Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wedding Band Typical Costs

Options
  • 27-02-2012 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    What's the typical cost of a wedding band, excluding DJ? Standard 2-2.5 hour set or whatever. Do they typically include travel related expenses, if the gig is not local to them?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 justmusic

pm sent:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭keyboardcook

It's like any product or service, and will range from 500 to 3000, depending on who you get to do it.

The key to this is to make sure you see the band live before you book them, and see as many as possible to get a good overall comparison on prices.

Decide what style of band you want- Rat Pack jazz, theme bands, rock and pop, country- there are many types.

Popular bands may be booked as many as 12 to 18 months in advance, so begin your search as early as possible.

I've sent you a PM with my own group (shameless self promotion).

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Gate-crash a few weddings, to see what the bands you're looking into are like live.

Errr! To be fair, how would you like gate crashers at your wedding?

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭godfrey

Prepare to be hosed!
    Bands who play bars for maybe €300 will charge €1500 or more to play the same set at a wedding. I think it's disgraceful. I hope you find a great band at a reasonable price, and you have a super day...

g

• Advertisement

Actually godfrey, bands will play in a pub for free and charge 1500 for a wedding.

In business it is called a lost leader.

Look at the average amount of hours spent per individual at a pub gig- between preparation and set up, playing, take down etc you are looking at five hours.

Split between five guys, that works out at 12 euro per hour late night.

Take out cost of transport, tolls, repayments on equipment, wear and tear on equipment and vehicles, it doesn't really leave much to be desired.

So, as I said- a lost leader in the hope of getting a return on real business.

It is business at the end of the day, and a professional musician will have children to feed like any other professional.

However, if you would be happy to pay someone five euros take home per hour to play at your wedding, knock yourself out.

Peanuts=monkeys,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

godfrey wrote: »
    Prepare to be hosed!
    Bands who play bars for maybe €300 will charge €1500 or more to play the same set at a wedding. I think it's disgraceful. I hope you find a great band at a reasonable price, and you have a super day...

g
    How is it disgraceful, exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Fandango

How is it disgraceful, exactly?

Look at the IW thread, this guy seems to be very anti-bands! Seems the thousands bands pay for gear/rehersals and recordings means we should all still either charge little or pay to play.

Fandango wrote: »
    Look at the IW thread, this guy seems to be very anti-bands! Seems the thousands bands pay for gear/rehersals and recordings means we should all still either charge little or pay to play.
    Yeah, I noticed after I posted this. I think he's completely oblivious to reality.

It's all well and good saying "they play for €400 in pubs, why charge more for weddings? Disgracederp", but there are many good reasons why.
    1. YOU might think €300/€400/whatever is great pay for a night's work, but that's not all going to one person-there's more than one person in a band. And the likes of wedding bands, generally, have A LOT more than one member. Also remember, there's more to a band than the people playing the instruments (unless they do all the extra work involved themselves-extra work).
    2. Pub gigs, for the bands of wedding-playing standard, are usually regular-they'll be playing a rotation of certain venues, that they can (somewhat) depend on. Weddings are private affairs, a band may have to take time off playing a regular slot/work/whatever else.
    3. Playing a wedding usually means travelling for the band and all their gear. This isn't free.
    4. What would you reckon is a fair price for a plumber/some other type of private contractor for a few hours work at an odd unsociable time?

That's all I can think of right now (I had another point, but I've forgotten it), but there are plenty reasons why €1000-€1500 is a fairly standard rate for a wedding band to charge. An incredible amount of work goes into ensuring they sound their best when you hire them, and despite what many people seem to think, the vast majority of bands are not "living the life", making "money for nothing". To deny them fair pay is, in my opinion, just being a bolloccks.
    EDIT; just realised my points were already made by keyboardcook above, ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,080 ✭✭✭mada999

yep, and i hope the cover band are registered for tax.........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 Claim The Frame

Once the word wedding is mentioned the price seems to triple for everything! It really depends on the band you are going for they can be anywhere between €800 to €5000 in my experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Enigma IE

Thanks for the feedback. I already had a band in mind, spoke to their manager and got a price. I think its a reasonable price for a wedding band of this quality, plus the commute to and from the venue. The fact its a wedding means the price is often tripled or more, that's the nature of the game unfortunately.

Going to see them live in couple of weeks, give the OH a chance to see them, then do the deal if she's happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Claim The Frame

Enigma IE wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback. I already had a band in mind, spoke to their manager and got a price. I think its a reasonable price for a wedding band of this quality, plus the commute to and from the venue. The fact its a wedding means the price is often tripled or more, that's the nature of the game unfortunately.

Going to see them live in couple of weeks, give the OH a chance to see them, then do the deal if she's happy.

