Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is your favourite politician and what are your political values?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

over the past few years it would be the late Brian lenehan. tried his hardest and was an excellent communicator but that pox cowen shafted him

if he had led his party maybe things would be different

What a lovely simple view, I think we were shafted before Cowan came in , maybe in a different party or different time he'd have been a great political leader, maybe lots of things....
    My favourite politican will be the one who digs us out of this crap hole we put dug ourselves into....( we voted our great leaders in )
    I'd be kind of right leaning, personal responsibility... But not" hang them all and blame the ........" still believe in a welfare state but think it's a privilege not a right....

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 33,021 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Never ceses to amaze me when people say they like and amdire the politicans that shafted us and want more...

It's live listening to criminals saying that reducing the number of gardai would be a good thing for the country.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

I fundamentally disagree with Higgins and Boyd-Barrett on practically everything, but they're clearly men of integrity. At this stage, I'd settle for that.

Also feel the British public's Euroscepticism has been proved right. When the sh1tstorm blows over, the people of Europe themselves should be given a real opportunity to have a say in the framing of the future union. The fact that's so unthinkable, tells us everything we need to know about the anti-democratic character of those who steer the ship in Brussels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Christine Lagarde.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Yamanoto wrote: »
    I fundamentally disagree with Higgins and Boyd-Barrett on practically everything, but they're clearly men of integrity. At this stage, I'd settle for that.
    Boyd-Barrett certainly showed his integrity when he came out in support of those millionaire property investors who were refusing to leave the house that they lost ownership of two years ago for not paying their mortgage...
    Yamanoto wrote: »
    Also feel the British public's Euroscepticism has been proved right. When the sh1tstorm blows over, the people of Europe themselves should be given a real opportunity to have a say in the framing of the future union. The fact that's so unthinkable, tells us everything we need to know about the anti-democratic character of those who steer the ship in Brussels.
    You also have to factor in the fact that the average voter is far too stupid or too lazy to read up on or understand the various EU treaties or understand the purpose of the EU beyond not having to show a passport when travelling in the Schengen zone. Is this the fault of the politicians or the public?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

true wrote: »
    Mrs Thatcher - Argentian military regime responsible for thousands of disappeared ( defeated ),

But you've no problem with Pinochet and his regime?
    Fond of flying dissidents out over the ocean and then throwing them out of aeroplanes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Born to Die

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Fond of flying dissidents out over the ocean and then throwing them out of aeroplanes

That's an idea for what to do with the bog cutters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

_Gawd_ wrote: »
    I believe in the free market. I believe in capitalism. I believe in the free movement of free peoples. I believe in private property. I believe in the individual (because you're Irish means nothing to me) - you should be judged by the content of your character. I believe you have a right to do whatever you please so long as it doesn't intrude on anyone else.

Politician? Ron Paul.
    Sounds like a lot of 'beliefs' there, sure you wouldn't be be better off starting a religion/cult or something:pac:

As for Libertarianism and Ron Paul, yes he's very right wing economically but it's stretching it to call him socially left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I would describe my politics as 'anti-privilege'.

A absolutely loathe right-wing authoritarian conservatism.

I'm attracted to the personal freedom and anti-war aspect libertarianism. The economics of libertarianism sounds good but I'm of the mind that it could polarise wealth/power in the hands of the few which would mean it was doomed (I believe in conflict theory).

I believe all drugs, prostitution and abortion* should be legal.

*With very strict time limits that ensured a fetus wouldn't suffer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Boyd-Barrett certainly showed his integrity when he came out in support of those millionaire property investors who were refusing to leave the house that they lost ownership of two years ago for not paying their mortgage...

Had he prior knowledge of the Killiney couples duplicity? If so, sure, his integrity can be questioned.

His judgement is a different matter.
    You also have to factor in the fact that the average voter is far too stupid or too lazy to read up on or understand the various EU treaties or understand the purpose of the EU beyond not having to show a passport when travelling in the Schengen zone. Is this the fault of the politicians or the public?

Democracy's for the dumb too remember. Whether you perceive that as a flaw or not is your call.

Apathy is a problem no doubt, though apportioning blame on one sector over another would seem to me a fiendishly difficult endeavour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Dustin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Left Wing / Ming.

where's me Mingers at

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

[An extraterrestrial robot and spaceship has just landed on earth. The robot steps out of the spaceship...]

