Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Avengers (2012) *spoilers from post 1181*

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

Basq wrote: »
    Avatar was filmed using 3D, The Avengers was converted to 3D post-processing.
    Oh right, from what ive read over the last few pages then, it doesn't seem worth paying the extra $6 for the 3D version then.

Will go see this tomorrow then might go to the Hunger Games straight after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

...One thing that really annoyed me was the way the audience reacted, some people seemed to think that every one liner was deserving of hearty laughter and clapping. I know it's not a big thing but often the next line of dialogue was lost in the laughter. ...

This kinda annoyed me too. but I put it down to it being a massive comic book blockbuster packed to the rafters (Screen 17 sold out!) with fanboys. Its to be expected on opening weekend! I do intend to go again over the weekend at a quieter timeslot! (and in 2D)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

People can't help but enjoy the movie. They were entertained. While I agree, some movie goers laugh at every little thing going. I really enjoyed The Avengers (a lot more than I expected) and some of the scenes were definitely deserving of a round of applause.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Ironman76

Saw this last night. Excellent stuff. Hulk stole the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Oh right, from what ive read over the last few pages then, it doesn't seem worth paying the extra $6 for the 3D version then.

Will go see this tomorrow then might go to the Hunger Games straight after it.

Slightly OT but I would make a sincere recommendation to skip hunger games and watch Battle Royale on DVD instead. Same concept, 100x better film. Even herself agreed after I showed her battle royale after we had been to see hunger games in the cinema.

• Advertisement

Ironman76 wrote: »
    Saw this last night. Excellent stuff. Hulk stole the show.

I always felt that Hulk is a great character, but it's extremely difficult to make a stand alone movie with him. He's much better suited as an 'enemy' in spider-man or thor. Or of course, as part of the Avengers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,134 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Pretty surprised so many people are so eager to see it again immediately! Whatever about my thoughts towards the film, just doesn't really jump out as the sort of film that would benefit in any way from such a close reviewing. But then I'm firmly of the opinion that an immediate rewatch of anything isn't a good thing :pac:

I guess long as you've all paid your dues and watched Cabin in the Woods, you're entitled to watch it as many times as you damn well please :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

Saw this yesterday in the Showtime Cinema in Limerick. I though it was brilliant all two and a half hours of it, excellent all the way through. The 3D was great really got lost in it once or twice. I would go again to watch it, even two more times. Is the projection in Showtime HD or similar as the quality was excellent.

My son thought it was amazing, funny and spectacular. He would go twenty five times if he could.

I think all he needs is a sleeping bag and he would live in the cinema.

Overall well worth the money and definitely a move highlight of the year. :D:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

whats the chances of ruffalo getting his own hulk solo project after his stand - out performance in the avengers ?

id enjoy it but the last 2 hulk movies the hulks enemy's have been pretty terrible and you forget them 5 minutes after the movie.

also brilliant movie but i thought having 2 main villains instead of 1 could of made it even better. was hoping to see red skull

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

That doesn't justify a film that someone elsewhere described as lacking a soul, which is a good way of describing the problem. Even with the scenes that were meant to pack an emotional punch, such as
    Coulson dying and Stark nearly killing himself to get rid of the nuke,
    something was lacking.
    Score. Seriously, the film lacked emotional musical cues. Imagine Stark desperately wrestling with
    the missile
    set to this kind of music. But they hadn't the time, or maybe Whedon's just too scared to risk momentum in a critical action scene - I'm not sure.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,134 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah would agree the musical score (from... checks IMDB... Alan Silvestri) was fairly bland and typical. I think you just need to compare it to something like Star Trek - which IMO stands out head and shoulders in terms of recent blockbuster scores - where a rousing score can make you just go '**** yeah!' on an aural level alone.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,159 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

i liked how Cap's theme snuck in a couple of times during his fight scenes, but I agree a more rousing score would have been good. I think thats something thats been lacking from superhero films in general lately. Although Thor and captain America had really good theme music it was never used at pivotal moments in their respective films, which was a shame. Superman Returns managed to give me goosebumps when the theme music would kick in, which is saying a lot considering it wasn't the most exciting film ever.

There was moments where the score worked great though, such as the Hero(es) shot after the "I'm always angry" moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Yeah would agree the musical score (from... checks IMDB... Alan Silvestri) was fairly bland and typical. I think you just need to compare it to something like Star Trek - which IMO stands out head and shoulders in terms of recent blockbuster scores - where a rousing score can make you just go '**** yeah!' on an aural level alone.
    Completely agreed. The opening scene of Star Trek, segueing into the credits, nearly brings me to tears - it's only melodrama, but the score is rather superbly manipulative.

That said, I loved the Avengers. Whedon called Star Trek "the perfect summer blockbuster" in a Comic-Con panel a couple of years ago. I agreed (to within practical limits - nothing is actually perfect), and I think he outdid it. I wasn't confident that even he could juggle that many characters effectively, but every character has some great moments. The action is shot with a clarity and a sense of space that is missing from nearly every blockbuster I've seen in a decade. And the jokes, oh boy. I'm not sure how you enjoyed Cabin more than this Johnny; it's a tenth as funny, and all the genre deconstruction in the world can't make up for that. I do have reservations: one or two points where the pace seems a little slack, the forgettable score as mentioned, and the somewhat over-familiar metalic alien threat, but they don't spoil the broth for me.

mikhail wrote: »
    That said, I loved the Avengers. Whedon called Star Trek "the perfect summer blockbuster" in a Comic-Con panel a couple of years ago. I agreed (to within practical limits - nothing is actually perfect), and I think he outdid it. I wasn't confident that even he could juggle that many characters effectively, but every character has some great moments. The action is shot with a clarity and a sense of space that is missing from nearly every blockbuster I've seen in a decade. And the jokes, oh boy. I'm not sure how you enjoyed Cabin more than this Johnny; it's a tenth as funny, and all the genre deconstruction in the world can't make up for that. I do have reservations: one or two points where the pace seems a little slack, the forgettable score as mentioned, and the somewhat over-familiar metalic alien threat, but they don't spoil the broth for me.

Fully agree on Star Trek - I hold that up as a shining light, a perfect example where the individual elements came together to create a highly potent cocktail of entertainment. There I was willing to forgive the plotholes and the predictability of the plot due to the sheer force of what was on screen: a feeling I only felt once or twice during The Avengers.

I think the pattern emerging here is that a lot of people really liked it in spite of its limitations (which I think almost everyone agrees on) while others were less willing to forgive the very same limitations despite acknowledging that it does many things very well: think it just kind of boils down to an individual's experiences in this case. Darko's post on the film is almost identical to my initial reactions, but with a positive spin whereas mine is more negative. Horses for courses and all that :)

As for Cabin in the Woods, to me that was such a fresh experience - one that took over familiar rules and made the audience re-evaluate them while having a terrifically fun time in the process. With The Avengers, there was this gnawing sense of over-familiarity. What it did, it did well, but what it did, I've seen many times before. I agree that moments were very funny, although only a handful of the unexpected jokes
    (the Galaga one, Hulk vs Loki, Hulk punching the Cap'n)
    really worked for me in terms of delivery, whereas others were simply wearily predictable punchlines. While I fully agree that the directorial clarity was admirable, it also slightly lacked punch: almost too clean, if that makes any sense, which it mightn't. I suppose the counter argument is that the clarity is indeed the stylistic flair, but there were a few moments of interesting decisions - whether it was an askew camera angle or the strangely engaging colour palette when Hawkeye
    'woke up'
    - that suggested to me there was the potential for something more than mere clarity.

I guess as a long-term Joss Whedon fan, I was expecting surprises, wit and an emotional involvement that was outside what is reasonable to expect from what is (in essence) a genre production. Serenity, Cabin in the Woods, Dr. Horrible, good Buffy and - hell - even Dollhouse (which rewarded those who committed despite its hella shaky start) all provided that, or at least most of that (I'll admit Cabin in the Woods lacks emotional punches, but has the rest in excess). In comparison, The Avengers was just a highly competent blockbuster. Worth watching? Sure! But also, to my disappointment, forgettable. Here and on the social networks I've heard many people refer to it as the most awesome or amazing cinema experience they've had in a while: a solidly enjoyable albeit frustrating one was all I got.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I thought Cabin in the Woods was way better than The Avengers - much funnier, a fresher idea, less predictable, cleverer. Going to see The Avengers I was expecting to have my mind blown because of the way people were going on about it, and I wasn't all that amazed by it. I had a lot more fun watching Cabin in the Woods. That's the movie of the year so far, for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Silvestri has been on autopilot for years, the score to this sounds like it could have just been assembled (ho ho!) from parts of his A-Team and GI Joe scores. considering he's composed some fantastic scores (BTTF, Forrest Gump, Mousehunt). It seems he excels more at emotional or playful tracks than rousing scores. There hasnt been truly memorable, or hummable, comic movie theme in a while. something like The Dark Knight is instantly reconisable but you cant hum it, like the Superman march. Thor had a great musical score alright but it wasnt something that instantly jumped out like Williams Supes theme or Danny Elfman's Batman.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭WatchWolf

The scene where
    Hulk smashes Loki like a rag-doll
    was just too funny.

WatchWolf wrote: »
    The scene where
    Hulk smashes Loki like a rag-doll
    was just too funny.

Saw it coming about 5 secs before he did it. Then when he did it, it only further justified my geek boner!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

Seen this today. Enjoyed it and thought it was good fun. I was expecting a bit better after all the hype but ill still settle for what I got. The Hulk for me had the best moments. A solid and entertaining movie that is worth seeing.

Thats two good movies in a row now iv seen in the cinema:eek:. Cabin and this. Hopefully the standard keeps up for rest of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭LCD

As long as your in the "leave your brain at the door" state of mind, this moive is excellent entertainment. Good action, good laughs, good effects & completley over the top, perfect!

I did feel all the female characters were farily bland & wooden.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

off topic I know but cabin in the woods just didnt do it for me, perhaps im being overly critical but I thought it was too wacky

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Quite enjoyed this today, 1st time in Cineworld due to an earlier "incident" in Vue i do believe i am no longer welcome there :p

Avengers was quite good, a lot funnier than i expected. the Hulk scenes altho pandering to my nerdy side were hilarious at times. Between him Loki and Stark there was some really funny moments.

As an ensemble movie of action heros, i think they pulled it off very well. A well made action movie with a decent cast agree with whoever said the wimmenz were plain and dull.

other than that decent movie well worth a watch.

Impressed with Cineworld also, defintley going back even tho Vue is 5 minutes from my house. Felt watching a movie in City Centre everyone there made a bit of effort to see a movie and resulted in less arseholes which you would get in a suburban cinema as arseholes have feck all else to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Ape X

dreamers75 wrote: »
    1st time in Cineworld due to an earlier "incident" in Vue i do believe i am no longer welcome there :p
    You know you simply have to tell us about that :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Knight who says Meh

LCD wrote: »
    As long as your in the "leave your brain at the door" state of mind, this moive is excellent entertainment. Good action, good laughs, good effects & completley over the top, perfect!

I did feel all the female characters.
    You wish;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Ape X wrote: »
    You know you simply have to tell us about that :pac:

Seemingly FLS or free list suspended is implied/assumed rather than posted on movies schedule times.

I had 2 free tickets to Vue which stated not valid on "FLS" movies, but seemingly Avengers is one of those. I did check the website beforehand and no mention of "FLS" and no mention of it on the board in Vue. A simple FLS on the board and i would have had no issue paying.

As the people said Avengers was a FLS, my asking of where does it say that was met with "assumed/implied after 2 weeks etc". I would have no issue with that if it said "FLS" on the board......it didnt.

So now Cineworld is my new cinema :)

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Icarian

Saw this at the Savoy on Friday, it was a stupidly fun and funny film. I had no expectations at all going in, thinking it would be a competant action film with little bits of fan service thrown in, but I never expected it to be so funny!

About Coulson...
    I don't think he's dead, Fury said that the cards weren't actually on him when he was stabbed, that he fabricated that to motivate the Avengers, I think he survived that attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Phony Scott

Having seen the film twice now, I think it's excellent. Sure the story is very inconsistant and, for my money anyway, waferthin. But the flaws didn't really matter to me; I got hugely entertaining banter from the characters, with the usual zingers from Iron Man. :)

Even when the final third decended into almost near Michael Bay territory, I enjoyed it because I cared for the characters and it had moments of hilarity.

In a way I can imagine Michael Bay watching this, literally drunk on his own ego, and not getting it; "I doonn't geddit, my flims have fugggin' 'plosions in stuff. Why don't people luuuv meeee..." :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

saw it in 2D, honestly cant see any advantages of 3D, and its a balls you cant see the 2D one on the biggest screen, d1ckheads,

but anyway, what a film, it lived up to and surpassed any expectation i had for it, all the characters worked great off each other, stark trying to get hulk to come out, while also nearly having a bit of a man crush for banner himself, was funny to when Thor arrived and snatched Loki thinking the puny humans couldn't take care of the problem ourselfs, then meeting his match with iron man and cap,

i don't read comics so i don't have a clue who those bad guys were, they were good and i suspect they'll play a bigger part in one of the sequels may it be avengers together of individually,

i was kinda hoping at the end that it would show
    Phil:D didn't die
    , i was fairly surprised they killed him off,

also ruffalo did a great job a banner, and hulk it getting a lot of attention from this film, well deserved really, so i hope they give a green light for another hulk film,

this franchise is paying off in spades, 5 films leading up to this and this one i honestly think has blown all the others away,

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I saw this last night in the Odeon cinema at the Point Depot, and in 3D. For me the usual complaints about post-production 3D apply: way too dark, too inconsistent & in some of the scenes I thought the 3D was actually broken.

As for the film itself, I think it was always a feature that had the potential to be a complete mess: given the number of disparate characters & backstories at work here, it wouldn't have come as a surprise to anyone if this turned out to be a total clusterf*ck.

So that the end result was in fact a smart, witty, fun & exciting vehicle that gave all its primary characters a chance to shine is a testament to both Whedon and the rest of the crew. Whilst I didn't think it was Whedon's best script in terms of dialogue, the back & forth between the Avengers was worth the price of admission alone. I also appreciated the care and attention taken to make sure the mythology of the heroes' own movies fit neatly. Sure there were plotholes here and there, but given how this movie could have turned out, kudos is due to all those involved.

That all said, isn't it going to make things like Iron Man 3 a tad difficult to make given we've just seen Tony Stark not only team up with other superheroes, but fight a full-on alien invasion. Seems odd we'll then see a movie where all these events are possibly pushed-aside.

Not impressed with the fate of Coulson though. Not impressed at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Very good film much better then expected Comic book films have really improved since the old Batman days, they seem to of really perfected it and what level of silyness/non-realistic bits they can get away with.

Also surprised so many left before the cutscene after the initial credits I thought everyone would know that Marvel do that now.

Advertisement