best subject which was business) I only lost 15 points, because half the maths points are wasted on me trying to get it into my top 6 :L I got a C3 in the mock but I dont feel comfortable with HL...some days I do, then days like today I hate it :(

6 honours is great though! I do 7 atm so I'd still have 6 too, my history teacher asked me why I bother doing all higher, didnt have the heart to tell him I cant do his subject :P At the end of the day 6 honours is still a great achievement :)

I keep telling myself I can do HL but failing would pretty much ruin my life, especially when I know I can pass OL :(

Ugh thats exactly what I'm thinking!! But which would break your ego more - missing out on college, or pass maths, which you'd probably do well in? If I didnt count maths in my mocks (i.e. counted my next best subject which was business) I only lost 15 points, because half the maths points are wasted on me trying to get it into my top 6 :L I got a C3 in the mock but I dont feel comfortable with HL...some days I do, then days like today I hate it :(

6 honours is great though! I do 7 atm so I'd still have 6 too, my history teacher asked me why I bother doing all higher, didnt have the heart to tell him I cant do his subject :P At the end of the day 6 honours is still a great achievement :)

I keep telling myself I can do HL but failing would pretty much ruin my life, especially when I know I can pass OL :(
    Yeah if I had passed maths, it would have brought me up about 5 or 10 points, could be the difference between getting your course or not, but still failing would be heartbreaking :/ I wouldn't repeat, and sitting around all year waiting to re take a stupid maths exam would kill me :/ I was kinda hoping not to have to count Irish as I'm useless at it, but sure I may keep the head down now!!

• Advertisement

Yeah if I had passed maths, it would have brought me up about 5 or 10 points, could be the difference between getting your course or not, but still failing would be heartbreaking :/ I wouldn't repeat, and sitting around all year waiting to re take a stupid maths exam would kill me :/ I was kinda hoping not to have to count Irish as I'm useless at it, but sure I may keep the head down now!!
    True, but if you were able to focus more on other subjects to bring them up just one grade each that'd be thirty more points rather than 5 or 10! Of course not every subject will go up but theres always the possibility :) Failing would really crush me, and seeing all my friends go to college and knowing it was my ego that stopped me going...oh god. But sure everyone forgets about the LC once you're in college so meh! thats like me with history but if we were in OL maths we'd probably have the time to do it, and I'd definitely be more at ease :') Ah well, time will tell :D

True, but if you were able to focus more on other subjects to bring them up just one grade each that'd be thirty more points rather than 5 or 10! Of course not every subject will go up but theres always the possibility :) Failing would really crush me, and seeing all my friends go to college and knowing it was my ego that stopped me going...oh god. But sure everyone forgets about the LC once you're in college so meh! thats like me with history but if we were in OL maths we'd probably have the time to do it, and I'd definitely be more at ease :') Ah well, time will tell :D

True! I'll be heartbroken knowing I didn't get into UCD because I was too stubborn to drop down! Right I'll have another chat with the mother and teacher... Ugh I hate the Leaving Cert!

True! I'll be heartbroken knowing I didn't get into UCD because I was too stubborn to drop down! Right I'll have another chat with the mother and teacher... Ugh I hate the Leaving Cert!
    Arghhh same I guess! My teacher and my dad both think I'm capable of it, but my dad said he'd hate to pressure me but thinks I should keep it up. I started to argue against that and my sister turned around and backed him up, but at the end of the day if I fail I fail :eek:
    Stress of maths, if it weren't for the +25 I'd know where I belong! :L

Oh I forgot about the extra points for Higher maths.

Here's what I think, if you don't need a really high amount for your course, then go down to ordinary, it'll remove a lot of stress and allow you more time on your other subjects.

Arghhh same I guess! My teacher and my dad both think I'm capable of it, but my dad said he'd hate to pressure me but thinks I should keep it up. I started to argue against that and my sister turned around and backed him up, but at the end of the day if I fail I fail :eek:
    Stress of maths, if it weren't for the +25 I'd know where I belong! :L

I know, I actually wish that they hadn't been introduced :/

• Advertisement

I suppose you're right, I could really do without the stress, and it'd be nice to know going into the exam that I'll end up doing well. But I've stuck at it for so long. :( I guess I'll ask my teacher and see what he thinks, but I'm leaning towards OL again :L

Thank you guys for your wise words of wisdom :P

And same Siobhan, there'll be a lot of people failing who should've been in OL. I think the best idea would be let people do HL and OL, if I was allowed to do both I'd be doing Higher no problem :pac:

I think I'm better off spending rest of study time in the liabary, haven't done any study in the last 2 days, can't do anything productive at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

I suppose you're right, I could really do without the stress, and it'd be nice to know going into the exam that I'll end up doing well. But I've stuck at it for so long. :( I guess I'll ask my teacher and see what he thinks, but I'm leaning towards OL again :L

Thank you guys for your wise words of wisdom :P

And same Siobhan, there'll be a lot of people failing who should've been in OL. I think the best idea would be let people do HL and OL, if I was allowed to do both I'd be doing Higher no problem :pac:

I say stick with it :) They don't want people failing as it will reflect badly on their magnificent new syllabus. Then again I'm not too bothered if I have to repeat :L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

440ish as far as I remember (I should really know this haha), its languages in UCD, but I can do pretty much the exact same thing through arts, and I'm even considering just doing arts (which is 355ish) so I'm not limited to languages in case I develop an interest in other things over summer. I can definitely get it without HL maths but I've had a dream of getting over 500 points since 5th year, and to not get 500 I'd have to drop at least 30 points from my mocks, which'd be pretty embarrassing :o

Is that International Languages? I have that like fifth (can't remember the order of my CAO, lawl), which languages do you want to do?