Great enjoy it, it's such an exciting time!;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭spankadamonkee

Enigma IE wrote: »

No recession here then. Especially if you are willing to pay a band manager aswell. Fair play

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Enigma IE

No recession here then. Especially if you are willing to pay a band manager aswell. Fair play

To be fair, how they split the fee is nothing to do with me. If they employ a manager to handle their bookings, scheduling and I'm sure dealing with crap, so be it.

I've agreed a €1600 fee with them, which includes 400km round trip for them, plus whatever tolls. It's a fair price for a well-known band, usually 4 or 5 piece, plus I've seen them live at least 3 times myself in at regular gigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭godfrey

Fandango wrote: »
    Look at the IW thread, this guy seems to be very anti-bands!

You know nothing about me and that's a rediculous, insulting and uninformed statement.

I am, however, keen on fair play and I don't believe the fees charged for wedding bands reflect fair play. Why should a band demand 4-5 times more to play at a wedding than what they are happy to accept for a bar gig?

g

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭happyman81

Prepare to be hosed!

g

Dead right. I have seen some god awful bands at weddings. So bad, it actually annoyed me that they were so bad, so unprofessional and yet getting paid silly money. In fact, the majority of wedding bands I have seen have been of a very poor standard.

To the OP, like people say, try to see the band play before you book them. Anyone can make themselves look good in a video or demo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

I am, however, keen on fair play and I don't believe the fees charged for wedding bands reflect fair play. Why should a band demand 4-5 times more to play at a wedding than what they are happy to accept for a bar gig?

g

We dont charge anything extra for a wedding, unless there are lots of requests in advance, we need to play longer or we do a dj set at the end. Our fee is bases on a few simple factors. The size of the venue, the smaller the venue the less equiptment we need, so we can get set up quickly and packed up quickly. How far we need to travel. Mid week gigs may cost extra if members have to take a day off work, only fair.

You get what you pay for. I play rock/pop covers, not a typical wedding band. I was at a wedding last summer, and the band were amazing. I had never heard of them. They were able to entertain ages 8-80, which is what you want for a wedding band.

You know nothing about me and that's a rediculous, insulting and uninformed statement.

g
    I, and other posters have explained it. Given circumstances, wedding pay is fair.

happyman81 wrote: »
    Dead right. I have seen some god awful bands at weddings. So bad, it actually annoyed me that they were so bad, so unprofessional and yet getting paid silly money. In fact, the majority of wedding bands I have seen have been of a very poor standard.

To the OP, like people say, try to see the band play before you book them. Anyone can make themselves look good in a video or demo.
    ?????? How much is silly money in your opinion??
    Btw I do agree that you should go see a band before booking them for anything, judge yourself. If you complain after, then you're a moany ****

• Advertisement

?????? How much is silly money in your opinion??
    Btw I do agree that you should go see a band before booking them for anything, judge yourself. If you complain after, then you're a moany ****

€1500 to bash out a few covers songs is crazy money. I also think €300 is too low for bands to play in bars, I did it myself and found that the time and effort it took to work on our set simply didn't make it worth my while. But €1500 is just crazy, especially judging by the quality of wedding bands I have seen. Most of them play with one eye on the door the whole night, are mediocre musicians, and have no stage presence. For that you could end up paying thousands. I'm sure there must be quality acts out there, but I have been to more than a few weddings, and I have never been impressed once. Not once. In my opinion, the whole wedding band industry seems based around exploiting the married couple, just as the photographer, florist, etc do. One big racket.

I would pay that money for a quality wedding act, but unfortunately most people can't spot the difference.

€1500 to bash out a few covers songs is crazy money. I also think €300 is too low for bands to play in bars, I did it myself and found that the time and effort it took to work on our set simply didn't make it worth my while. But €1500 is just crazy, especially judging by the quality of wedding bands I have seen. Most of them play with one eye on the door the whole night, are mediocre musicians, and have no stage presence. For that you could end up paying thousands. I'm sure there must be quality acts out there, but I have been to more than a few weddings, and I have never been impressed once. Not once. In my opinion, the whole wedding band industry seems based around exploiting the married couple, just as the photographer, florist, etc do. One big racket.

I would pay that money for a quality wedding act, but unfortunately most people can't spot the difference.
    And I agree fully. A quality band is worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭AoifeCork

€1500 to bash out a few covers songs is crazy money.

Oh sweetie... anyone that would seek out a wedding band and think so little of their own day that "bashing out songs" would be the height of their talent/contribution for €1500 is clearly insane in the first place... You want somebody to stand there po-faced and churn out some 3 chords tricks? Then yes, of course 1500 is insane. You want a professional outfit that will entertain, impress, look well, be at the fore of your guests enjoyment and make your day as special as they can? You need to pay them accordingly.

