Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

New podcast recorded. This one is jumper related.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

betcha there was talk of Arino :pac:

Yeah. Just a little.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Well over a week without internet...did everyone miss me?

So what did I miss?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well over a week without internet...did everyone miss me?

So what did I miss?

Steve SI spent the GDP of a small african nation on old games, o1s1n terminated someone, Enternow solved world hunger with a soldering iron, I started a flamewar about the N64, atavan halen is recovering from alcohol related injuries, Dinorex got a new hat, Ciderman is old, Sera is kawaii desu ne, johnny_ultimate thinks the SNES was much better before it got popular and sold out and Pyongyang was killed in mysterious circumstances involving an overdose of pink bullets, I mean pills.

So not much really other than the usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Steve SI spent the GDP of a small african nation on old games, o1s1n terminated someone, Enternow solved world hunger with a soldering iron, I started a flamewar about the N64, atavan halen is recovering from alcohol related injuries, Dinorex got a new hat, Ciderman is old, Sera is kawaii desu ne, johnny_ultimate thinks the SNES was much better before it got popular and sold out and Pyongyang was killed in mysterious circumstances involving an overdose of pink bullets, I mean pills.

So not much really other than the usual.

WOW..A NEW HAT YOU SAY!?!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

New Retrogamer seems to be good. Just skimming the articles and there's big ones for the ZX Spectrum anniversary, X-Wing and Tie Fighter series, Wipeout, Super Mario RPG and my fav, reviews of every Virtual Boy game.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

New Retrogamer seems to be good. Just skimming the articles and there's big ones for the ZX Spectrum anniversary, X-Wing and Tie Fighter series, Wipeout, Super Mario RPG and my fav, reviews of every Virtual Boy game.

Oooo
    To Zinio!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

Oooo
    To Zinio!

I use the pikey method..downloading the pdfs and viewing via android software.
    Don't judge me

• Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

http://pokemonbattleroyale.tumblr.com/

Gotta look at them all.

Arcade and Retro Podcast 9 – Contra (or Probotector or eh Gryzor)

CPxlO.jpg

http://arcadeandretro.com/arcade-and-retro-podcast-episode-9-contra-or-probotector-or-eh-gryzor/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

johnny_ultimate thinks the SNES was much better before it got popular and sold out

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

So I played the new Vita a bit last night and this morning. It might be just my perception but the tip of the analogue controls feels a bit more slippery than the Jap model.
    Black blocking is still visible on black screens in a dark room, but that was to be expected with the OLED screen as is the same on the Jap model.

Still has the same wifi issues as my Jap model that hasn't had the firmware upgraded(homebrew etc). I would have thought they'd have resolved all those issues as I think they've released 3 firmware updates since launch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Steve SI wrote: »
    I would have thought they'd have resolved all those issues as I think they've released 3 firmware updates since launch.

Ah you misunderstand, Sony's update model serves to gradually make the product worse over time, not the other way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

So I played the new Vita a bit last night and this morning. It might be just my perception but the tip of the analogue controls feels a bit more slippery than the Jap model.

Sounds like a job for tiny bumps of black Sugru!

EnterNow wrote: »
    Ah you misunderstand, Sony's update model serves to gradually make the product worse over time, not the other way around.

Which is why they're selling about 4 of them a month at the moment :rolleyes:

By the way, the work around fix for anyone with a Vita that's dropping its wifi during play or after coming out of sleep is to only use TKIP and not TKIP+AES encryption in your WPA/WPA 2 security settings on your router.

It only causes problems on some wireless routers so most of you are probably ok.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

By the way, the work around fix for anyone with a Vita that's dropping its wifi during play or after coming out of sleep is to only use TKIP and not TKIP+AES encryption in your WPA/WPA 2 security settings on your router.

It only causes problems on some wireless routers so most of you are probably ok.

That is the "most of you" that own Vita consoles?
    Wow, that must be, like, 2 or 3 people by now!
    Huzzah!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

I have one, havent played since like the second day i got it. Wipeout is good on it.. well, two days play good.

keithgeo wrote: »
    I have one, havent played since like the second day i got it. Wipeout is good on it.. well, two days play good.

Yeah, needs more killer games and the UI is damn awful.
    I have 2 of them now, both 3G but I don't think I'll ever really take one with me if I was heading out or travelling abroad. Not enough games/apps to make it worthwhile and the battery life is rubbish, really rubbish. iPhone 4S, iPad 3 and a Kindle 3G is normally what I'd bring tech wise on my travels, not even a laptop any more.

I have to say I'm the same with the 3DS, don't really bother with it any more and the battery life is bad as well so I don't stick it in my bag when I'm heading off like I used to with the DS lite.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

If you're not constantly using the 3D feature, the 3DS battery isn't SO bad.

I had it on a 13 hour flight with me recently and with the backlight toned down a bit and 3D off, and it lasted me the whole trip without dying.

I didn't use it 100% of the time (got a film and a bit of sleep in too) but it certainly lasted a lot longer than I'd expected.

I mainly play street pass on mine, im addicted to trying to complete those puzzle swap things. its a glorified pedometer, with prob 2 games worth playing.

Has anyone played Kid Icarus? I've a feeling in my waters I could spending euro on it soon.

Master of the Universe

its a glorified pedometer, with prob 2 games worth playing.

You're insane.

Off the top of my head, all of these are worth playing (ports aside) -

Kid Icarus
    Mario 3D Land
    Mario Kart 7
    Resident Evil Revelations
    Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars
    Shinobi
    PilotWings Resort
    Pullblox
    Zen Pinball 3D
    Might Switch Force

Master of the Universe

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Has anyone played Kid Icarus? I've a feeling in my waters I could spending euro on it soon.

It's the best game for the 3DS. Definitely pick it up!

o1s1n wrote: »
    It's the best game for the 3DS. Definitely pick it up!

Right so, I'm sold! Shinobi as well eh. Might be getting two now or maybe I could could stretch to 3 3ds games.

I guess im just not a handheld gamer. the 3ds was the first one i owned since an original gameboy! i bought the zelda special edition one just to play zelda again. I prefer my games on tvs to be honest. so yeh, im probably not the best judge of whats good on them, ill admit that.

• Advertisement

I guess im just not a handheld gamer. the 3ds was the first one i owned since an original gameboy! i bought the zelda special edition one just to play zelda again. I prefer my games on tvs to be honest. so yeh, im probably not the best judge of whats good on them, ill admit that.

I much prefer handheld and always have. Much be something to do with my first bit of Nintendo being a chunky gameboy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement