Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert '11/'12 Off-Topic 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Eathrin wrote: »
    I'm talking about primary school...

Oh right..

Sh*t :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Wesc. wrote: »
    Ye do realise that the grade you get is the one the examiner gives you on tjat day? The only purpose of the tape recorder is for rechecks, or so I've been told. (By the oral examiner).

Really? That's not what ours said! We were told that the grade they give you is a raw grade, then it's listened back to and you get your proper grade later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

My Irish teacher is an oral examiner and she said it's just for re-checks. I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Pretty sure it's just for rechecks.

Pretty crap how some examiners pause the tape and/or explain the questions in English. It kind of defeats the purpose really, not to mention how unfair it is on everyone else!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Yeah I always thought it was for rechecks too, thought it was mad when the examiner said that! He must have been wrong so. Kind of relieved tbh :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Dwellingdweller

Best. French. Oral. Ever! :D Seriously it went so good, the conversation just flowed so naturally. We started talking about Miles Davis and L'Etranger, I felt while cultured altogether :P She even said 'Alors, tu es tres philosophique!' That was a nice moment! I kinda feel like a díck, 'cos most other people in my year struggled, but still :) A1 here I come ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Siobhnk

I'd say though if the examiner had to pause the tape for you, you'd get marks taken off. Not understanding the question really would question your fluency. :rolleyes: it's only really to make sure you don't start having a panic attack or dont get too upset that it ruins the rest of the oral, it relaxes you a wee bit I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Siobhnk wrote: »
    I'd say though if the examiner had to pause the tape for you, you'd get marks taken off. Not understanding the question really would question your fluency. :rolleyes: it's only really to make sure you don't start having a panic attack or dont get too upset that it ruins the rest of the oral, it relaxes you a wee bit I'd imagine.

My french oral last year the examiner would cover the tape and whisper the question in english telling you what you need to say if you get stuck lol.
    She did this to everyone. She was really nice though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Sigma-t Maths exam I got 99th percentile 6 years running.
    Then we had drumcondra English exams, never scored as highly in those.
    Ah the days where nothing meant shít.:pac:

We never got told how we did in those, pissed me off to no end. I really wanted to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

And in more recent times...not knowing what I'm getting in these orals is pissing me off!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Me too. I saw that I got the full 5 marks for beannú though. So I know I have at least 2%. :D

I have got to stop finishing my essays at 2am:(

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Flabangav

Music finished :D I feel fantastic :p

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Best. French. Oral. Ever! :D Seriously it went so good, the conversation just flowed so naturally. We started talking about Miles Davis and L'Etranger, I felt while cultured altogether :P She even said 'Alors, tu es tres philosophique!' That was a nice moment! I kinda feel like a díck, 'cos most other people in my year struggled, but still :) A1 here I come ;)

I'm the exact same! :D It seriously couldn't of went better for me today. The French oral thread funnily enough helped me a lot too! Haha, and I used (I think PF's?) word "epoustouflant" and the examiner asked me what it meant at the end! Awh I'm soo happy but thing is I'm actually half-thinking in French still :L It's so hard to think in Irish atm. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ConTheCat

So. Much. Homework for the weekend :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Siobhnk wrote: »

True, it's just unfortunate that some who are really nervous and worried or just go blank end up messing up because not every examiner is that nice! They usually go very easy on you if you start by saying you're nervous though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Wesc. wrote: »
    I'm the exact same! :D It seriously couldn't of went better for me today. The French oral thread funnily enough helped me a lot too! Haha, and I used (I think PF's?) word "epoustouflant" and the examiner asked me what it meant at the end! Awh I'm soo happy but thing is I'm actually half-thinking in French still :L It's so hard to think in Irish atm. :P
    It's a class word! I robbed it off Partyatmygaff! Can't take all the credit! I used it at least 2/3 times during my oral. C'est époustouflant! :D

ConTheCat wrote: »
    So. Much. Homework for the weekend :(

I have nothing, this is when I'm at my worst, I need to be assigned work if I'm going to do anything.
    Tradesies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Meowth

I have nothing, this is when I'm at my worst, I need to be assigned work if I'm going to do anything.
    Tradesies?

If you are that eager, you can have all of mine :P ;)

sorry for double post but are any of ye on pottermore ? :)

• Advertisement

sorry for double post but are any of ye on pottermore ? :)

I've been playing it all evening :). It's getting slightly addicting

I've been playing it all evening :). It's getting slightly addicting

What house are you in ?

What house are you in ?

Somehow I ended up in Slytherin :S. I usually end up in Ravenclaw or Hufflepuff. Some of the questions were odd though. what about you?

Somehow I ended up in Slytherin :S. I usually end up in Ravenclaw or Hufflepuff. Some of the questions were odd though. what about you?

All my friends are in Slytherin :L
    I'm a Ravenclaw :D

All my friends are in Slytherin :L
    I'm a Ravenclaw :D

Haha all mine ended up in Ravenclaw. I'm not sure how I got Slytherin. I have another username aswell I'll wait until I complete this first. I don't get how to cast spells it's quite confusing lol.

Haha all mine ended up in Ravenclaw. I'm not sure how I got Slytherin. I have another username aswell I'll wait until I complete this first. I don't get how to cast spells it's quite confusing lol.

ha it's really bad, I only joined to see what house i'd be in :L

ha it's really bad, I only joined to see what house i'd be in :L

Same , I might try my other username, I only noticed the questions for the sorting hat after like halfway through. I wonder what other house I'd be in.

I'm in Gondor.
    Am I doing it right?:D

I'm in Gondor.
    Am I doing it right?:D

do you mean Gryffindor ? :L

• Advertisement

Gondor obviously, I just train at Hogwarts so I can defeat the Sith.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement