Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wedding Band Typical Costs

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 westmeathband

Lads.... as a professional entertainer for over 20 years, I am appaled how this thread has been built up and torn down.

Lets get down to the nitty gritty.

2 piece band travelling 100km playing wedding for €1000.00 = €1500 PA system in a seat inca, one lad playing guitar singing and the other playing keyboard, playing styles from keyboard or €1.99 backing tracks for 2 hours.

less €30 for diesel in seat inca, (and assuming that no 2 piece in their right minds pays tax) total profit is 485 each

ON THE OTHER HAND......

5 piece professional band with website, CRO reg´d, VAT Reg´d and compliant etc doing same gig charging 2000

EXPENSES:

Merc sprinter lease (CREW CAB)
    Public Liabilty Insurance
    Commercial Motor insurance with 2.5 million indemnity
    30K of PA, lights etc
    Multiple instruments that require ongoing servicing
    liasing with client, phone calls email etc.
    rehearsals (any good band do 2 a week)
    a band this size will show up at 7pm to play at 9:30 (pro bands know hotels run late)

NOW:
    Less VAT, Less 20% income tax, (43% straight off the top)
    total earned: €1112

5 way split = 222
    LESS income tax (Assuming they work @ 40%)
    total earned about €100 PER MAN!!!!!

in reality, a corporate band earn half to a QUARTER compared to their dodging counterparts.
    If a dodgy band wrecked your wedding, you would have no grounds to defend yourself, whereas a PRO outfit..............

Well, professionals don´t ruin weddings, but if they did, they would have to play in the domains of the law, and can sue, and be sued!

does that €1000 look so appealing now?

happyman81 wrote: »
    I think up to 1000 is fair for a solid 4-5 piece cover (wedding) band. If you want to add a brass section, etc, then obviously the price rises. My posts above refer to your standard pub cover band charging well over 1000 for what is often sub-standard fare.

i assume you dont play, as you haven´t a CLUE what your talking about.

no point in keyboard bashing complaining about these "God Awful" bands you hear at weddings.
    Maybe your friends are booking cheap bands, and telling you they are costing more, getting bigger presents from you guys etc.

Don´t get me wrong, there are BRUTAL bands out there, but none that play weddings, there are the stable 50 in the country, and in fairness, if brides and grooms leave it to the last minute to book a band, they should expect nothing less than the dregs of the barrell!!!!

start a band dude...... you´d be the cheapest in the country!!!!!!

peanuts = Monkeys!:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭happyman81

I think up to 1000 is fair for a solid 4-5 piece cover (wedding) band. If you want to add a brass section, etc, then obviously the price rises. My posts above refer to your standard pub cover band charging well over 1000 for what is often sub-standard fare.

i assume you dont play, as you haven´t a CLUE what your talking about.

no point in keyboard bashing complaining about these "God Awful" bands you hear at weddings.
    Maybe your friends are booking cheap bands, and telling you they are costing more, getting bigger presents from you guys etc.

Don´t get me wrong, there are BRUTAL bands out there, but none that play weddings, there are the stable 50 in the country, and in fairness, if brides and grooms leave it to the last minute to book a band, they should expect nothing less than the dregs of the barrell!!!!

start a band dude...... you´d be the cheapest in the country!!!!!!

peanuts = Monkeys!:D:D:D

I am a musician, something you could have out by reading the thread properly. I have been to several weddings and I have never been impressed with a single band. Not one. Again, you could have found this out by simply reading the thread. I tried to avoid your style of crass generalisations, by saying that I am sure that some bands out there are probably great, again, something you could have found out by reading the thread. Instead of reading the thread, you just jumped straight to be offended, as you assumed that I was directly attacking your band, which I wasn't, again this could have been learned by reading the thread.

Let me know if you want me to clarify this again.

I am a musician, something you could have out by reading the thread properly. I have been to several weddings and I have never been impressed with a single band. Not one.

well you don´t post like a working musician.... not a PRO one anyway.

And as a musician, your ego will take over, as you scrutinise every little thing going on.

i dont suffer from "Crass Generalisations", I state the facts, as a professional, which you are oblivious/ignorant to.

I have listed the various outlining expenses/logistics that a professional band entails versus the "Typical Pub Band". albeit covers or originals.

Bottom Line, unless they are doing a showcase (which is normally in a hotel) you will rarely see a Pro wedding band play pubs, as they can fill their diary with Parties, Functions, Moter-in-law´s funerals etc. it will be a cold day in hell you will ever see these bands giggiing in The Pint!

and i never said you were attacking MY band, you are attacking bands in general. which means you are biased, to yourself, and your opinions.

I bet when these "God Awful" bands were at these weddings, i could put a months salary that YOU were the only one that complained, or at least were a hypocrite, and went up to them and told them that they were great, nice Strat... Have ye ever heard of.. EGO TRIP.......EGO TRIP..EGO TRIP..

I don´t think you will need to clarify anything on this. as being quite honest, i don´t want to hear it.

plus i dont think you are a PRO musician in the sense, bedroom warrior at the absolute least, as there is not 1 musician in this country that would charge X when they can get Y....... yet alone be good enough that you could take a night off to go to a wedding, when you could be playing at one.

i´ve yet to see EOA make the Weddings OnLine top 100 bands...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭happyman81

I am a musician, something you could have out by reading the thread properly. I have been to several weddings and I have never been impressed with a single band. Not one.

well you don´t post like a working musician.... not a PRO one anyway.

And as a musician, your ego will take over, as you scrutinise every little thing going on.

i dont suffer from "Crass Generalisations", I state the facts, as a professional, which you are oblivious/ignorant to.

I have listed the various outlining expenses/logistics that a professional band entails versus the "Typical Pub Band". albeit covers or originals.

Bottom Line, unless they are doing a showcase (which is normally in a hotel) you will rarely see a Pro wedding band play pubs, as they can fill their diary with Parties, Functions, Moter-in-law´s funerals etc. it will be a cold day in hell you will ever see these bands giggiing in The Pint!

and i never said you were attacking MY band, you are attacking bands in general. which means you are biased, to yourself, and your opinions.

I bet when these "God Awful" bands were at these weddings, i could put a months salary that YOU were the only one that complained, or at least were a hypocrite, and went up to them and told them that they were great, nice Strat... Have ye ever heard of.. EGO TRIP.......EGO TRIP..EGO TRIP..

I don´t think you will need to clarify anything on this. as being quite honest, i don´t want to hear it.

plus i dont think you are a PRO musician in the sense, bedroom warrior at the absolute least, as there is not 1 musician in this country that would charge X when they can get Y....... yet alone be good enough that you could take a night off to go to a wedding, when you could be playing at one.

i´ve yet to see EOA make the Weddings OnLine top 100 bands...........

Probably because we are not a wedding band, or a cover band. I used to be in a cover band, and it made me want to blow my brains out. Each to their own.

Cheers for the personal attacks by the way. I guess thats my reward for being reasonable.

I'll leave it there, I really shouldn't dignify this by responding any further.

• Advertisement

no personal attack intended buddy, and if you feel I did, I apologise.
    we are ALL guilty (as musicians) of doing the "that band´s useless" spiel now and then.

it´s just amazing that none of the corp bands, or their management clarifed, or justified their cost, which is a realistic fact.

Being in this business, and knowing it inside out, from the player end, to the management end, i thought it would be beneficial to outline the costs involved in putting something like that on the road. these are realistic costs I face every day.

I believe it gives piece of mind to the bride/groom that their money is not being spent on a half-arsed outfit, there is a FINE line between a great night, and a ruined wedding, and as the band, along with the photographs, are the one thing they will see more than once, as they will be on the wedding video.

at least the expense, i feel i have justified, in an ideal world.

let´s leave it at this, as i don´t want to hog the thread any futher than required.

Advertisement