"I come in peace," it said, adding after a long moment of further grinding, "take me to your Lizard."

Ford Prefect, of course, had an explanation for this, as he sat with Arthur and watched the nonstop frenetic news reports on television, none of which had anything to say other than to record that the thing had done this amount of damage which was valued at that amount of billions of pounds and had killed this totally other number of people, and then say it again, because the robot was doing nothing more than standing there, swaying very slightly, and emitting short incomprehensible error messages.

"It comes from a very ancient democracy, you see..."

"You mean, it comes from a world of lizards?"

"No," said Ford, who by this time was a little more rational and coherent than he had been, having finally had the coffee forced down him, "nothing so simple. Nothing anything like to straightforward. On its world, the people are people. The leaders are lizards. The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."

"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."

"I did," said ford. "It is."

"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"

"It honestly doesn't occur to them," said Ford. "They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates to the government they want."

"You mean they actually vote for the lizards?"

"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."

"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"

"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard," said Ford, "the wrong lizard might get in. Got any gin?"

"What?"

"I said," said Ford, with an increasing air of urgency creeping into his voice, "have you got any gin?"

"I'll look. Tell me about the lizards."

Ford shrugged again.

"Some people say that the lizards are the best thing that ever happened to them," he said. "They're completely wrong of course, completely and utterly wrong, but someone's got to say it."

RIP Doug, the finest of us, and truer today than it ever was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

ripcurl105 wrote: »
    no foreigners
    take back our country
    thatcherism
    no more nigerians or knackers or gypsies
    simples
    then we have a pure clean society

mod: banned.
    didnt mean to thank him but theres alot of people who are very unhappy with the way things are,

really like who ?

like you

like me ?

like me or like you

who you talking too

im talking to me

• Advertisement

what ye on about

time for noddy land

see ye in the morning pal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

I just wish Chuck Norris was a politician- he'd sort this recession out- roundhouse kick to the chops!

I just wish Chuck Norris was a politician- he'd sort this recession out- roundhouse kick to the chops!

peadophile

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Sounds like a lot of 'beliefs' there, sure you wouldn't be be better off starting a religion/cult or something:pac:

As for Libertarianism and Ron Paul, yes he's very right wing economically but it's stretching it to call him socially left.

He's for abortion, gay marriage, the legalisation of all drugs etc.
    How isn't he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

Political values: On the fence between libertarian minarchist and libertarian anarchist. I support Milton Friedman, Ludwig von Mises and F. A. Hayek when it comes to the economy. I'm also a fan of J. Locke, Adam Smith, M. Rothbard, Ayn Rand and Aristotle. My views on liberty cross over into my social views. I believe that individual liberties should be an absolute reflection of natural (or negative) rights. This means I'm for gay marriage (being gay myself), abortion (only for a fixed duration at the beginning of the pregnancy), legalisation of drugs, etc...

Favourite politicians: At the moment, Ron Paul. In Ireland, Shane Ross comes close.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,021 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

luckyfrank wrote: »
    didnt mean to thank him but theres alot of people who are very unhappy with the way things are,

In what way?

Most people are unhappy with the economy, but as I said, praise the principles that led to the economy and the politicans, but what has that got to do with immigration? Were the corrupt bankers and developes Nigerian? Or of gypsy origin?

The only politician that got mentioend was Thartcher, and she very much agreed with a low-regulation economy that led to the situation we find ourselves in.

The only difference between her and McCreevy/Ahearne was that they over indulged the public sector, but they only did that for votes, not for any long term national interest, as has been proven.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

ripcurl105 wrote: »
    I am extremely right-leaning. I believe in little goverment power over the people, a Laissez-faire market, little as possible taxation, slashed public service, reinstatement of religion in schools an dclassroom led prayer. Super strict immigration, ie, everyone entering is fingerprinted and photographed at the border and passport number is filed. Immigrants commiting crimes are deported permanently and blocked from country (where the fingerprints come in).
    Respect fo relderly and pride in the nation and more respect for Gardaí and army.

I may be a bit off, but most of your "right leaning" views seem to be more in line with the Republican Party in America than any particular right leaning party in Ireland.

Edit : Oh, he's banned. Shocker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Vladimir Putin

Anti-Turksih Occupation of Northern Cyprus:)

Advertisement