Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you are pregnant , don't bother with MY school

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Cabaal wrote: »
    She should get some, certainly not alot....but some.

The school told her to buy a uniform and books, then told her they woudn't accept her.

This wasted her time and more importantly the parents money and was bound to cause emotional distress (since she wanted to be in the school to be with her friends).

You say stupidity of one person, perhaps but also the board of management for the school and not just once but twice. People have to see that there are reactions for the very bad decisions they make like this.

I dunno, financial remuneration seems wrong in this instance imo.Reimbursing costs yes, but to put a price on distress she suffered is a bit too much. A public apology should be issued,and a step down from the manager to a lower management role wouldn't be out of place. I don't think it should cost him his job though.

Biggins wrote: »
    Again - as far as I have read, the girl nor her mother, is NOT suing the state, the school or anyone.

Hypothetically speaking:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

staker wrote: »
    I dunno, financial remuneration seems wrong in this instance imo.Reimbursing costs yes, but to put a price on distress she suffered is a bit too much. A public apology should be issued,and a step down from the manager to a lower management role wouldn't be out of place. I don't think it should cost him his job though.

I certainly wouldn't want someone that bigoted and/or out of date, teaching my kids.
    The bigot certainly needs re-education to say the least!
    I suspect though that such efforts would be wasted upon them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

micropig wrote: »
    So, she should not have been provided with maternity leave?

I'm sure the other school she attended had other pupils there
    Mobile phones
    facebook
    meeting up....

So according to you, a child that's 'homeschooled' has no different experience to one who attends as the majority do. Am I reading you correctly there?
    micropig wrote: »
    Ok so lets ignore :
    the teenage pregnancy....(snip)..........a millionaire;)
    ..../thread

Firing in a load of issues scattergun like, topped off with an issue no-one involved has thus far raised.

A school that receives funding from the state should not be entitled to discriminate in such a fashion. Furthermore, the manner in which the childs attempt at entry was dealt with was reprehensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

Could not read the whole thread as my blood was boiling too much:mad::mad:
    Some of the comments from posters such as 'Micropig' (apt username btw) are just so ignorant. Your life is obviously just peachy and nobody has let you down or turned out not to be person you thought they were. How dare you look down your nose at single parents. You don't know the story of every single parent out there. Go and educate yourself before making ignorant, trollish comments. And fair play Ash 23 you know what you're talking about.

• Advertisement

I certainly wouldn't want someone that bigoted and/or out of date, teaching my kids.
    The bigot certainly needs re-education to say the least!
    I suspect though that such efforts would be wasted upon them.

I'd like to think he could be "re-educated" or retrained in his means of thinking, same as a recovering gambler or alcoholic would and should be afforded the opportunity to recover.
    In saying afforded,I mean the choice is there for them.

MagicSean wrote: »
    Disturbing in what way?

Aren't you being hypocritical? You seem happy enough to convict the principal without all the facts whereas I am saying we can't judge anyone.

We have a number of statements included in the report from the principal. The report is carried out by the ombudsman. Two things arise rather quickly to mind- either the principal deliberately portrayed his reasoning as following a line that was in fact unrepresentative of his position, or the Ombudsman - as you seemed to imply earlier* - has deliberatly skewed the findings of the report.

*"The Ombudsman released only the information she wanted. "
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78426166&postcount=360
    MagicSean wrote: »
    Fantasy? What an odd choice of words. There is very little in the report at all to explain why she left the other schools.

You feel free to speculate around the reported correspondence of the principal, and state that there may be more other than what he himself stated. Yet when it comes to the child in question, you take the position that a lack of evidence gives you reason for various questions. 'Don't judge the principal on his own correspondence, do wildly speculate as regards a teenage girl'.

"fantasy" is rather a kind way of putting it.

I really do find it hard to see what could lie at the root of such a contradictory approach, and such malignant speculation towards one party.

staker wrote: »
    I'd like to think he could be "re-educated" or retrained in his means of thinking, same as a recovering gambler or alcoholic would and should be afforded the opportunity to recover.
    In saying afforded,I mean the choice is there for them.

It would be nice to think it but as the person was the head of the school and (I assume) of such strong character and fortitude to eventually work his way to that position, re-education - frankly, making him kop himself on - would be hard work in the extreme!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

The best outcome would be for this idiot to lose the strangle hold he has on the school...one person having all the control is nuts, I am amazed it hasn't been challenged before now.

And an apology to the girl, he not only refused her a place but more of less destroyed her character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Robdude

Eh - I wouldn't want pregnant chicks at my school.

• Advertisement

Robdude wrote: »

Why?
    Would it put you off having too much sex as a teen?
    Maybe there SHOULD be one at every school? :cool:

Robdude wrote: »

Why? Is it infectious now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

While I bite my tongue and agree she shouldn't have been refused, you have to agree it looks nasty. I remember a girl in my year became pregnant and everyone was talking about her, it was unheard of in the school before then. A school girl walking the corridors in her school uniform with a massive baby bump?

While it was admirable and brave of her to continue her education I think she was stronger than I'd have been, the constant gossip etc. it was her choice to continue, but as a parent I think I would have taken her out and get her to repeat the year after or something. I base this on what I saw her endure in a school that treated her like she had brought shame and scandal to the school.

I dunno. It just didn't look right.

Abi wrote: »
    ...I dunno. It just didn't look right.

Thats where a good education and good educator can make a further difference then.
    To look beyond just what you see and further understand the actual whole predicament.

While I bite my tongue and agree she shouldn't have been refused, you have to agree it looks nasty. I remember a girl in my year became pregnant and everyone was talking about her, it was unheard of in the school before then. A school girl walking the corridors in her school uniform with a massive baby bump?

