Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Avengers (2012) *spoilers from post 1181*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭icarus86

krudler wrote: »
    yeah because in a film with a giant green rage monster, two Norse gods on earth, a man in a self made metal suit capable of flight and a guy unfrozen from the 40s who is a genetically engineered super solider, its all about the aerodynamics.

Thats pretty much exactly what i said to him!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

People can be weird like that. I remember watching Planet Terror with a friend who remarked how it was unrealistic that the chick never had to reload. He didn't seem to notice that replacing one's leg with a gun that can be fired without the use of a trigger mechanism wasn't all that grounded in reality either...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

My favourite is when the film or video game is realistic but because it doesn't confirm to people's misconceptions of reality they think it's unrealistic. In GTA IV lots of people complained about how shooting the fuel tanks wouldn't cause the car to ignite and blow up!

I keep telling people who expect to see realism in movies that when they see it they simply won't accept it anyway. I've yet to see a film that followed the laws the physics from our universe.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭icarus86

You would think those people would just enjoy the film for what it is, i dont think you would even need to be much of a marvel fan to enjoy the Avengers movie.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

Jernal wrote: »
    My favourite is when the film or video game is realistic but because it doesn't confirm to people's misconceptions of reality they think it's unrealistic. In GTA IV lots of people complained about how shooting the fuel tanks wouldn't cause the car to ignite and blow up!

I keep telling people who expect to see realism in movies that when they see it they simply won't accept it anyway. I've yet to see a film that followed the laws the physics from our universe.

2001? I think followed the laws of physics pretty closely

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I think with regards to anything related to comic books, the right answer to these kayfabe questions is "because it's awesome" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,672 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

2001? I think followed the laws of physics pretty closely
    When he shot himself across the vacuum of space, I still question how he possibly survived that, and why his blood didn't boil, or any number of wild things that happen to your body when you suddenly expose it to vacuum from a pressurized environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Jernal wrote: »
    My favourite is when the film or video game is realistic but because it doesn't confirm to people's misconceptions of reality they think it's unrealistic.

I recall a lot of people were miffed by the soundless space battle in Serenity.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

icarus86 wrote: »
    He said the helicarrier would never fly because of aerodynamics or something and that bit where Iron Man is trying to kickstart the engines is typical hollywood, because he just managed to get out just in time.

aerodynamics? never mind weight and gravity sure... 100k+ (conservative) tonnes up in the air, lol
    I though that was stupid, what the point of a flying carrier anyway, one good hit and it goes down...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Was the new heel in the first extra scene in the credits Galactus? I don't read comic books so...
    jaykhunter wrote: »
    I think with regards to anything related to comic books, the right answer to these kayfabe questions is "because it's awesome" :)

Man you REALLY are a wrestling fan aren't ya?! ;)

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,483 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Wow, didn't see this coming! Avengers 2 in development.

http://www.rte.ie/ten/2012/0509/avengers.html

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

sheehy83 wrote: »

Let's hope they get Whedon on board... but while we're at it:
    With Marvel movie adaptations now to the fore, Avengers' director Joss Whedon - who also recently directed spooky thriller Cabin in the Woods - has announced plans to adapt The Astonishing X-Men as a novel series.
    [pedant] He didn't direct 'Cabin In The Woods'.. Drew Goddard did. He co-wrote / produced it. [/pedant]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

would never have saw that coming:eek::p:D

whedon should do the trilogy, i dunno why they didn't just announce part 3 while they were at it,

no announcement on a hulk film:(, would be cool to have 2 films each year and then every third year just an avengers film,

Disney/Marvel will nail Joss to the sequel while throwing buckets and buckets of money at him. I wonder will he take on any of the individual Marvel films or will they just want him to concentrate on The Avengers.

Anyone know if Favreau is back for Iron Man 3?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

He wont be directing it, whether he still turns up as happy is a different story

Shane Black is directing so should be interesting

If Whedon doesn't take the money and make the sequel/prequel/whatever the heck he wants to Serenity, then I think a lot of people will go all-Hulk all over his ass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Shane Black is doing IM3. I probably have more faith in him pulling it off than Favreau tbh.

He wont be directing it, whether he still turns up as happy is a different story

Shane Black is directing so should be interesting

HAHA might be awkward if they asked him to return as Hogan, I spose it depends if he left on a sour note or not.

If Whedon doesn't take the money and make the sequel/prequel/whatever the heck he wants to Serenity, then I think a lot of people will go all-Hulk all over his ass.

That would be class, but only if Wash gets brought back to life! Although I spose a prequel would fix that.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

HAHA might be awkward if they asked him to return as Hogan, I spose it depends if he left on a sour note or not.

I think he said a while ago that he'd be happy (AAHHH) to come back as Hogan. Although I could be remembering incorrectly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

well he was an EX producer on avengers so id say not, i think he walked away saying he has brought iron man as far as he can, hes a good director and did a great origin story for iron man, which helped kick off a multi billion dollar franchise, which he is now, and will be, well rewarded for doing so,

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Overheal wrote: »
    When he shot himself across the vacuum of space, I still question how he possibly survived that, and why his blood didn't boil, or any number of wild things that happen to your body when you suddenly expose it to vacuum from a pressurized environment.

That's why they put that scene in, because people imagine they are going to boil or explode or something. The pressure difference is only 1 atmosphere, you should get 15 seconds or so before you pass out, and should survive a minute or so of exposure.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

That's why they put that scene in, because people imagine they are going to boil or explode or something. The pressure difference is only 1 atmosphere, you should get 15 seconds or so before you pass out, and should survive a minute or so of exposure.

Challenge_accepted.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I wouldn't like to see Whedon tied up in Avengers films, I'll be honest. If he did a bit of a Christopher Nolan - personal project / Avengers / personal project / Avengers - it'd be grand though.

Fascinated to see how Shane Black gets on with IM3. The man is the king of obscenities, banter and scathing insults, so really curious at how he'll get on with the restrictions of PG-13 and a massive budget. He's worked wonders with RDJ before, so that's slightly encouraging. Alas, his previous experiences with high budgets haven't been particularly favourable :/

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,143 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I wouldn't like to see Whedon tied up in Avengers films, I'll be honest. If he did a bit of a Christopher Nolan - personal project / Avengers / personal project / Avengers - it'd be grand though.

Fascinated to see how Shane Black gets on with IM3. The man is the king of obscenities, banter and scathing insults, so really curious at how he'll get on with the restrictions of PG-13 and a massive budget. He's worked wonders with RDJ before, so that's slightly encouraging. Alas, his previous experiences with high budgets haven't been particularly favourable :/

I agree about Whedon, although I definitely want him to handle the next movie or two in the series then maybe hang on as a producer afterwards. With the other stand alone character movies to be made in between I'm sure he'll have plenty of wiggle room for personal projects.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang alone makes me certain Black is perfect for IM3. Lets face it, Downey's character in that is more or less what they went for with Stark anyway imho.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Kiss Kiss Bang Bang alone makes me certain Black is perfect for IM3. Lets face it, Downey's character in that is more or less what they went for with Stark anyway imho.

He was also allowed say **** considerably more than they're going to let him in IM3 :P

But sure it'll be interesting to see how he reacts under restrictive circumstances one way or t'other. I'd imagine he'll do a good job.

Plus Andy Lau. Like a boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

I wouldn't like to see Whedon tied up in Avengers films, I'll be honest. If he did a bit of a Christopher Nolan - personal project / Avengers / personal project / Avengers - it'd be grand though

Isn't he already doing something similar with Much Ado About Nothing? Seems he may be doing exactly what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭spankmaster2000

Mickeroo wrote: »

Shane Black for Avengers 2!!
    (Dependant on Iron Man 3... :p)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,143 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Shane Black for Avengers 2!!
    (Dependant on Iron Man 3... :p)

Maybe Riggs & Murtagh could be the new members of the team, either that or re-cast IM & War Machine as Gibson & Glover :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

One of the film's highlights, if not the greatest scene, recreated in Lego:

http://ka-go.net/blog/seen/puny-god/

Advertisement