I say stick with it :) They don't want people failing as it will reflect badly on their magnificent new syllabus. Then again I'm not too bothered if I have to repeat :L
    But someone has to fail :P Its more the idea of failing tbh, I could probably pass but if I failed I think I'd die D:
    Namlub wrote: »
    Is that International Languages? I have that like fifth (can't remember the order of my CAO, lawl), which languages do you want to do?
    Yep, its first on my CAO :) I want to do French and maybe pick up Spanish - thought about German for a while because I'd love to speak it but it looks impossible :L What ones would you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

But someone has to fail :P Its more the idea of failing tbh, I could probably pass but if I failed I think I'd die D:

I know the feeling "/ Go with what your comfortable with!

I asked my dad and he got angry and said I'd do badly in OL with how late it is in the year and that I apparently know that :rolleyes: So now idk what I'm more comfortable with, and he said hes calling my teacher. Fun. :pac:

Might stick with it but sure I guess theres no harm doing OL :)

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭SlyBacon93

Wesc. wrote: »
    That is actually one of the moments heart-sickening moments I've ever experienced :(:(:( 2 goal in 3 ****ing minutes ffs :(
    Unlucky man, maybe next year.... Actually I can't say much I support arsenal

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

SlyBacon93 wrote: »
    Unlucky man, maybe next year.... Actually I can't say much I support arsenal

What's wrong with Arsenal? :P They're one of the few teams who haven't spent loads (unlike those scumbags) to get where they are which is a respectable 3rd! But yeah with a decent centre mid next season and less injuries (which I'm sure you're used to too!) I think united have every chance! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

So distraught after today's results:(
    Arsenal are a team I respect hugely, 3rd is a great finish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Has anybody else just completely hit a brick wall? I'm completely wrecked. This better clear up by the time we get off I need those 2 weeks to work :/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Got a good bit of geography the human section done I only have historic settlements and migration left to do now :). I managed to shorten the notes down.
    I really need to start doing more maths papers I keep putting maths off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Got a good bit of geography the human section done I only have historic settlements and migration left to do now :). I managed to shorten the notes down.
    I really need to start doing more maths papers I keep putting maths off.

I am the same with maths :P Due to maths being my ordinary level subject I always forget to study it :/ Got a C3 in the mocks by doing nothing so I think at this point I am up to B3 standard. I dont need it for points obviously so just passing it is grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭lcstress2012

The past few weeks I have not got the motivation to study! I need some advice on how to study and get a good grade in biology history and Maths , Maths is my worst so how would I be able to get at least a C in this? Also for my history research report I done 580 words ordinary level and have it signed and everything. Would it make a difference in the overall grade if I do higher in the LC ?? These past few weeks I have really wanted up do higher. Also I do music which is my best and have a week off before the exam and was thinking of just leaving music study til then, what do you think ? I want to do music in college and need 380 points and it's not looking gud only got 310 in the mocks So please can you give me tips and advice on how to succeed, I really don't want to repeat !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Yep, its first on my CAO :) I want to do French and maybe pick up Spanish - thought about German for a while because I'd love to speak it but it looks impossible :L What ones would you do?

Pft, German's deadly :cool:

I'm also a bit worried about maths. I got 39% in the mock, but I'm stubborn so I'm staying at higher level. I've been working my arse off, I did another mock paper 1 last week and got a C1 in it (only got like a D2 or something in the first paper in my real mock), which I was delighted with. But if the paper is bad on the day, I will be ****ed.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ConTheCat

I would get the bloody flu!! Forcing myself to school tomorrow and I might take Tuesday off but I did work that I want corrected!!

David1994 wrote: »
    I am the same with maths :P Due to maths being my ordinary level subject I always forget to study it :/ Got a C3 in the mocks by doing nothing so I think at this point I am up to B3 standard. I dont need it for points obviously so just passing it is grand!

I do need it for points I need a C3 I'm at borderline C/D level at the moment. I don't even know what to do in paper 2 whenever I do maths it's only paper 1. I always get frustrated with maths though. I keep focusing on mainly my higher level subjects. I haven't studied French either leaving that until a week or two before as it's just ordinary . It won't take me long to go over the written.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

ConTheCat wrote: »
    I would get the bloody flu!! Forcing myself to school tomorrow and I might take Tuesday off but I did work that I want corrected!!

Take care of yourself, get your work to a friend to hand in and spend the day in bed. Is fearr an sláinte ná an táinte.:)
    Good enthusiasm though:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

I do need it for points I need a C3 I'm at borderline C/D level at the moment. I don't even know what to do in paper 2 whenever I do maths it's only paper 1. I always get frustrated with maths though. I keep focusing on mainly my higher level subjects. I haven't studied French either leaving that until a week or two before as it's just ordinary . It won't take me long to go over the written.

What parts do you find hardest?? I hate the sequences and series(never know which formula to use!!) and the trigonometry and geometry on paper 2 :P
    I love complex numbers :D

• Advertisement

David1994 wrote: »
    What parts do you find hardest?? I hate the sequences and series(never know which formula to use!!) and the trigonometry and geometry on paper 2 :P
    I love complex numbers :D

I don't know it's just weird the paper I can't always tell if I'm right or not . Or the question is really odd and there isn't a definite answer . I kind of like trigonometry the construction part I got grinds for maths but that was a few weeks ago I'm not sure if I can still do that part. My grind isn't doing sequences & series a week or two before the exam said I can pick it up easily.
    I get a bit confused on the circle question, I haven't really looked at paper 2 in a while though. Are the sequence and series formulas in the table book?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement