Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Avengers (2012) *spoilers from post 1181*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Saw that Mahon Point are charging a euro extra for 3D - without the glasses. Imax excluded, if done with the format anyway.

Ya,it's not worth it, I ended up paying €5 to go in as it was a screening in conjunction with a society in college. I'd be more pissed if I paid a lot to go to a 3D screening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

titan18 wrote: »
    Not for me, we had Promotheus and Spiderman reboot

Thanks going at half five at an imc. Maybe they have it. Prometheus is not a bad trade though......................i feel like a child again.

I hadn't expected much from Marvel and to be honest, based on a lot of their previous films. I was not optimistic.
    But I was pleasently surprised, while having cheesy clique moments, the film rocked!
    The acting was good (I can't fault Samuel L. Jackson) and the speacal effects were very good.
    Delighted to have gone even though the crowd I was with in the cinema kept clapping and laughing at jokes.

[/SPOILER]

Gate in Cork at 10.30 screening? Can understand the laughter even if they went on a bit too long, but the cheering and clapping was stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 29,486 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I thought the clapping during the advance screening was great. I'm not a 'cinema clapper' myself but it gave the place a good atomosphere, it shows you are surrounded by fans instead of random knacks on their phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

not on my viewing

• Advertisement

going to see it in ISENSE tonight. I have been waiting so long to see it and today i am not feeling it. Maybe thats good, i will come out loving it. Will see.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

sheehy83 wrote: »
    I thought the clapping during the advance screening was great. I'm not a 'cinema clapper' myself but it gave the place a good atomosphere, it shows you are surrounded by fans instead of random knacks on their phones.

I've no problem with enthusiasm, but if you want to clap, do it at the start and/or finish.

Otherwise you end up missing dialogue and such.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,075 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

so, the overrun? Anyone have any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

I was at the screening in the Gate as well and I thought the clapping stuff was great. Really added to the atmosphere of the film.

Thought the film was fun, a nice balance of action and humour, but I was a little lost at the start as I haven't seen Thor, but it was some film when it did get going for me. Was really glad that it didn't turn out the mess that I thought it would given the amount of heros that would be in it.

Anyone want to fill me in on the scene after the credits
    or is it something that might spoil Thor for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,486 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Anyone want to fill me in on the scene after the credits or is it something that might spoil Thor for me?

After credits spoiler!

Google
    Thanos

I just want to know what the extra scene is where they filmed it after the film was finished. It wasn't shown at the advanced screening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,075 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I was at the screening in the Gate as well and I thought the clapping stuff was great. Really added to the atmosphere of the film.

Thought the film was fun, a nice balance of action and humour, but I was a little lost at the start as I haven't seen Thor, but it was some film when it did get going for me. Was really glad that it didn't turn out the mess that I thought it would given the amount of heros that would be in it.

Anyone want to fill me in on the scene after the credits or is it something that might spoil Thor for me?
    Thor was pretty much ruined by the Avengers no? By far the best of the pre-movies was Thor imo. Captain America wasn't great, didnt really buy into the Iron Mans the way everyone else did. Thor was so much better than expected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Can't believe I'm saying this but I thought it was only okay. Maybe all the positive reviews so far have blown my expectations sky high, but I thought that the film suffered from pacing issues. Of the scarce negative reviews I've read, one critic said that the film is a mess until the last 40 minutes and I would actually agree with that.

The pace is so frenetic and not in a good way, this in turn has a knock on effect on key scenes such as
    Coulson dying. I just didn't feel the emotional punch that this scene should of had and this, in my opinion, is down to poor build up to the moment.

I also didn't think much of the character interaction bar the work between RDJ and Ruffalo, the latter actually stealing the show for me both as Banner and his monstrous counterpart. But even Hulk is effected by the poor pacing, he randomly goes from
    being an uncontrollable monster in one scene to taking orders in another scene, from not being able to distinguish between good and bad in one scene to saving the good guys in another scene. There's no pay off between these scenes to show us Banner learning how to control the monster

All in all, an entertaining 2 hours but no more than a 3/5 IMO. Disappointing as I was so excited to see this film.

EDIT Oh and
    the 3D really pissed me off in regards to the space scenes, could make fcuk all out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

4 hours to go.

Anyone want to fill me in on the scene after the credits
    or is it something that might spoil Thor for me?

Had to google it afterwards, the combination of the darkness with the 3D and the lights being turned on meant I couldn't see who it was at all inside there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

Cannot wait, tickets are booked for tomorrow night in Isence!

Quick question, I know Cineworld are giving out the special 3D glasses, is Oddon doing the same? If not I may have to see this a second time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Pretty good film. I agree with an earlier poster saying about the pacing issues, it seemed a bit off in places. Also a lot of the interaction between characters seemed very forced, like it was done just to have one Avenger talk to another, like one would just step in from out of scene, this happened a few times.
    The fixing the engine bit was a waste of time I thought, it was like "lets repair the engine that was blown to in incineration"

Enjoyed it though, the final scene (well 30 minutes) is relentless. Thor had the best line in it I thought
    "You wan't me to put the hammer down!
    Like the post credits scene too, Thanos should be a great Avengers 2 villain

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

heading to this in an hour, excitedface!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Ape X

Going in the morning....

One more sleep.

Only one more sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 waterglass305

titan18 wrote: »
    Gate in Cork at 10.30 screening? Can understand the laughter even if they went on a bit too long, but the cheering and clapping was stupid

Yes I was there. I was taken aback by the clapping/laughing at every single reference to the the Marvel universe or some of the one liners by Iron man. Some of it was funny, but it earned no more than a chuckle IMO.
    But I did like the atmosphere a lot, kinda made up for the early morning screening :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

sheehy83 wrote: »
    After credits spoiler!

Google
    Thanos

Hello :>

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

just back from this, one word .AWESOME

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Just back from it it's so good! Really really excellent!
    Loki getting his ass kicked by Hulk was hilarious!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Just back from it it's so good! Really really excellent!
    Loki getting his ass kicked by Hulk was hilarious!

It was actually one of those moments where I didn't mind someone else spilling their coca cola on me. (Perhaps, that had something to do with me not noticing it straight away, but I like to think it was the hilarity of the moment. :))

The one problem with this movie is that its going to really dilute the further solo adventures of all the characters

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

Going with my son, tomorrow. Talk about up for it.

Saw the chat about the earlier films and asked him to rank them,

1. Iron Man 2
    2. Captain America
    3. Iron Man
    4. Thor
    5. The Incredible Hulk

Re-watched the trailers and in his words "I feel awesome about the Avengers"

I will post his verdict tomorrow after the movie.:cool:

How would Thanos compare to Thor and the Hulk, power wise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Thinking of going to see this tomorrow. Don't know whether to go for the 3D or not. My mother is coming with me, and she's never seen a 3D movie (not sure she's missing out on much, really). Is the 3D worth it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Tindie

This movie getting some good reviews but I not fan of the new Hulk at all, I can not stand it, I was Huge HUGE fan the old Hulk! When I was kid! (That the reason I won't be seeing this!)

(I loved it and I still do) Mum Told me later on in life, that I cried when died in last movie lol
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqhXPdHsWaA&feature=relmfu

I still a bit MAD at Hulk 2003 as soon as I found out what did to the Hulk, I was gutted!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

The one problem with this movie is that its going to really dilute the further solo adventures of all the characters

Very valid! No individual threat can match up, and if it did, it would seem illogical for the hero to battle it alone

Great movie, really enjoyable. A lot more humour than I would have expected which really was great. Hulk works so much better as a part of a group rather than individual. Not usually that much of a fan, but I'd say my favourite scenes involved Banner or Hulk. The one spoilered early in particular, was actually brilliant

They could have doubled Tom Hiddleston's screen time and I wouldn't have bored of him. They turned a good villain in Thor into a Great Villain.

I'm a big Renner fan, but I thought Hawkeye was probably one of the weaker characters, hope they don't give him his own movie because I can't imagine them fleshing out his character enough. Plus, no threat a "skilled human" could handle would hold up against what the other Avengers have tackled either together or in this movie

• Advertisement

Ya, I don't think Hawkeye should get his own film. However, I think a SHIELD pre-Avengers could be good, show more of Hawkeye, Black Widow, Nick Fury and Coulson.

Advertisement