Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2012. What will it be like?

Options
  • 20-04-2012 1:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭

(Sorry mods if a Summer 2012 thread has been opened already but just could not find one. Delete this if necessary. :) )

After a run of summers' that can only be described somewhere in the range between non-descript to downright rubbish, it will be interesting to see how summer 2012 will turn out in Ireland. I personally am hoping for some solid heat this year - something which the last two summers seemed to lack - coupled of course, with plenty of thundery spells! :).

I say bring it on.

How do you think Summer 2012 will turn out? 200 votes

Warm, dry and sunny.
    0% 0 votes
    Cold, dry and sunny
    26% 53 votes
    Mild, dull and wet
    7% 14 votes
    Cold, dull and wet
    37% 74 votes
    Average
    29% 59 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭Rougies

Warm, dry and sunny of course. The combined powers of positive thinking and boards.ie polls will make it so. Hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

I like that positive thinking theory.....sure look what we have managed to do regarding stormy weather ooops lol

So I am wishcasting a glorious warrm, sunny, occasionally humid summer.... oh and I would like it in June, July and Aug please...lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Tindie

I think UK a Due really Big heatwave, 2012 year could be the one! like the one in had in 2003! (Which I hated lol ) I think heat wave maybe in August or September.

July to August will be all the above!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

One big tease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Warm and humid, with thundery spells from South and East

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭John mac

Warm dry and sunny..

although my monthly competition entries may not support my optimism:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I voted to reflect my view that it can't be as cool, cloudy and boring as last years effort:rolleyes::pac:;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭pauldry

think it will either be warm dry and sunny or cold dry and sunny but im more tending to lean towards the cold now.

still think it could be warm for one full month and the rest cold but it will be dry everywhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Highest majority going for a warm and dry one so far, with a strong support for a mild, wetter one. Little support for anything colder at this stage. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

I hope warm and dry with nice SW breezes for good windsurfing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭Joe Public

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

if we get 10 days over the entire 3 month summer period where temperatures exceed 21C, I'll be happy, but this been Ireland I feel I may be asking for too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TURRICAN

I'd say max temps will be around 26 away from coastal areas.
    Maximum amount of sunny warm days consecutively will be 3 or 4 max.
    Mostly cloudy and overcast.
    Warmest weather will be around September.

I know it's a fairly pessimistic view, but it's
    What we're used to.
    Really though it's reverse psychology for the weather gods;) shhhh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

After consultation with my oracle this summers weather will be warm and humid, with thundery showers, overcast but not dull
    occasional individual weeks of good sunshine

I think the wind will be mainly from south and east

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

The odds are surely for a warm dry summer like2003?

Personally I'd love see MTs vote on this.. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

I am being very optimistic (think I will go mad otherwise), I am going on last year, very hot and warm April shịte summer, this April very wet and cold so good summer. Fingers, eyes and legs crossed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭K_1

Tazio wrote: »
    The odds are surely for a warm dry summer like2003?

Personally I'd love see MTs vote on this.. ;)

The odds are never for a warm dry summer. Ever. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

K_1 wrote: »
    The odds are never for a warm dry summer. Ever. :(

+ 1

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

who_ru wrote: »
    + 1

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

summer has arrived already over much of Europe :eek:

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Reurmett.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Reurmett.html

That's just downright depressing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭Joe Public

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Reurmett.html[/QUOTE]

That's a warm spell in Spring just like we got in March except it's lasting a bit longer.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

Wow they really get the best of both worlds over there...Anyway hopefully it will be warm and sunny here this summer with of course plenty of thundertorms:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

There must be records tumbling especially in Germany? 30 degrees+

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Don't look at the charts ahead it'll make you cry - a lot.

mike65 wrote: »
    Don't look at the charts ahead it'll make you cry - a lot.

Ominious emergence of the Greeny High for the start of May:(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

When the first of our recent run of bad summers started (4, 5, 6? I forget), I had been working outdoors for the four seasons, high up in the Wicklow mountains. This gave me a sort of intimate awareness of weather patterns.
    One thing alarmed me that year, as late spring approached. It was the fact that the clouds all seemed to have that polar look to them. Big, white and clear cumulonimbus (?). Continuous invasions of them.
    It seemed to me that they were the wrong clouds, in the wrong place, at the wrong time, and they were there all summer (when you could see the sky).
    I well remember the ME presenter saying that the Jetstream was so far south that 'it was just not funny'.
    That was the first year of our rotten summers and I saw the same pattern this spring, albeit a little earlier.
    My heart is telling me the summer's going to be rotten - my head is saying that the fact that the polar clouds came a bit earlier could be a reason to be optimistic. But I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,989 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

I am dissapoint. If this was a "What's winter 2012 going to be like??" It would have about ten pages already. Do you all not like wall to wall sunshine bbqs drink and nudey women???

baraca wrote: »
    I am dissapoint. If this was a "What's winter 2012 going to be like??" It would have about ten pages already. Do you all not like wall to wall sunshine bbqs drink and nudey women???

I've never experienced such things in this country - even in a good summer:(. Thank god for places like Crete!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,989 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Birdnuts wrote: »
    I've never experienced such things in this country - even in a good summer:(. Thank god for places like Crete!!:D

Yeah i should have said "the possibility of...." :pac:

Advertisement