Let's say 2000 for a 10 piece... that's 200 each... factor in taxes, petrol costs etc.. we're getting paid about 20 euro an hour, roughly speaking.

AoifeCork wrote: »
    Oh sweetie... anyone that would seek out a wedding band and think so little of their own day that "bashing out songs" would be the height of their talent/contribution for €1500 is clearly insane in the first place... You want somebody to stand there po-faced and churn out some 3 chords tricks? Then yes, of course 1500 is insane. You want a professional outfit that will entertain, impress, look well, be at the fore of your guests enjoyment and make your day as special as they can? You need to pay them accordingly.

Let's say 2000 for a 10 piece... that's 200 each... factor in taxes, petrol costs etc.. we're getting paid about 20 euro an hour, roughly speaking.

€1500 was the number quoted above, sweetie ("Bands who play bars for maybe €300 will charge €1500 or more to play the same set at a wedding."). €2000 for the likes of what I have seen at weddings would be criminal. Like I said, yet to see a good wedding band, looking forward to seeing one, but not expecting to any time soon. Why? Because people who provide wedding services tend to offer the lowest quality for the highest price. I see no reason why bands would be exempt, and my own observations have failed to reject that theory... so far.

Like I said, I'm sure there are plenty of great acts out there. But they are in the minority, and the rest are around the same price. What hope do the organisers have with so much crap out there?

Not attacking your band (unless you were one of the bands I saw) here, you could be one of the rare good ones!

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭SuperGrover

A lot of bars will provide PA and engineer on site. Besides cost-saving, it also minimizes hassle.

For a wedding, the band usually has to supply all this.

But, yeah, some function bands are dreadful. Some aren't, though, and will usually charge what the market will bear.

Also, forgot to mention, a band may play 'pub' gigs in order to hone / perfect their act and try out new material live. The fruits of that labour will then show when being hired directly for a wedding / event.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I had troubles with a wedding band for my own wedding a few years ago. Initially, a friends band were going to play - we were going to cover expenses as they were travelling to Dublin from Cavan, but they had only done a handful of gigs and so were not a polished act. My brother and I were going to jam on 3 or 4 songs as we used to be in a band years ago.
    All this was agreed months in advance until a month before, they suddenly decided they were worth 1500 plus expenses.
    Ended up getting another friend of a friends ex band to reform and play for the night for half that, plus I picked up their bar tab so everyone was happy.

Fair enough. If they weren't a polished act, a bit cheeky to ask for that money, especially as they had agreed a different price.

I'm in a band that so far have primarily played pubs, etc. but we're being asked to do weddings, have a few booked now. We do mainly covers but we don't do Sweet Caroline on request. We're a 10 piece, all good musicians, great set, hugely rehearsed, and play a particular genre of music. So, we go down well at functions but we don't sell ourselves as such, primarily to protect our right to play music we think is good, rather than being dictated to.

There's not much point us playing a private function, where we supply all the equipment, etc. for less than, say, 1500 or thereabouts. It's just reality and if we don't get booked for these, so be it, we'll play anywhere for the love of the music, even pubs for 300, as they're usually fairly hassle-free gigs and we get to play to a good crowd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

€1500 to bash out a few covers songs is crazy money. I also think €300 is too low for bands to play in bars

Im surprised nobody has pointed this out yet. at the moment, my 4 piece band would get 300-400 for a standard pub set on a sat night in 2012, however, in 2006, that would have been around 700. Difference being, the pubs were literally full then, they are not now. There are less pubs now, gigs are harder come by and the pay is a lot less, also diesel was a LOT cheaper then. 300-400 now is tiny money, and at times im wonder why i still do it.

Look at the big professional cover bands, I wont name names, but with them you know what your getting, and for the most part are amazing musicans.
    paying 1000 for a 4 piece professional band, each member getting 250 is a myth. Bands are, in most cases owned by one or two members who do the day to day running of the band, such as buying the gear, maintaining the gear, booking gigs, putting diesel in the van, make van payments. The other members are given a set list and dates for gigs, and are have a set wage per gig. Same as any other business where you have "the boss" and his workers.

Who is to say what is a good price for a wedding band? how long is a piece of string? Go and see as many as you can, if you like them, its 100% up to the bride and groom to determine if the price is correct.

• Advertisement

I think up to 1000 is fair for a solid 4-5 piece cover (wedding) band. If you want to add a brass section, etc, then obviously the price rises. My posts above refer to your standard pub cover band charging well over 1000 for what is often sub-standard fare.

Advertisement