While it was admirable and brave of her to continue her education I think she was stronger than I'd have been, the constant gossip etc. it was her choice to continue, but as a parent I think I would have taken her out and get her to repeat the year after or something. I base this on what I saw her endure in a school that treated her like she had brought shame and scandal to the school.

One of the reasons given for her wanting to go to this school was that her friends went there. I guess she felt there was safety being around people she knew and trusted to stand by her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

dvpower wrote: »
    Exactly. And you go an fill in the gaps with your fantastic ideas, based on nothing but your own predujices.

i haven't filled in any gaps nor do i have any prejudices in regard to this situation. As I've said, we don't know the full story so i don't think it's right to judge anyone.
    Nodin wrote: »
    We have a number of statements included in the report from the principal. The report is carried out by the ombudsman. Two things arise rather quickly to mind- either the principal deliberately portrayed his reasoning as following a line that was in fact unrepresentative of his position, or the Ombudsman - as you seemed to imply earlier* - has deliberatly skewed the findings of the report.

*"The Ombudsman released only the information she wanted. "
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78426166&postcount=360

Either theory is entirely plausable given the lack of information supplied. The ombudsman released information that has easily led to the identities of the school and girl being established so why not just release the whole story?

Nodin wrote: »
    You feel free to speculate around the reported correspondence of the principal, and state that there may be more other than what he himself stated. Yet when it comes to the child in question, you take the position that a lack of evidence gives you reason for various questions. 'Don't judge the principal on his own correspondence, do wildly speculate as regards a teenage girl'.

"fantasy" is rather a kind way of putting it.

I really do find it hard to see what could lie at the root of such a contradictory approach, and such malignant speculation towards one party.

There's no contradictory approach. It's very possible that the principal is a religious nut or mysoginist. What I've said quite a few times now is that there is not enough information and background given to make a fully informed opinion on either of them and it isn't right to make a judgement on the situation. I cannot see why this story was released to the public the way it was.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

He wouldn't let her in even after the baby was born

...I dunno. It just didn't look right.

Thats where a good education and good educator can make a further difference then.
    To look beyond just what you see and further understand the actual whole predicament.
    While I agree with you, try telling that to a school full of teenagers. Even if the principal bit their tongue, she's subject to gossip and bullying as soon as she starts showing. Have to admit, that can't be easy for a teen mother. Then having to study and sit exams in between it all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Teenage pregnancy is never easy and if you let other people get to you then you are letting them win so to speak.
    While I might want to protect my child the stubborn side of me would think no one is going to make her feel bad for wanting to go to school.
    It's not uncommon now and most teachers are understanding of the situation. The case I know myself it was not the students who had a problem it was their parents who felt this girl was bringing the school down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Old Tom wrote: »
    They don't like it - they don't take her. It's freedom and democracy.
    Whoever likes taking single mothers - open your own school and go ahead.

You spelled 'discrimination' wrong.

The word you're looking for is "spelt". I know it's a bit late but I couldn't resist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

While I agree with you, try telling that to a school full of teenagers. Even if the principal bit their tongue, she's subject to gossip and bullying as soon as she starts showing. Have to admit, that can't be easy for a teen mother. Then having to study and sit exams in between it all?

She has already had the baby.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

We are becoming so broadminded these days we never seem to hold perimeters for any length of time until the lefties start to push them even further and then further until nothing is wrong anymore and we're told we're just not broadminded enough ..every time is'nt it ?

You get tossers like that outside school as well. I think teenagers deserve more credit than we give them. I don't think the majority would act like that. I know I never got any hassle when I was a teen parent, no one was ever nasty to me. Most of my peers were great actually it was their parents/grandparents who were horrible.

bluewolf wrote: »

He wouldn't let her in even after the baby was born
    I agree that was uncalled for.
    hondasam wrote: »
    The case I know myself it was not the students who had a problem it was their parents who felt this girl was bringing the school down.
    Well I was just using the case of what happened in my school. She was made a target of.

Thrill wrote: »

She has already had the baby.
    I was generalising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Well I was just using the case of what happened in my school. She was made a target of.

You know kids can be cruel. I dunno if you agree or not but the popularity of the girl makes a difference imo. If she has loads of friends it makes a difference to how others treat her.

eviltwin wrote: »

You get tossers like that outside school as well. I think teenagers deserve more credit than we give them. I don't think the majority would act like that. I know I never got any hassle when I was a teen parent, no one was ever nasty to me. Most of my peers were great actually it was their parents/grandparents who were horrible.
    I understand what you mean about older people judging you. I'm just using the girl from my school as an example. I agree she should never have been refused an education, believe me. Just the girl from my year had a horrific time, is all I'm saying.

hondasam wrote: »

You know kids can be cruel. I dunno if you agree or not but the popularity of the girl makes a difference imo. If she has loads of friends it makes a difference to how others treat her.
    You know I thought about that too. The girl in question was a popular girl. Nothing was said until she started showing and the pregnancy became obvious. A couple of her good friends stuck by her, but it was like someone flicked a switch in terms of her popularity. They didn't want to be seen near her. It was fcuking awful for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

The word you're looking for is "spelt". I know it's a bit late but I couldn't resist.
    I'll ask you to have a quick look at this short thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056526338

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Janedoe10

So punishment and denying her education is making an example of the girl . Our prisoners get better treatment .
    Wonder if the same kid got pregnant as a result of rape would the school still prevent her from attending . In case that would cause disturbance too . I am not saying having kids so young is good or ideal but there is so much worse in the world that can happen ..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement