Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy 7....by a non gamer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,223 ✭✭✭✭noodler

keane2097 wrote: »
    Complicated isn't better than simple just because it's complicated.
    Mindkiller wrote: »
    I found X a little too cookie-cutter tbh. Tidus kills wolves, Wakka kills birds, Lulu kills blobs etc.
    X was a great game but that got really tiresome.

I loved that aspect of FFX. It made every character useful....except for Kimhari.

Auron for hard-shelled creatures, Rikku for machines etc.

You are all crazy.

The OVERKILL system was also excellent, meaning you got bonus EXP, items and gil if you managaed to kill an enemy by an extra amount of HP over and above what it would usually take to kill him.

It really made you use the right tool for the job rather than just keep tapping X regardless of who you are fighting.

I think FF7's story is great. A couple of mistranslations don't really chnage that for me.

So many great moments.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

RedXIV wrote: »
    I meant to add in there as well that she is slightly spooked by the lack of sound when the massacre occurs. Not massively but enough to be wary about anything jumping out at her.
    This is one of my big memories of playing the game for the first time.

I'm seriously considering making this offer to some of the lads now to see if they'll try it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,244 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Overkill was good but seeing the same palette swapped enemies set up for specific characters became tiresome at the end of the game.
    To be honest, I wouldn't let a few flaws ruin a game for me if I enjoyed playing it. I absolutely loved FFVIII despite it having a woeful cast, a worse story and a broken battle system.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Overkill was good but seeing the same palette swapped enemies set up for specific characters became tiresome at the end of the game.

At the end of the game I don't really agree that the character specific enemies thing really mattered anymore.

I seem to remember it only mattering for the majority of the main story rather than during the optional extras (monster arena, Dark Aeons or Penance).

To be honest, I wouldn't let a few flaws ruin a game for me if I enjoyed playing it. I absolutely loved FFVIII despite it having a woeful cast, a worse story and a broken battle system.

I loved FF8 until disc 3.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,244 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

They occurred less at the end of the game but they were still present. There were some tough enemies at the end of the game (Behemoths for example) that for all intents and purposes removed that element.
    The tattered remains of the story just died in Disc 3 but the game as a whole is quite enjoyable and has one of my favourite soundtracks of all time.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Just started a new game there, purely because of the nostalgia brought on by this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Just started a new game there, purely because of the nostalgia brought on by this thread.

I've fired up FFVI for the first time thanks to it as well!

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

noodler wrote: »
    I think FF7's story is great. A couple of mistranslations don't really chnage that for me.

So many great moments.

ONE mistranslation.

OMG IT'S ALL RUIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINED!!!!!

I see people going on about Persona in this thread. Is it a good series? Never played it. Should I play all of them through or just the good ones? (is the story continued on from the last game is what I mean). Which ones are the best ones?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Andy!! wrote: »
    ONE mistranslation.

OMG IT'S ALL RUIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINED!!!!!

There's a hell of a lot more than one mistranslation. There's tonnes of typos and just terrible grammar, it was obviously translated by people that aren't native english speakers. There's also plenty of confusion in the story because a lot of the story isn't brough across by they terrible localisation. It's a very poor localisation, that's a fact and there's no way to defend it. Considering Ted Woolseys stellar localisation of Sqaures SNES RPGs like Super Mario RPG, FF6, and Chrono Trigger it was a big step backwards for Square.
    Andy!! wrote: »
    I see people going on about Persona in this thread. Is it a good series? Never played it. Should I play all of them through or just the good ones? (is the story continued on from the last game is what I mean). Which ones are the best ones?

Persona 3 and 4 are must plays and the best two RPGs since Mother 3. Amazing games. Persona 1 and 2 are an acquired taste. They take after the SMT series a lot closer and therefore are quite difficult, grindy and feature lots of nonlinear dungeon crawling. If you like those types of games they are great but compared to something like FF or most JRPGs they are quite complex and closer to western dungeon crawlers like Wizardry. Persona 3 and 4 are a bit more accessible to someone used to traditional JRPG's.

• Advertisement

I'm pretty sure I've seen posts of yours moaning about Ted Woolsey's FFVI localisation Retr0. Something about puns and bad jokes.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yeah I did about 10 years ago when I was young and stupid. It was the hip thing to do if you were a FF fan :) Now that I've matured and read some interviews with him and played the games again it's actually remarkable what he did and how he managed to get the stories feel and mean across in English which took up a lot more of the cartridges ROM than japanese does. I think at the time when emulation was new we thought the FF games were a lot deeper and intellectual in japanese and were shortchanged by the goofy english translations but the japanese versions are just as goofy. It got so bad that some people made fan translations that tried to make the games edgier by adding in swearing, now they were embarassing.

I made the mistake of also thinking he was responsible for all of Squares SNEs translations such as the god awful FF4/2 one. However he only came on board with Secret of Mana, not the best translation in the world but he also managed to knock that one out in 4 weeks, which is quite an amazing achievement considering. So I take back everything I said about Ted Woolsey, he was a great localiser.

However I'll never forgive him for Shadow Madness, a game up there with Legend of Dragoon for crappiness.

I read somewhere, he did FFVI in a month. You can't blame the localiser for a crap game though. He can only do so much with a script.

H. H. Asquith

Tell that to the Metal Gear fans trying to blame MGS2's crapiness on Audrey Kakou.

It was Mana he did in a month. He had a lot more time on FFVI which turned out great.

As for Shadow Madness, it wasn't a crap translation, Ted formed a development team and tried to make a japanese style JRPG. If you have played the result you'd understand :) It was western so didn't need a translation, the game was just crap!

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Tell that to the Metal Gear fans trying to blame MGS2's crapiness on Audrey Kakou.

It was Mana he did in a month. He had a lot more time on FFVI which turned out great.

As for Shadow Madness, it wasn't a crap translation, Ted formed a development team and tried to make a japanese style JRPG. If you have played the result you'd understand :) It was western so didn't need a translation, the game was just crap!

Can't blame him for trying. I had no idea he actually tried to make one himself.

H. H. Asquith

Well it did try an awful lot of new ideas, just none of it worked at all. Can't blame him the guys for trying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

I think at the time when emulation was new we thought the FF games were a lot deeper and intellectual in japanese and were shortchanged by the goofy english translations but the japanese versions are just as goofy. It got so bad that some people made fan translations that tried to make the games edgier by adding in swearing, now they were embarassing.

If there's one thing that pisses me off it's these pretentious weeaboo sorts that must play everything and watch everything in its original Japanese. Like they'd watch an anime and not notice how horrible the jap VA is and **** all over the English one. I understand why it makes sense in certain cases to avoid horrible dubbing, like in movies. But some localisation efforts are really, really good. Like FFXII, or (playing atm) Vagrant Story. Sure, the original intention or whatever may get corrupted and lost in the localisation process, but you have to love that pseudo-Shakespearian thing they bring to the 'Ivalice' games (I've heard that VS is set in Ivalice though I'm not sure if that's just a retcon).

Credit must be given to the fans who translated FFV though.

Love the way they say 'deifacted nethicite' in FFXII as well. Pure nonsense word but it's manipulations and deviations like that that set FFXII's translation apart from lots of other games.
    I've heard it argued now that Metal Gears Solid 2 is being revalued as some ambitious attempt at postmodern expression in video games or something. I don't really see it tbh. Maybe in a really superficial way.. maybe.

Deifacted sort of resembles deity and refacted (if that's a word).
    I saw MGS2 for what it was: a turd. You'd be mad to blame the translation team for that.
    Shakespearean english is amazing and VS is set in Ivalice btw.

H. H. Asquith

Like FFXII, or (playing atm) Vagrant Story. Sure, the original intention or whatever may get corrupted and lost in the localisation process, but you have to love that pseudo-Shakespearian thing they bring to the 'Ivalice' games (I've heard that VS is set in Ivalice though I'm not sure if that's just a retcon).

Ah, Alexander O. Smith's work. By far the best localiser out there. As for Vagrant Story being in Ivalice, apparently it is but anyone that's played it can see it was a total retcon.
    I've heard it argued now that Metal Gears Solid 2 is being revalued as some ambitious attempt at postmodern expression in video games or something. I don't really see it tbh. Maybe in a really superficial way.. maybe.

As Audrey herself said, it was one of the worst scripts she has ever read in her life. MGS2 does have quite a few clever ideas and it you could call 'post modern' if you are pretentious enough. It even succeeds at them to tell the truth. Doesn't help that the surrounding script is awful.

Anyway some thoughts on FFVII's story. It's not awful. I do agree totally that it's full of some excellent moments as well. However I think these moments are far better than the overall story. Not a bad thing before people give out, a lot of the Dragon Quests do a similar thing.

I think the characters in the game are excellently fleshed out with the exception of Vincent, he seemed a bit rushed. Each character gets their moment in the in the spotlight and they are some of the highlights of the games, the small vignettes that show what type of character they are. The characters backstories are all wonderful and the highlight narratively speaking.

The main narrative holding it all together is a bit weak in parts and mostly you can tell the game was very rushed. I'd say they had the characters backstories all nicely fleshed out in a design document and I remember reading that they were making up the story that tied it all together right up to the last minute. It starts off great, Midgar is just wonderful but once you leave midgar it loses a bit of steam. The areas outside midgar are all a bit disjointed and the world doesn't really mesh, not really helped by wildly fluctuating art styles, another by product of the crazy development process. Some plot points are nicely fleshed out while others like the sephiroth clones seem to get forgotten about. Some of it also gets washed over by the localisation, I'm guessing most of use never realised what the sephiroth we were chasing really was on our first time through the game.

It's an interesting one though, there's a book ready to be written on the development of this game and the influences that kept creeping in during the production of the game. It's unfortunate we might not find out about it.

Anyway the plot might get lost a bit towards the end but the pace never lets up which is very good thing. I found myself always wanting to see what was next and being rewarded all the time with great personal vignettes between the characters.

I think Square could to well to look at FFVII to see what went wrong with the series. It's all gone a bit Michael Bay. The best parts of FFVII weren't the contrived cutscenes with the Weapons, although they were entertaining. Mine were the date in Golden Saucer, Red XIII finding out about his father. the Zack and Cloud subquests. No action, just some great character drama. It's that character drama that holds the story together towards the end when it starts to fall apart a bit and starts becoming a weird Chrono Trigger knock off.

FFVII's best parts for me weren't the over the top summons or CG. Nor was it the delusions of pretention, after all the message of the over arching story didn't go beyond the average episode of Captain Planet. It's just some good character drama which carries the game. Even the story itself for all the nitpicking I could do on it is still excellently paced which in a PS1 is a rare and very good thing. There's not a boring moment, you just have to look at something like Xenogears to see how badly paced a JRPG story can get.

And before the moaning starts I'll try say something to calm people down, Persona 3 and 4 are kind of the same. The overarching narrative isn't what matters but the character interaction does.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

Vagrant Story's localisation is amazing. Definitely one of the best Shakespearean scripts for a game (although calling one two of your characters Rosencrantz and Guildenstern was a bit much, and Romeo Guildenstern no less!) I don't think XII worked nearly as well.

EDIT: I agree with what you say about characters driving the story. That being said some of my favourite parts of VIII are the action parts. For example
    the assassination attempt on Edea
    I find to be just amazing. Having just finished The Last Story made me think about it a lot more though as even though the story itself wasn't that great, the dialogue between the characters is incredibly well written and I consider the characters to be some of the most realistic I've seen in a JRPG at least. My most memorable parts of VII are just some of the small lines that the characters say after events, I think they capture the emotions quite well.

Of course then there's games like XIII that have terrible action sequences along with terrible character dialogue. :pac:

• Advertisement

Vagrant Story's localisation is amazing. Definitely one of the best Shakespearean scripts for a game (although calling one two of your characters Rosencrantz and Guildenstern was a bit much, and Romeo Guildenstern no less!) I don't think XII worked nearly as well.

You're being awfully complementary, Retr0.
    Matsuno (the director and one of the best storytellers in gaming) left the project before it was finished. I don't know what stage the story was at but I'd have loved to know what the finished product would have been like. Apparently, manly heroes aren't popular in Japan and Basch, who resembles Ashley Riot was replaced with Vaan. Just a guess on my part, mind.
    FFVII's story didn't have the same punch it had in Midgar. They'd set up a really cool Sci-fi environment and left it for a world map resembling FFVI in a lot of ways. That said the story has some great moments like
    the WEAPONS
    , Nibelheim, Kalm and so on which made me keep at it and see what would be next.
    I'd prefer it if they'd fleshed out Sephiroth's backstory instead of saying he's the top SOLDIER and I was somewhat disappointed with him as a villain. Then I played Crisis Core which completely redeemed him in my eyes.
    FFVII certainly has flaws but, like someone has already said, the overall experience of the game is way more than enough to outweigh them.
    So long as you never ever go near the PC version.

H. H. Asquith

Outside Midgar the game just feels a little too rustic. It's quite juxtaposed to the steampunk world of Midgar. A few places like Wutai stick out like a sore thumb. It's just a theory but I think the artists had created these places and they were then slotted into the story. It's not like they've done that before either, FFXIII was pretty much the same.

As for Sephiroth, I thought he turned a bit too quickly, it's kind of my only problem. As for Crisis Core I thought narratively that game was god awful other than letting us see sephiroth in happier days. Maybe being controlled by Jenova quite early on but still it's just too convenient.

He's no Kefka that's for sure :P I love that crazy clown.

As for Sephiroth, I thought he turned a bit too quickly, it's kind of my only problem. As for Crisis Core I thought narratively that game was god awful other than letting us see sephiroth in happier days. Maybe being controlled by Jenova quite early on but still it's just too convenient.

I always felt like they never went into his backstory enough for it to be a big deal that he turned. I think they did a great job in Crisis Core in that through Zack, a rookie, we got to see him for a while as the legendary hero which made me sympathise with him somewhat. Seeing Cloud again was cool as well.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭RedXIV

OK so last night we started again with the shinra massacre. More than once were there comments made about the atmosphere and its spookiness. Unfortunately she didn't quite make the connection with the blood trail on the floor and as such, couldn't get out of the specimen room for ages because from where she was looking, it looked the like hall leading out was on the upper level rather than the lower one. Looking at it with her, its a reasonable mistake to make but there was a "ah balls" moment when she finally got it.

She is also taking to the story well and starting to learn a bit more about Sephiroth. We've gone through pronouncing his name as well a few times :) but she really enjoyed (and completely nailed) the elevator boss and Rufus. She's really starting to understand the materia system now, for example, identifying that Enemy Skill materia is useless to her at the moment, cover is useless in a one man battle etc. This may not sound like a big deal to most people in here but for her this is well worth recognising as an achievement.

Rather comically, the motorbike mini game was a fun distraction but a lot harder than realised. She thought X was to speed up which is forgivable and the rather simple AI of the red bikers trying to draw you away working well on her, leaving her with Tifa on 10HP and Barret on 80HP at the start of the rollerball boss at the end. She took this well though, and set up everyone to be cured and tore through the boss. Like everyone I know who played the game the first time through, was thoroughly disgusted with Barret's MindBlow limit break :D

After leaving the city of Midgar, she's quite intrigued by the fact she's on a world map. And after a small bit of confusion about directions (walking northeast on the screen doesn't = walking northeast on the map) she got to Kalm.

I know alot of you were looking forward to this but I'm afraid to tell you, she's not that fond of the level of narrative here. We have stopped in the caves of Mt. Nibel with Sephiroth as a team member mainly because of gamers thumb and boredom. An interesting take on boredom though as she wants to play more but she wants to get back into the adventure. Although she is disgusted with the thought of Sephiroth killing Cloud's mother (as he reveals at the start of the flashback).

Other than that, not a lot was talked about. She said Cloud was her favourite character until this flashback and now he's boring her. She's gotten into the habit now of checking the shops for everything that might be of use and through all the leveling up she's been doing while lost, she's at a nice level to deal with just about anything. Hopefully the flashback won't put her off it too much and we'll get the rest of the game completed also.

P.S. we have also passed the 10 hour mark as set down in the original constraints and show no sign of stopping! Huzzah for the addictive nature of games!

RedXIV wrote: »
    OK so last night we started again with the shinra massacre. More than once were there comments made about the atmosphere and its spookiness. Unfortunately she didn't quite make the connection with the blood trail on the floor and as such, couldn't get out of the specimen room for ages because from where she was looking, it looked the like hall leading out was on the upper level rather than the lower one. Looking at it with her, its a reasonable mistake to make but there was a "ah balls" moment when she finally got it.

Tell her to turn on the indicators in the field, the ones that show entrances and exits. Those old PS1 RPGs with the prerendered backdrops can be confusing, especially for a newbie so it's always good to keep it on. FFVII isn't too confusing, it's no legend of dragoon, but I remember a few facepalm moments when I couldn't advance the plot because I couldn't find an entrance to the next area.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Yeah happens everyone I reckon, no shame in using the arrows.

Let's you know where to go and saves you feeling like a mong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

This thread is the best one in a long time. Thanks for sharing OP.

I remember being stuck in the construction maze and also in the train graveyard for a good bit. I'm not sure but I think I MIGHT have died to Reno the first time around as well. It was definitely a tough fight either way.

I'm not sure quite when I figured out that pressing select turned on the indicators. +1 for jumping in without even bothering with the controls part in the manual. Even after that I only used them when stuck. I just didn't like the look of them on the screen.

Also regarding Sephiroth:
    After the Shinra massacre I was convinced that Sephiroth was going to join up with me. I couldn't wait to get such a clearly overpowered and bad ass character on my side. A guy who hated Shinra as much as Avalanche, enemy of my enemy etc. Even when it was getting more and more obvious that this wasn't going to be, I kept deluding myself and believing it would happen. It was only very late in disc one that I finally had to accept this was not going to be. Man was I disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Kalm flashback is probably the most tedious moment in the game, backstory and its significance just feels too heavy at that stage of the game. If she gets past that the game really opens up from there.

• Advertisement

If she makes it far enough, her reaction to finding the Zolom impaled on the tree should be good. :D

Advertisement